Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 09:52   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW is the figure of 30k correct for adding 2 airbags to an entry level car? As far as I remember the GNCAP chief mentioned something like 3k for a single airbag on a popular TV show. How much truth is in that?
Old 12th November 2014, 10:41   #557
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW is the figure of 30k correct for adding 2 airbags to an entry level car? As far as I remember the GNCAP chief mentioned something like 3k for a single airbag on a popular TV show. How much truth is in that?
Even high-end tyres wont cost more than 800INR a piece, but what price do we pay for them? this is similar
Old 12th November 2014, 12:40   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Even high-end tyres wont cost more than 800INR a piece, but what price do we pay for them? this is similar
No but for the Maruti Chief to say on record that it will increase cost by approximately 30k and hence people will continue using 2 wheelers is outright wrong and false right?
Old 12th November 2014, 12:45   #559
BHPian

I read it that Global NCAp has asked Nissan to stop selling Datsun Go.
http://autoportal.com/news/global-nc...ndia-2394.html

If the news is any bit true, it is shame for such a reputed brand. The report says that the safety conditions is so pathetic taht even airbags won't help in case of accident.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:51   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No but for the Maruti Chief to say on record that it will increase cost by approximately 30k and hence people will continue using 2 wheelers is outright wrong and false right?
The NCAP rep was saying it's about $60, but I don't remember if that is per airbag or for two.

Scorpio's rep was saying adding Airbags and ABS will push up the cost by about 20k.

Maruti chief seems to be saying 30k only for airbags and another 10k for ABS. No mention of how much for better structure

Take your pick.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:12   #561
BHPian

Currently, most ABS and Airbag kits are imported. Hence, the ABS module costs more than 15k. In addition to that are wheel speed sensors and other electronics, which by overall costs more than 25k in all. That's what most manufacturers charge for optional ABS. Of course, there are margins, duties etc. Once production is localized, we can expect cheaper spares as well as cheaper ABS variants.
Airbags definitely don't cost that much as the maruti chief is saying. Its the other way around.We must be able to get the ABS system at 15K and two airbags at 5 K ,if made in India.ABS +EBD will cost more.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:17   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti's chief's reaction:

Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...-maruti-chief/

"if carmakers incorporate such features in even entry-level cars, obviously the price would go up, which would lead consumers to opt for two-wheelers, which would be more unsafe"

"Going by current cost estimates, adding two front airbags to an entry-level and the country’s top-selling car like the Alto 800 would add about R30,000 to the starting price of R2.4 lakh. Further, adding an anti-lock braking system, which reduces braking distances especially in wet conditions, will further push the price up by about R10,000."

"Unlike in EU countries where 50% road fatalities are inside cars, in India it is only 16%

There could be a commercial angle in pushing such safety technologies

Such measures can improve road safety by only 3-4%

Features like airbags are offered in higher-end cars".

I think he has gone through this thread before this interview

All that sounds just like the kind of excuses that I hear from bad electricians, plumbers, etc as to why they did some cheap kludge botch job. This sort of talk, for me, does even more harm to the Maruti image than the test results did.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 14:20   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

"if carmakers incorporate such features in even entry-level cars, obviously the price would go up, which would lead consumers to opt for two-wheelers, which would be more unsafe"

"Going by current cost estimates, adding two front airbags to an entry-level and the country’s top-selling car like the Alto 800 would add about R30,000 to the starting price of R2.4 lakh. Further, adding an anti-lock braking system, which reduces braking distances especially in wet conditions, will further push the price up by about R10,000."
When I had purchased my WagonR VXI with ABS in 2012, there was on-road price difference of around 31k between it and the VXI. As of today, the difference is of 40k. Moreover, mine has dual airbags compared to the model available now. So Maruti chief talking about the cost factors is just not palatable.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 16:26   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All that sounds just like the kind of excuses that I hear from bad electricians, plumbers, etc as to why they did some cheap kludge botch job. This sort of talk, for me, does even more harm to the Maruti image than the test results did.
Very true. Infact the quoted comment below is just hilarious. Fitting response from the Chairman of country’s largest car manufacturer!
Quote:
There could be a commercial angle in pushing such safety technologies.

Features like airbags are offered in higher-end cars

The real commercial angle is to compromise on safety aspects to increase profit!
Old 12th November 2014, 17:46   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"Unlike in EU countries where 50% road fatalities are inside cars, in India it is only 16%

There could be a commercial angle in pushing such safety technologies

Such measures can improve road safety by only 3-4%

Features like airbags are offered in higher-end cars".

I think he has gone through this thread before this interview
RC Bhargava is behaving more like a bureaucrat or a high flying politician than a responsible head of leading manufacturer. He should be welcoming the move of making safety measures mandatory now instead of waiting for fatality percentage in car accidents to rise to European levels.

This is a perfect example of the kind of illogical reasoning a corporate can give to keep his profits high. I can not understand why do people oppose any move which is for common good. I guess any dip in sales will have direct impact in his annual bonus.
Old 12th November 2014, 21:48   #566
BHPian

As per the Maruti Chief - "There could be a commercial angle in pushing such safety technologies"

What other angle is he talking from pushing cars without safety features claiming that they are safer than 2 wheelers! I say I like the commercial angle of the guy offering safety atleast than the one giving out such lame excuses.

And the costs of airbags and ABS as quoted by him does not sound realistic. Have read from multiple sources that the cost of manufacturing of these safety features are alarmingly low. I think it was even mentioned in Amir's road safety episode of Satyamevajayate(?)

Such things coming from one of the top persons of the best selling car company in the country... Way to go!
Old 12th November 2014, 22:51   #567
BHPian

So cars have zero ncap, so what seat belts are fitted but people dont use them, mirrors fitted people dont use them, talk on the mobile (cars and bikes) children running round loose inside the car (today driver had a 2 year old on his lap on the NH17 in Goa) so no NCAP, SO WHAT!!!!
People drive like they are the only car on the road, so will ABS, airbags and NCAP save them when they come in front of a truck with no lights, over loaded and their car is overtaking round a blind bend going up hill crossing double white lines, NCAP 5 star rating will not save them so why beef about Indian cars not having it.
The best way to save your life is to drive as if you have no brakes and and a 6 inch steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel. people thing ok ABS, air bags & NCAP 5 Star rating I can drive like the wind and I will live to talk about it!!

But its rant over

Ken
KEN-RAND is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 01:38   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People drive like they are the only car on the road, so will ABS, airbags and NCAP save them when they come in front of a truck with no lights, over loaded and their car is overtaking round a blind bend going up hill crossing double white lines, NCAP 5 star rating will not save them
Actually, yes, it might.

Your frustration is shared by many of us, but, in these circumstances, it is better to make the car itself as safe is as practical.
Quote:
The best way to save your life is to drive as if you have no brakes and and a 6 inch steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel. people thing ok ABS, air bags & NCAP 5 Star rating I can drive like the wind and I will live to talk about it!!
Yes, but this only works if they know how dangerous the vehicle they are driving is. And they don't --- or else they would be driving in the way that you suggest right now.

And, bottom line is, none of what you say there is good reason to let the manufacturers off the hook.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th November 2014 at 01:39.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 02:13   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Swift, Datsun Go fail Global NCAP tests too...

With all the talk about ABS and Airbags, MSIL has just launched yet another horrendous limited edition Swift http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-swi...nveiled-692514. I guess they believe people will pay 40-50k extra for a paint job but not for ABS/Airbags. Unfortunately, they are right as THEY feel a car even if its a tin can is still safer than a two wheeler for us.

This argument may hold true for the basic Alto 800 but I dont know how the same logic can be applied to their so called premium tin can hatchback

Last edited by robimahanta : 13th November 2014 at 02:16.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 08:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
With all the talk about ABS and Airbags, MSIL has just launched yet another horrendous limited edition Swift http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-swi...nveiled-692514. I guess they believe people will pay 40-50k extra for a paint job but not for ABS/Airbags. Unfortunately, they are right as THEY feel a car even if its a tin can is still safer than a two wheeler for us.

This argument may hold true for the basic Alto 800 but I dont know how the same logic can be applied to their so called premium tin can hatchback
Looks ugly for sure. Glad that they would not be retaining the headphone.

They are taking a cue from the modders, where they paint the bonnet black and call it sporty.

Maruti should stop these mod-jobs and spend their efforts on making the car safer.

But this stupid edition also would be sold out in a second.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks