Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2024, 06:59   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

If this is the UK experience in the hands of a deeply knowledgeable driver, I shudder to think what will happen in India
https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/ne...go-badly-wrong
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 10:39   #212
Team-BHP Support

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I shudder to think what will happen in India
Same thing happens. Twice so far, my Tucson has applied full emergency brake in a crowded road. I mean complete stop in a second. If I was not wearing seatbelts, I would have banged my head to the windshield.

However, in both cases the car was below 10kmph and the car in the rear was not tailgating me. In each case, there was no cause to brake at all. I looked around and found nothing but people staring at me.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 10:42   #213
BHPian

Not to worry, our government will soon come up with a smart policy to mitigate this issue as they usually do. All cars shipped from Jan 2025 and that have ADAS should display it in the rear prominently citing the dangers of tailgating ET. Here is an existing example from our lorries on the road that has a display requesting tailgaters to honk.

ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-1430556453986_hornpleaseok.jpg

[pun intended]

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th June 2024 at 10:43.
Old 11th June 2024, 15:07   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy26 View Post
Having experienced irregular emergency braking on my Tucson, I have made it a ritual to turn off the forward emergency braking every time I start my car. I don’t think ADAS is all that practical for our road conditions though it can be helpful and life saving at some point, I luckily got saved from getting my car getting rear ended twice that too on the highway!

Having said that it’s a pain to turn off the forward collision assist as it resets to the default setting every time you start the car (imagine explaining it to your driver).

The manufacturers must update or find a way so that it doesn’t revert back to its original setting just like the other ADAS settings.

I just fear what may happen on a bad day if I forget to turn it off.

I feared that when I took my XUV delivery recently, but there is also an option to permanently switch individual ADAS features. You can go granular and choose to keep only a warning without action. I found this very helpful, so it's doable. The manufacturer should put in some effort.
Old 11th June 2024, 20:39   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If this is the UK experience in the hands of a deeply knowledgeable driver, I shudder to think what will happen in India
https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/ne...go-badly-wrong
This article made me google about the author for the Matt Prior I know is an ex England cricketer . For a moment, I thought he followed the footsteps of Andrew Flintoff.
Attached Thumbnails
ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-screenshot_20240611_203641_chrome.jpg  

ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-screenshot_20240611_203717_google.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th June 2024 at 20:41.
Old 26th June 2024, 20:48   #216
BHPian

Rear end collision as expected!!

Yes, as predicted in the moderately slow moving traffic on Mysore ring road, a biker does a zig zag pass infront of our BMW iX, as expected the iX slammed on the brake bringing the vehicle to break neck stop. Mahindra Thar right behind did his best to break but rear ended the iX. Then the arguments followed by photos of the moderate bang for insurance.

I have decided write to BMW India about this incident to make this feature completely optional to the driver and not to auto reset every time we restart the car.

With this totally out of the Indian context feature, more than sales, there would be more insurance claims IMO, both the bumper and broken neck insurance claims.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 09:03   #217
Senior - BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/mercedes-benz...cident-kerala/
While this seems to be attributable to the driver, I'm more concerned about what the "journalist" has written
Quote:
If the Mercedes-Benz driver was coming fast and applied sudden brakes after spotting the baby pigeon, it was the fault of the car driver, as the pickup coming from the rear doesn’t necessarily have the safety aids and technologically advanced features to stop on time like the German cars. Above all, the pickup was loaded, and heavier vehicles tend to take more time to slow down or stop.
It's not a very uncommon view. Have had several cases where drivers of commercial vehicles have advanced the argument that "can't you see I'm driving a rust bucket, why did you stop like that" same from bikers. " Can't you see that a bike cannot stop like your car, why did you brake so hard" and have a crowd of onlookers support it.
My understanding is that the onus of keeping a safe following distance is on the following driver, unfortunately in India, that's sort of perverted because they are not expected to consider the scenarios that other vehicles may or can brake faster than them
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 11:12   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
https://www.cartoq.com/mercedes-benz...cident-kerala/
While this seems to be attributable to the driver, I'm more concerned about what the "journalist" has written

It's not a very uncommon view. Have had several cases where drivers of commercial vehicles have advanced the argument that "can't you see I'm driving a rust bucket, why did you stop like that" same from bikers. " Can't you see that a bike cannot stop like your car, why did you brake so hard" and have a crowd of onlookers support it.
My understanding is that the onus of keeping a safe following distance is on the following driver, unfortunately in India, that's sort of perverted because they are not expected to consider the scenarios that other vehicles may or can brake faster than them
Yes this is a point that is lost on most people including some who have been driving for ages. It is the job of the following car to ensure that there is enough gap to safely brake taking into consideration the nature of their vehicle, its dynamics and its braking efficiency. If there is a rear ending the vehicle that hit the rear is the culprit.

I would say this is like victim blaming. Sure it is silly to walk around at midnight flouting a gold chain but a thief cannot claim that he is not at fault for stealing because his victim asked for it.
Old 11th September 2024, 17:33   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Not to worry, our government will soon come up with a smart policy to mitigate this issue as they usually do. All cars shipped from Jan 2025 and that have ADAS should display it in the rear prominently citing the dangers of tailgating ET. Here is an existing example from our lorries on the road that has a display requesting tailgaters to honk.

Attachment 2613641

[pun intended]
Saw a Hyundai Tucson today with a sticker "AUTO BRAKES KEEP DISTANCE". The irony is, the fonts are readable only if you are close enough

ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-img_7234.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-img_7227.jpg  

Last edited by streetfighter : 11th September 2024 at 17:39.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks