Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2019, 12:11   #121
BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Maybe my post was not clear. I was not buying the vehicle.
My apologies! I misread your post hence the response.

Yet again, I firmly say "Never let a sloppy person put you at risk for his/her swag"

On a separate note, I do appreciate your point about 0-100 timings. I'm of the same opinion as you sir.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:41   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Whilst acceleration figures are relevant, I have always thought that 0-50 is much more relevant to the city driver.
Old 9th April 2019, 16:40   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Here you go. Uploaded.
It's a very short clip. I'm not able to figure out if this is indeed the accident.
Also the clip seems to be of the car after it lost control, so difficult to say anything. I'm unable to gauge the speed of the car from this clip.
Any comments on the genuinity of the clip?
The car crosses two white poles(guess its the street lights) in less than a second.
If you know the distance between the poles, you can roughly calculate the speed.
The distance between the poles range from 50ft to 80ft.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 10th April 2019 at 00:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 9th April 2019, 19:01   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Both in Manual & Automatic, it is the right leg that does the braking. Why the confusion? Only an unfamiliar person with driving might try to use the left leg for braking.
I will get into name calling as the person who demonstrated this one idiotic skill did it on youtube, for millions of viewers to see and learn. This guy Faisal Khan, a car reviewer, demonstrating an AT XUV 500 has the van parked with his left leg on the brake, and right on the accelerator and zoooooms away his van. He categorically explains, "Left leg on the brake, right leg on the accelerator".

Technology familiar people but uneducated otherwise I would say.

Please watch the following link and skip to 03:30

Sorry moderators for including another vehicle in this thread but I wanted folks to see this particular video. Please move it to another thread if you feel its inappropriate here.

Last edited by desiaztec : 9th April 2019 at 19:03.
desiaztec is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 23:52   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
This guy Faisal Khan, a car reviewer, demonstrating an AT XUV 500 has the van parked with his left leg on the brake, and right on the accelerator and zoooooms away his van. He categorically explains, "Left leg on the brake, right leg on the accelerator".
Technology familiar people but uneducated otherwise I would say.
OT:
AFAIK, in some automatic cars equipped with launch control, that is how you activate it by engaging brake with left foot and accelerator with right foot to enable launch control and zoom off with a perfect launch. I am not sure about the XUV though (does it even have launch control?), but he didn't really mean to use brake normally with left foot, he does that only during his speed runs (acceleration/top speed test) for launching the car. If you have watched his other videos, you will see the same step in all AT cars.
By the way, why did you call XUV a van?

Video for reference:

Last edited by Funny : 9th April 2019 at 23:57.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 13:04   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I had two instances where my friends (one with 40 years of driving experience on MT) who never drove an Automatic before, used their left leg on the brake thinking it to be clutch. That is an automatic muscle reaction during an emergency where your legs start doing things even without you recognizing it.
And using left leg on the brakes by a person accustomed to MT is very dangerous because your left leg is trained to depress the clutch pedal completely with full pressure and when they do that on the brake pedal, the vehicle comes to a violent halt.
You are absolutely correct in this statement as it is a huge factor in crashes (usually rear-endings by the following vehicle), when a automatic car is braked very hard due the use of the left foot on the brake!

I personally find it irritating to switch to-and-fro between my Octavia automatic and Creta manual.
Old 10th April 2019, 14:16   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

This left foot on the clutch in an automatic thing... I did it once. Ever since, I have kept to the recommendation of keeping the left leg back against the seat during the auto acclimatization period. It is something we can easily manage, but people need that education to know about it.

My left leg is not trained to push the clutch to the floor. it is trained to be very sensitive, applying just enough pressure. The left foot of an experienced driver is just as subtle as the right.

I don't know that this contributes much to the original topic, which is probably already talked out.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 14:35   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You are absolutely correct in this statement as it is a huge factor in crashes (usually rear-endings by the following vehicle), when a automatic car is braked very hard due the use of the left foot on the brake!
It happened to me the first time I drove an automatic. Pushed the gear to drive, the car moved forward and I accelerated gradually (like how we do it in the first gear). When the speed was around 20 kmph, my left foot hit the brake!! and my left hand was on the gear stick to change. I had no idea why I did it. Luckily, the road was empty and nothing had happened. Then-on, I have been careful when I drive the automatic.
Old 10th April 2019, 17:57   #129
BHPian

These photos were taken from an other thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Dashboard with the black-beige interior theme from the facelift. Ambience is good, part quality is ordinary:

Spacious footwell with a wider brake pedal:

The dead pedal really needs to be wider, especially in the AT where it will be used 100% of the time. Anyone with even a size 10 shoe will find it to be too narrow. Doesn't support the entire foot. Now that there's so much space in the footwell, why didn't Mahindra think of this?
The accelerator and brake pedals are so designed to prevent drivers from moving their heel point. The assumption is to keep the heel point constant, and then rotate the foot around this point to switch between Accelerator and Brake pedals. They are also slightly tilted inwards to facilitate this.

The same way the dead pedal and the clutch is so designed to operate from a single heel point. The clutch pedal is tilted outwards for this.

I dont think OEMs miss this while offering automatics. To use the brake pedal (mistaking it as the clutch), one must have to move the left heel point by more than 18cms (atleast) and plant your feet on the wrong side of the inward tilted brake pedal.

In my current car, at idle position, I have ~23 cms between the heel points. And with a fixed left heel point, there is no way I will be able to access the brake.
VaidhiR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:24   #130
BHPian

Just came across this video on Facebook about a 32 ton trailer truck which lost its brakes, and still managed to come to a stop without any tragedy.
https://www.facebook.com/18039263866...3833168278585/

Thought this is relevant to this thread..
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:02   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Just came across this video on Facebook about a 32 ton trailer truck which lost its brakes, and still managed to come to a stop without any tragedy.
https://www.facebook.com/18039263866...3833168278585/

Thought this is relevant to this thread..
Wow! That Road discpline and quality of roads! hats off to that driver and the engineers who designed such roads with forethought.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:51   #132
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore I have noticed that the moment there is some free space on the roads for a certain distance, the drivers/riders tend to immediately accelerate till they encounter the next bumper to bumper traffic.
It is this process of acceleration that can lead to an accident. What do they achieve by this. With the mindset that more powerful the engine capacity, the vehicle must be driven fast it would be better if the authorities concerned fix a speed limit of 100 kmph in all high end cars/bikes etc that are to be driven in India. One can always buy a new vehicle courtesy his/her earnings but what if that he/she perishes in an accident like the RR case. Human life is far too precious than the most astronomically priced car/bike.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks