re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Urgent comments solicited

There are 3 hemet closeouts on competetion accessories:

- Scorpion 750
- Bell Vortex
- Bell RS 1

I have almost made up my mind on the RS1. Could not find a bad word on them. Any user experiences here? The remainder 2 are literally half the price and again come with fantastic reviews / ratings.

Suggestions?
My vote for Bell RS1! Although I have not used it but seems like its an amazing lid!

My choice was
RS1 Linear - Hi Viz (gave up cos its matte finish)
RS-1 Speed Hi-Viz

Meantime I have the Shark already
Old 21st May 2014, 20:41   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Just ordered the RS1. Stoked!!!!

@ Narula123 - Awesome lid sir. Congrats!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:02   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Finally bit the bullet and bought myself a SHOEI X12 in Elias II graphics. The helmet is just wow and only when you use it or see it do you really understand why it costs as much as it did. In build quality, visor clarity, comfort, fit and other gimmicky features this Shoei is genuinely a class apart. No wonder ARAI and SHOEI are considered the best in the business.Got this one from Germany through a friend and also bought a dark tinted visor with it. The total cost of the whole package was about 44,000
Congratulation on that absolutely gorgeous helmet. Though the price as you rightly said is abnoxious but, iam sure there has to be some reason for helmets to be priced so high ( Materials used? clearing toughest test ratings like Snell etc?...and perhaps something else that adds to final output price)

Great graphics too !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I got the Shark S700 Stipple a few weeks ago.
Wind noise is still pronounced - was expecting a drastic reduction post using the crappy HJC CS14
Anyone else who have used a Shark before - please pitch in with your comments.
This is what I dislike. After spending 20 grand and still have to bear with high wind noise is not acceptable. Brings me to a question, why spend so much money on a helmet that cannot safeguard from Windnoise which is primary irritant for long touring. Why not use a cheaper, say 10 grand helmet and use earplugs?

Based on some of my research the wind noise reduces very marginally as you go up the price ladder e.g $200-$1000 and is not proportionate to price paid. Not to mention, more the vents higher the wind noise !!!

My thumb rules for a good helmet :-

1. Snug Fit & Well Built
2. Good Protection rating
3. Light Weight
4. Ability to cut-off wind

Based on above parameters I have honed down on AGV K3 which is decently priced at $219 for graphics version and will be sourcing it from states in July

Quote:
- Scorpion 750
- Bell Vortex
- Bell RS 1
Congrats on the Bell RS 1 !! How much did it cost? Can you paste a link of the actual helmet you bought? Also, are the other two helmets similarly priced?

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd May 2014 at 14:04.
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:04   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

This is what I dislike. After spending 20 grand and still have to bear with high wind noise is not acceptable. Brings me to a question, why spend so much money on a helmet that cannot safeguard from Windnoise which is primary irritant for long touring. Why not use a cheaper, say 10 grand helmet and use earplugs?
Avi,

Wind noise is unavoidable. The only quietest helmets of this world are the Schuberts and the Shoei's to a large extent. Wind noise is prevalent in all the helmets. its the degree that matters.

There is also a difference between tolerance levels. When using HJC, it was terrible. So naturally as a human tendency, when one spends 20k, expects zero noise Which is not to be.

Second - paying 20k has its own dividends. You should see the build quality, the premium finish of everything including the chin lock, the visor fit, the shark fin handle to engage/disengage

But this helmet is worth every penny spent on it.

For that matter, one could buy a 1000 bucks helmet and plug the ears too.
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:22   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wind noise is prevalent in all the helmets. its the degree that matters.

True that! I doubt any helmet can be devoid of wind noise. Its the irritating nosies that these helmets do well to keep out like whistling. My Gmax whistles like a bloody luccha-lafanga

Quote:
Congrats on the Bell RS 1 !! How much did it cost? Can you paste a link of the actual helmet you bought? Also, are the other two helmets similarly priced?
I found a better deal & graphic than comp accessories at ridersdiscount. This is what I ordered :

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=be...3%3B1024%3B768

Cost me $180

Other 2 helmets cost $100
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:09   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Based on above parameters I have honed down on AGV K3 which is decently priced at $219 for graphics version and will be sourcing it from states in July
I have been using a AGV K3 for last 2 years. Its the helmet I use in Bangalore (Shubz has seen it). Its a decent helmet and comfortable as well. I suggest that when you are in USA, please visit a store try it on for size and then order it. I would say try K4 as well, as I am told that it is lighter and feels more comfortable.

Meanwhile I just got myself a new one which arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20140522_184350a.jpg

It has a drop-down dark visor - which I missed very much in the past, specially in my rides in ME and even in Europe

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20140522_184839a.jpg

I liked the rip-off feature on it, in an emergency it can be life saver

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20140522_184947a.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20140522_184958a.jpg

One of my riding mates here has been using this and he swears by it as well.

Bought it from Helmet City, UK. Got a spare visor, pin lock inserts and a set of Ear Plugs as freebee.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:43   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
I feel it's too much to spend on a helmet!
How much did you spend on a back rest and a seat; good sir?

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:17   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avi,

Wind noise is unavoidable. The only quietest helmets of this world are the Schuberts and the Shoei's to a large extent. Wind noise is prevalent in all the helmets. its the degree that matters.

There is also a difference between tolerance levels. When using HJC, it was terrible. So naturally as a human tendency, when one spends 20k, expects zero noise Which is not to be.

Second - paying 20k has its own dividends. You should see the build quality, the premium finish of everything including the chin lock, the visor fit, the shark fin handle to engage/disengage

For that matter, one could buy a 1000 bucks helmet and plug the ears too.
I agree. My 2005 AGV bought locally is quieter than my Arai Corsair V, Suomy Extreme and AGV K4!

One really has to experience using a good lid for a week or so and they'll get convinced on spending extra on a much more comfortable and safer helmet.
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:20   #1314
BHPian

@Urban_Nomad: I get your drift! And agree it's that it's my head that the lid is protecting and there should not be any compromise on it. It's just that one isn't used to spending a fortune (north of 20k is the mental block, below that seems fine to me) on helmets when coming up from riding Bullets.

I would most likely end up picking up the Shoei Qwest although in the interim picked up an LS2 today as the Vemar helmet had developed a crack.
ankitwanchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 07:39   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi,

Shubz, Iam aware that wind noise is unavoidable its just the tolerance levels or degree to which its reduced. But, Iam just trying to understand the reason for helmet companies to charge such a premium for helmets. For example, AGV K3 Vs. Shark vs. Shoei ($160 vs. $350 vs. $750)

Harsha Muvva (AGV K3 owner) says the helmet quality is fantastic which I agree as I have seen it personally. You own the Shark and say 20K spent on a helmet is worth every dime. Narula and Ram spent a bomb on their Shoei and Iam sure they also feel the quality is mind blowing

My point is what's the definition of quality? if these helmets cannot help reducing the primary irritant like wind noise and second most important factor (personally for me) is weight then everything obviously boils down to quality for which we shell down such big bucks

Quote:
True that! I doubt any helmet can be devoid of wind noise. Its the irritating nosies that these helmets do well to keep out like whistling. My Gmax whistles like a bloody luccha-lafanga
I found a better deal & graphic than comp accessories at ridersdiscount. This is what I ordered

Cost me $180. Other 2 helmets cost $100
$180 bucks seem totally VFM.

Did you ordered it from Revzilla and do they ship to India? Also, hope you tried the Bell helmets before ordering?

My experience was L in THH was super tight so sold that helmet and tried wearing a friend's Bell during our Bangalore ride which was XL and i coudnt even ride for 20-30kms as it was too loose and was flapping around a lot.

I now know that Bell run a bit loose, hope you checked these nuances before ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I have been using a AGV K3 for last 2 years. Its the helmet I use in Bangalore (Shubz has seen it). Its a decent helmet and comfortable as well. I suggest that when you are in USA, please visit a store try it on for size and then order it. I would say try K4 as well, as I am told that it is lighter and feels more comfortable.

Meanwhile I just got myself a new one which arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try it. Bought it from Helmet City, UK. Got a spare visor, pin lock inserts and a set of Ear Plugs as freebee.
Ram, Yes I would like to try it out personally before buying gear as burnt my finger once....K3 is something I tried out personally and like the way it fit me so thats one brand and model i can take risk of ordering online

Congratulations on SHOEI and to the world of exclusivity, can you please share cost of same? Also did you order it online? Iam little scared of ordering online from brands that you havent used before because sizing could be an issue.

That rip off feature is awesome. Infact, I never knew such a feature existed till date

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I agree. My 2005 AGV bought locally is quieter than my Arai Corsair V, Suomy Extreme and AGV K4! One really has to experience using a good lid for a week or so and they'll get convinced on spending extra on a much more comfortable and safer helmet.
Exactly my point. Why is it cheaper helmets sometimes have better dynamics than expensive ones. Harsh Muvva owns an AGV K3 and HJC Rossi Replica, former costs 14K and latter around 28K but, he mentioned K3 is better in dynamics.
Old 23rd May 2014, 07:51   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly my point. Why is it cheaper helmets sometimes have better dynamics than expensive ones. Harsh Muvva owns an AGV K3 and HJC Rossi Replica, former costs 14K and latter around 28K but, he mentioned K3 is better in dynamics.
Sound isn't everything while wearing a helmet. The comfort level on the Arai is miles ahead of even the relatively expensive AGV K4.

One has to wear it and experience, talking about it doesn't make justice since its quite hard to put in words how wearing good helmets make you feel.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:19   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Iam just trying to understand the reason for helmet companies to charge such a premium for helmets. For example, AGV K3 Vs. Shark vs. Shoei ($160 vs. $350 vs. $750)

Harsha Muvva (AGV K3 owner) says the helmet quality is fantastic which I agree as I have seen it personally. You own the Shark and say 20K spent on a helmet is worth every dime. Narula and Ram spent a bomb on their Shoei and Iam sure they also feel the quality is mind blowing

That rip off feature is awesome. Infact, I never knew such a feature existed till date
Trust me, no one makes a bad helmet these days. A similar spec helmet from AGV, or Shark or Shoei will have a dime's difference between the brands on usage parameters. Plus almost everyone is atleast DOT Certified.

But then a Shoei X-12, GT-Air and RF1200 will give you additional safety features like the the Emergency Cheek Pad Removal system. Certain Shoei and Arai are also SNELL approved (much stricter norm than DOT) while the top-of-the-line Shark and AGV come with ECE approval.

Noise -reduction depends majorly on the purpose a helmet is built for. A race helmet like a Shoei X12 / Shark Race R / Arai Corsair V will be relatively noisier since the priority is on ventilation at the track to keep the rider cool. More ventilation generally means more noise. A race helmet will also be as light as possible. Personally, I realised that my X12 is lot noisier than my SOL but then again I never ride without ear-plugs so its not really a bother for me. Then again the Shoei is also literally half the weight of the SOL.

A sport-touring helmet like the GT-Air or Qwest will be a much quieter in comparison with a more neutral and comfortable fit. It will also be relatively heavier and at times with additional features like an internal sun-visor. The chin area will be more accomodating here to help fit a Bluetooth communicator.

Honestly, there will be a difference in safety levels between a middle-line helmet like the AGV K3 and a top-line spec AGV Pista. The shell construction and materials will be different and so will be the lining quality and ventilation etc. But then again while a K3 will cost you an approx 15k, the Pista will be upwards of 60k. Is the difference worth it for you? Only you alone can take that call.

Its true that your head is worth every single penny spent on a good helmet. But then you cant go wrong buying a middle-line helmet these days. They look and feel brilliant, are all atleast DOT rated, are multi-purpose and have very good visors and optics. Plus for the price of one top-spec helmet you can probably buy three of these in different colours.

Its a very personal choice. A choice where you balance the heart, head and wallet.
narula123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:35   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Trust me, no one makes a bad helmet these days...
Brilliantly put, Narula. Lists all the points very objectively for a layman. Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:22   #1319
BHPian

My experience with an HJC Cl-17 vis-a-vis an LS2.

The LS2 was my step up from from a Rotomac (helmet, not pen, believe it or not!), Studds Bravo, AM (supposedly Index' sister brand) and GP One.

The fitting was snug, materials felt plusher, the visor quality was the best I experienced and wind noise was present only when turning sideways - otherwise it was reasonably quiet!

But thanks to this forum as well some other forums - I always knew there are way better helmets available which are superior to this LS2.

Had a trip to US lined up thanks to work, and I made sure I got myself an HJC Cl-17 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3330684).

This was a Budget helmet but most importantly did satisfy Snell Standards. But biggest surprise, this thing is noisier than my LS2 and that was , well, surprising. And that wind noise is my only only complaint. Going through some posts here has got me thinking - my HJC+Pinlock is almost perfect for the speeds I do currently (80-115kmph) except the wind noise which most other people seem to experience/endure as well on more expensive helmets. So What would be better in those top draw helmets like Shoei, Arai etc ? Lighter construction? Materials? Visors?

The reason I ask this not to justify or feel smug about my purchase but to learn more about these helmets.

Also yeah, i need to buy 'em ear plugs but dont know which ones to buy - I need some guidance on this. Are there ear plugs specific to motorcycle riding? or just generic ones?
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:57   #1320
Senior - BHPian

If I may please put in one question for the experts to advise. In my college days I used to use Lazer. It used to come branded with the ISI mark and was brought from a reputed seller. The helmet was not too heavy either and has served its purpose to the fullest [even in accidents]. Initially it was white in color, though now it has acquired a hint of pale yellow. But did I take a risk at that time? I remember brands like Stillbird etc were available, but still I went for this one considering the looks and the motorcycle I rode.

At the moment I use a Ninja 2G and have plans to upgrade to a newer one within 7-9 K. Surprisingly these days helmets play an important style statement too and this has made the younger generation more interested. Purpose served

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8583001.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks