Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 22:22   #13306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post

The reason for the traffic jam.

Found this on the same facebook link.
Looks like the crumple zones of Verna did the job. Not even a cracked windshield.
Old 2nd June 2013, 00:00   #13307
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Looks like the crumple zones of Verna did the job. Not even a cracked windshield.
Also the people in the car were wearing seatbelts as there are no head impact marks on the windshield.
Old 2nd June 2013, 00:13   #13308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Disclaimer: I know the 18-21 age group might be frustrated seeing my reply and are likely to start a big line of arguments but I can't help there.
I've been 18 for just under two weeks now and I completely agree with you. I've lost more than a few friends and acquaintances to stupid driving styles. Why? Cause they were inexperienced and were gifted powerful bikes and cars on their eighteenth birthdays, even before they got their Learners' License.
I've been scared to death seeing my other friends ride and I've taken a vow to ride and drive responsibly, after all its much too early for me to lose my life trying to impress friends or some chick.
AbelAFC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:27   #13309
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Duster involved in accident on Ooty ghat section, just about 5-8 kms before Ooty last Sunday. Was in a bad shape and blocking the traffic one-way, I hope all occupants are safe, it was lying on wrong direction of traffic so looked to be a overtake maneuver gone wrong!
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:18   #13310
BHPian

Those were the dreams.

And then there were those shattered dreams among them.

And then among the shattered ones, they were still among the dreams only.

Sorry for the delay in uploading the files. This happened on 15 May and I was a bit busier. However, there were no causalities and the brand new cars were on their way to showrooms in Chikmagalur (in Karnataka). I captured this unfortunate incident between Belur and Hassan.

This was the carrier which carried the cars including a 800, Alto 800, Wagon R, and Swift Dzire. The carrier slipped over a small steep curve, not accident worthy at all. My guess is that it may rained the previous night and it was just negligence on part of the driver.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-01_the_wrecker.jpg

Here is the good old 800, the most wrecked of them all. Not really sure if this is because of the negligent placement of the car in the carrier or if the car itself is not really too secure. This probably answers the queries about the 800 sales.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-02_800.jpg

A more closer view at the 800.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03_800_closer.jpg

The next two pictures of the new Alto 800.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-04_alto.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05_alto.jpg

And then it becomes Whacked R.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06_whackedr_front.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-07_whackedr_side.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08_whackedr_back.jpg

Finally, the partly damaged Dzire.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09_swift_not_desired.jpg
PNTLovesNano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:24   #13311
Senior - BHPian

Spotted at Frazer town Police station.
Looks like it struck some foundation or pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img634.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:32   #13312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I captured this unfortunate incident between Belur and Hassan.
I have seen few accidents in that curve. Appears to be dangerous one.

During one of our group rides, one of the rider fell due to skidding. Luckily he was wearing all the rider gear and he walked out with very minor scratches. But his bike took some bad impact.
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:33   #13313
Distinguished - BHPian

This was on Pune-Bangalore road just before Davanagere around 3pm today

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic2.jpg

Looked like there were no fatalities.
There was a break in the median and the truck fellow couldn't wait I guess

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2013 at 14:37. Reason: Correcting Picture Orientation
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:26   #13314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The world's insurance companies know better.

India has not yet caught up with the idea of rating insurance according to the age, experience and record of the driver. When it does, it will become yet another country in which it will be almost impossible for youngsters to get on the road unless they are well off. Whilst I sympathise with the youth, this is not just an invention of the insurance companies, it is a reflection of the facts that they see in their claims. Young and/or inexperienced drivers cost them a lot of money.
I don't know what the companies know/think. I still think its totally unfair to base such things on age.

I started driving very early and I dare say I was always a better driver than my pop (by the time I was 18... not when very young of course) and a lot of elders. Up Till now, my pop has bashed up the car multiple times. Me never. Not even my bike.

After driving so much, I feel 2 categories of people are the riskiest and even irritating on the road - women and old men. Now I really don't want to start an argument with proponents or members of either group, but its my opinion and experience, so I will say it. Others are more than free to disagree, based on their experiences. And I'm not saying every member of any group is a terrible driver. I'v known some old men to be awesome drivers too. But its rare. Similarly, it might be that many in the whereabouts of 18 may be risky on the roads... but to maybe ban 18 year olds on the roads (or make it more difficult for them, by increasing premiums or whatever) would have been grossly unfair to me when I was 18 (and I am sure many other 18 year olds out there who do ride "well".
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 07:39   #13315
Distinguished - BHPian

Another tragic hit-and-run case in Bangalore.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-336252_thump.jpg

Quote:
Documents found in the car showed the registration number as KA 51/TR 324, indicating that it was purchased from an agency registered under the Electronics city RTO
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...eaves-one.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd June 2013 at 07:41.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:13   #13316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Most of the times, we talk about accidents and here is a good one!
There is still goodness around us
Thanks for that link... it ray of hope for people who have given up on society!
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:54   #13317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I captured this unfortunate incident between Belur and Hassan.
This is a famous accident spot when driving from Hassan to Belur. You approach this steep right hander soon after a speedy descent and the curve never seems to end. For a first time driver, this can result in serious judgmental error (if doing speeds in excess of 80s) just like the infamous curve on Tawandi Ghats on NH4 (which has rumblers to warn you now).

A few of my college friends toppled a Zen here even in those days when this road was not in best of its shape. Later after a few months, a Electrical shop owner from Belur flipped over his Tempo Trax and hit a tree on the left had side and got killed instantly.

Though Belur-Hassan road is excellent in terms of road surface and banking, there are at least 3-4 such dangerous spots the driver needs to be aware of.

EDIT: This section is definitely accident worthy. This is THE reason you have median there which otherwise is not required on a single carriageway road. You may have also noticed similar medians further ahead after Hagare village till Belur too. It may look like an easy curve when you are doing 60kmph in traffic but with no traffic, this is a serious concern at higher speeds without doubts.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-kalkere.jpg

Here is a reference for another accident on a similar curve nearing Sankenahalli (7kms before Belur) where I was a co-passenger.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post3060326

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd June 2013 at 12:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:05   #13318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't know what the companies know/think. I still think its totally unfair to base such things on age.
But they know what they think, and why. They have actuaries working on vast amounts of data, whereas your view is based on your experience of two people: yourself and your father. Of course, there are excellent young drivers, and of course, there are not-so-good older ones, but any analysis will show that youth and/or inexperience is a lethal combination on the roads.

Any self-respecting, decent, young driver, like you, will make up their minds not to be a part of those statistics --- unfortunately, the majority, world wide, do not.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:11   #13319
BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I was driving back from Mumbai to Pune on Sunday noon. Saw an accident near last toll both towards Pune. Ford fiesta car was badly damaged. Any one saw that accident.

Please be very careful when you are driving on the expressway. In Kamshet tunnel I was driving on the last lane with 80/85 Kmph, one white Swift Dzire(MH-34...number ) just missed me by inches from the back side. He was so hurry <may be he was driving above 120kmph in the tunnel>. He was changing lane frequently without indicator.

God knows if he really had some urgency of driving like a maniac. God bless him.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:17   #13320
BHPian

i was watching a show in NGC/Discovery where they were interviewing a driver who drives thru a dangerous road in Brazil and the Driver told a beautiful statement about getting involved in a accident.

" what has not happened in last ten years with you driving on the same road can happen in ten seconds"

so "drive safe and be safe"
tht'snotME is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks