Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 21:52   #76
BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
It is always a thin line between having control and losing control. How do we know if we have crossed it or not (that is, knowing before a mishap)?
Isn't that one of the problems on public roads. One should only push far enough to 50% of the combined capability of the car and the driver. Leave enough room for surprises in road conditions, and other road users. The thin line to losing control applies to a race track.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 29th March 2019 at 22:10.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 00:44   #77
BHPian

Re: High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured

Perfect example of very famous quote you all might have heard, "SPEED THRILLS BUT KILLS".

I recently took a test drive of RR Evoque and the way it picks speed is insane. Although I didn't crossed even 100 mark but it can easily do 180 and at such speeds in a test drive vehicle it is very difficult to manage such incidents. Drive slow n Safe is the only key to avoid such loss.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 06:36   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the death of this guy. Hope his wife and daughter recover.

The fault here lies on multiple fronts:
1) The Driver - for driving too fast in a new car - it’s always better to be conservative.
2) The Sales Agent - for letting such fast driving take place, and for not insisting that everyone wears a seat belt
3) The Deceased - for not having worn a seat belt
4) The NICE Road Authorities - for having such a poorly designed entrance to the toll booth.

At one level, the road authorities are highly culpable - but at another, anyone who lives in India knows how our roads are designed - and can’t drive as if he is on an Autobahn
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 07:47   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
4) The NICE Road Authorities - for having such a poorly designed entrance to the toll booth.
There is nothing wrong with that entrance.

1. It is a straight stretch with clear visibility and boards leading to the toll booths.
  2. There is nothing obstructing the view to the booths.
  3. Many have said that there is a downward slope before the booth. There is also a slight upward incline as we approach the booth. Yes, but this is not like being on the other side of the hill that you can not see it.
  4. This gradient is after some leveling - so we cannot say that the company did not plan it well. If they had used the native contours/elevation, it would have been worse.

Even many booths on highways are around turns.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 08:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is nothing wrong with that entrance.
+1 I totally agree with you. The overall design of NICE road, Bangalore may not be scientific as many of them have pointed out, but by and large, any motorvehicle crash that happens right at the toll plazas could be due to only two possibilities --

1. High speed reckless driving and not slowing down in time.

2. Brake fail

Period.

Last edited by vivek95 : 30th March 2019 at 08:07. Reason: Editing quote
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 09:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

Don't toll booths have cctv cameras? If they did, it may have captured the accident and added some clarity to the theories being floated around.
Till then we will have to depend on theories and extrapolations from what the SA, driver and family finally say.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 00:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, Oblivious to the fact that 4km before this spot a high speed crash had taken place... This happens

I was at 100kmph, my usual right lane speed, I had no time to react to this Merc. I am guessing this guy was 150+...?

svsantosh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 13:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is no way that the sales person can stop the driver slamming his foot down.

It's like the opposite of what a driving instructor told me about teaching in a dual-control car: "I can stop the car, but I can't stop you stopping it." He said that that is why most driving-school accidents involve being rear-ended. Learner panics and slams on the brake. In this instance we're talking about wildly slamming on the accelerator.

So, I think that speed limiters on demo cars can be effective. They can prevent the driver trying out the top speed. Of course, people will find ways to have accidents at slower speeds, but with very little effort a step can be taken to prevent these more extreme accidents.
The idea is to create awareness in the society that there is no requirement for a sales person tagging along for a test drive. Or a speed limiter for that matter.

Why should a sales person be available during a test drive? Why should there be a speed limiter?

Doesnt the onus lie on the driver to act responsibly, with or without anyone else being present? Doesnt the driver need to be aware of what he is capable of and what the car is capable of?
Old 1st April 2019, 14:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Don't toll booths have cctv cameras? If they did, it may have captured the accident and added some clarity to the theories being floated around.
Till then we will have to depend on theories and extrapolations from what the SA, driver and family finally say.
If there were cameras installed at the toll booth and if they were functioning too (a BIG if, atleast in India), then that will definitely aid the investigators as to the faulty approach/potential speed of the (now crashed) car, if there was a tyre burst, or if something else (say another car/person on the road) caused the driver to take an evasive manoeuvre at that speed etc.

And talking of speed, it is going to be very difficult to ascertain the correct range of the car speed (whether 100+, 120+, 150+ etc.) unless there are speed cameras installed on that road stretch.
Not that it matters, unfortunately for the deceased's family but atleast it will hopefully help the authorities to enforce stricter measures in the future.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:15   #85
BANNED

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The potential Range Rover customer qualifies for the Darwin Award.
I echo the same opinion. It seems the dealerships too can't afford to risk losing a sale. They should ask potential customers to stick with the legal speed limits.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 3rd April 2019 at 11:28.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:22   #86
BHPian

This brings to me the saying of my previous company's CEO. "No process can anticipate and stop the stupid people doing what they will". And lot of times i realized that is correct. It also fits in this case.
vennarbank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:37   #87
BHPian

Is it possible the Range Rover masked the speed and the speed appeared to be 100 - 120 whereas the actual speed was 150+?

A person driving a new car may not have realized the speed it is at. Tragic Accident.

Who will pay for the car damages? Will the dealer be liable to pay to compensate for the life lost?

More importantly, it is cruel that a small child will grow up without her father...
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:39   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

At one level, the road authorities are highly culpable - but at another, anyone who lives in India knows how our roads are designed - and can’t drive as if he is on an Autobahn
If the design is faulty at such level then I would expect every second car to end up in a crash which is not the case. We are not talking about the autobahn but our Indian highways where everybody knows what to expect. Despite the fact, if one is driving or rather flying the vehicle at such insane speed is complete ignorance and the outcome is evident. Speed Kills, Period!
grevvity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:42   #89
BHPian

A Range Rover - even the Evoque is a crossover. By design it will have high ground clearance & correspondingly a higher centre of gravity. Such cars are not meant to be driven at high speed or corners taken at high speed. Modern cars are extensively tested, but when drivers push the limits of the car such accidents happen.
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:00   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Is it possible the Range Rover masked the speed and the speed appeared to be 100 - 120 whereas the actual speed was 150+?

A person driving a new car may not have realized the speed it is at. Tragic Accident.

Who will pay for the car damages? Will the dealer be liable to pay to compensate for the life lost?

More importantly, it is cruel that a small child will grow up without her father...
Why would anyone mask the speed of the car and make it appear low speed? If someone has motivation to kill the driver/passenger, yes, I agree but otherwise, I don't find any reason.

Why will the dealer be liable to pay for car damages and compensate for life lost? Leaving aside the emotions, I would rather think the people who were inside the car are liable to pay for the car damages and lives lost. They are the ones who drove the car so fast or kept silent when the car was driven at illegal speeds

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2019 at 08:53. Reason: Editing out the lighter comments since it has been reported as insensitive. Thanks for understanding.

Most Viewed