Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 16:09   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Have seen white SOL 68sII in SPG website.
If i wear that, there are high probabilities that I may look like a porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just Google for Studds Shifter - ebay, snapdeal, etc. seem to be selling these. I however want to actually try it on for size first (have a long face and on some helmet models the chin bar does not cover my chin and lower jaw properly).
Doc, somehow iam not keen on the lower end range helmets. I already own 3 helmets and they are in the 2K range. They dont feel as sturdy as an LS2 or MT both of which i tried

Iam just waiting for white color so i can add the triumph logo to it and i should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
SOL SF-1 should be available in white colour, and should fit your budget too. However, it was surprisingly heavy compared to my LS2. I assume you have visited Dynamic Ryderz, the only dealer for MT helmets in Hyd. I believe they will be stocking SOL helmets also soon.
Yes, I been there a few times and bought my gloves from them.

SOL SF-1 is something I liked. Simple and Clean. I know buying a helmet by wearing this is right way to do it but, considering my situation, I dont mind just ordering online for the XL size and iam sure it will fit

Just wish they mentioned the weight of the helmet

LS2 : 1330gms
MT : 1550 gms

I wouldnt want any helmet heavier than above

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2014 at 16:25.
Old 6th March 2014, 20:11   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam just waiting for white color so i can add the triumph logo to it and i should be fine.
There is a white helmet with some black graphics called MT Axxis Limited Evo White/Black at Rs. 3938/-. Did you look at that as well? It is predominantly white with very little black highlights.

http://www.spartanprogear.com/Helmet...15&status=none

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th March 2014 at 20:23. Reason: quoted post shortened
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 13:08   #1218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
There is a white helmet with some black graphics called MT Axxis Limited Evo White/Black at Rs. 3938/-. Did you look at that as well? It is predominantly white with very little black highlights.
Thanks this looks good. But, iam little wary of buying a helmet without trying one

Has anyone heard of TIH/THH? There is one in solid white and iam seeing that helmet today evening. I think priced around 4.5K

Is it a good brand/helmet?
Old 7th March 2014, 17:22   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks this looks good. But, iam little wary of buying a helmet without trying one

Has anyone heard of TIH/THH? There is one in solid white and iam seeing that helmet today evening. I think priced around 4.5K

Is it a good brand/helmet?

The MT helmet I posted above is in stock at Dynamic Ryderz. Call up Varun @ 8008499983 and he will keep aside the helmet for you to see.

I am not entirely sure about the authenticity of the THH lids. A friend is using one, and I found it average. The newer Studds D3/Scorpion range felt better IMO. Don't know if there are higher range available in THH.
Old 8th March 2014, 03:24   #1220
BHPian

Among the Helmets can u suggest which brand is made of good quality out of SOL,Spartan,HJC .
I am looking for solid White color and should provide scalability like adding more accessories to it.
Also remember that when i visited a store in Church Street parallel to MG road in bangalore the lady who runs the store told me that HJC has such options plz confirm.
Suggest me in Full face and 3/4 face too.

Presently using a fullface AGV EVO and Studds Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Question back to you - Are you hell bent on choosing a branded HD jacket only or would you like to buy a leading manufacturer's jacket?
NOt too into brands though but looking for something made of good quality and reliabile. Ride in ghats and in the radius of 600kms from Bangalore.
BUt this year planning a road trip to Gujarat to visit my friends.

thanks
MSVG

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to respond to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th March 2014 at 10:18. Reason: Posts merged
Old 13th March 2014, 15:06   #1221

Quote:
SOL SF-1 is something I liked. Simple and Clean. I know buying a helmet by wearing this is right way to do it but, considering my situation, I dont mind just ordering online for the XL size and iam sure it will fit

Just wish they mentioned the weight of the helmet

LS2 : 1330gms
MT : 1550 gms

I wouldnt want any helmet heavier than above
I use the SOL SF1 and it is heavier than the MT/LS2 helmets, definitely weighing in more than 1500gms. Unfortunately, I do not remember the exact measurement. Will get back with the exact weight once I reach home. That said, the ventilation and padding quality is very good. The LED light with the 3 modes is also handy, especially when you're riding in low visibility conditions or at night, whether alone or in a group.
Old 13th March 2014, 21:49   #1222
BHPian

I reckon every helmet owner on here should take a snap of how much his helmet weighs on a kitchen scale.

The carbon helmets are supposed to weigh around 1.2kgs , so its hard to believe that Polycarbonate helmets weigh around 1300-1500gms. My guess is that the manufacturer uses the tactic of indicating the shell weight ( at-least some of the companies) .

Ive got a oldish HJC CL-11 and it weighs around 1.6kgs. Both mine and Avi's are XL but i felt mine to be perfectly balanced when placed on head. The fit was also on the tighter side with Avi's THH, but that probably would be cause my cheek pads are bedded in whilst his is new.
Old 13th March 2014, 22:23   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaushikN View Post
I use the SOL SF1 and it is heavier than the MT/LS2 helmets, definitely weighing in more than 1500gms
My GMAX (aka SOL) GM68 S (size medium) weighs in at 1650 grams exactly (weighed it at the courier waalas). SF1 should not be too far off the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I reckon every helmet owner on here should take a snap of how much his helmet weighs on a kitchen scale.

The carbon helmets are supposed to weigh around 1.2kgs , so its hard to believe that Polycarbonate helmets weigh around 1300-1500gms
At least US websites (Revzilla, Sportbiketrackgear) list helmet weights with the size they use to weigh. Also; have not yet seen a carbon helmet that weighs less than 1300 gms IIRC. 300 - 400 grams weight reduction on your neck is not bad at all. I guess the Snell rated helmets are slightly heavier too (vis a vis DOT certified helmets)

I recently tried a Nuvo helmet (full face) & it was almost featherweight compared to my Gmax. Did not get a chance to weigh it though
Old 14th March 2014, 10:35   #1224
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

People, I am planning to buy a LS2 from any one of the outlets near Urvashi theatre, Bangalore. Currently I use a basic Ryder helmet which was crap when I compared it with one of my office colleague's LS2.

Any suggestions on the outlet, model and price range that I should bargain to?
Thanks for your help
Old 14th March 2014, 11:47   #1225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Ive got a oldish HJC CL-11 and it weighs around 1.6kgs. Both mine and Avi's are XL but i felt mine to be perfectly balanced when placed on head. The fit was also on the tighter side with Avi's THH, but that probably would be cause my cheek pads are bedded in whilst his is new.
Yeah Arun. I liked your helmet. It felt bigger, much more comfortable without ditching the tightness aspect

my THH helmet felt uncomfortably tight during onward Bidar ride but, while return it seemed little more comfortable.

Maybe a few times use will loosen up cheekpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Any suggestions on the outlet, model and price range that I should bargain to?
There are lot of LS2 fakes in market so beware. Price of an LS2 is 3.8K

Also check out MT. I liked them better than LS2
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 12:05   #1226
BHPian

Quote:

There are lot of LS2 fakes in market so beware. Price of an LS2 is 3.8K

Also check out MT. I liked them better than LS2
mobike, thank you. The fakes are exactly what I am worried about. Is there any outlet which you know sell only genuine LS2 or MT? I will look at both before buying.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:54   #1227
BHPian

How are these companies for helmets as I am considering one for my upcoming Bonneville:

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/
http://www.zoxhelmets.com/index.html
http://www.ls2helmets.com/

Also any specific models you recommend and is it actually worth spending 8 - 16k on a helmet? I mean what makes it worth spending so much $$ on them as compared to 4-5k?
Old 28th March 2014, 14:09   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
How are these companies for helmets as I am considering one for my upcoming Bonneville:

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/
http://www.zoxhelmets.com/index.html
http://www.ls2helmets.com/

Also any specific models you recommend and is it actually worth spending 8 - 16k on a helmet? I mean what makes it worth spending so much $$ on them as compared to 4-5k?
As long as the helmets are certified by a competent authority and carry certifications embossed on the shell such as DOT (USA), SNELL, SHARP or ECE, you are good to go. Please verify the brand on the certifying authority's website to be doubly sure you are buying genuine stuff. Anyone can stamp the DOT or SNELL mark but best to check credentials and buy.

The market is flooded with fake LS2's or rather it is tough to say where these LS2's originate from so best avoided for highway runs.

Suggest you to pick up known brands such as AGV, Shoei, Arai, Nolan, Shark, etc. These are extensively tested, certified and in addition to safety, the fit and finish is top notch.

Please remember, the cost of a good helmet, even if it is 15k is a lot lesser than a trip to the hospital.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th March 2014 at 14:11.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 18:54   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
I mean what makes it worth spending so much $$ on them as compared to 4-5k?
Simple funda whilst buying a helmet - Buy the best you can afford. You do not have a spare head; so when the time comes for the lid to come into action; you will be glad you spent that money

Even without crashing; a good helmet makes a ride so much more comfortable. I cannot even think of kick starting my bike now without my helmet. It filters out the traffic noise; does not let your face become a bug collector etc etc etc.

A good helmet will be (relatively) lightweight; equals less fatigue, will have plush high quality interiors; so a lot more comfy, visors are optically correct and provide protection from UV rays and not to mention the safety aspect of it all. The helmet companies N_Aditya has mentioned in his post are some of the best in the world. So take your pick.

Just FYI; I bought me a (relatively) cheap helmet from the states & am quite pleased with it - A GMax GM 68S. It cost me $50 on closeout when the exchange rate was around Rs. 55. Cost - Rs. 2750

Cons - Slightly heavy, fogs up easy, & now that I am around 12 kgs lighter; the cheek pads dont "push" my face in and the fit is not very snug now. It was fine till such time I was riding my ancient RE Thunderbird; but with the KTM 390 coming in it feels inadequate. At high speeds; it literally bobs side to side. Head checks make you feel like your neck is gonna snap and because of the bobbing; the vision gets a bit blurry.

Not the helmet's fault. My recommendation - please please try a helmet before you buy one if possible. And besides the brands N_Aditya has mentioned; you can check out Airoh (7 - 8K) or Nuvo (4 - 5 k). Fit n finish is excellent and both the helmets fit me quite well

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2014, 22:29   #1230
BHPian

Affordable Options

Came across this article on rideapart. This seems like a decent and yet affordable helmet. Has anyone used it?

http://rideapart.com/2013/07/news-icon-alliance-dark/

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/for-160...9ll-ever-need/

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...ubatone-helmet

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks