Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 21:23   #15346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Was shared in some other community, no idea how it happened.
O boy, that's serious damage to the brand also. I hope people at MSIL follow our threads and are working on this. Shocking indeed. It doesn't seem to be a damage done for extraction of injured people.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:48   #15347
BHPian

Quote:
My gosh! Was it just the swift? What did this to it? Could it be a result of a high speed angled collision with a tree perhaps? The body seems to have separated quite easily.

Last edited by noopster : 7th May 2014 at 22:38.
Old 8th May 2014, 02:51   #15348
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Had seen a video on YouTube, I guess from some European transport safety group showing how an unbuckled rear seat passenger can cause injury to not just him/herself but also to the front seat occupants.
Google "Julie knew her killer."

It comes from a golden age of Public Information films made by people who could compress a Hitchcock film into two minutes. (edit: 32 seconds!)

I promise: you will never forget it. I haven't, and I saw it on British TV when it was new.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 06:52   #15349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Toddler crushed by Class XII boy at the wheel

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/34750642.cms

"We are yet to get my son's ashes and his killer is already out." - really sad state of affairs only in India!

When will we ever learn?
It is a sad accident, no doubt. But unqualified youngsters driving cars and causing accidents is not something unique to India. For example:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/...ving-accident/

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Actually, there is research evidence that says monetary penalty will only serve to INCREASE non-compliance. It is my opinion that this is especially true in India.
Please provide citations in the context of seat belt use.[/quote]

Not in the context of seat belt use, but it is a rather well-known result in psychology. When you apply economic penalty, then it is treated as a cost, and if the resulting cost/benefit analysis suggests that the benefits are bigger than costs, then compliance goes for a toss.

This is also the reason that the Rs. 100 fine does nothing to stop illegal parking (it is written off as cost of parking), but Rs. 100 fine + clamps stops it rather effectively (the clamps cause one to lose time, which is rather priceless for most of us. In Mumbai getting the clamps off is a minimum 1 hour process).

In my view, time is the only penalty that would work in India. If the errant driver (and his passengers!) is made to wait for 3 hours to pay the fine, then compliance would be much better. In contrast to an instant fine and move on, or pay the fine later online.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th May 2014 at 19:12. Reason: Posts merged.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 07:47   #15350
BHPian

Quote:
Please provide citations in the context of seat belt use.

Not in the context of seat belt use, but it is a rather well-known result in psychology. When you apply economic penalty, then it is treated as a cost, and if the resulting cost/benefit analysis suggests that the benefits are bigger than costs, then compliance goes for a toss.

This is also the reason that the Rs. 100 fine does nothing to stop illegal parking (it is written off as cost of parking), but Rs. 100 fine + clamps stops it rather effectively (the clamps cause one to lose time, which is rather priceless for most of us. In Mumbai getting the clamps off is a minimum 1 hour process).

In my view, time is the only penalty that would work in India. If the errant driver (and his passengers!) is made to wait for 3 hours to pay the fine, then compliance would be much better. In contrast to an instant fine and move on, or pay the fine later online.
I agree with your statements. As long one is able to pay for mistakes through the nominal money as penalty and allowed drive and commit more mistakes, enforcement of rules will be tough in India.

Many(most) times, the parents of the young drivers are responsible along with our education system and license issuing authority. While no parents will tell their child to Kill others or commit suicide, unfortunately they do keep quite or don't warn/educate their children enough to caution them on driving.

While 4-laning of roads have decreased the accident and casualty rate per passenger per KM, the good roads have also leading to increased number of personal vehicles and distance travelled and in net on net contributing to increase in absolute number of casualty. Really sorry state of affair.

We really need society to realise the importance of rules and patience while driving. Just like how the society is slowly realising voting by everyone is important. We need heavy penalties and keep the offender from driving for a prolonged period.

Last edited by manjubp : 8th May 2014 at 07:50.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 09:15   #15351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a sad accident, no doubt. But unqualified youngsters driving cars and causing accidents is not something unique to India.
More than the kid driving the car, i would hold his parents responsible for giving the car key to him when he does not have a driving license in the first place.
Irresponsible parents are the ones corrupting the next generation.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 10:58   #15352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
More than the kid driving the car, i would hold his parents responsible for giving the car key to him when he does not have a driving license in the first place.
In a recent case in my home town (Calicut), a kid took his dad's car keys in the dead of the night (around 1 AM) and then went for a joyride with friends.

When I was a pre-degree student, many of my classmates had motorbikes financed by local loan sharks that their parents knew nothing about. I understand this scheme still operates in Kerala.

Blaming the parents is not the answer. In many cases parents are not even aware that their kids are driving.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:20   #15353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
O boy, that's serious damage to the brand also. I hope people at MSIL follow our threads and are working on this. Shocking indeed. It doesn't seem to be a damage done for extraction of injured people.
This is just a small car which rates very high on crash testing ratings . I dont see any damage done to the brand here . This is clearly a case of very high speed driving where the car has hit the tree sideways . Its the driver's fault here . Even bigger expensive cars would have met a similar fate when hit sideways at high speeds against a tree or a pole.

You cannot blame the car maker if people dont have the common sense to driver carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
My gosh! Was it just the swift? What did this to it? Could it be a result of a high speed angled collision with a tree perhaps? The body seems to have separated quite easily.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:51   #15354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Google "Julie knew her killer."

It comes from a golden age of Public Information films made by people who could compress a Hitchcock film into two minutes. (edit: 32 seconds!)

I promise: you will never forget it. I haven't, and I saw it on British TV when it was new.
That indeed was killer!

Will forward this to as many people as I can - especially my dad who hates wearing the seatbelt!
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 15:20   #15355
Senior - BHPian

Passed a horrible accident on the Delhi Cantt flyover. Looked like a case of street racing gone horribly wrong. Two vehicles involved, a Swift and a Pajero Sport both looked as if they toppled and spin multiple times before coming to rest. The swift was a crumpled mess and the Pajero Sport had its roof cave in so much that it was almost until the window line. No idea if there were any casualties but going by the state of the cars, there would be serious injury at least if any of the occupant were not belted. No pictures unfortunately.
Old 8th May 2014, 18:38   #15356
Senior - BHPian

An educated guess says, car rammed sideways in to the tree and the tree stood firm.

In 10 out of 10 cases, the trees will win their bouts with all things automotive.

Quote:

Attachment 1238110

Attachment 1238111

Last edited by khoj : 8th May 2014 at 18:53.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 18:43   #15357
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a pretty much banged up scorpio on old madras road a little ahead of K R Puram. The car had dents all over and its front bumper was ripped off. Couldnt get any details since I was going to Kolar and the vehicle was lying on the opposite side of the road diagonally lying across the right lane.

Looks like the accident happened just a while ago. However there were no other vehicles I could spot.
Old 9th May 2014, 00:34   #15358
BHPian

Just saw a brand new Xuv crashed onto a pole in front of Mayur Vihar Metro station. The car had temporary registration plates HR 99 xx xxxx. Front was smashed as car jumped on the divider and hit the pole. The Divider separates the road turning left and the road going straight.

Ambulance and cops present at the scene with 3-4 trucks parked nearby.

No pictures as I was driving.

Last edited by sinharishi : 9th May 2014 at 00:38. Reason: Adding info
Old 9th May 2014, 06:22   #15359
Senior - BHPian

A terrible incident in Delhi caused the death of a 38 year old businessman. The Toyota Etios he was driving suddenly burst into flames and the poor man was unable to get out.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/34847473.cms
Old 9th May 2014, 09:55   #15360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A terrible incident in Delhi caused the death of a 38 year old businessman. The Toyota Etios he was driving suddenly burst into flames and the poor man was unable to get out.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/34847473.cms
Another article on the same topic:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/d...ome-topstories

R.I.P. Anil.

Must confess, this is my biggest fear when starting any journey. This has prevented me from repairing automatic lock on one of the doors of my car which has gone kaput. The particular door is now operated manually.
I assume, if the automatic lock jams all other doors during a fire incident, the defunct door could just provide an emergency exit. May be

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks