Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 23:52   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
If you can leave all the dissin about brands and come up with something worthwhile I would be thankful.
What's your budget and size YaeJay?

Usually for jacket, you can buy the size that you wear your shirt, so 40-42 = Large and so on. If the jacket comes with a inner thermal liner, then you may need to order one size less, as the size is generally after inserting the liner into the jacket.

If you find quality of Indian made jackets to be low (I too share the opinion, just not as strongly!) you can consider ordering from US either via friend or via ebay by using services of PPObox or I2Cworld. You can get some great closeout deals using ebay.

Regarding helmets, stick with Vega if you are looking for budget options. Measure your temple size first, numerous help available on google. Then, you will know whether you need large or extra large helmet. You can get that helmet either in a shop or order online by snapdeal (an example only).

Last edited by ani_meher : 25th June 2014 at 23:56.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 00:15   #1667
BHPian

budget.. like 6.5 to 8. I mean like I can push a bit, would be happy if i get it for less.

Shirt sizes.. they are so confusing! A 44 in one brand is like 40 on another. same with the xl xxl etc. I am like 46. I wouldnt say anything about quality.. have nothing to compare, But size,

i am good with helmets. Have 4. latest is a SOL. pretty decent considering my slow speeds

I dont have a large head

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by YaeJay : 26th June 2014 at 00:19.
Old 26th June 2014, 00:29   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter-<3-Cars View Post
Hmm, how good is the protection on the mesh compared to the Cordura? Is there any jacket available that has good ventilation AND protection? Mesh seems like the bare minimum protection available.
No doubt, Cordura wins hands down. But saying that, the Mesh jacket is not Mesh through out. At the shoulders, elbow and the lower part of the body in the front is a material similar to Cordura. Only the chest area, front side of the arms and the back are Mesh. This aids in ventilation in the required parts. But final choice is up to you. Cordura is not bad at all if you are able to live with the getting cooked in the jacket part. And before the Indian brands started manufacturing Mesh jackets, the only available ones were Cordura and leather so there are many a people with Cordura jackets and chugging along.

Quote:
What kind of temperatures are you talking about? I think I will get the Ares then!
Cant quote numbers bro but it is like a seat of the pants feel!

Quote:
If I zip them together and wear the rain liners underneath, what kind of rain protection can I expect?
Not sure of the zip them together part. But earlier on, in the same thread i have mentioned about the liners holding up pretty well in the rain and keeping me almost dry in all the places that matters the most.

Quote:
That's good to know! What about chest armour?
Dont think the Mesh jacket has a provision for chest armor. The cordura one probably already comes with a chest armor. Please check up on this.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 26th June 2014 at 00:31.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 00:50   #1669

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
No doubt, Cordura wins hands down. But saying that, the Mesh jacket is not Mesh through out. At the shoulders, elbow and the lower part of the body in the front is a material similar to Cordura. Only the chest area, front side of the arms and the back are Mesh. This aids in ventilation in the required parts. But final choice is up to you. Cordura is not bad at all if you are able to live with the getting cooked in the jacket part. And before the Indian brands started manufacturing Mesh jackets, the only available ones were Cordura and leather so there are many a people with Cordura jackets and chugging along.
Haha, I rather not have wet clothes at the end of each ride! However, I have looked at a SPG Hyperion review on this page and it seems to be a mix of cordura, mesh, and leather; so I think I will go for this one instead of the Helios!

Quote:
Cant quote numbers bro but it is like a seat of the pants feel!
Didn't understand you here!

Quote:
Not sure of the zip them together part. But earlier on, in the same thread i have mentioned about the liners holding up pretty well in the rain and keeping me almost dry in all the places that matters the most.
I need my Hyperion and Proteus to zip together. The rain liners don't need to zip up, that's fine. You said the jacket and pants zipped up in the previous post but now you said you're not sure. Not sure about what? I'm a little confused.

Quote:
Dont think the Mesh jacket has a provision for chest armor. The cordura one probably already comes with a chest armor. Please check up on this.
I will buy the back armour and check about the chest armour!

Looks like I have my jacket and pants (Hyperion/Proteus) narrowed down, need to decide on gloves still...I am still deciding whether it would make sense to invest in boots at the moment or not. The problem with boots would be that I would have to carry an extra pair of shoes for after getting off the bike.

One request, could you please reply to my inquiry on the helmets thread? Any insights would be helpful.

Thank you very much for all the help,
Safe riding,
Jupiter.
Old 26th June 2014, 00:50   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have the same issue with my Dri Rider riding pants. Which is that in spite of ventilation zippered vents open, by the time I pull them off after the ride, my undies are soaking wet. Ditto for my socks inside my WP riding boots as well, but that's another story.

What are these dri-fit apparel to be worn under riding gear? Do you have pants to be worn under riding pants as well as tops to be worn under riding jackets? Are these those body hugging tight pressure suits (like cycling shorts spandex/lycra)?
Quote:
Thanks, but what are they called? What name do I Google for? Or look online to shop for? Or tell my friend in Australia to get back when he comes here next.
They are also called compression suits. I wear Nike Pro Combat Core Compression Pants and Under Armour T shirt as inner for my leather suits.
You can easily get some cheaper ones off ebay search using "compression wear"

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 26th June 2014 at 00:54.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 10:56   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but what are they called? What name do I Google for? Or look online to shop for? Or tell my friend in Australia to get back when he comes here next.
I dont know the exact name but base layer clothing for bike riding gear is what i have heard. If you visit the DSG (suzuki) showroom in Pune they do have them by Alpinstars. Here is a link from the Alpinestars website.

http://www.alpinestars.com/road/racing/tech-layers
Old 27th June 2014, 13:17   #1672
BHPian

DSG Pune is selling for double the price compared to the available price in the US. If you have someone bringing it for you from abroad, make the most of it.
Old 27th June 2014, 22:59   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't understand you here!
Sorry, I meant i do not know the actual temperature and it was just the sensation you get when out in the sun that its a warm day. Bangalore is quite warm these days.

Quote:
You said the jacket and pants zipped up in the previous post but now you said you're not sure. Not sure about what? I'm a little confused.
Sorry to have confused you. I meant the liners cannot be zipped together. You can definitely zip up the jacket to the pant at the waist area.

Quote:
I am still deciding whether it would make sense to invest in boots at the moment or not.
I too was thinking the same. But the Tourmaster boots seem to be really good. The pair I bought is called Air Solution 2.0 i think IIRC. Its very comfortable to wear. I did a 300 kms ride, walked around in various places for 3 hours straight without ever getting on the bike, then rode back 300 kms. All in one day. I never felt the need to take off the shoes or relax my feet. Has amazing ventilation in addition to being waterproof. Now i dont need to worry about rain/slush/heat when i tour as this one boot takes care of everything. The plus point is that its very easy to clean as well. Takes only 1 wet tissue to clean one boot and make it sparkling clean.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th June 2014 at 23:00.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 23:46   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Ordered this with an RC back protector for the wife:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/6489

Will be able to get my hands on it around mid July.

Also; got these on my recent trip to US:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...-mojave-gloves

Excellent! quality goat leather gloves. I could not find any women specific gloves locally. Even the smallest size glove (male) did not fit her. A size small in these fits her like ....... a glove

Only gripe - knuckle protection is not too great. Besides that; a great great glove

Only thing that remains - Riding boots for her.

Suggestions? I recommended either TCX women's x square or Tourmaster Solution Air WP boots. She rejected them both as they were too expensive. She likes my Army DMS boots. Will head out to Gopinath bazaar this weekend and see if they make these in women's sizes (btw, does anyone know if they do?).

In the meantime, please let me know if anyone comes across a good closeout on women's boots

Her riding gear is nearing completion. I am happy that she has come a long way from "why do I need a helmet? You wont be challaned" to "I need a better helmet than the one I have. Something like yours"

Her helmet (bought locally, Chopra - Karol Bagh) - http://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Mo.../dp/B00AO6G8RY

This was the ONLY helmet that fit her well (Size XS). Everything else was too loose. This seems much better built than the chinese LS 2's he showed us (Rs 2700 IIRC). Its made of fiberglass and comes with a pump system to adjust fit around the face. The liner is superb and very comfy. Comes with an ECE tag stitched on the chin straps. Cost - RS 4500

Gripes - The helmet gasket is coming loose from one side and the "switch" mechanism on the shield for lock or venting position is missing. Will see Chopra about this and report back. Any suggestions for a quick fix on the gasket though? Is gluing the gasket advisable (literally a "quick fix").

Will see how much / how often we are able to tour together and also if she takes up motorcycling on her own (am pushing her in that direction too). Then maybe look at another helmet for her.

PS - she is getting quite tired of all the gear I have accumulated:

3 + 1 (her) pairs gloves
2 pairs Knee guards
2 pairs elbow guards
2 + 1 (her) helmets
3 face shields
2 pairs of boots
Riding pants with CE rated knee and hip armour
Riding jacket with CE rated back protector
Her jacket is on the way

I am scared to add up the cost

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 27th June 2014 at 23:48.
Old 28th June 2014, 17:42   #1675

I have another question I just thought of: When folded, about how large a backpack or saddlebag would I need to fit in the jacket, pants, liners, and gloves? (SPG Hyperion, Ares, and Proteus). I am also curious if I would be able to fit it into the boot of a scooter such as an Activa or Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Sorry, I meant i do not know the actual temperature and it was just the sensation you get when out in the sun that its a warm day. Bangalore is quite warm these days.
Oh okay, then they will be fine I guess!

Quote:
Sorry to have confused you. I meant the liners cannot be zipped together. You can definitely zip up the jacket to the pant at the waist area.
That's great. It sounds like it should be able to keep me dry in heavy rain for most distances.

Quote:
I too was thinking the same. But the Tourmaster boots seem to be really good. The pair I bought is called Air Solution 2.0 i think IIRC. Its very comfortable to wear. I did a 300 kms ride, walked around in various places for 3 hours straight without ever getting on the bike, then rode back 300 kms. All in one day. I never felt the need to take off the shoes or relax my feet. Has amazing ventilation in addition to being waterproof. Now i dont need to worry about rain/slush/heat when i tour as this one boot takes care of everything. The plus point is that its very easy to clean as well. Takes only 1 wet tissue to clean one boot and make it sparkling clean.
I have been browsing RevZilla every couple of weeks and I am yet to find a deal for jackets+pants+gloves+boots+shipping that is cheaper or on par with what I would pay for the Spartan gear. Any recommendations? Are the SPG boots any good?

You've been a huge help with my decision, thanks!

Jupiter
Old 29th June 2014, 12:45   #1676
BHPian

With our departure dates , we have collected a lot of stuff. Will update all the things we picked once shopping completes.
I have one more question. There is no dealer with Spartan jackets in stock in Delhi. I wanted to pick the Icarus which retails for 4800+350 shipping. But without trying it on and having the feel of it, I am not very sure.
My other option is to pick a Cramster K2K @ ~6000. I have tried it on and the quality was good IMO. But I dont have anything to compare it with.
So I am going to pick what you geniuses at Team BHP advise me to.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:48   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
2 pairs Knee guards
2 pairs elbow guards
Can you please share the which, where , how much of the knee and elbow guards ?
Been wondering what to buy in the sea options available on the web.
Old 30th June 2014, 14:33   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
With our departure dates , we have collected a lot of stuff. Will update all the things we picked once shopping completes.
I am 5feet10 and weigh 90 kilos. I wear Spartan Helios in Large size. Fits snugly . So Icarus must be similar in sizing.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st July 2014 at 07:33. Reason: You neednt quote entire big para for a one line reply. Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 02:05   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Can you please share the which, where , how much of the knee and elbow guards
Sure. These are what I have:

Knee Guards:

Dianese - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-knee-v-guard

Just brilliant! Excellent construction and quality. Crash tested too. Held up beautifully. IMO the best you can buy. Watch out though if you have tree trunks for legs. The straps will not go around; especially the one at the bottom

Thor - http://www.revzilla.com/product/thor-sector-knee-guard

Cheap CE rated knee guards. Only gripe - you need to wear them under your pants for these to be effective. The top portion does not have a flap to secure against your thigh. And you definitely need to wear something underneath these unless you like chafing. I wear these with a pair of knee sleeves. Wore these on a recent 800km round - trip journey. Was comfy enough

Elbow guards:

Thor - http://www.revzilla.com/product/thor-static-elbow-guard

Piece of crap worthless pile of junk. Got these for the wife as she refused to get herself a riding jacket. This was the bare minimum she had to wear if she wanted to get on the bike with me.... along with the knee guards of course. The stitching on the armour came undone post just a couple of 15 minute rides. The size S - M is too small for me, too big for the wife. I can assume the size L would be just too loose. They should have made a S, M and an L instead of clubbing the former two. Overall quality could be better too

Shift - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...r-elbow-guards

Cheap elbow guards that are infinitely adjustable. Would not recommend for long distances. Wife was wearing these on the aforementioned trip. Felt uncomfortable. Ok for short trips around town

Hope this helps
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 07:36   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have another question I just thought of: When folded, about how large a backpack or saddlebag would I need to fit in the jacket, pants, liners, and gloves? (SPG Hyperion, Ares, and Proteus). I am also curious if I would be able to fit it into the boot of a scooter such as an Activa or Access.
Pants alone will occupy a normal size back pack fully with all the armor in place. I doubt you can fit the jacket in a backpack unless you remove the armor. If you are removing the armor from both the pants and jacket, you might be able to fit one on each side of a cramster colt saddle bag and have space for spare clothing. I highly doubt you can fit it into the boot of access/activa and have any usable space left. If anything it would be a very tight fit.

Quote:
Any recommendations? Are the SPG boots any good?
No idea about the SPG boots as there was not any even on display at the Bangalore store where i bought the gear. There was Tourmaster available on display and also with a discount of 3k on them. So went for it and am very happy with them so far with around 1200 kms of use.

Quote:
You've been a huge help with my decision, thanks!
Happy to help bro!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks