Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 17:34   #36046
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't understand the lack of defensive driving in this situation.
Its like sitting in a bar watching an argument. If you are in the vicinity, you have a high chance of getting hit which happened as the car approached all those cars bunched up trying to outdo one another.

I prefer to stay behind, be patient and accelerate through when the opportunity arises!
ajmat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 18:17   #36047
BHPian

This accident was caught live on my dashcam on Aug 28, 2022. A very close call for me since this could have easily ended up with 3 people in the hospital with serious injuries or worse. The two wheeler guys who fell were lucky to walk away from this with their lives, as well as the Zomato delivery guy.

asmr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:25   #36048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
Who said it lost much speed in the first place? The truck on the left did not have to hit the brakes too hard to catch the pickup driver out because he was tailgating very close already. A light tap on the brakes or even a lift-off for a downshift would have been enough. If you focus on just the two on the left
The truck on the left didnt brake. We can see from his brake lights and also on the stable heads of the occupants of that truck.

The pickup on the left was braking and accelerating to maintain the minimum distance from the truck in front. It is clear from his brake lights.
You see reduction of the distance because the pick up accelerated.

Regarding the last image, when anyone is driving rash and fast at the same time, he is keeping one leg on the accelerator and the other on the brake. These quick braking and acceleration in the same gear makes rash driving possible. Pickup has successfully done it two three times already in this video. Hence, the image you showed with brake lights ON after the contact is easily possible.

The left front truck’s brake lights are not functional, the occupants are unmoved when the truck decelerated, and it was able to keep up with the truck on its right after reducing speed, how all of this is possible at the same time?
On the other hand, the pickup has functional brake lights and they were not ON just before the accident, making it more possible for the pickup to accelerate and make the overtaking move.
He also knew that he was solely to blame, thats why he ran away after the accident.
I think I have analysed this accident enough for myself. Will be happy to respond only if some interesting finding comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
This accident was caught live on my dashcam
@asmr What was the reason for this accident? They fell quite abruptly without any visible obstruction. Did the auto hit them?

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 28th August 2022 at 19:30.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:04   #36049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
This accident was caught live on my dashcam on Aug 28, 2022.
What location is it? Somewhere on GST Road?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:13   #36050
BHPian

Quote:
You see reduction of the distance because the pick up accelerated.
Quite possible. There's no argument that the blame lies squarely on the pickup driver as he was tailgating which resulted in all of this.

Quote:
Regarding the last image, when anyone is driving rash and fast at the same time, he is keeping one leg on the accelerator and the other on the brake.
That's an assumption to make as well but it still doesn't make sense that he would hit the brake pedal when he was trying to overtake.

Quote:
The left front truck’s brake lights are not functional, the occupants are unmoved when the truck decelerated, and it was able to keep up with the truck on its right after reducing speed, how all of this is possible at the same time?
Like I said before all three is possible if it was just a small lift off the throttle. Not hard enough to move the occupants head (provided he was coasting in a high enough gear, admittedly an assumption), not hard enough to lose momentum to the truck on the right and yet hard enough to catch out a dangerously close tailgating pickup driver.

I'm not saying this is exactly what happened, might as well be that the pickup driver accelerated like you said or a mix of both. But even in that case it would be a swerve in avoidance, not an overtaking attempt. That would explain why his brake lights were on. The lesson for him in this instance is to not tailgate this close, more so than looking into his mirror before an overtake.
Old 28th August 2022, 20:23   #36051
BHPian

Quote:

@asmr What was the reason for this accident? They fell quite abruptly without any visible obstruction. Did the auto hit them?
That is what took me by surprise. From behind the wheel, it was as if they simply skidded on nothing! And trust me, I have seen 2 wheelers fall on good roads with no vehicle in front or back for 10meters at least. I was telling my brother-in-law (who was also quite perplexed) that we can review the footage to see why.

And we did. On looking more closely, you can see the auto moving to the right of the bike that fell. Between 10 and 15secs of the footage, you can see that the bike is also drifting slowly to the right, the driver and passenger possibly distracted by their own talking or the car honking on their left. Their handlebar seems to have hit the auto and they fell instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What location is it? Somewhere on GST Road?
Yes, between the last few signals towards Kathipara junction.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 06:47   #36052
BHPian

Came across this on twitter.

Looks like a classical case of Aquaplaning.
No idea what happened to the occupants.

Also, can't help wondering why the person who caught this on camera was recording video at that location.
Old 29th August 2022, 09:15   #36053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had he slowed down further, someone would have overtaken him from the left and occupied this space. It happens so often with me and I end up cursing the 'enough gap from the vehicle in front' rule.
We saw what happened when he did not slow down, had he been defensive, he would not have followed these trucks at those speeds being completely in the blind. In such cases its always best to back off and cruise till you get an opportunity to drop a gear and disappear.
Maverick5490 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 09:41   #36054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
... In such cases its always best to back off and cruise till you get an opportunity to drop a gear and disappear.
To be blunt, anyone who tailgates like that is a lousy, unsafe driver. small/mini-truck drivers seem to often do so. His wild swerve to the right made no sense at all.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 12:45   #36055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had he slowed down further, someone would have overtaken him from the left and occupied this space. It happens so often with me and I end up cursing the 'enough gap from the vehicle in front' rule.
A fair point.

However, driving in India means sharing the road with a very high percentage of total morons. This kind of frustration of people cutting in line is real. Let's be honest, it's not just on the roads where this shitty me-first attitude exists. But if you do the same, you will invariably have an accident like that on the video.

The only real recourse is to mentally prepare for these people and let them past. If it's any comfort, they will all have an accident exactly as you saw on the video sooner rather than later. And probably not learn from it either!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 14:47   #36056

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Also, can't help wondering why the person who caught this on camera was recording video at that location.
Looks like the person who caught this video was well aware of the possibility of Aquaplaning and this spot might be an accident-prone area. He might have done this for his YouTube Channel (Just a guess only).
m_sobin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 21:22   #36057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other video is very unfortunate. It can happen with anyone. The driver of the lorry was too careless. God save us from these drivers.
The driver of the car that got hit, whose dashcam footage we've viewed, didn't think about being in the blind spot of the mini-truck.

https://www.brookslawfirm.com/truck-...0blind%20spots.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Out-of-...7s-Blind-Spots

In case you're thinking that this is only a mini-truck and hence blind spots shouldn't matter - please realize that even 2 wheelers with 2 functional RVMs have blind spots (snarky comment - 2 wheelers without mirrors are 100% blind; they don't just have blindspots). It is not about the size of the vehicle but about the physics involved.

On a clear day, if you can't see the eyes of the driver in front, that means he can't see you either. At night, of if dealing with a high-slung heavy vehicle, you've simply got to know where the vehicle's blind spots lie and stay away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sobin View Post
Looks like the person who caught this video was well aware of the possibility of Aquaplaning and this spot might be an accident-prone area. He might have done this for his YouTube Channel (Just a guess only).
I know of one confirmed place where people sit around the highway shoulder and wait for accidents to happen. They swoop down on the victims in smouldering wreckages and rob them of money or valuables, before calling for an 108 ambulance and acting the savior. These people know the accident prone spots near their locality and wait it out.

There's one such hotspot on the Chennai-Trichy highway where a relative of mine managed to save her Gold mangalsutra despite being in shock and pain with broken bones.

Last edited by locusjag : 29th August 2022 at 21:23.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 23:51   #36058

The complete lack of awareness of most road users about the correct etiquette of approaching and crossing a pedestrian crossing is shameful! Even on this forum.

That being said - Some observations

a) As always I blame our education system. We are so hell-bent on rote that we fail to teach our children the correct way to live and behave.

b) Children see - Children do. And given that most parents blatantly break traffic rules with their children in tow - most road users know nothing of proper traffic discipline.

c) Poor signage - Our roads are plagued by the apathy of the users and the administration. The administration doesn't bother to install proper signage - and when installed, the users refuse to pay heed and follow.
In Hyderabad - Where this incident occurred - signage is modestly ok. But still plagued with *^%*&%$* who stick their posters covering the road sign. Another BIG BIG BIG issue is road width. In lots of places, the roads are 4 lanes wide (one way) with signs measuring 14" to 20" on only one or both sides of the road - Hidden from proper view. So 9 out of 10 times - the road user doesn't even know a sign is present (not that he is looking for one anyway).
Also given that we refuse to follow any proper lane discipline - and two-wheelers being the biggest defaulters - squeezing between huge busses / trucks / cars results in the signage being hidden behind said vehicles.

Lastly - Our wonderful dancing pedestrians. In a situation like this should have just kept going instead of taking a step back and dancing. Numerous examples have we all encountered where the biped causes the accident by not being decisive. Again this is because most of them walk across roads like it is a park and not a potential death trap with high-speed metal (or plastic) objects shooting across.
Old 30th August 2022, 07:55   #36059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyBhai View Post
a) As always I blame our education system. We are so hell-bent on rote that we fail to teach our children the correct way to live and behave.

b) Children see - Children do. And given that most parents blatantly break traffic rules with their children in tow - most road users know nothing of proper traffic discipline
Just felt like sharing an incident I witnessed a few years back. Nothing gruesome involved.

I was waiting to cross the road at an intersection, there was this mother and a little boy (the kid was addressing her as mom) of about 10 years old next to me. When there was a very light clearing in the traffic the mom decided to cross the road, dragging her child along. The boy was trying to pull her back, saying that he was taught at school to wait for the pedestrian crossing signal. The mom said something to the effect of 'hell with your teacher' and dragged the kid accross. They did cross the road without any serious consequences.

Being aware that there are drivers caring two hoots for traffic signals or pedestrians and despite myself being an individual who doesn't always wait for a pedestrian crossing signal even at places where it is available. To this day, I feel terribly sorry for that child,
crdi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 09:34   #36060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Was unfortunate to witness an exactly similar accident yesterday 7PM on NH47 (it's a joke to call a narrow median-less road as NH) at Paravur (Alappuzha, KL).
On my return journey yesterday, I stopped at the place. It was Kalathattu junction at Punnapra (not Paravur), not far from the Alappuzha medical college - an accident-prone BlackSpot junction.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2b4fb2f2ae54448998634b3c1cbc683e.jpeg
The car was turning right into the lane from which the Tata Ace is entering the main road. The bike was coming from opposite side. I was standing in the circled area.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-e747819faaa844dbbe3839f02d33dee3.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
I was waiting to cross the road at an intersection, there was this mother and a little boy. When there was a very light clearing in the traffic the mom decided to cross the road, dragging her child along. The boy was trying to pull her back, saying that he was taught at school to wait for the pedestrian crossing signal. The mom said something to the effect of 'hell with your teacher' and dragged the kid across. To this day, I feel terribly sorry for that child,
I had an opposite experience long ago. It was 1998 & I was at Ghent (Belgium) on work. It's 7:30AM & I am at a pedestrian crossing waiting to cross the road as my bus to office stops there. From far I can see my bus coming, but it's not yet green for pedestrians to cross. If I miss that bus, it will be 15mins for the next bus & I will not reach office by 8AM.

A father & son are waiting with me to cross the road. As the bus approaches, there is a lull in traffic & I think of running across. As I put a foot forward, the father says something to me. I tell him that I know only English. He replies, "Please don't set a wrong example for the kids."

I am totally embarrassed & apologize to him. Wait & cross after it's green & catch the next bus. Still fresh in my mind 24 years later.

Kids learn by example, not sermons which the kid sees the preacher himself not following.
supremeBaleno is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks