Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 10:05   #25516
BHPian

Spotted this just now, before the beginning of the flyover at Subash Chowk in Gurugram, while coming from Hero honda chowk. The major damage on the car was on the other side.
The car also had an impact and broke a tree. Was not able to figure out whether the car jumped a median or was traveling in the same direction. No info about any injuries casualties. Happened a while back I guess.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516509157.488607.jpg
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:16   #25517
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Spotted this just now, before the beginning of the flyover at Subash Chowk in Gurugram ...
I was puzzling as to why the car had some sort of bandage wrapped around it. Then I noticed the fence in the background!

Quote:
The car also had an impact and broke a tree.
In car v tree, it is very often the car that comes off worse.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:05   #25518
Senior - BHPian

This accident happened in Vadodara (or rather in outskirts of Vadodara) and a few hours after the accident I was passing by the spot. There was a huge crowd gathered around remnants of this crash so couldn't take any images. The way crowd gathered was another crash into making as road was occupied by the crowd's vehicles and crowd itself.

There were 9 passengers in Eeco.

Image Source

Article :
Quote:
VADODARA: In a tragic road accident two medical students and a van driver lost their lives and six other students sustained injuries on Saturday afternoon after a truck rammed into the car they were travelling in near Bhimpura Chowkdi on the way to Vadodara from Anand.
The students of Pramukh Swami Medical College and KM Patel Institute of Physiotherapy in Karamsad were returning to city after attending their classes on Saturday. While on their way, after crossing Anklav, a truck coming from opposite direction at Bhimpura chowkdi near Sindhrot rammed into their van. The impact was such that the van turned turtle and the front wheels of the truck got detached. Police had to call an excavating machine to lift the roof of the car to remove the bodies.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bhimpura-accident.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:12   #25519
BHPian

40 vehicles pile up on NH 1 near Karnal, Haryana
Video says "on 22nd Jan, 2018" but that might be incorrect (warning = video gets gory toward the end).

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2018 at 08:44. Reason: Note about it being gory toward the end
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:32   #25520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
40 vehicles pile up on NH 1 near Karnal, Haryana on 22nd Jan, 2018:
This has been published on 21st Jan and says it is an accident from 22nd Jan 2018. When did this actually happen I wonder. I hope I am understanding this right.

Name:  tbhp upload.png
Views: 6374
Size:  19.5 KB
navsjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 14:52   #25521
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed another bike crash today en route to office. The first was last week.

A truck had broken down in the middle, and traffic had been held up. So naturally once your vehicle hets away from it, you will want to gain a bit of speed.

Now there's a biggish speed breaker ahead and I am slowing down, when I glance to the left to see a scooter rider gunning for it. Just as I am thinking of the rider accelerating hard and then probably braking hard for the speed breaker, the rider just crashes hard. Helmet is flung away, scooter is lying on its side, the rider is on the ground and his wristwatch has come undone and sprawled out behind the spinning rear wheel of the scooter.

No major injuries, thankfully, and no following trucks to crush him under.

Stupid fellow.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:18   #25522
BHPian

Quote:
(Video says "on 22nd Jan, 2018" but that might be incorrect):
I was coming to Delhi from Chandigarh today and at around 8:45 I was at this point of accident in Karnal over an overbridge. Many vehicles had collided one after other and around 5-7 people were rumoured to be dead. Already the clearing up work was going on by Highway Patrol and Police.

I was wondering how lucky was I, as I could have been involved in this fatal accident, had I left Chandigarh as my usual time of 4 am. Today I left at 6:30 am.
Most of the part of the highway was covered in dense fog and this could be the reason for this accident as well.

It was a real turn-off to hear so many people losing the lives due to fog.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd January 2018 at 17:47. Reason: Please avoid Youtube links while quoting. Helps with readability of the post. Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:09   #25523
BHPian

Quote:
(Video says "on 22nd Jan, 2018" but that might be incorrect):
This is definitely from today morning. A colleague of mine travelled from Ambala to Delhi today morning and he had to go from the by lane underneath the flyover due to the pile up. I showed him this video and he could identify the cars from his mornings journey. The pile up happened somewhere between Panipat and Karnal tolls.

The date of upload is showing as 21st Jan may be due to youtube servers residing in US.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:03   #25524
Senior - BHPian

The road should seriously be closed of if there is heavy fog like this. If flights can be delayed and rerouted why can't a road be closed. I would hate if the reason to keep it open is losses. Its better to charge Rs 5 more during favorable conditions than loss to lives and property.
The Vento is in such a horrible condition. Dread to think of what would have happened to the occupants.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 22nd January 2018 at 17:06.
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:20   #25525
Distinguished - BHPian

When visibility is down to 40 feet ahead of you then good sense dictates you drive slowly - very very slowly. Unfortunately many drivers in our country drive with their egos and misplaced male pride on their sleeves. It is common in North India to see folks clipping at 60 to 80 kmph on a dark foggy morning assuming that 'stuff' happens to others and not to themselves. Some drive like that out of a fear of embarrassment and shame of what others might think of their mardani (machismo) and still some others simply do not know the laws of physics and line of sight. Many are taxis with a revenue target in mind or passengers who egg them on. I do not know what it will take to train India's ~100 million drivers. We should expect to see such pile ups and loss of life and limb for many more years.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:22   #25526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The road should seriously be closed of if there is heavy fog like this. If flights can be delayed and rerouted why can't a road be closed. I would hate if the reason to keep it open is losses. Its better to charge Rs 5 more during favorable conditions than loss to lives and property.
The Vento is in such a horrible condition. Dread to think of what would have happened to the occupants.
I have been using this road since year 2013 and , the back lights of Haryana Roadways bus and almost all trucks are in shamefully low on brightness. Even an Alto or Pulsar back light will defeat these big trucks and buses.
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:33   #25527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post

It was a real turn-off to hear so many people losing the lives due to fog.
It happened on 17th Jan, as my friend witnessed it.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:13   #25528
Distinguished - BHPian

Biker beaten to death, by Police civic volunteers, for not wearing a helmet

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nati...t-1759590.html
Quote:
Residents of Madhyamgram town in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal vandalised the local police station and blockaded traffic on National Highway 34 between Indo-Bangladesh border and Kolkata on Saturday after two civic volunteers of the state police allegedly beat a motorbike rider to death for refusing to pay a hefty sum as fine for not wearing helmet. The civic volunteers hid in a public toilet to escape from being lynched by an angry mob. Sources revealed that the accused slipped through the window of the toilet and are still at large. A large contingent of Rapid Action Force and additional police led by senior officers were deployed in Madhyamgram to bring back peace in the area.

The incident occurred when 40-year-old Soumen Debnath was stopped by two civic volunteers at Madhyamgram Chowmatha on Saturday morning for not wearing a helmet. The civic volunteers allegedly demanded a hefty sum of money which Debnath, a businessman by profession, refused to pay.
Sources revealed that the two civic volunteers started beating up Debnath on the chest until he fell on the ground. The accused then fled the spot and hid in a public toilet. The local passersby admitted the victim to Madhyamgram rural hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Locals alleged that the civic volunteers have been arbitrarily demanding hefty sums of money from truck-drivers, auto-rickshaw drivers and two-wheeler riders for any violation of the traffic rules but did not give them any receipts when demanded.

“The government rate of fine for not wearing a helmet is Rs 100 and that the money needs to be paid in bank and not to the traffic police. But, the civic volunteers never accept money lesser than Rs 500 for any violation,” said a protester Bikram Mondal. “Who has given them the right to beat up defaulters? We want immediate arrest of the accused civic volunteers,” said another protester Rajesh Das.
Moderators - not sure which thread to put this into. Please re-locate as necessary. Thank you.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd January 2018 at 20:15.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 00:29   #25529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nati...t-1759590.html

Moderators - not sure which thread to put this into. Please re-locate as necessary. Thank you.
Some of these volunteers are really a menace. In Sector V, College More area some of them used to use plastic pipes and bang the buses to move them quickly when the signal turns green. Once I was the first car. It was a long signal so I switched off the ignition. I generally when starting the car, switch on the ignition and wait for 2-3 secs before starting the car, to get the fuel pump start up. It wasn't even a second that the signal turned green and then bang on the car, and then another one. I just lost it , got down and slap across his face. I must have hit him pretty hard since he got stunned and fell down. I immediately apologized and pulled him up. A sergeant was there nearby who saw the incident. To my surprise he came up and told me not to worry and to leave. I could see him then scold the volunteer, while passerby people in cars and pedestrians saying 'besh hoyeche' (serves him right).

It takes a lot for me to get angry, but something happens to the car and I lose it. However, it was a lesson to me as well to start controlling my temper even more.
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:36   #25530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Another life lost, for not wearing a helmet.

Ironical and almost funny, had it not been so sad.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed