Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 07:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Related Video with more images from the Range Rover Crash. From few pictures it is evident that the RR has hit the booth lane divider and then crashed out of the fencing and landed where it is.

Before hitting the booth lane divider, I guess there are atleast a couple of speed breakers.

Is it a possibility that he hit the speed breakers at a very high speed, the car was launched into the air and that was the end of all control on the vehicle?

We cannot blame the road for every accident. There are 80 kmph speed limit boards on this road. People ignore it. I guess the mind is already decided that Nice is a test track and hence assumes that nothing can go wrong.

How on earth can someone carry so much speed when the toll booths are a few meters away, unless there was a brake failure?

Nevertheless feel sad for the loss of life. Thank god his 6 year old son and wife are safe.

It could have been worse if the car ploughed through the toll booth. There are atleast 3 staff in every lane.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th March 2019 at 14:12. Reason: Typo
Arjun Reddy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 08:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Before hitting the booth lane divider, I guess there are atleast a couple of speed breakers.
Sorry mate, but this is NICE road that never had any basic design in place when it came to making roads. Their shoddy entry and exits are another example apart from bad lane markings to mislead anyone who drives here for the first time.

This one is a dashcam grab from Monday this week when I was driving back from work and as you can notice, there are no speedbreakers and the very first one you encounter is right at the entrance of the toll booth lane.

You will also notice how there are unscientific protrusions at the beginning of each lane at this booth. This was implemented only an year before.

High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured-pestbooth.jpg

The RR may have tried to enter the very first lane of the booth, jumped over the protrusion at the entrance of the median and fallen on the other side next to the fencing.

High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured-pesitboothmedian.jpg

This video can also be a good example for bad driver in that WagonR who managed to go home 30 seconds early and relieve himself by cutting across me that way

Quote:
Is it a possibility that he hit the speed breakers at a very high speed, the car was launched into the air and that was the end of all control on the vehicle?
From the damages seen in the video that I posted earlier, the car has damaged the median at the toll booth entrance. The speedbreaker is soon after this median begins (you can notice the same in my video too).

Quote:
We cannot blame the road for every accident. There are 80 kmph speed limit boards on this road.
Not blaming the road but if ignorance to follow basic rules when driving is one reason for accidents, the other catalyst is a badly designed road and NICE remains one of them without doubts.

Quote:
How on earth can someone carry so much speed when the toll booths are a few meters away, unless there was a brake failure?
The gradient and a long fast stretch right before the booth can mislead anyone in terms of calculating your approach speeds to this booth. It is very very easy to get misled here!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th March 2019 at 08:48.
paragsachania is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

The potential Range Rover customer qualifies for the Darwin Award. Pity that he took his family and his friend on his cockeyed high-speed test. What would have been a joyous occasion turned into a tragic event just because of his stupidity - he neither grasped his capability nor the vehicle's. Sitting in a high-end vehicle doesn't turn the driver into a physics-defying superman.
msdivy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:34   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Thanks for sharing, Pferdestarke! Moving the Evoque accident posts to a new thread.

Note to dealers = many premium cars come with speed limiters hidden in the MID settings. Time to start using them.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2019 at 09:37.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Note to mods: Please remove the 190kmph part from the initial story. It is an unverified and possibly inflated claim that only sensationalizes a tragic accident.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 11:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quoting myself and sharing my experience of a crash of a TD car when I was a salesperson. It is entirely the responsibility of every individual to keep himself safe. If the customer is driving rashly, politely ask him to stop the car, get down and tell him to call you once the TD is done. There is no reason to endanger yourself.

Secondly, the car is unregistered. Good luck claiming insurance on that. Thats 60+L down the drain. Thanks to Internet, the images are all over and no insurance company will honour the claim even if they manage to get the car registered somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I have two rules that I never strayed away from -
i. I have a habit of belting up always - wherever I sit in the car.
ii. I won’t accompany for a test drive unless the car is insured, or I have a letter signed from the VP / Manager absolving me for any blame - i.e. no TD on unregistered cars.
These two rules came in real handy when a customer crashed the demo Ciaz on the divider. The bumper, RHS headlamp and front right fender was gone. Airbags didn’t deploy but as I was wearing belt, it was ok. I was sitting in the front passenger seat. Customer was driving with his wife at the back - both unbelted. The lady put on the belt after coming to a standstill. Thankfully there was no other traffic or it could have been much worst. Except for a bit of adrenalin rush, all were good. I called the manager and told him. He asked me to narrate the incident and told me to go. The customer initially told that he would buy a new car, but later backed out. The TD car was repaired and I wasn’t blamed. On the other hand, another guy who crashed an unregistered car was penalized a bit from his salary.
blackwasp is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Related Video with more images from the Range Rover Crash.
The video says about tyre burst and shows aluminium rim marks on the road before losing control and hitting the divider. Not sure about how true that is, but in that case it provides a different dimension to the cause of the crash.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 12:10   #23
BANNED

Even the polo GT reached those speeds on nice road. Would have been childs play for the range Rover.
Do people here drive economy boxes and think everyone else does too? Sure this was a fatal accident and highly stupid but cars are fast, people.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th March 2019 at 07:29. Reason: Removed image depicting high speed driving
H_Dogg72 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 12:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Even the polo GT reached those speeds on nice road. Would have been childs play for the range Rover.
Do people here drive economy boxes and think everyone else does too? Sure this was a fatal accident and highly stupid but cars are fast, people.
Here's a random picture.
There are innumerable instances of people doing high speeds on NICE road all across Youtube and Instagram. Utter foolishness.

Doing such insane speeds is one thing. On top of that these idiots go a step further by taking photos and videos of their "great" feats. On second, thoughts maybe these are taken for securing a nomination in the Darwin awards.

Last edited by navin : 27th March 2019 at 16:52. Reason: removed 191 and 200
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 12:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The PES Exit booth at the end of Link Road is located after a super long gradient, quite dangerously. For anyone with a combination of adrenaline rush and absence of common sense, it's very easy to remain oblivious on how fast you are approaching the toll booth and then you brake or panic....
I have been taking this entry/exit daily for the last 3 years. I can totally vouch what you have mentioned above.

I feel this accident is a proper example of this phenomenon.

Its only a miracle that this 2tonne SUV didnt crash into the toll booth full of cars during evening rush hour.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:

This video can also be a good example for bad driver in that WagonR who managed to go home 30 seconds early and relieve himself by cutting across me that way
My first reaction on viewing your video was exactly the same, just goes on to show how people take unnecessary risks to save what they think is a big amount of time and convenience.

With regards to the present scenario, I think this clearly proves that people do not value their own lives nor the lives of their loved ones, what with this fellow who drove without a seat belt and taking a vehicle to extreme speed with family and friends in the vehicle (not to say that you could perform extreme tests when you are all alone, but at least in that case you are taking a decision for your self and not risking others)
AlphaLamb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Secondly, the car is unregistered. Good luck claiming insurance on that. Thats 60+L down the drain. Thanks to Internet, the images are all over and no insurance company will honour the claim even if they manage to get the car registered somehow.
Wouldn't dealer's overall dealership insurance cover it? I asked this once to one of the salesperson who accompanied me in a test drive of a brand new car in a US dealership and he said verbatim - 'Don't worry, it's covered by dealer insurance and it's cost of running the business '.

And it becomes trickier when it comes to third party damages. I doubt any dealer would run test drives without an insurance backup let alone a Jaguar Land Rover one.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 27th March 2019 at 14:09.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Whenever an accident happens, I always see comments coming like roads are unscientific, Road has bad Quality, etc. Somehow, I am never convinced on the logic/comments that come like this.

Are vehicles not commuting on the same roads day in day out? Just count the number of vehicles that cross the same spot every day multiplied by 365 days and what not. And count, how many accidents have occurred at this spot in the last x years ? Is there a trend /Pattern for the accidents that occur at this spot?
We don't have any data to prove that roads are unscientific.

We can NOT infer it is the quality of the road or unscientific construction that has caused the accident BUT can say with confidence, it is something else. And in my view, it is definitely JUST the irresponsibility of the customer.

Even if one is an expert driver, when he /she is driving a new car(I mean, a Car that he has not driven before), it takes time for any one to get used to the car's behavior.

To be more precise, even if the car model is ONE that I own, (example: Fortuner in my case), I would need some time to get used to another Fortuner.

This being the case, how can anyone go with that speed, in a Unknown territory car that is NOT driven so far, and not his own car, on Indian Roads that are not designed for more than 100 KMPH?

And, what was the customer testing with car? Should he not have responsibility that it is a new car and he should not play with it like this?

Is the road capable of handling such high speeds?
Is the car capable to kill at that speed Or still can he escape?
Was he testing the "Kingship" of the customer through the car?
Or was he testing his driving skills ?

Absolutely this was not called for. Unfortunately, the family has to suffer because of one person's irresponsibility.

Last edited by navin : 27th March 2019 at 16:52. Reason: removed 190kmph
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 15:22   #29
BHPian

More details emerge. The person who was driving miraculously survived (due to seatbelts airbags and luck). The deceased was a passenger who allegedly was not wearing his seat-belt and was thrown around when the car toppled.
If true, it is unfortunate that a child had to go through this. Both the SA and the Friend/Driver will have a lot of soul searching to do.

Quote:
Byatarayanapura traffic police, who rushed to the spot, said the car was travelling well beyond the set speed limits. Goutham, a businessman who was driving the Rover, was booked. The car was completely damaged due to the force of the impact, police said.
The deceased is Sagar, a resident of Girinagar who worked with a private firm. His wife Sandhya (28) and son Samarth (6), their family friend Goutham, and showroom staffer Shivakumar were shifted to BGS Hospital, and their condition is said to be stable.
Police said that around 2.30 pm, Goutham took the family to the showroom at Silk Board. They took the Range Rover for at test drive towards NICE Road, and were heading towards Nayanandahalli Junction, when Goutham lost control of the SUV. It hit the divider and went spinning into the air before crashing. NICE Road toll staff alerted Byatarayanapura traffic police and ran to rescue the injured, who were rushed to a private hospital, where Sagar was declared brought dead.
Preliminary investigations show that Shivakumar was sitting next to Goutham and wearing his seat belt, and the air bag opened up immediately. The duo miraculously survived. But Sagar and his family were not wearing seat belts. Sandhya, a homemaker, and Samarth, who is studying in Class 1, suffered fractures.
Gangaramaiah, an eyewitness, said, “The door opened when the car toppled, and Sagar was stuck between the road and the door. He was pulled out from the car when two ambulances rushed to the spot, and they were shifted immediately.” CCTV cameras installed at the nearby toll booth captured the accident.
Source.
Mukund is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 16:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

Someone going fast enough to do that kind of damage wasn't going to account for or be deterred by bad road design. It wasn't a matter of if, but when/what/who he'd hit. The deceased gave himself no chance by not belting up, as reported.

That road does induce a false sense of supremacy in irresponsible drivers, and my biggest peeve with the PESIT exit approach is an unnatural dip in the section where the descent ends and one begins to ascend towards the toll gates.

The dip there causes abnomal suspension travel at high speed (braking makes it worse by loading the front end further), and can throw a high COG vehicle off-balance. Not necessarily a factor in this accident but it's caught out plenty of people over the years, and has never been fixed.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed