Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 09:28   #30466
SLK
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
At 195 or 205 mm, I don't think the tyres are skinnny. Unless the OEM sizes were changed.
Eeco has OEM 155mm, if that's what we are talking about.
Old 18th February 2020, 10:43   #30467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At 195 or 205 mm, I don't think the tyres are skinnny. Unless the OEM sizes were changed.
The car in context is a Maruti Eeco and not Ford Ecosport.

The way Eecos are driven in cab service in Delhi-NCR and elsewhere, I always fear that it'll topple. High CG with thin tyres and a powerful engine with a nut driver is a recepie for disaster.
Old 18th February 2020, 11:09   #30468
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies. I thought it was an Ecosport. Blame it on speed reading on a phone.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:24   #30469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post

See for yourself. I count 14 bikes on the wrong side of the road in just 2 mins.
I can count 16, there are 2 on the left in the beginning of the video. This is becoming a huge issue of late. On my way to office I've seen, not just 2 wheeler but even cars and buses do this. No patience and selfish nature of people with utter disregard of others is the reason.
Old 18th February 2020, 14:04   #30470
Senior - BHPian

Another one runs off flyover in Hyderabad

Source: NDTV

Quote:
One person was killed and five others injured when a car in which they were travelling in fell off a flyover in Hyderabad in the early hours of Tuesday, police said.
The car skid off Bharat Nagar flyover and came crashing down on the road below around 2.45 a.m. However, no one below the flyover was injured as the road was almost deserted.
Quote:
This is the second such incident in the city in less than three months. On November 23 last year, a speeding car fell off the newly inaugurated Biodiversity Flyover in the information technology corridor.

Police said the car was zipping past at a speed of over 100 km per hour at the time of the accident. However, K.K. Milan Rao's counsel said he was driving the vehicle at 50-60 kmph and blamed the accident on the faulty design of the flyover.
Old 18th February 2020, 14:14   #30471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Video from a CCTV camera nearby:

Old 18th February 2020, 17:34   #30472
Senior - BHPian

Pretty soon, we will need to put warning signs near flyovers:

"Beware of falling objects!"

Wonder what will be going in their head as the plummet off the flyover...
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:55   #30473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Thankfully they did not land on the railway track portion that has overhead electric lines underneath. Could have been a total catastrophe.

Now unlike the biodiversity flyover, Bharat Nagar overbridge has no curves. So who/what exactly is he/she blaming?
Old 18th February 2020, 23:12   #30474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
This happened with us on 15th Feb
The problem here is the clear slowdown that happened when the car was behind the tractor. That point gave enough time for the truck to catch up @speed and distance to your car when she came for the overtake while the truck had no time to react "Slow reaction of truck, etc"

Glad you all are safe thats what ultimately matters.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:53   #30475
Senior - BHPian

This video was shared as being from Kerala.

Thankfully the bike rider escaped with minor injuries.
It looks like the overall speed was a little high for the street. (assumption and not really proveable).
The biker attempts a quick overtake by going on the opposite side of the road.
The JCB changes lane (?to cross the road) without much indication.
The biker brakes and tries to change lanes to avoid a crash. He ends up skidding and falling after some drama.
Does the bike have ABS? And could he have controlled the bike better at those speeds of braking?
BenjiRoss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:02   #30476
BHPian

I first thought that the guy was doing a powerslide stunt. And he almost pulled it off.

This is one of the primary mistakes of riders in India - the over dependence on the rear brakes. The fact he was able to maneuver the handle shows he hasn't braked at front at all! While 100% he doesn't have ABS, I think with the correct application of front brakes (he has a disc brake up front) he would have sailed through.

With the ABS - he wouldn't have locked up, but just the rear brake application would have proved ineffective to reduce the speed.

On a similar note - This video proves the stupidity of Indian manufacturers to provide just a single channel ABS (at front only) even in 300cc bikes like Jawa. We Indians do not know how to use the front disc brakes on our two wheelers and hence need 2 channel ABS.
sai_ace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:11   #30477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
This is one of the primary mistakes of riders in India - the over dependence on the rear brakes.
You're probably right when speaking for all Indian riders (I don't know/can't say that about everyone else) - but my early riding career as a 7 year old on my BSA Champ bicycle () saw me having nasty falls whenever I would use only the front brakes. I even remember one instance where the bicycle's rear-end kicked up when the front brake bit really hard.

So it goes - and what's more, add to it the folklore I've heard from other people around you ("oh, he hit the front brakes, fell down at speed and died") - I used to never apply the front brakes on any of my motorcycles.

My 2017 RE Electra has, however, forced me to rely heavily on the front disc brake 70% of the time. The rear brakes began to give way barely 4 months into its ownership since I used to rely solely on it. Now, I only apply the rear drum brakes after the front has bit.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:23   #30478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
You're probably right when speaking for all Indian riders (I don't know/can't say that about everyone else) - but my early riding career as a 7 year old on my BSA Champ bicycle () saw me having nasty falls whenever I would use only the front brakes..
Thats a lot of conditioning that gets built in by riding bicycles. Plus, all the grownups kept harping on about staying away from the front brakes.
I used to have an RX 100 and a bullet way back in 98-99. The RX 100 under full panic braking was capable of pulling a stoppie, and did so occasionally. The bullet, however, it always skidded just like a car would, both wheels locked. This was due to the sheer mass of the iron beast. My pulsar, however, with the disc in front, that was amazingly confident.
I am sure riders today would also be educating their kids better when they first pick a motorbike to disregard the braking they learnt on their bicycles.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 12:22   #30479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post

Thankfully the bike rider escaped with minor injuries.
Thank goodness he fell on the bike and the bike did not fall on him. He lives to fight another day, hopefully this experience would have taught him something

Last edited by arvind71181 : 19th February 2020 at 12:23.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 17:29   #30480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The biker attempts a quick overtake by going on the opposite side of the road.
The JCB changes lane (?to cross the road) without much indication.
If you watch carefully the biker has started skidding at second 7 in your video, where as the JCB driving close to the middle of the road starts moving right nearly a second later, it is very possible that the JCB driver saw the stunt in his LHS mirror and with no oncoming vehicle decided to move to RHS to avoid this fellow crashing into his rear.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks