Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 01:10   #31156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
... Locals do well in rescuing the passengers.
Nobody gets the idea to tie the rope to anything. Maybe the driver was just too scared to do anything but hang on, which I guess I can understand, but I think that if it was me I'd try to get it tied to the steering wheel. I emphasise think, because I honestly don't know how much I'd panic, and whether fear would blind me to this is now a boat
Old 21st July 2020, 15:42   #31157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Dzire apparently 'slipped' on wet, muddy roads. Don't have any more details.
The water appears shallow and car is close to the banks of this river. Locals do well in rescuing the passengers. Doesn't look like there were any casualties.
As per local news, two persons were in the car and both were rescued. People blamed bad condition of the road as the cause of the accident. The photo below should give an idea on road condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-db.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 16:16   #31158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
People blamed bad condition of the road as the cause of the accident.
It looks a mess... They should have driven accordingly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 18:01   #31159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It looks a mess... They should have driven accordingly.
Absolutely. Unless, of course. it was a bad patch which came up upon them without warning. Don't think so, though.
earthian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 00:12   #31160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Tragic accident from Hisar.
It does not look like the youth fell on the ground by himself. In the first 3 secs of the video you can notice that the PCR is swerving from the left (almost edge) of the road towards the middle which indicates that the jeep must have hit the bike.

It is also quoted in the same article at the end -
Quote:
The CCTV footage, however, showed the PCR chasing and hitting the youth from behind.
And police have rightly booked them under sections for murder.
Quote:
After the dharna by the family of the youth, DSP Hansi Dharambir Singh informed that the police have booked three cops under murder charges under Section 302 of the IPC and also imposed sections of SC/ST Act and started investigation.
drsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:24   #31161
Senior - BHPian

A comedy of errors? Four bikes tumble in a few seconds somewhere in Karnataka.

All survived with mild injuries. It could have been worse if speeds were higher or had a four wheeler joined the fray.
BenjiRoss is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:36   #31162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
It does not look like the youth fell on the ground by himself. In the first 3 secs of the video you can notice that the PCR is swerving from the left (almost edge) of the road towards the middle which indicates that the jeep must have hit the bike.

It is also quoted in the same article at the end -

And police have rightly booked them under sections for murder.

It is indeed a very tragic incident. But one wonders why was he being chased? If he was being chased why didn't he stop?

I have seen many people running away from cops when being asked to stop most of them are doing it to avoid a challan. But what if one of them is a dreaded criminal? It is the duty of everyone to stop when asked to by the cops. If you decide to run leading to a chase by the cops you are asking for trouble.

There was a video of a tragic accident which happened at Carter Road, Bandra, Mumbai. In this case a biker rammed into a cop at high speed trying to flee at a check post. The cop was badly injured.

Cops are no saints but neither are the people trying to flee.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:55   #31163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A comedy of errors?
All survived with mild injuries. It could have been worse if speeds were higher or had a four wheeler joined the fray.
The main fault lies with the primary bike who changed his mind to take a u turn. The bike on his left couldn't spot him on time. The other two were a little guilty of speeding without looking.
Old 23rd July 2020, 15:52   #31164
BHPian

Quote:
What's with all these cars falling into water recently. One more incident in Dibrugarh in Assam. The Dzire apparently 'slipped' on wet, muddy roads. Don't have any more details.
The water appears shallow and car is close to the banks of this river. Locals do well in rescuing the passengers. Doesn't look like there were any casualties.
I'm honestly surprised to see the car merrily floating away like a boat!!
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:21   #31165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
It is indeed a very tragic incident. But one wonders why was he being chased? If he was being chased why didn't he stop?
I'm sorry but I take the stand of "innocent until proven guilty" and although overall I would say my interactions with the police have been good, I can assure you there have been several times where I simply dreaded having an interaction with the cops.

My friends and I have been harassed by cops for "loitering in the night" when we were walking to my car parked right outside my friend's house with the aircon, lights and engine running.

I have been harassed for honking at a cop to get him to yield the fast lane when he was slowing down movement.

I have been fined for random things unnecessarily

These are all instances where the police have behaved unfairly and thus I felt it to be a waste of my time to have interacted with them. Whatever it is, nothing warrants such rash behavior on their part. This is why abroad you have courses in high speed apprehension tactics.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:43   #31166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A comedy of errors? Four bikes tumble in a few seconds somewhere in Karnataka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The main fault lies with the primary bike .... The other two were a little guilty of speeding without looking.
It is a classic case where my theory fits. It is that two-wheelers consider themselves as pedestrians, able to stop, turn, do anything in a moment. So they don't care how close they get or who goes where. And they don't expect anthing to actually hurt. I don't think there was much speed in this case, though plenty of not looking/thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
It does seem to be staying afloat for quite a long time, but it absolutely will sink. Just, nowhere near waterproof! Yes, most of the videos we see show the vehicle sinking scarily fast.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:13   #31167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Simple logic. It's a Maruti. They make the lightest cars you can get your hands on. This is the best proof of that fact. Not getting into if that's good or bad or else we'll have a couple of pages of "build quality" discussion which is the most boring.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Maruti model lighter than even the Tata Nano!
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:39   #31168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Simple logic. It's a Maruti. They make the lightest cars you can get your hands on.
So you're saying that a ton and some heavy car will float because of the lightness of build quality?
And this couldn't be because of the seals in the door and the firewall restricting water inflow into the cabin, retaining air, and offering buoyancy for a longer period? I'd love to see if a polo driving into a lake will end up driving straight on the bed with wheels spinning maybe just drive into the water and out the other side, because of its heavy build quality. (attempted humour).

Or maybe your comment was just sarcasm?
mayankk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:58   #31169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Maruti model lighter than even the Tata Nano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Jokes apart, we cannot blame any manufacturers, cars got heavier(relatively) to meet stringent crash regulations. There are many Asian/SE Asian specific models that can't be marketed in the west simply because it will fail to qualify for safety. Enforcement is the key.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:03   #31170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So you're saying that a ton and some heavy car will float because of the lightness of build quality?
And this couldn't be because of the seals in the door and the firewall restricting water inflow into the cabin, retaining air, and offering buoyancy for a longer period? I'd love to see if a polo driving into a lake will end up driving straight on the bed with wheels spinning maybe just drive into the water and out the other side, because of its heavy build quality. (attempted humour).

I never said it will just float to glory. I'm saying that the WEIGHT of the car is lighter than most. In it class, at least. I was talking about the weight. Build quality of that car is not worth spending a single sentence on. Neither am I referring to it. Though it may be relative.

That said, the seals and firewall etc you're saying about is present in all the cars and not just the Dzire here. Of course those are factors but at the time of the post I quoted there was a discussion about how comparatively the Dzire appeared to float comparatively more than other cars before tanking. It will tank eventually, of course, as we all know.

I'm not a fan of the said brand so you might say I was sounding sarcastic though not intentionally. It might have sounded so.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th July 2020 at 11:31. Reason: desire / dezire = Dzire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks