Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 16:17   #361
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Considering the safety angle alone - how easy is it to trust these two brands? From blindly trusting the Koreans to blindly trusting the Japanese - what else really changes? Hard to 'trust' any companies blindly now - unless it is either an import (CBU / CKD) or is a tested product.
I didn't mention those 2 in the context of safety, more in context of "brands" themselves, that our market prefers the new bling brands in both those things.

As far as safety is concerned, I think the only thing that's for certain is - we can ONLY trust the cars with a GNCAP score. Blindly trusting any OEM would be a mistake here, even the Europeans. The "feel" of safety can be good in some cars yet they can fail on the engineering. I'm pretty sure the Kias don't "feel" cheap, the Seltos must have decent "thud" feeling too.

What Toyota/Honda do have is quality engineering pedigree built over decades. Even the humble and lightweight Etios managed a decent score. Obviously, that did not get appreciated in the market looking for bling and they turned to Glanza.

As for Honda, not like any of their cars except the City even sell. I don't think they'd sell any more if they got good safety ratings. Which brings me back to my original point about brands.
RoadMonkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:18   #362
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly

It's sad that Indians are taken for granted when it comes to delivering safety assured vehicles in 4 wheeler segment. Partially, we have to blame ourselves than these manufacturers who are rich in providing features but lack the main basic necessity a car should have now in the current times!

When Indian manufacturers are geared up so well in safety front, we are so focused in comparing them to these feature-providing companies than safety providing ones like our own Tata & Mahindra's!

We criticise Tata & Mahindra so much so that we dive down to the quality or finish in the plastics they have used which hardly matters when it comes to the safety their cars offer! We should change the way we prioritize currently i.e. feature vs safety. It's high time for us to make it Safety over Feature-rich vehicles!

Well done Tata & Mahindra for offering such great vehicles. Shame on Hyundai & Kia for taking Indian for granted in safety front despite making all yours cars a runaway success despite not knowing who Kia was!

Last edited by gururajrv : 12th November 2020 at 16:20.
gururajrv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:27   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
I do wonder what went wrong with SELTOS , is that the seat designs for base variants ? Or the airbag size or something as seen with the Duster ?
I am also looking for some clarity on this. If you see the report, this is what Global NCAP says:
The protection offered to the driver and passenger head was adequate, both passenger and driver head bottomed out the airbags.
I think the 'passenger and driver head bottomed out the airbags' aspect has caused the head rating to go down from Good(GREEN) to adequate(YELLOW). If I look into the video, I am not able to exactly figure out what this means since the head contact happens to be on the center of the airbag only. Or is it that the head hit the front inspite of the airbag. I am not sure.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:30   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Anyways , anybody looking at the Seltos should now look at XL6 . Its a fantastic value for money proposition and at least its brakes will not fail at a critical moment.
This may be a long shot as it has become a desirable automobile as well. I will not call it a value for money proposition. A VFM proposition is the XL6 now in its presumably safer avatar.

Only if you need 6 seats the XL6 makes sense. Now in these unpredictable times you need to cater to any eventuality of travel, so I shoved the shortcomings under the rug and went for the XL6. Apart from the minor niggles its been a good ownership stint till now.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:37   #365
BHPian

Enough has been discussed about the Crash Test Results by our forum members.

I would like to request the Moderators to add a new section in "Official Reviews" thread in the opening part itself which describes the following points in addition to (Pros / What you'll like), (Cons / What you won't)
  1. A section with heading "Safety: Crash Test Results".
  2. A brief, short summary on the test results.
  3. On which date the car has been tested for safety purpose.
  4. Reference to links where the user can dig into more details:
  • Link 1: Which points to actual website like Global NCAP
  • Link 2: Which points to our own thread where one can read, analyze our member's viewpoints.

Hope to see these add-ons on our future Official Review threads.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 12th November 2020 at 16:48.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:41   #366
Senior - BHPian

Expected Seltos to do better, especially when cars from lower segment such as Nexon, Vitara Brezza have better safety score.

Does this also mean that the Hyundai creta too scores same ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:44   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As if the crash test rating wasn't bad enough, Maruti's response is even worse
Dear Maruti,

Thanking you for giving me another reason for not buying your products! This sheer arrogance is absolutely mind boggling !!
Col Mehta is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:03   #368
BHPian

A question- can the moderators of this forum write to the PMO to request their support in providing safety labels on cars like energy efficiency labels on appliances? So many people these days will buy 5 star acs and refrigerators even if it is at a small premium. Made in India, Designed in India and NCAP ratings should be mandatory on these cars.

I am requesting the moderators because they are the most influential automotive team in this country. The government knows that most media houses are sold out and will give multiple Hyundai advertisements on YouTube in India the day their car is recalled for fires elsewhere.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:09   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Safest Cars in India as per Global NCAP ratings:

-As per the Global NCAP ratings – Mahindra XUV300 emerged as India’s Safest Car! The Sub-4m Compact SUV scored five stars for adult occupancy (scoring 16.42/17) and four stars for child occupant protection (scoring (37.44/49). The model also won Global NCAP’s first-ever Safer Choice award.

Name:  g.PNG
Views: 2369
Size:  286.2 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:22   #370
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Safest Cars in India as per Global NCAP ratings
How conveniently have they missed mentioning the Toyota Etios and Tata Zest which had scored 4 stars each in the crash tests.

They are no doubt discontinued but that is no reason to take away their achievement.

Last edited by OSH : 12th November 2020 at 17:26.
OSH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:30   #371
BHPian

Now this is one serious hot thread.

I bought the Creta for the comfort and features it offered. There is a 12 year old flawlessly performing i10 in the family which prompted me to go for a Hyundai even when I knew I was paying more than what the car is worth. At the time Latin NCAP had crash tested the India made Creta and gave it a respectable 4 start rating for adult protection and 3 star rating for child protection. There was also talk of ASEAN NCAP test and some sites are saying India spec (first gen) Creta scored a 4 star rating. I couldn't find the results on ASEAN NCAP website though.

I had a low speed accident about a couple of months ago, which is documented in my ownership thread and I have to tell that the car took the full frontal impact pretty well. Even though the airbags didn't deploy (which is in the back of my mind always now, right next to the spongy brakes/ brake failure issue) all of us occupants were totally safe sans the shock.

Now the old Creta was based on the i20 platform IIRC and the new one is based on the Elantra platform. I was expecting it (KIA) to score more than the old car this time since both cars are based on the same platform IIRC. Or I'm mistaken on both counts as the India made Creta tested by Latin NCAP was not similar to Indian spec like how the new KIA for AUS and USA is different than the one for India.

I too am of the opinion that the official TBHP reviews should also include the crash test ratings, if available and include quality/brakes are are hit or miss for Hyundai/KIA in the same gist as service is a hit or miss for TATA/Mahindra/Skoda.

P.S.- About two days ago, I dissuaded a friend from getting anything from Hyundai/KIA stable because I was getting a bad vibe and then this thread appears. Talk about Providence, eh? He has his heart almost set on the new Rapid TSI but I have asked him to look at TATA and Mahindra too.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 12th November 2020 at 17:32.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:42   #372

I managed to get a reply from car& bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Global NCAP tests Kia Seltos, i10 Nios and S-Presso. All three perform badly-screenshot_20201112165849.png  

Pigcee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 17:54   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Safest Cars in India as per Global NCAP ratings:

-As per the Global NCAP ratings – Mahindra XUV300 emerged as India’s Safest Car! The Sub-4m Compact SUV scored five stars for adult occupancy (scoring 16.42/17) and four stars for child occupant protection (scoring (37.44/49). The model also won Global NCAP’s first-ever Safer Choice award.

Attachment 2079597

Link
Mad respect for TATA and Mahindra. Hope they continue to do better. Hope they better themselves in some lacking areas, and rule the Indian market. I always thought, Hyundai made well built and safe cars, and supported my dad's decision to buy the Venue. The XUV3OO would have been clearly a better choice even though we have a XUV5OO. Making an unsafe car is different from offering the unsafe-version of a well built car to our easily gullible people. Trust me, most people would prefer a well built safe car over a small sunroof and an air purifier.
SNOWY227 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 18:07   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
How conveniently have they missed mentioning the Toyota Etios and Tata Zest which had scored 4 stars each in the crash tests.

They are no doubt discontinued but that is no reason to take away their achievement.
The Indica VISTA or the "Tata X-1" platform as it was known internally was extremely well engineered and robust. The underbody reinforcements and the collision load dissipation paths alongwith the outriggers were of very high standards. Unknown to many, the Indica Vista was perhaps the only car in its segment with pedal box intrusion protection - meaning in a crash the A,B,C pedals will get pushed back within a certain limited range, preventing serious lower leg injuries for the driver and also the pedal box will not collapse.
The Indica VISTA was made with an eye on exports to Europe and UK, hence it was package protected for Euro NCAP crash legislations. Thus all cars based on the X-1 platform, for example: the ZEST, the MANZA, the BOLT and the last derivation, the NEXON will perform well in crash tests.
arjab is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 18:12   #375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Yes Sir, next time I must consult with you before putting my opinion
In that sense no two wheelers should be running on the road.
Well you are entitled to your opinion and I genuinely respect that. On a second note did you sell your 1 star car and got yourself a 5 star car?
I am not trying to make fun of you or anybody else (including me) with a less safe car. Can any SME give us some insight into the crash test ratings? Is 3 star so bad?
Dearest Sou_3749,
Apologies if you felt hurt, please forgive. And don't address me as Sir, I'm not worthy of that stuff and I feel it's derogatory that we have to call others Sir!

I was 24 in 2002, when my parents got me a Zen, not because we were well off, but I was so stubborn on getting a two wheeler. Somehow they managed to get me a 6 month used Zen. If I had got a 2 wheeler with the temperament and attitude of that time, I would have been in obituary column long back. I was too short tempered, impatient, arrogant jerk. I didn't give a hoot to others on roads, used to drive like a stupid. The only thing I did right was wearing seat belts without fail, I don't know why I did that being such a prick! I had threatened to off load my mom when she refused to wear seat belts.

Circa, 2007-08, I came across team-bhp. Slowly after reading the discussions, I realised that there are many more things like safe driving, structural integrity, need for safety measures like airbags and all. I realised I have been a threat to not only myself but innocent road users. Did I become a saint over night? Nope, I still drove fast whenever I found open taramac. But the more I spent time here I was becoming wiser.

When it came to buy a new car for my parents, in 2010, I forced them to buy Ford Figo. I was convinced it's body was safe due to heaviness. It still does duty at home. In 2014, my daughter was born. At that time my Zen was not having rear seat belts, I got it fixed from a FNG. I bought a Chicco Nextfit child seat spending ₹28,000 from Chicco Bangalore (at that time there was not a single shop in entire Kerala selling Chicco, Britax. A nice guy at Chicco couriered it to Kerala, cash was paid through bank transfer as there was no online shopping tools). My wife, my friends etc, were mocking me for spending a fortune for such a useless thing (mind you, my friends are mostly doctors!). I was told I'm paranoid and thinking too much. It was not needed for Indian roads! Daughter was uncomfortable initially but then go used to it.

In 2015, I bought Ford Figo Aspire DCT. I was hoping that Ford would be a safe car. Few years later GNCAP tested Indian Aspire, it got only 2* for children and 3* for adults. I felt horrible, I wasn't in a position to buy a new car and also needed a proper automatic like DCT, TC, CVT. I have been waiting for Nexon, Altroz or XUV 300 to launch a proper automatic. When my family had to travel places, I made sure they take trains, and if it wasn't possible always call up a known cabbie for last 6 years. He is an extremely safe driver, but I still feel worried as it's an Amaze he drives. You see I'm not in a position to buy a luxury car now, there are many who are like me. When a Tata Altroz costing ₹6 lakh or Tata Nexon which costs ₹8 lakh can give 5* rated car, do you think it’s unreasonable to expect the same from Kia?

Now about 2 wheelers plying our roads, do you think they are using 2 wheelers by will? They maybe more better father’s than me, it’s because of financial circumstances most are forced to use 2 wheelers. And about most of them not voluntarily using helmets, a doctor like me who got educated in fairly good places didn’t have basic road manners. Our education system doesn’t give importance to integrity, values, ethics and empathy. We need to inculcate such things first before forcing younger generations to rat race.

As a parent, my biggest fear would be losing my kids in accidents, imagine if that’s after you buy a car hoping it would be safe. How unethical are guys at Kia, when they put analogy of 2 african elephants can stand on their cars. All human beings are equal for me and nobody deserves to die because some profit oriented people are heading Maruti, Hyundai, Kia. There is something called ‘trust’ in life, if that’s lost there is nothing left in a relationship, be it family, friends, customers, organisations, governments.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 12th November 2020 at 18:21.
The Rationalist is offline   (49) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks