Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 15:27   #1291
BHPian

Re: Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)

With reference to my previous post, the update is that my friend has abandoned the idea of restoring his car. He now wants to sell the car which is in a non-working condition. He is quoting a high price for it.. Here are the pictures of the cars that he sent me via e-mail.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-d1.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-d2.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-d3.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-d4.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th August 2011 at 20:10. Reason: Edited post on poster's request
Old 9th August 2011, 15:42   #1292
Senior - BHPian

1. complete Body work needed
2. Engine ?????
3. Head lamps are of later models, needs re size to original spec
4. Center light and the mush missing on the front grille

How about interiors Rahul bhai.

Looking at the car Rahul bhai it does need a complete restoration, as you said it is in non working condition so there could be a lot of surprises in stored but over all can be taken as a project but,depending on the price quoted but what is that unrealistic price that he is asking let me also have the shock of it . My bid would be if it falls under 15-20k price range.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:49   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Rahul ji does this dukkar have provision for the crank handle ? A hole for the same can be seen on the front bumper.
Bala bhai are you planning to purchase this car. As quoted by Rahul ji if the owner is stating unrealistic price then it would definitely be somewhere around 40 to 60K.
Old 9th August 2011, 22:03   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Rahul ji does this dukkar have provision for the crank handle ? A hole for the same can be seen on the front bumper.
Bala bhai are you planning to purchase this car. As quoted by Rahul ji if the owner is stating unrealistic price then it would definitely be somewhere around 40 to 60K.
Nice question, I never heard of anything like starting a Elegant by handle, Rahul please clarify on this. If the car comes at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind having it Sagar bhai, let Rahul give that magic figure.
Old 9th August 2011, 22:17   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Rahul..Its sad that your friend has abandoned the idea of restoring this Elegant.I will check out the car over the weekend.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:39   #1296
Senior - BHPian

The car has still got the original rim on the front right side but it seems only one on the car, hope he has the other 3 or if lucky 4 four somewhere. I could also see the tail lamp body on the car so parts are pretty much with the car except the front mush and the center light, if you check the 3 picture I feel some difference is it the illusion or the car is looking as if it is having a abnormal shape in the rear near the 'C' piller, the area where the boot hinges are fixed. I want to see the interiors of the car.

Ram anna if ok I would wish to accompany you, Rahul bhai any info why this car was abandoned?.

Last edited by chanu : 9th August 2011 at 23:45.
Old 10th August 2011, 03:22   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Nice question, I never heard of anything like starting a Elegant by handle, Rahul please clarify on this. If the car comes at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind having it Sagar bhai, let Rahul give that magic figure.
Sagar & Bala : I had seen a few pictures of Fiat 1100s having a hole in the front bumper for the crank handle. But I don't know if it really has a provision to start the engine using a crank handle. Experts comment. I did not see my friend's car in person as planned last weekend. The pictures were sent to me by him via email. The price that he is quoting is 35,000 which I find is too much for a car that is not in a working condition. Plus we do not know how the insides are. I have emailed him to send me more pictures of the interiors, bonnet, dicky and back side of the car. Apart from this I have also enquired about the papers of the car which I fear will not be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Rahul bhai any info why this car was abandoned?.
Bala : Not sure as to why my friend has abandoned the project. He called me last week stating the he is starting the restoration of the car. Then yesterday I receive an email stating that he wants to sell the car in the current unrestored condition. Probably the thought of devoting time, hunting for spares, mechanics, denters, painters etc. must be the main reason behind him abandoning the project. The reason will be clear only after I meet/speak with him.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:25   #1298
Senior - BHPian

As far as the crank handle is concerned, my father told me that one of our relative used to have a Dukkar Fiat with the provision for crank handle. He used to park it at our place back in 70's accompanying a couple of Fiats. The car was started once a month with the handle and was driven inside the house compound. I really doubted if it was a Fiat but now i am pretty sure that it must have indeed been one if at all they came with this setup.

Regarding the price if the papers are in order, then 20 to 25k is a fair deal considering its a Dukkar. I have witnessed a rusted Dukkar selling here for 40k that too without any fittings. Engine too was consuming oil.
As Bala bhai already pointed out most cosmetic bits are still intact though can't comment till more pictures of exterior and interior are posted.
FCCHians if possible do save this car from falling into wrong hands.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th August 2011 at 09:27.
Old 10th August 2011, 11:22   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
The price that he is quoting is 35,000 which I find is too much for a car that is not in a working condition. Plus we do not know how the insides are. I have emailed him to send me more pictures of the interiors, bonnet, dicky and back side of the car. Apart from this I have also enquired about the papers of the car which I fear will not be in order.
Quote:
Regarding the price if the papers are in order, then 20 to 25k is a fair deal considering its a Dukkar. I have witnessed a rusted Dukkar selling here for 40k that too without any fittings. Engine too was consuming oil.
I second that. In fact IMHO 35,000 could be considered an "ok" price for this car with papers. Being your friend, touchwood you could talk him into coming down a bit. Even if this car were with a scrappie, he would've demanded just as much. When you first mentioned that he is quoting a high price, I had assumed it to be far more than this!
With due respect to your friend, he apparently finds this car to be reasonably 'valuable' now as opposed to what he treated it as earlier so maybe he feels its worth asking such a price. At the same time, he is also not going overboard compared to many others, especially our friendly local 'dalals' who would also have such cars in similar condition and quote higher, as sagar mentioned. (With due respect to your friend again, hope he doesnt read this! )

I do hope this car goes into the right hands.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th August 2011 at 11:34.
Old 10th August 2011, 13:31   #1300
BHPian

Called up my friend today. He was at office hence could not speak to him in detail. Here are the details that I got :

- As far as the papers are concerned, he said the last tax paid was in 1987. He was not sure when the registration expired. He will get back on this. He still has the old book type RC. There is no insurance.

- The following parts are missing : Radiator, Petrol Tank, Alternator (he said it may be lying somewhere in his house) and most important of all, the Air Filter which is unique to these models!!

- He said that the reason for abandoning the restoration is that he feels that he may not be able to devote enough time for it. In a way it is good that he realised his limitations before starting the project rather than realising it half way through.

I will get more pictures of the car in a day or two.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:11   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Rahul bhai Thanks for your information, in fact even I am happy looking at the price after you saying owner asking for a very high price and somehow feel this car will be SAVED and will be with us.

However it might be reasonable in pricing but it will still be a task to get it back to original status considering the engine not working, radiator, air cleaner (iconic component) and other part missing apart form the parts which needs to be brought. I hope & wish they are with the owner somewhere and finds them, I am sure the owner might not sell it to a scrappie as he intended to save it. I am sure someone out there is looking for this car and the car for that owner, hope they both meet up.

Rahul bhai any flash back on this car that you remember or the current owner wouldn't mind to sharing with us.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:27   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Definitly Bala.We will go togather.I will call you once Im back in Hyderabad on Friday.
Old 10th August 2011, 20:52   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Called up my friend today. He was at office hence could not speak to him in detail. Here are the details that I got :

- As far as the papers are concerned, he said the last tax paid was in 1987. He was not sure when the registration expired. He will get back on this. He still has the old book type RC. There is no insurance.

- The following parts are missing : Radiator, Petrol Tank, Alternator (he said it may be lying somewhere in his house) and most important of all, the Air Filter which is unique to these models!!

- He said that the reason for abandoning the restoration is that he feels that he may not be able to devote enough time for it. In a way it is good that he realised his limitations before starting the project rather than realising it half way through.

I will get more pictures of the car in a day or two.

Rahul Waghmare.
Well thats decades of tax pending on the car. I think the renewal of RC would also cost a lot though insurance is not that much of an issue. Regarding the missing parts, i think Rad., petrol tank and Alternator (though originally it would be Dynamo) can be easily sourced/ fitted. The drum type Air filter is hard to find if not impossible and i feel it shouldn't be the deciding factor for the restoration project.
Rahul bhai just curious to know, is the engine of the car seized.
Old 10th August 2011, 22:36   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well thats decades of tax pending on the car. I think the renewal of RC would also cost a lot though insurance is not that much of an issue. Regarding the missing parts, i think Rad., petrol tank and Alternator (though originally it would be Dynamo) can be easily sourced/ fitted. The drum type Air filter is hard to find if not impossible and i feel it shouldn't be the deciding factor for the restoration project.
Actually in this state (AP), there is fortunately no annual tax on vehicles more than 15 years old. Once the life tax has been paid, after the 15th year, you only need to renew the RC (in other words get Fitness done) every 5 years. Of course, now you need to pay Green tax during FC renewal.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:18   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys that's a nice car 35K is'nt bad, I bought my car for that price and look what she looks like today. Most parts you will be able to find easily. Air filter for the time being you can make do with the later model ones which are easily available. In Mumbai one collector managed to even make an exact replica for his car.

In my opinion the 57 Elegant is one of the rarest Fiats around and globally very very rare purely because it was only produced for one year. A restored car in Italy would not sell below 10,000 euros. So don't think too much just pick it up before somebody else does.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks