Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 21:45   #4096

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I bought a Signals Marsh Grey Classic (Reborn) 350 last year for touring. I was resuming motorcycling after close to 10 years (used to ride a second hand 1st generation Pulsar 180). I am vertically challenged so the bike actually intimidated me at first. So this time I did invest in some riding gear. Jotting down my opinions below (I am a newbie as would be shortly evident):

Axor Rage Warfare Carbon Fibre Helmet
  • Pros: Snug fit, D ring protectors, decent wind noise protection
  • Cons: Not sure if it really is carbon fibre given the price (Rs 8700)
I had bought a Royal Enfield Escapade helmet along with my bike However the the beak caused a lot of wind noise and I did not want to add a windscreen to the bike. Learnt my lesson and went for another helmet with lesser “protrusions”

Royal Enfield Streetwind V2 Jacket (Brown)
  • Pros: RE’s online Make It Yours program which allowed me to add L2 Knox protectors for elbow, shoulder and back. Pricing (Rs 7213)
  • Cons: Heavy and feels less airy than it appears
Bought this within a week of my motorcycle purchase and I admit it wasn’t the best researched decision. But it offers decent bang for your buck and seems like it will last (have done multi-day tours to Goa and Pondicherry in 30+ degree weather).

Rev It Eclipse Mesh Jacket (Dark Blue)
  • Pros: Lightweight, airy, nice color
  • Cons: Comes with L1 elbow & shoulder armor, back protector missing, pricier (Rs 13500 @ Orion Motors) inspite of the missing protection
Knox L2 back protector from the RE jacket fits in perfectly. However, the jackets for the elbow and shoulder protectors seem insufficient in size to accommodate the Knox armor

Was an impulse purchase because it was light and felt more suitable for shorter rides. Plus I love the color

Solace CoolPro V3 riding pants (Black)
  • Pros: Comes with L2 hip and knee & shin protector. Feature rich (air vents, calf/waist straps, cargo pockets …)
  • Cons: Heavy. Pricey (Rs. 8750) for relatively lesser known brand
The only riding pants which fit me well (height: 5’4”, waist: 33") and where the knee protector could be adjusted to stay in place. I had almost given up and had sort of reconciled to using the regular denims with the Royal Enfield Knox Knee Guards

Royal Enfield Stelvio TCX mid rise boots (Brown)
  • Pros: TCX branding, seem robust, price (Rs 15300)
  • Cons: Stiff but I guess they are yet to break in
I tried all sorts of boots from A-star to Forma at the Orion store and they all seemed really difficult to walk in so returned empty handed. Some online research showed me that this is sort of expected until you break in the boot. Eventually went with RE after watching Abhinav Bhatt’s high praise on Youtube

Went with mid rise instead of full length boots because the shin protector on the riding pants made it a bit uncomfortable. Right now they seem like a match made in heaven

Royal Enfield Stalwart gloves (Brown & Black)
  • Pros: Vented, real leather
  • Cons: No palm sliders
Another purchase made with limited research. However as with the other RE stuff, they seems like they will last. Will relegate them for shorter rides and go for full gauntlet gloves eventually

Raida Base layers (top and bottom)
  • Pros: Compression wear makes you look fit, decent body temperature regulation, makes slipping into riding jacket and pants easier
  • Cons: Need to wear underwear for “support”. Also a pee break takes some effort

Solace Balaclava
  • Pros: Keeps the helmet sanitary, also keeps the ear pods in place while sliding the helmet
  • Cons: Single size, seems too big for my head

Claro polarized Sunglasses (Brown)
  • Pros: Cheaper than Polaroids (Rs 1600)
  • Cons: Sepia tinted, makes me feel that the outside temperature is higher than it is

Royal Enfield Knox External Knee Protectors
  • Pros: Can pair them with regular denim. Easy to walk around in even though they aren’t bionic
  • Cons: Need to tighten the Velcro straps after a few hours of riding. The shins get sweaty in hot weather due to lack of air circulation
As would be evident from the recurring theme in this post, I was unaware of concepts like abrasion resistance and hip protection and thought that pairing this with denims was the best protection I needed

The Riding Gear thread-anurags-riding-gear.jpg
anurag344 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 15:06   #4097
Senior - BHPian

Incredible! The Jayanagar store doesnt/didnt have gloves, and many other stuff you listed here. Where did you try on the gloves for fit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag344 View Post
Royal Enfield Stalwart gloves (Brown & Black)Another purchase made with limited research. However as with the other RE stuff, they seems like they will last
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 16:23   #4098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Incredible! The Jayanagar store doesnt/didnt have gloves, and many other stuff you listed here. Where did you try on the gloves for fit?
I tried and bought the gloves at the Jayanagar outlet last December. The jacket and the knee guards were ordered online (again, December last year) on the RE website and were delivered in around a week's time if I remember correctly.

The boots were purchased last month, at the same store. At that time both colors (black/brown) and lengths (mid/full) were available for trial.
anurag344 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 18:44   #4099
TRR
BHPian

So I am currently in the process of upgrading my riding gear and the next thing in line for purchase is a good set of full length riding boots. For context, I currently use a pair of regular RE boots, for my intra-city jaunts and short rides outside the highway. I previously was using a pair of Alpinestars Faster shoes (non-vented, non-WP), but the sole started separating from the rest of the boot and it is now too unsafe to use on any of my motorcycling activities.

I have decided that a full length boots would be appropriate, given that the RE boots will remain for the inside city rides (where my riding will be < 60 kmph) and I could purchase a dedicated set of boots for my highway riding. The boots will strictly be used for sport riding on my GSX-S750 and will see >95% of its usage only on the highways. As such, I was looking to purchase a set of the Dainese Nexus 2 boots. The Dainese store in Bengaluru had a set of the regular Nexus 2s in stock, but they did not have the Dainese Nexus 2 Air with the perforation for better airflow. I was told that the Nexus 2 Airs should drop by in the coming months. I did get to check out the size and fitment at the store and am happy with the shoes in all other areas, but for the airflow.

Those of you who use full length riding boots on your motorcycles, would the lack of the perforation be a major drawback in our Indian conditions or would the fact that my usage of these boots being restricted to the highways make this a non-issue? I am looking to keeping this set of boots for at least 4-5 years and want to make sure I don't regret purchasing the regular Nexus 2s over the Nexus 2 Airs. Would you recommend I wait for the Nexus 2 Airs?
TRR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 22:11   #4100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
Those of you who use full length riding boots on your motorcycles, would the lack of the perforation be a major drawback in our Indian conditions or would the fact that my usage of these boots being restricted to the highways make this a non-issue?
As with everything related to motorcycles, this seems to be a personal choice. Most people I know don't seem to be bothered by non-vented boots, but once I switched about 6 years ago I have advised everyone to do the same. The difference in comfort for me is night and day, once you start moving the sweat evaporating and cooling your feet is a lovely feeling. Even if you get some unexpected rain, feet dry out much quicker in vented boots. I would absolutely recommend getting the vented version, highway or no highway.
RiderZone is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 16:24   #4101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those of you who use full length riding boots on your motorcycles, would the lack of the perforation be a major drawback in our Indian conditions or would the fact that my usage of these boots being restricted to the highways make this a non-issue? I am looking to keeping this set of boots for at least 4-5 years and want to make sure I don't regret purchasing the regular Nexus 2s over the Nexus 2 Airs. Would you recommend I wait for the Nexus 2 Airs?
TRR, I have the Alpinestars SMX 6 V2 Drystar Boots which I believe are waterproof, not experienced rain with it yet though.

In peak Mumbai summer I was never uncomfortable or felt hot as such while riding. Socks would be sweaty at the end of the ride for sure. I should have checked this during purchase but since they were extremely comfortable did not bother.

If you feel you need to use the boots during the rainy season or if it’s one pair of boots which would be used to do it all, I don’t think it would be an issue to buy them.

Having said the above, I have never used vented boots so cannot comment on how comfortable they would be in comparison.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 16:32   #4102
Senior - BHPian

You will not need Nexus 2 Air for our cool climate here in Bengaluru. I would advise you to buy what is available as deadlines are always stretched and it could be a long wait. Most of everything good is sold out
Quote:
As such, I was looking to purchase a set of the Dainese Nexus 2 boots. The Dainese store in Bengaluru had a set of the regular Nexus 2s in stock, but they did not have the Dainese Nexus 2 Air with the perforation for better airflow.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 14:54   #4103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have decided that a full length boots would be appropriate, given that the RE boots will remain for the inside city rides (where my riding will be < 60 kmph) and I could purchase a dedicated set of boots for my highway riding. The boots will strictly be used for sport riding on my GSX-S750 and will see >95% of its usage only on the highways. As such, I was looking to purchase a set of the Dainese Nexus 2 boots. The Dainese store in Bengaluru had a set of the regular Nexus 2s in stock, but they did not have the Dainese Nexus 2 Air with the perforation for better airflow. I was told that the Nexus 2 Airs should drop by in the coming months. I did get to check out the size and fitment at the store and am happy with the shoes in all other areas, but for the airflow.

TRR, there are 2 things in play here.

- Word on the street is that the Dainese store in Bangalore is no longer the official importer for the brand. From what little birdies have told me, right now there may not be an importer for Dainese in India. So I wouldnt hold my breath on new stocks arriving any time soon.

- Coming to perforated boots versus non-perforated boots (water resistant / repellent) boots, it is all down to personal preference. I used perforated Sidi race boots for several years and then moved to waterproof Falco full length boots. If you are touring in good weather, you will appreciate perforated boots. When it rains, your socks and feet will get wet (unless you ride with waterproof socks or carry boot covers to keep them dry). On the other hand, if you wear waterproof / repellent boots, the airflow will be limited but your feet will stay dry, come thunderstorms or high waters. You dont need to stop each time it rains, to slide on boot covers, to keep your feet dry. Put in another way, you should look at a potential purchase of these Nexus 2 boots, based on all season touring usage versus only good weather touring usage.

Personally, I find waterproof / repellent boots to be more versatile. Hence, I would recommend them over perforated ones.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 15:02   #4104
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with Neil, and my suggestion is to splurge on Goretex as they are at least rated to be reasonably wind friendly whilst still being waterproof.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:42   #4105
BHPian

Hi everyone!

This has been a tad overdue but I've finally got to it. I've been looking to buy Orazo's riding boots ever since I heard about them on BuluBiker's YouTube channel. As with everything else I had been putting it away for quite a while but a sale came up but this was when I was nursing my back injury and I decided to procrastinate further. I even made enquiries as to the differences in the range they were offering at the time but it was only differences in colour and I was also told that their boots were only water resistant.

Recently, Orazo launched their line of waterproof riding boots and with an introductory discount of 15%. I decided to but one pair of the "Cocoa Ibis" boots. Now I have to mention I don't really have a reason why I bought the long boots, but that's what I did.

I placed the order on the last day of the sale and the boots arrived about 6 days later via Speed Post.

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173109.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173120.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173256.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173728.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173739.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220530_173758.jpg

I tried them on immediately(Orazo have a policy that any defects or issues must be reported on the day of delivery), and they felt good around my feet but I have never worn boots so long before and so it was quite weird around my calves. Walking with it, initially, I felt like one of those astronauts walking on the moon.

My back was giving me a bit of trouble again since I hadn't taken my physio seriously enough and so I had to forgo riding with my new pair for about another week.

As soon as I got on the bike, I could feel the boots slip on the foot pegs, which made me a little wary but the grip to the ground is solid. It helps me mange may Interceptor's weight with much greater ease than I have ever been able to before.

Brand new, the boots weren't as pliable as I would have liked for them to be. The boots are quite big and it felt rather uncomfortable around the gear pedal, especially shifting up and I could feel the entire bulk of the boot move around while shifting. One thing I found rather annoying at the beginning was that the bike kept falling into neutral when I tired to shift between 1 and 3 because I wasn't used to the feel.

About 24 kilometres into the ride, the boots became quite comfortable and I was able to ride as I usually do. I no longer felt that the boots were too big nor did I walk like I was on the moon.

The fit was comfortable right from the beginning and their size recommendations were spot on for me. The heel is supported well and in general they're quite comfortable to walk in and ride in as well.

The only thing bothering me are the marks on the left boot from shifting, that were obvious immediately, but I guess that's not something I can avoid. I tried polishing but that did not make much of a difference.
There are also these slight kinks on the sides of the boots that have formed with use, that are more prominent on the left boot. They make no difference on the inside on the boot and they fit the same.

The Riding Gear thread-20220613_102816.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220613_103146.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase hope to travel long with them. Do let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
adwaith is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:17   #4106
BHPian

Finally got the TCX SP Master for using with the 650f.

Was really confused with the three choices in 20k category. Special thanks to BHP-ian Neil for his review of Falco and his comment about the adv boots. Tried falco oxegen 3 & SP master in Autoqueen, Kochi and decided to move ahead with TCX.
Price differential between the two was around 4.5k and was personally justifiable for the build quality of TCX. Although the TCX claims to be ventilated, my feet has a different opinion . Oxegen 3 on the otherhand is waterproof.

Covered some 150 odd kms on the boot and initial impressions are excellent. Only pain point is that the right leg rests on the rear brake pedal on a slightly pressed manner. Might be that the boot has to break in or I have to break my angle. Not sure if the pedal can be further adjusted to bent position.
The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20220613-9.50.29-am-1.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20220613-9.50.27-am.jpeg
Notice the red padding inside. Its all inside the boot as well.
The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20220613-9.50.29-am.jpeg
rt363 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:38   #4107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Hi everyone!

Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase hope to travel long with them. Do let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Good purchase.
Orazo has been doing great job at offering decent riding boots at fair price.

On the shift marks part, try using a gear level sock on your bike. That will ensure that your boots don't get roughed up.

P.S : I have been using Orazo boots for more that 3 years and the shift marks are nothing to be worried about. They are due to contact patch with gear lever and that's about it.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:04   #4108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt363 View Post
Covered some 150 odd kms on the boot and initial impressions are excellent. Only pain point is that the right leg rests on the rear brake pedal on a slightly pressed manner. Might be that the boot has to break in or I have to break my angle. Not sure if the pedal can be further adjusted to bent position.
Never rest your feet on the rear brake pedal. Even though the pedal usually can be adjusted for some play, it is always good practice to have the ball of your right foot resting on the peg. Your bike is front brake biased always, so moving your right foot to use the rear brake is always for trail braking only.

Soon, this will also become muscle memory. Resting your feet on the rear brake is a bad habit carried forward from the Yezdi's and Bullets of yore.

Congrats on the new boots, they look pretty hot. Lol.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 18:28   #4109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Soon, this will also become muscle memory. Resting your feet on the rear brake is a bad habit carried forward from the Yezdi's and Bullets of yore.

Congrats on the new boots, they look pretty hot. Lol.
Thank you for the insight!
I was not sure if that would be safe technique. Since the brake requires much more pressure to actually brake, assumed that this is also a break-in issue.
Will be mindful from now on.

Indeed they are hot
rt363 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 21:46   #4110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Good purchase.
Orazo has been doing great job at offering decent riding boots at fair price.

On the shift marks part, try using a gear level sock on your bike. That will ensure that your boots don't get roughed up.

P.S : I have been using Orazo boots for more that 3 years and the shift marks are nothing to be worried about. They are due to contact patch with gear lever and that's about it.
Thank you so much for the reassurance. I'll get a lever sock at the earliest.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks