Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2023, 23:18   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
Had you already started breaking as soon the vehicle ahead slowed down? And the ADAS system activated later, despite you already breaking, assuming there'll be a impact?
I was already braking when the ADAS kicked in.
The brake pedal felt like it had lost all pressure and the car stopped.

After the shock wore off my wife was joking that the car did not trust me enough and decided to protect itself.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 20:13   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Was casually checking out for a potential candidate for a future purchase and really liked the Elevate but the moment I saw AEB right from the V variant this was a deal breaker.

Deal breaker ? Seriously ? In my case, Yes.
I did make peace with the fact that I will have to pay for ADAS without using it but the deal breaker is that it comes on every time.

What if in a hurry I forget to switch it off from some menu option ?
What if my father, uncle or a driver took it out without knowing what the car is capable of ?
All this happens in T2 traffic where a gap of 2 feet is way too large to exist in reality.

One of the most useful ADAS tech I feel(haven't used though) would be the high beam assist and the lane watch cameras but I can even live without those.
Hence I think ADAS just isn't going to work for us until our traffic(including pedestrians) discipline vastly improves which I honestly don't see happening anytime soon.

Hence keeping ADAS as an option should be the way to go across vehicles.
But I still consider it a dangerous system for our roads, like a lot of you have unfortunately found out.

Last edited by shancz : 12th November 2023 at 20:15. Reason: ccl
Old 12th November 2023, 21:43   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Hence keeping ADAS as an option should be the way to go across vehicles.
In my Verna, there is an option to switch off the braking assistance for Forward Collisions.

Once set the setting will persist even if you restart the car.

But I will not disable this. ADAS can someday end up preventing me from running over someone. The risk of a rear bumper damage is too insignificant against this.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 07:02   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volvo XC60 that I purchased in January 2015 had Emergency brake Assist. I assume that is similar to ADAS as it is now referred to. It used to activate only below 50 kmph and above 5 kmph and then too only if it sensed that an object was getting too close at too high a velocity and either the driver had not yet activated his own braking or was not braking fast/hard enough. It usually only got activated in jam packed slow moving traffic in which 2-wheeler jokers abound in cutting and squeezing. It never activated in faster moving traffic. The software and sensor package I assume varies with OEMs but this one from Volvo was quite sensible in the 9 years I used that car. My new Volvo too has the feature which you cannot deactivate. If the algorithm is similar I'm okay with it.

In fact in the C40 Volvo EV the one pedal regenerative braking is way to strong
especially if you instinctively take your foot off the accelerator to apply the brakes - that is a real rear-ender masterpiece. That I have deactivated.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 09:11   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Once set the setting will persist even if you restart the car.
That's the option I expect to be standard across manufacturers, the Elevate doesn't offer that IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
It usually only got activated in jam packed slow moving traffic in which 2-wheeler jokers abound in cutting and squeezing.
That's traffic in my city and also common even at 30-40kmph. Also what the ADAS can't see is that the 2 wheeler in the front has let go of his/her throttle only to "check out" the surroundings(maybe he/she is a future real estate tycoon scouting for locations) and will be accelerating once his mental map update is complete.
If the AEB gets activated(and will) its a definite rear ending and nuisance to deal with as the SOP of folks around here is to "ramp up on the other guy so he doesn't do the same" regardless of the rules/fault. It can be dealt with but on an average I see that almost every trip and on some special days 3-4 times per trip(10-15kms).
Now the number of times I would want my senior citizen father to deal with that is zero hence it becomes a deal breaker.

But with the option to persist settings its no more an operational deal breaker as I can switch it off and no-one else has to deal with.
Old 13th November 2023, 10:21   #111
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Also, If ADAS was indeed offered, they should make that feature in OFF mode by default. If you want to use it, it should be switched ON.
Also, a car buyer needs to think through before buying a variant that offers just ADAS as the additional feature (obviously at an additional price).

I was in this dilemma few months ago and decided against buying the Harrier XZA+(O) #Dark edition and instead settled for the XZA+ #Dark edition. I did not not see a reason to buy the Harrier with ADAS and keep it switched off!

Last edited by NPV : 13th November 2023 at 10:22.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 21:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Was casually checking out for a potential candidate for a future purchase and really liked the Elevate but the moment I saw AEB right from the V variant this was a deal breaker.
Elevate doesn't get AEB(Honda calls it CMBS) on V variant. It is provided only on the top ZX variant. It is available from V variant only in the City, not on Elevate.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 21:38   #113
BHPian

ADAS's iffy(ness) may not be restricted to Indian conditions alone and we need to be alert at all times for the unexpected to happen, I suppose. Couple of weeks back I was in the bay area and got myself a Ford Explorer. On a drive back to my hotel after a long day and an even longer dinner, I was relying on the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control to do the job for me a bit. I was on the fast lane, on a sweeping right turn, the SUV suddenly pulled to the left and almost put me to the wall. Thankfully reflex kicked in and I got back control of the car. However, the incident spooked me enough to keep the lane keep assist turned off for the rest of the rental period.

Last edited by SR-71 : 13th November 2023 at 21:42.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 22:46   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Elevate doesn't get AEB(Honda calls it CMBS) on V variant. It is provided only on the top ZX variant. It is available from V variant only in the City, not on Elevate.
Thanks for the correction, got it mixed up with the City.
Not helping matters was carwale listing the same.

Thanks again, having it in ZX only makes sense, gives some room to get most useful features without ADAS.
Old 6th December 2023, 22:11   #115
BHPian

Quote:
But I will not disable this. ADAS can someday end up preventing me from running over someone. The risk of a rear bumper damage is too insignificant against this.
That is the only reason I am refraining from turning it off. Looks like we need to change our driving style to avoid the emergency braking from kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, a car buyer needs to think through before buying a variant that offers just ADAS as the additional feature (obviously at an additional price).
However much the buyer has thought it through before making the purchase, one can never be prepared for the kind of breaking the car goes through. It’s scary! The main worry being whether someone will rear-end our vehicle.
gpagedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 00:26   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I was already braking when the ADAS kicked in.
The brake pedal felt like it had lost all pressure and the car stopped.

After the shock wore off my wife was joking that the car did not trust me enough and decided to protect itself.
That's precisely how the ADAS on a Volvo works too; the application of the brakes is way more rapid than the human application and the fact that the brakes feel soo loose under your feet once the ADAS kicks causes some mental discomfort
Old 7th December 2023, 00:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
In my Verna, there is an option to switch off the braking assistance for Forward Collisions.

You're right; that is the reason some countries like Australia have made the AEB feature of ADAS mandatory for all vehicles sold in the country.
Old 7th December 2023, 09:54   #118
BHPian

ADAS boon or bane it depends on how and where it is getting used.

I own XUV 700, i always keep ADAS in warning rather than letting car to break or control.
This is really helped in couple of situations where i get the warning beep and steering wheel vibrate an obstacle in front.
I had tried auto breaking but before it could kickup/take control i would have applied the breaks. So for me it will be warning which is really helping in unforeseen situations
Old 7th December 2023, 10:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I will not disable this. ADAS can someday end up preventing me from running over someone. .
I maybe wrong here, but i feel ADAS is overkill in city limits. We all are very focussed inside city due to traffic density and the way our 2/3 wheelers and jaywalkers behave.

Driving on our roads can never be mastered by any tech, hence ADAS will be ultra conservative in its approach i feel in city.

Its a very good feature to have for newbie drivers who are prone to make mistakes, but for regular joes like us ( who love to drive ) maybe its not required.

IMO its best to use it on highways. ( Again This is just a guess since i have not driven any ADAS equipped car.)

This is an excellent thread since its going to give a lot of perspective to prospective buyers of cars with ADAS
Old 7th December 2023, 11:15   #120
BHPian

Typically there are multiple features with ADAS and OEMs include a set of features in their "implementation" in the cars they sell equipped with ADAS. The feature most commonly discussed in this thread is the "automatic emergency braking" (AEB) aka brake assist (BA), Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMBS), etc.

The City Hybrid which I bought last November came with CMBS as part of Honda Sensing suite (their name/implementation for ADAS). The CMBS feature is enabled by default every time the car is started and if you don't want it, you've to turn it off manually for each drive. Having been driving for around 2 decades now, I was sure that I don't any automatic mechanism interfering with the driving experience Turning CMBS off used to be annoyance and I would forget to do it 3 times out of 4. After a couple of months, decided to understand what this feature is and what exactly it does. The Honda User Guide has pages and pages of info and multiple scenarios where this would not work, driver should not depend on this all the time etc.

Basically what I realized is that every time there is an obstacle in front while driving, unexpected or otherwise and car is not at crawling speeds, imminent collision warnings come up - visually on dash and audio beeps. Even with 2-wheelers cutting across suddenly or coming across a stopped/stalled vehicle in your lane, the warnings come up a second (or maybe milli-seconds) before the auto braking kicks in. There have been only 2 instances in the last year where the CMBS applied the brakes before I realized. And both were in Bangalore slow city traffic speeds and in hindsight I know I was distracted, fiddling with buttons and engaged in animated discussion.

I have now 'learnt' to anticipate the situations where auto braking will likely occur and even before the visual/audio warnings come up, I am mostly ready to apply brakes and stop/take evasive action. Obviously even without ADAS, I need to look in the rear-view mirror to assess if my car is likely to be rear-ended if I were to brake suddenly. With CMBS, it makes it all the more necessary to check the traffic coming behind and how close they are - if not to avoid rear-ending at least bracing for impact. I'd like to think that I have become a slightly better driver now as well as I am more aware of the traffic conditions - in front, sides and importantly the back of my vehicle. I am reasonably confident that even if auto-braking were to kick in, the feeling of panic I got initially will not be there

I don't turn off the auto emergency braking feature any longer and rely on it as an additional useful driving aid that can help prevent accidents. But this is just my opinion and I understand this feature of ADAS may not work for everyone.
vijaykr is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks