Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2015, 23:43   #17791
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It should be remembered that the overtaking vehicle does not have the right of way: overtakes should be sure that have a clear road, and that the vehicle they are overtaking is not going to have to move out, eg for a biker.
Last I heard was flashing of lights overrules each and everything you say!

These days, folks do not flash beams to caution others that they are blocking your way but mainly to say - Look, I am arriving, where's the carpet & get out of my way no matter where you are.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 07:11   #17792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump Start View Post
It was a pretty bad hit. The lorry just got into the lane without any indication and the bus was doing pretty good speed. the driver and another passenger behind the driver were badly injured. the passenger had a broken leg. the rest of them had some minor injuries. I was in the middle row, so was just thrown about in the impact.
Looking at the snap, it is a miracle as to how the driver of the bus survived the impact. Thank God no fatalities and good to know you did not suffer any injuries.
Speed is always a deterrent on Indian highways. Quite difficult to say what speed to be maintained.
Old 8th June 2015, 09:17   #17793
BHPian

Bad accident on Aquatic Complex road, Velacherry - Chennai

Saw this bad accident.
A speeding Scala hit an auto that made a U turn & crashed into a tree.
Scala driver escaped without a scratch , thanks to air bags!
Auto got mangled totally & the driver was admitted to the hospital. Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433735218403.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-1433735229888.jpg
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 09:21   #17794
BHPian

Driving in that stretch weekly, I have noticed trucks having utter disdain for rules and regularly see trucks flashing lights and coming in wrong lane. I have even encountered trucks coming in wrong direction on the fly over before vellore.
Its good to know there were no casualties.
When I travel by bus I always take Roadlink and somehow from a long time I choose to pick a seat in the second last of third last row as I feel safer there and never sit in front even if the rides a little bumpier at the back!
Old 8th June 2015, 15:22   #17795
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-frm-man.jpg

Somewhere between Rupnagar, Punjab and Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 9th June 2015, 10:26   #17796
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Sankar, At least that guy stopped the vehicle, most times people just zoom. Did he pay up?
Since the damage was not much and because he apologised for his mistake I thought to let go of it and moved on.
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 10:45   #17797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Since the damage was not much and because he apologised for his mistake I thought to let go of it and moved on.
Good gesture by you Sankar and true to TBHP spirit

There is no point in crying over spilled milk. Had you got into an argument with him, it could have ruined your day . In all the freak accidents that I have encountered till date, I have refrained from getting into any arguments as long as the other party is apologetic and ready to accept his mistake.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:52   #17798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Was driving down to Bangalore today from Chennai around 5 45 am and there was a minor traffic jam about 30 -35 kms before Ranipet.
Saw this Seabird bus as in photos and just ahead saw a sand lorry lying turtle facing the wrong direction just near an intersection of the highway road.
perhaps the sand lorry came in wrong direction to take a turn at the intersection and got rammed by the bus.
Anyone has any news on the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump Start View Post
It was a pretty bad hit. The lorry just got into the lane without any indication and the bus was doing pretty good speed. the driver and another passenger behind the driver were badly injured. the passenger had a broken leg. the rest of them had some minor injuries. I was in the middle row, so was just thrown about in the impact.

Saw this bus at NICE road exit @ PES,Link road. There was one more Sea bird bus and 5-6 persons inspecting and taking pics of the damage.Looked like an insurance survey
Old 9th June 2015, 12:10   #17799
Senior - BHPian

Hit and run accident, happened near Hansen (got it through whatsapp). The cat died on the spot. RIP.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150609wa0007.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150609wa0008.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20150609wa0006.jpg

--Anoop
Old 9th June 2015, 12:18   #17800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hit and run accident, happened near Hansen (got it through whatsapp). The cat died on the spot. RIP.

--Anoop
You sure about it, Anoop?
Asking because, a friend on a WhatsApp group had sent this, " That leopard was wounded and it has been successfully captured by the Hassan RFO. It will be rehabilitated soon. "

Name:  ForumRunner_20150609_121748.png
Views: 4932
Size:  708.6 KB
Old 9th June 2015, 12:49   #17801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
You sure about it, Anoop?
Asking because, a friend on a WhatsApp group had sent this, " That leopard was wounded and it has been successfully captured by the Hassan RFO. It will be rehabilitated soon. "
Attachment 1380035
Can't be 100% sure - the friend who saw the cat lying on the spot said it was dead, but will be really happy if the cat was not dead and is only wounded.

--Anoop
Old 9th June 2015, 13:42   #17802
BHPian

Mumbai: 2 dead, 2 injured after an Audi rams into a taxi on the eastern freeway, driver arrested

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/mu...d-1003672.html
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audi_accident.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-audi_accident3.jpg  

gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:26   #17803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm very impressed that he stopped and apologised. Nice of you to accept, and even in a good spirit too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:28   #17804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Mumbai: 2 dead, 2 injured after an Audi rams into a taxi on the eastern freeway, driver arrested

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/mu...d-1003672.html
ndtv has better details of the accident including the name of the driver who was under the influence when the accident happened.

http://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/2-de...-lateststories
Old 9th June 2015, 22:23   #17805
Senior - BHPian

First thing's first - No one was hurt. Matter was settled amicably!

A careless minibus driver parks without hand brakes and in neutral. He locks it and goes some where. The bus rolls backwards, passes the stone divider, hits an OMNI, which in turn hits my Linea, continues to roll onto the foot path and comes to a halt after hitting a tree.

- If impact to my car was more, I would have hit the 2 wheeler passing in front of me hard and he would have hit the bus and possible got squeezed
- If I had not let the other bus coming into the circle and I proceeded straight making the bus wait, the mini bus would have T boned the other bus.
- If mini bus had not hit the OMNI and hadn't lost bit of momentum, it anyway would have T boned into the other bus.

At the end, no one was hurt. Linea bumper took all the impact, but the tail light cracked. The OMNI was little badly damaged as it took the impact of the mini bus and also had to hit Linea bumper. On the OMNI, rear tail light and front head lights need to be replaced, rear hatch will need to be tinkered and painted, front right fender needs work and driver side door is jammed.

The owner of bus from the travel office, after over a hour of arguments settles with both cars amicably. Having the DVR certainly helps. After seeing the Always On DVR(wired it to be 24/7), the travel guys knew they had no chance to argue (In the melee, they did not know my car was front most and wouldn't have recorded incident in entirety though. Some one also spread a rumour that my DVR has multiple cameras and records 360 degree to my advantage)

funkykar is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed