Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 10:57   #36796
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This height barrier should have been visible, not sure how the driver missed it.
Over-confident that they would be able to cross it. I got these on my Youtube feed few days ago.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:14   #36797
BHPian

Re: Midnight accident between bus and an ‘aeroplane’ at Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This decommissioned aircraft being transported to Hyderabad is creating quite a lot of chaos on Kerala's roads. Today I see that the truck carrying the fuselage got stuck on a bridge near Chavara on NH 66.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...ra-bridge.html

(Report is in Malayalam, but the photo tells the whole story).
OT on this thread. But thought of sharing this update.
As of 4:30 AM today, this truck crossed Palakkad.
On the way to office, i encountered it again at the KG Chavadi checkpost in Palakkad Coimbatore stretch. I did not expect it to reach here so soon. I thought this would be one of those lumbering cargo which would take its own sweet time.
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 11:18   #36798
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Why is overspeeding always the case with Innovas and Cretas?

If I see 10 Innovas and 10 Cretas on the road, only 3 out of 10 would be driven at sane speeds and that is on a good day.
While this is off topic: There are definite trends to driving rash. Demographically, in my area, I haven't seen many (or any) Fortuners being driven sanely. Innova, not so much, but Creta, yes 7 in 10 are rash, Honda City (5 out of 10).

Not that there aren't other cars which are driven insanely, but some cars much more than others. Example, till the early days of Skoda Laura, it was a car regularly haunting the roads, but Octavia now, is not so much seen as a rashly driven car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I commute on the NH daily and an aggressively driven Innova is always more scary than a Brezza or i20 driven the same way.
That's exactly the problem. These huge cars are becoming more powerful than anything else on the road. There is no denying that their driving position and weight inspires confidence in the driver and that makes it very very dangerous for every other road user (Pedestrians or cars). It is a dangerous trend and I guess, eventually to feel safe I'll also have to indulge in Big/ Heavy SUV, just to be not bullied.
SLK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:13   #36799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Over-confident that they would be able to cross it. I got these on my Youtube feed few days ago.
That tree is definitely a problem looking at all the mishaps. It is inclined a bit too much towards the road. It isnt too obvious for people new to the road.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 14:04   #36800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I learnt my lessons in a rather hard way.
Count your lucky stars and thank your guardian angels that you didn’t hit the lady crossing the road. While jaywalking is a huge bane in India, you would always be the culprit no matter who was at fault.

Here’s another lesson for free. Biggest vehicle involved in the accident is always the guilty party.
Old 9th November 2022, 14:25   #36801
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Chevrolet Beat is a strong goddamn car. No denying this fact.

Saikishor
Lucky to get away uninjured, thank God for that. My friend had a cherry Red Beat and always talks how good the car is. BTW - is your car from the first lot of CKD ?
RunGaDa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 14:49   #36802
BHPian

Quote:
I learnt my lessons in a rather hard way. I was doing 70-80kmph on the Kokapet main road and a lady suddenly started to cross the road
Hi Mate,

Sorry to see you have toppled on a road just beside my home.
I really cant comprehend how can one reach such high speed on this road which has a big massive speed breaker at both ends and also has slippery gravel and stone chips from all the construction activity going nearby.

I had noticed your car while having tea on the way home and the locals said that learner car( your car) was trying to 'race' a big car and toppled.

Hope you recover quickly.

Regards

Last edited by HsekarK : 9th November 2022 at 14:51.
HsekarK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:15   #36803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Thats one vengenful tree!
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:45   #36804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Thats one vengenful tree!
You are kidding, right?

We see idiots who have:
(1) Long items protruding out of their vehicle
(2) Have no clue about the dimensions of their vehicle
(3) Modified their vehicle to ridiculous height with nary a thought about extra dimensions, associated upward shift in CG when loaded & resulting instability, also poor rearward visibility etc.

And we are blaming the poor stationary tree for all this?
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:58   #36805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
And we are blaming the poor stationary tree for all this?
If you cannot understand the sarcasm in the post, at least be kind enough to stay away from assuming from what the other person may or may not think. I have attached an emotion to an inanimate object, I am surprised you interpreted it as blaming the tree! The stupidity of the drivers in those videos is not lost on anyone.

Quote:
Buy a strong and safe car. Safety ratings do matter is what I felt after my incident. Things would've been different if I was in a Hyundai-Kia or a Maruti.

I am glad you came away unscathed, but its not fair to say safety ratings do not matter. They matter significantly. A lot of people infer an badly mangled car as being unsafe versus a car with little damage as safe ones. The safety ratings are issued based on number of parameters including but not limited to its ability in minimizing injury and loss of life to both people inside the car and pedestrians on the road. Hyundai and Kia have a number of cars with 4 & 5 star rating. On the other hand, I remember reading the Indian made Beat scored a zero in one of the NCAP ratings.

Last edited by SR-71 : 9th November 2022 at 16:59.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 17:32   #36806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
Lucky to get away uninjured, thank God for that. My friend had a cherry Red Beat and always talks how good the car is. BTW - is your car from the first lot of CKD ?
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, it is from the initial CKD batch. We booked it in January 2010 and received it in April 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsekarK View Post
Sorry to see you have toppled on a road just beside my home.
I really cant comprehend how can one reach such high speed on this road which has a big massive speed breaker at both ends and also has slippery gravel and stone chips from all the construction activity going nearby.

I had noticed your car while having tea on the way home and the locals said that learner car( your car) was trying to 'race' a big car and toppled.

Hope you recover quickly.
Hi mate,thanks for the kind words. I completely accept my mistake of overspeeding on a newly laid out road with gravel on it. However I will not accept the racing part. I was alone in my car and my friends were coming behind me in an Indica Vista. I overtook them as they had slowed down. And just after a couple of moments after I overtook them this took place. If I was at a lower speed this might have not happened at all. I was racing no car at all.

Quote:
I am glad you came away unscathed, but its not fair to say safety ratings do not matter. They matter significantly. A lot of people infer an badly mangled car as being unsafe versus a car with little damage as safe ones. The safety ratings are issued based on number of parameters including but not limited to its ability in minimizing injury and loss of life to both people inside the car and pedestrians on the road. Hyundai and Kia have a number of cars with 4 & 5 star rating. On the other hand, I remember reading the Indian made Beat scored a zero in one of the NCAP ratings.

As far as I remember, and from my knowledge, the airbag variant of the Beat has a 4 star rating. This has been mentioned in the Team BHP official review as well. And I also mentioned that safety ratings do matter. I believe sheet metal quality and usage of high strength steel in crucial areas are not upto the mark in Hyundai-Kia and Maruti vehicles. Hence the comment.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2022 at 18:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 18:51   #36807
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai and Kia have a number of cars with 4 & 5 star rating.
Nice to know, it would be informative to me if you can please share which 'Indian' Hyundai-Kia model has safety rating of 4 or 5 stars, especially those without the 'unstable' bodyshell remark?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 9th November 2022 at 18:54.
tbppjpr is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 22:11   #36808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Nice to know, it would be informative to me if you can please share which 'Indian' Hyundai-Kia model has safety rating of 4 or 5 stars, especially those without the 'unstable' bodyshell remark?
The Hyundai Non-existo! Jokes aside, it is rather sad that Hyundai has decided that us Indians are not worthy of owning a safe and well built automobile. I have recently had the "privilege" of sitting in a Hyundai Venue and the weight and structural integrity of the doors feel appalling when compared to its rival, the XUV3OO. It truly is a shame that Hyundai woos you with magic words like premium and plush and fit and finish to advertise their crown jewel, the "CRETA" when in reality, it is just an alien spaceship made out of tin.
ExtremePocca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 22:29   #36809
BHPian

Glad to hear that you came out unscathed except for minor bruises. The car doesn't look like it's toppled; it survived the crash so well. The repair bill is just rs 40k so there is no structural damage at all.
In moments like this one realized that strong & safe cars are far better than unsafe cars (read Maruti, Hyundai) with all the bells & whistles.

Quote:

Buy a strong and safe car. Safety ratings do matter is what I felt after my incident. Things would've been different if I was in a Hyundai-Kia or a Maruti.

Repair cost has been estimated to be around 40-50k. We will mostly claim insurance. A pillar is still intact as per my mechanic, so we proceeded to go ahead. Thoughts on this will be appreciated.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 09:58   #36810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely accept my mistake of overspeeding on a newly laid out road with gravel on it. However I will not accept the racing part.
Unfortunately as is the case with most small cars, a simple overtake means that the small petrol motor will need to be revved out and considering the lack of insulation, it can often be misconstrued by onlookers as an aggressive racey move Your car seems to have handled the impact really well I think I remember the Beat being one of the only small cars to handle the small overlap frontal impact crash test conducted by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety in america, decently compared to others like the Fiat500, Honda Jazz (Fit in US market) which all failed miserably when the test was first introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremePocca View Post
The Hyundai Non-existo! Jokes aside, it is rather sad that Hyundai has decided that us Indians are not worthy of owning a safe and well built automobile.
OT but what is even more sad and shocking is that the company seems to have managed its public image really well. I have non car inclined friends telling me that they believe the Kia Sonet is the perfect sub 20 lac vehicle, folks on t-bhp itself single out cars like the Hyundai Venue amongst others in the class stating better perceived social status it truly is amazing what a few leds, features and a bunch of predictable creases in the body work can do for a car company. Even on our forum there exists a thread about scary downright dangerous brake failures in the Hyundai Creta yet the company seems to have taken no hit to their public image quite impressive and scary I must say

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th November 2022 at 10:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks