Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 23:43   #36781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Midnight accident between bus and an ‘aeroplane’ at Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I got the idea that it happened at night. Did I make that up?
Yes, happened midnight at around 1 am.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 07:55   #36782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ultimately we usually have to blame the driver, but... I bet that protruding parts of that load were not lit properly.
This decommissioned aircraft being transported to Hyderabad is creating quite a lot of chaos on Kerala's roads. Today I see that the truck carrying the fuselage got stuck on a bridge near Chavara on NH 66.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...ra-bridge.html

(Report is in Malayalam, but the photo tells the whole story).
binand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:24   #36783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Very soon KSRTC will run short of buses as you see them getting involved in an accident every other day. They seem to be on receiving end for a quite a lot incidents in the recent past. Most of the Scania buses are in garage. Half of the SWIFT series have met with accidents by now. The remaining of the ordinary ones either go off the road or something comes and hits them.
Not to mention the private buses as well and especially if they do this.

Result of road rage
naveen.raju is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:40   #36784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This decommissioned aircraft being transported to Hyderabad is creating quite a lot of chaos on Kerala's roads. Today I see that the truck carrying the fuselage got stuck on a bridge near Chavara on NH 66.
Wait a second. Who is that "genius" who thought let's transport such a large cargo via Kerala's highways??

The origin as I understand was Trivandrum and the destination being Hyderabad. Isn't the Trivandrum - Tirunelveli - Salem - Bangalore - Hyderabad route the better option to transport something like this?

How the hell did this reach Chavara?

And wouldn't they do a pilot run and measure all clearances for such a transport. How did they discover that "oh.. we are stuck" after getting into that situation? Unbelievable. Even a 10 year old could have planned this better using common sense.
krishnakumar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:00   #36785
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Ertiga Stunt in Gurugram kills a 50 year old man, 7 drunk youths arrested:

Link: https://www.ndtv.com/gurgaon-news/vi...1-dead-3499954
CarNerd is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:47   #36786
BHPian

Nexon toppled in Maharashtra, all occupants survived with minor injuries. Watch from 0:50 Classic case of overspeeding and losing control in unfavorable conditions ? You can see in the video, it was quite a dangerous corner to have messed with. Credit goes to the 5 star Nexon for saving them.
Yash390 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:44   #36787
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
And wouldn't they do a pilot run and measure all clearances for such a transport. How did they discover that "oh.. we are stuck" after getting into that situation?
People buying and transporting these are scrap metal buyers, do you think they will spend money doing 'trial runs', 'measure clearances' etc ? I am sure the run through KL roads until the walayar border (instead of taking the tirunelveli route) is to save toll charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
Nexon toppled in Maharashtra, all occupants survived with minor injuries. Watch from 0:50
We keep seeing so many cases of Nexon toppling. And always, the 5-star rating gets the glory. Why are nexons overturning so much? Isn't that the bigger safety issue? Himalayan ground clearance and not commensurate enough track width - I think it's a core design issue. All cars from all brands get driven rashly - hatchbacks, sedans, SUVs, pseudo-SUVs, everything. Yet, the frequency distribution of 'nexon toppled' amongst social media stories/videos/pics of toppled cars is disproportionately high.

Mod Note - Please use the MultiQuote function. Proofread before posting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th November 2022 at 19:31. Reason: back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts. Spell.
venkyhere is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 19:02   #36788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
We keep seeing so many cases of Nexon toppling. And always the 5-star rating gets the glory. Why are nexons overturning so much ? isn't that the bigger safery issue ? himalayan ground clearance and not commensurate enough track width - I think it's a core design issue. All cars from all brands get driven rashly - hatchbacks, sedans, SUVs, pseudo-SUVs, everything. Yet, the frequency distribution of 'nexon toppled' amongst social media stories/videos/pics of toppled cars, is disproportionately high
I agree, every week I hear about a Nexon toppled somewhere. Even with ESP, how are so many toppling?
ronford is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 08:38   #36789
BHPian

While we keep talking about defensive driving and safe driving, should not there be a rule to discourage people to install Android head units on their cars? These Android units can play YouTube videos and I've often seen people watching YouTube videos while driving. Why are such Android systems on sale? Why is it even being allowed? They're not only putting themselves in danger, but others on road too.

My son asked me to install one too which can play videos as he is a hyperactive kid and can't sit in the car idle. He needs distractions, ways to keep him occupied. I explained him that it is dangerous and can cause accidents as driver can get distracted looking at videos, even though it is for few seconds. Whenever we are on long road trips, we make sure to carry iPad or his favourite books etc. to keep him occupied.

Please let me know if installing such Android head units is even legal? Maybe they're banned, but I'm not aware of. But the cases I see on road and people using these systems, make me believe that there is no such rule against them and they're completely legit. Even though there are sensible people on road, there are others who are not as sensible and can hit you from behind due to sheer distraction. While we are practicing safe and defensive driving, there will always someone who will be distracted and may put you in danger. Please shed some light and views on this.

Last edited by Beingtraveler : 9th November 2022 at 08:47.
Beingtraveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 08:47   #36790
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Spotted this accident yesterday afternoon near HAL market, Bengaluru. This height barrier should have been visible, not sure how the driver missed it.
The driver, even if knows there is a barrier and cannot pass through, will still try to take a chance to avoid alternate route. The idea is to save time not life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Not to mention the private buses as well and especially if they do this.

Result of road rage
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=djycDdzErK8
Good that the passengers are safe.

Every other day this is a common occurrence in Kerala. It may be because of ego or would have overtaken it or time difference wouldn't have been maintained etc. Moreover, the private bus driver/conductors, now a days, are young lads (~25 yrs) where ego sits on their nose ready to jump before one realizes.

The RTO will ban them for 3m and the owner will re-instate the driver back in 3 days as the bus owner community is quite influential

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th November 2022 at 09:22. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 09:19   #36791
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Speeding Innova with 14 people hit a pole due to damaged road, one 16 year old boy died.
Why is overspeeding always the case with Innovas and Cretas?

If I see 10 Innovas and 10 Cretas on the road, only 3 out of 10 would be driven at sane speeds and that is on a good day.

I remember back in September, minding my own business, sticking behind a dumper in the XUV and moving along.
This Creta (less ugly 1st gen) shows up and endlessly honks and flashes his high beams.
Overtakes me and the dumper dangerously and makes an X1 nearly run off the road. This was a single lane road near Hebri which doesn't go straight for more than 200m

Gives me the finger after overtaking because I wasn't fast enough or didn't put lives at risk.

And Innovas? Let's just say that on a highway, a 550i would have a hard time catching up.
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:16   #36792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Why is overspeeding always the case with Innovas and Cretas?
Frankly all cars overspeed, I see very less cars that are driven sanely.

You notice Innovas, because they outnumber others on highways and that they are driven without the care for the blind spots their huge 4800 mm x 1830 mm size have.

I commute on the NH daily and an aggressively driven Innova is always more scary than a Brezza or i20 driven the same way.

Last edited by narayans80 : 9th November 2022 at 10:18.
narayans80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:17   #36793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
We keep seeing so many cases of Nexon toppling. And always, the 5-star rating gets the glory. Why are nexons overturning so much? Isn't that the bigger safety issue? Himalayan ground clearance and not commensurate enough track width - I think it's a core design issue. All cars from all brands get driven rashly
It's the drivers mentality that is at fault. Once they get a powerful car, most of them assume they are immune to everything that the road throws at them. Most of the accidents indicate drivers fault from misreading of the road. Driving is an art and learning defensive driving is paramount. Overspeeding on straight roads should also be avoided. God knows what surprises the road will throw at you.

I assume our highway roads and the curvatures they take are not assessed for the speeds that modern vehicles can handle. They are able to carry the overloading part as they do not rip off like the city roads. I mean do they even provide banking on the curves. Even if speed limits (Scarce, but still) are mentioned I am not sure if anyone considers them.

On NHAI's part:: Most of the intersections are not marked / illuminated properly. Drivers and people are left to fend for themselves. Infrastructure creation does not take into consideration the holistic needs of the towns and villages around the highway. They fail to provide multiple crossing points as in subways, etc. So people take the shortest route to cross the roads. The most irritating sight is barricades on highway. I thought it was only in the Bangalore ~ Mysore highway but its pretty much the same every where. Poor planning !!!
pugram is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:47   #36794
Senior - BHPian

OOUCH !! EQS 580 outside Worli Police Station. Sad to see such brand new cars destroyed.

Its the same car featured in TBHP Review I guess.

Pics received on WhatsApp.
Attached Images

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 9th November 2022 at 10:54.
RM Motorsports is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:57   #36795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingtraveler View Post

Please let me know if installing such Android head units is even legal? Maybe they're banned, but I'm not aware of. But the cases I see on road and people using these systems, make me believe that there is no such rule against them and they're completely legit.
Even if they are legit, we will have our own moral compass which should direct us from within. As of now, there may not be ban on touchscreens. But, who knows , after a sensational accident, new laws maybe made. We are all grown ups and we should know the difference between what is right and wrong. If such android head unit is a 'want' for watching videos, avoid it. On other hand, if you can restrain yourself from playing videos but 'need' other functions that it provides then go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingtraveler View Post
Even though there are sensible people on road, there are others who are not as sensible and can hit you from behind due to sheer distraction. While we are practicing safe and defensive driving, there will always someone who will be distracted and may put you in danger. Please shed some light and views on this.
We have more of senseless people than sensible drivers on roads in our country. They may do the wrong but if we are driving the right way , risk can be minimized.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks