Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 02:19   #601
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
mantrig - I would seriously recommend gloves which have proper knuckle protectors which the gloves you bought don't seem to have. And buy leather ones too specially around the palm area. In case of a crash (God forbid) whichever of the two (palm/knuckles) land first, will get proper protection and minimize damages if you go for the one I just mentioned.
Hey JVH,

Thank you so much for your advice, these gloves I have bought are for my regular office commuting which is normally in city traffic and hence these gloves.

For long trips, I use the Fieldsheer fury gloves which provide great knuckle protection.

Also, I am looking for a new lid around 1.5-2.0K in India for now and was considering index, Studds (Rhyno) or Vega. I am scheduled to travel again in a couple of months and planning to pick up a Sparx from US.

Let me know your thoughts on what would be my best option.
Old 4th July 2011, 04:15   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
didn't I say it would be fun . I could wear the armor inside but then it's another layer to be worn. This way I can just wear the leather jacket and go.

Attachment 545035
because of the heat I wore the armor alone last week and I have to say, the mesh creates a very nice cooling effect ( a little bit of thermodynamics involved here when riding at high speed). You guys should try if it helps in Indian summers.

I would say even if you don't wear an armor, just get a mesh jacket for cooling.
Old 4th July 2011, 05:24   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there anything called anti-glare sunglasses for bikers? Something to wear when riding at night and avoiding the glare of headlights on high beam from oncoming cars.
I see your question and I raise you this VFM alternative:
Decathlon: Sports & Sporting Goods, Equipment & Supplies Online - India
or for about 20-25% more - Optics - Merida Bikes International - check which model these days in store.

Otherwise any light brown/yellow tinged glasses are what you need. See the stuff on ebay for the color reference.

A good helmet visor prevents alot of the glare btw.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:37   #604
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Also, I am looking for a new lid around 1.5-2.0K in India for now and was considering index, Studds (Rhyno) or Vega. I am scheduled to travel again in a couple of months and planning to pick up a Sparx from US.

Honestly, am not aware of a helmet in that budget but have heard good reviews about LS2 which is slightly above your budget - around 2.5K. I've seen this helmet up close and I can say its good.

Sparx is indeed a very good helmet and you get at a very good price in the US. n_aditya has one and swears by it. Its available in India too but priced stupidly at 8.5K where as in US as you might be aware, you can get it for under 4K. You may also want to have a look at Scorpion and HJC helmets in the same price range as Sparx. I have both and vouch for them.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 08:15   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Hey JVH,

Thank you so much for your advice, these gloves I have bought are for my regular office commuting which is normally in city traffic and hence these gloves.

For long trips, I use the Fieldsheer fury gloves which provide great knuckle protection.

If you want to buy it in Mumbai, you could get a Cross or an AGV in that budget, or you could even fit in a LS2 if you increase your budget till 2.5k. But if you are going to the States anyways, you could get a better helmet for the same price.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:23   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, am not aware of a helmet in that budget but have heard good reviews about LS2 which is slightly above your budget - around 2.5K. I've seen this helmet up close and I can say its good.

Sparx is indeed a very good helmet and you get at a very good price in the US. n_aditya has one and swears by it. Its available in India too but priced stupidly at 8.5K where as in US as you might be aware, you can get it for under 4K. You may also want to have a look at Scorpion and HJC helmets in the same price range as Sparx. I have both and vouch for them.
Thanks JVH,

The helmet I am planning to buy now is more of a stop gap arrangement, but I want to buy a decent one. A sparx is costing me roughly around 4.5K (100$) with a lifetime crash replacement free of cost.

HJC are a bit on the higher side for good lids while Scorpions are in a decent range around 3.5-4K. I could have bought one but its too much to ask for, from a friend who already carrying the rest of the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If you want to buy it in Mumbai, you could get a Cross or an AGV in that budget, or you could even fit in a LS2 if you increase your budget till 2.5k. But if you are going to the States anyways, you could get a better helmet for the same price.
That's good news.
Where should I look for in Mumbai Prateek for the Cross/AGV which will cost me around 2K. I might end up stretching my budget a bit but not a lot.

As going to states only after Aug'11 now and that's tentative. One thing is sure, the new years eve I will be spending it there and don't want to wait until then.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:30   #607
BHPian

Quote:
That's good news.
Where should I look for in Mumbai Prateek for the Cross/AGV which will cost me around 2K. I might end up stretching my budget a bit but not a lot.

As going to states only after Aug'11 now and that's tentative. One thing is sure, the new years eve I will be spending it there and don't want to wait until then.
Depends on your location. If you stay in South, try Bacchoo Motors. I purchased it from New Link Road, Andheri. Here's more info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2319307
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 11:37   #608
Team-BHP Support

In a way its very good that you are going to the states and then buying the helmet.

You will be able to check the fit, comfort etc.
When I bought my helmet, I wore it for almost 20-30 mins at the store before selecting it. Felt a little foolish, but the guys at the shop were very nice and knew why I was doing it.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:55   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sparx is indeed a very good helmet and you get at a very good price in the US. n_aditya has one and swears by it.
SparX makes some good helmets but they are slightly heavy in comparison to the AGV's. The AGV's are so bloody light and i love the quality and attention to detail that goes into these lids. My next one is gonna be an AGV.

You should be able to get a nice AGV for US $ 200 or even lower. Try them on at the store and then order online via closeout's.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 14:44   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
SparX makes some good helmets but they are slightly heavy in comparison to the AGV's. The AGV's are so bloody light and i love the quality and attention to detail that goes into these lids. My next one is gonna be an AGV.

You should be able to get a nice AGV for US $ 200 or even lower. Try them on at the store and then order online via closeout's.
Hey Aditya,

That's a useful piece of information, I will look at the AGVs as well.

Also, how good are the MPA AGVs that are sold in the Indian market. Has anyone you know of used them? If yes, how do you think they fair as compared to the AGVs? Are they made of a quality too inferior?

I have been reading through the thread on helmets and have not got a great feeling after what I have read about the MPA AGVs, but just wanted to understand what you guys think about them.

Last edited by mantrig : 5th July 2011 at 14:47.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:52   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, how good are the MPA AGVs that are sold in the Indian market. Has anyone you know of used them? If yes, how do you think they fair as compared to the AGVs? Are they made of a quality too inferior?

I have been reading through the thread on helmets and have not got a great feeling after what I have read about the MPA AGVs.
I checked out the MPA AGV's when my ninja was due and found them to be very heavy. AFAIK, the genuine ones are no longer available in the market as production of the MPA AGV's stopped around a year back.

In addition to the original AGV's sold abroad, you might want to check out HJC, Scorpion EXO, Nolan too. Some models of HJC and Scorpion are available for as low as USD 65 on motorcycle super store (closeout deals).

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th July 2011 at 14:54.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:09   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I had a brand new green one stolen from my Omni taxi (damn those sliding windows!!) in Bangalore years ago
I'm pretty sure what you are talking about was the Eddie Bauer Sac Jac. Now replaced by the Rip Pac jacket. Folds into a pocket. Available here: RipPacĀ® Jacket | Eddie Bauer

Cheers.
Looks good. Where can I get this from Chennai?
Old 5th July 2011, 19:41   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I checked out the MPA AGV's when my ninja was due and found them to be very heavy. AFAIK, the genuine ones are no longer available in the market as production of the MPA AGV's stopped around a year back.

In addition to the original AGV's sold abroad, you might want to check out HJC, Scorpion EXO, Nolan too. Some models of HJC and Scorpion are available for as low as USD 65 on motorcycle super store (closeout deals).
Thanks Aditya,

Yes, I have been closely tracking the Motorcycle Super Store Closeouts for some good deals on Helmets. Scorpions are really cheap (price-wise) and even the HJCs are not that bad either as compared to the exorbitant prices in India.

I am just waiting for my plans to get finalized, as would prefer trying the stuff out as against buying it online.

Also, after reading your comments MPA AGV is off my life for good.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:38   #614
BHPian

Hi guys,

Looking for a new riding jacket.Has anybody ordered riding gears from ridersdiscount? They say,there's a flat $25 shipping rates to all of the countries.How many days will it take if I order a jacket from them? Can anyone please shed some more light on the shipping rates.Are there any additional/hidden charges like tax,duties et al.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:59   #615
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scorpions are really cheap (price-wise) and even the HJCs are not that bad either as compared to the exorbitant prices in India.
Scorpion EXO-400s are cheap but ain't really worth it IMO. Very basic. Don't get me wrong, they are very good helmets but if you shell out a little more, you get their better products. Try for EXO-700 and above. They are priced similar to HJC but better IMO. Helmet is one thing which I would not compromise on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Hi guys,

Looking for a new riding jacket.Has anybody ordered riding gears from ridersdiscount? They say,there's a flat $25 shipping rates to all of the countries.How many days will it take if I order a jacket from them? Can anyone please shed some more light on the shipping rates.Are there any additional/hidden charges like tax,duties et al.
I had ordered one about 6 months ago. $25 flat is true. No additional charges. But some told me there might be additional charges if it crosses a limit and I don't know that limit. Pls call or email them. I received mine in exactly 2 weeks.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed