Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 22:33   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw these Landmaster pictures from sale advertisements over the net. All are from outside India.
Link and country of each car is mentioned against each of the pictures
These are not Landmasters but Morris Oxfords Series II. These had the 1489 cc, BMC, overhead valve engine and a heater in the higher versions.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 22:51   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These are not Landmasters but Morris Oxfords Series II. These had the 1489 cc, BMC, overhead valve engine and a heater in the higher versions.
Thanks Anjanji.
Were this, the same 1489 cc BMC engines, that powered the OHV Ambys in India from 1960?
Some of these cars were powered by 1620 cc engines.
Still some more Morris Oxfords from the same Australian site.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-111.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-222.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th March 2015 at 23:03.
Old 17th March 2015, 23:15   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anjanji.
Were this, the same 1489 cc BMC engines, that powered the OHV Ambys in India from 1960?
Some more from the Australian site.
Yes Rajeev, the 1476 cc side valve was consigned to history for the Oxford plant of Morris Motors, after the departure of the Morris Oxford MO Series (our Hindustan 14), whereas the same side valve was exported to India and fitted in all Landmasters (11,605 were manufactured between 1954 - 57/58). The same engine was also fitted in the early Ambassadors (we call them Mark I) from 1958 - 60. Only in 1960, we could get the overhead valve engines here for Ambassadors.

The bonnet scoop on these Morris Oxfords indicate that the OE Heater is fitted to the car.

Whereas, across the Atlantic, the Chevrolet six cylinder in line engine from the early 1930's vintage, fitted in the 1930's Chevrolets ( the 1937 Chevrolet Master and Master Deluxehad an improved OHV engine) also had the overhead valve configuration. The same Chevrolet engine continued with the Fleetmasters and even the 1950's models with some improvements.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th March 2015 at 23:17.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 11:12   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearphile View Post
This is a family heirloom - my father's 1962 Ambassador Mark II which, during the 1980s got modified into a Mark II with some Mark III and Mark IV accessories. I am in the process of restoring the accessories back to the original Mark II equipment. It still has the original OHV engine, original body, gearbox and a number of the accessories. I hope to create a separate restoration thread, share the work so far and also solicit advice in the process.
Quote:
It is a 1962 registered Mark II. Growing up in the 80s, I remember the original Mark II front grill and many of the accessories like the combination ignition switch, the Smith MPH speedometers etc all of which got replaced during that time.
Good luck on the restoration, I am glad to see a family heirloom being restored. For identity best is to check the RC book and chassis numbers. If she is a 1962, she will be the first OHV, also called a Mark I. The Mark 2 was first shown in 1963.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 19:10   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at your car # and engine #, it seems slightly older than my father's late 1962 Mark II. It is probably an early 1962 car.

It is a 1962 registered Mark II. Growing up in the 80s, I remember the original Mark II front grill and many of the accessories like the combination ignition switch, the Smith MPH speedometers etc all of which got replaced during that time.

I am doing a full restoration to Mark II. Front grill, parking lights, decals, original Smith meters, ivory gear knob, original tail lights, number place light, original steering with the indicator switch, original headlight rims, dome light and everything else I could find missing. I am also getting it repainted to one of the original colors - dove grey.
1962 model is MARK1, not markII
also mark II usually came with autometer meters and Mark1 came with Smith meters.

Last edited by ajay99 : 18th March 2015 at 19:12.
Old 19th March 2015, 22:39   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
1962 model is MARK1, not markII
also mark II usually came with autometer meters and Mark1 came with Smith meters.
Our RC book says it is a 1962 car. I clearly remember the original Mark 2 front grill before it was replaced in the 1980s. The wikipedia entry for Hindustan Ambassador also says Mark 2s came to the market in 1962. For the first couple of years, Mark 2 apparently still came with Smith meters before getting replaced by Autometer meters and later by Yenkay.
Old 19th March 2015, 22:50   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our RC book says it is a 1962 car. I clearly remember the original Mark 2 front grill before it was replaced in the 1980s.
The Mark II was introduced in end 1963.
Old 20th March 2015, 00:51   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
The Mark II was introduced in end 1963.
I am not sure that is correct. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindust...ssador#Mark-II. Also looking back at old threads in team-bhp, I find several posters mentioning Mark II line starting in 1962. In fact, one of them was you, Rajeev

In any case, I think we need some good historical sources to verify and possibly catalogue various models over the years.
Old 20th March 2015, 01:23   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good luck on the restoration, I am glad to see a family heirloom being restored. For identity best is to check the RC book and chassis numbers. If she is a 1962, she will be the first OHV, also called a Mark I. The Mark 2 was first shown in 1963.
Thanks, @karlosdeville.

The chassis number is in the vicinity of 111-29000. It is also quite possible that we are reading the year in the RC book wrong - it is a really old worn out book. My father passed away long ago, I will ask my uncle if he knows the year for sure.
Old 20th March 2015, 10:11   #1165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure that is correct. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindust...ssador#Mark-II. Also looking back at old threads in team-bhp, I find several posters mentioning Mark II line starting in 1962. In fact, one of them was you, Rajeev

In any case, I think we need some good historical sources to verify and possibly catalogue various models over the years.
I remember seeing ads of the introduction of the Mark II with the numbers '1963' displayed on the plate. I don't remember seeing any ads dated 1962 for the Mark II, but I could just as well be wrong. I do own a 1962 Mark 1 and a 1965 Mark II.

Wikipedia don't forget is written by people like you and me, so not to be taken as always authentic.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 10:35   #1166
Senior - BHPian

See this excerpt from Business standard. Link: http://www.business-standard.com/art...2501236_1.html
Quote:
Not that the Amby's ample curves were immune to changing market tastes. In 1975, it was given a facelift with the addition of new tail-lights, a number-plate light, rounded parking lights and a new dashboard and called Ambassador Mark III (Mark II had been launched 12 years before in 1963). HM pushed the new Amby as "a big size family car" through advertisements. The company also came out with an innovative scheme for its existing customers, offering to replace an old car-body with the Mark III shell.
And from Hindustan Times. Link: http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunch...1-1228984.aspx
Quote:
It underwent a frontal facelift with a closely-checkered grille and was named the Ambassador Mark II. It would be 12 years before another redesign.
And this is much more important as the First Mark II was presented to the then Prime Minister, Pandit Nehruji. Link:http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/H...k_I_to_Mark_IV
Quote:
In 1963 it underwent a minor frontal facelift with a closely chequered grill and was named as the Ambassador Mark II. As with other British designed Mark cars, while there was never really any Ambassador Mark I, the arrival of the Mark II got people calling the older model, Mark I. Incidentally, the first ever produced Mark II in black was gifted by HM to the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. In this period the Sales Manager, Helmuth Lindeman, unsuccessfully tried to persuade Birla Senior to use an Ambassador, as that would in his view, have improved the quality. The fact that Mr Birla had doubts on the reliability of the car and was not willing to use the car made in his factory was a clear indication of its quality.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th March 2015 at 10:52.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:27   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
I remember seeing ads of the introduction of the Mark II with the numbers '1963' displayed on the plate. I don't remember seeing any ads dated 1962 for the Mark II, but I could just as well be wrong. I do own a 1962 Mark 1 and a 1965 Mark II.

Wikipedia don't forget is written by people like you and me, so not to be taken as always authentic.
Agreed about wikipedia. Hence, I said that we need more historical inputs. If you don't mind, could you please share the approximate chassis number of your 1962 Mark I ? That should help date my father's car (in the 29000+ range). I will also recheck the worn out RC book and if time permits, ask a friend at the RTO to check the original records. I will ask my father's body shop guy as well - he is still not retired and may remember what was there in the original car (which he changed).
Old 20th March 2015, 12:36   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you don't mind, could you please share the approximate chassis number of your 1962 Mark I ? That should help date my father's car (in the 29000+ range).
Here you go, first registered in October 1962

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-10.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:49   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go, first registered in October 1962
Thanks @karlosdeville. Our car is about 5000 cars older, so it is probably a 1962 Mark I. Maybe the grill was changed or I don't remember correctly. I looked at the photos in your team-bhp garage - your 1962 Mark I car looks identical to ours except the front grill. So, restoring to Mark I should be relatively easier.
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:10   #1170
Senior - BHPian

More on the Mark II; this time from the newsroom of HM itself.
Link: http://www.hindmotor.com/article1.asp
Quote:
It started production of the Landmaster in 1954, and in 1957 began the production of the Ambassador. Later tie-ups with General Motors Corporation of USA, Vauxhall Motors, UK, Marion Power Shovel Co, USA led to new products being launched. In 1963 commenced the production of the Ambassador Mark 2.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks