Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 20:34   #151
BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Are there any readily available stickers online saying something like "Beware of Automatic brakes" to alert about ADAS braking.
nreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 17:52   #152
BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Team, I had an ADAS scare with a pedestrian. Needless to say, it was green and the person was still trying to cross. ADAS was activated and the entire car jerked for a good 2-3 seconds. I had to change from D - P and back; to move on.

- Should there be a need to take the vehicle to the service center post activation Collusion Mitigation System during an incident scare (hard brakes and car jerk)?

Note: There was no collusion. This is a brand new car (One week post delivery)
Old 26th February 2024, 18:18   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Team, I had an ADAS scare with a pedestrian. Needless to say, it was green and the person was still trying to cross. ADAS was activated and the entire car jerked for a good 2-3 seconds. I had to change from D - P and back; to move on.

- Should there be a need to take the vehicle to the service center post activation Collusion Mitigation System during an incident scare (hard brakes and car jerk)?

Which car is it?
No need to take to service center after any ADAS functions have triggered.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 18:44   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Which car is it?
No need to take to service center after any ADAS functions have triggered.
Thank you. It is Honda Elevate. I guess with ADAS it is back to school
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 18:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:

Not required. The driver needs to top up with his favourite beverage to calm his nerves, and raise a toast to ADAS while at it.
Old 26th February 2024, 18:47   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. It is Honda Elevate. I guess with ADAS it is back to school
I think that in Hondas, the emergency braking cannot be permanently disabled. Though it would have been the ideal setting for city driving in Indian conditions. It turns back on after restarting the car. How do you think the situation would have fared if the car hadn't braked automatically? Do you think that ADAS functions are interfering with your normal driving?

Last edited by saket77 : 26th February 2024 at 18:49.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 19:12   #157
BHPian

Quote:
How do you think the situation would have fared if the car hadn't braked automatically?
- Would have managed to break in time. (Typical Urban Indian driving habits)

Quote:
Do you think that ADAS functions are interfering with your normal driving?
- I believe it would until I complete my driving skills transformation.

I do believe ADAS will help keep our roads safer through change in our driving habits. It will if more brand implement it.
Boomerang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:12   #158
BHPian

Mercedes Benz is finally starting to roll out the update to turn off the Active brake assist till it is not explicitly turned on. Earlier, the feature used to be turned on automatically every time the car was switched on.
This update was much awaited by many Indian users and it's finally being rolled out. It's not coming as an OTA but a separate workshop visit is required. My friend recieved the update for his 2023 C Class.

ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-screenshot_2024030323092814_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:54   #159
BHPian

For me one of the other reason to avoid cars with ADAS(Emergency Braking) is increase in maintenance cost.

Indian road conditions which lead to over application of brakes by ADAS eats up a lot of brake pad & we have seen many users reporting, even in this forum, of ADAS vehicles(e.g. XUV700) where folks have to change brake pads within the 1st service(10k km mark).
Mr.Independent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 22:04   #160
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Gautham for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Dear Sir/Maam,

I would like to share my experience here in the forum about an unfortunate incident that happened with my car. It’s a serious safety issue and after several attempts to rectify it with Honda nothing seems to be working, so the least I expect is to at least make people aware of the issue and drive safely.

We were travelling at around 60-70 km/h on the national highway from Madurai towards Chennai in broad daylight at around 10-10:30 am. The car's automatic collision mitigation system activated suddenly with no visible obstacle on the road and the car came to an immediate stall resulting in a severe rear-ending. I have attached an image for your reference. This is a serious issue and after that, I have to switch off the ADAS and drive the vehicle manually. Yes, I understand several things can go wrong in a system, but Honda has responded that the car is perfectly fine and safe to drive.
ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-img_1492.jpg
RahulNagaraj is online now   (63) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 22:26   #161
BHPian

Looks like a similar incident has been discussed recently on this thread for Honda City. That’s a serious serious safety concern, as far as I know such system detects obstacles based on radar, camera and Lidar inputs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...onda-city.html (Problems & Advantages of ADAS in the Honda City)

Quote:
2] Emergency Braking Issue on really steep climbs

Now this has not happened once but twice. Both the times the car was slowly climbing a steep stretch of road (the types where you need to get out of a parking on a lower level). I would say on both the instances I would say the climb was really steep (Maybe more than 45 degrees). {Please don't say that the city doesn't have that kind of approach angle lol. It was a gradual climb}.
When on the most steep part, the emergency brake warning went off and the car braked to a complete stop. After talking to a couple of friends we came to the conclusion that maybe the camera can not comprehend the steep climb and it came to the decision that the car was about to crash into road itself. I know it sounds dumb but we couldn't come to any other conclusions. I am going to tell this issue to the Service Centre on my next visit and will update what they say. Also please let me know if anyone else has had this.

Last edited by NomadSK : 3rd April 2024 at 22:55.
NomadSK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 10:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreddy View Post
Are there any readily available stickers online saying something like "Beware of Automatic brakes" to alert about ADAS braking.
You can go to a shop which does stickering for cars etc and get one made for the rear windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Gautham for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Have these Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) features undergone testing in Indian driving conditions? This raises significant concerns, especially with manufacturers like Maruti planning to integrate these features into more mainstream vehicles. It's crucial to have an on-off switch for the ADAS feature, similar to how traction control is implemented with a button on the dashboard. Additionally, it's puzzling why there's only a front-facing camera; there should be one monitoring the rear as well. Then, the system can better determine how to slow down or stop the car if necessary. Does ADAS give any warning before it takes action or it simply seizes control and does what it want?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th April 2024 at 10:08.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 10:46   #163
BHPian

ADAS malfunction on cars is the equivalent of MCAS on the Boeing 737 Max, manufacturers cannot afford to get this wrong, had such an accident occurred in the USA, Honda lawyers would be rushing for a settlement with the Owner/Victims of the crash! ADAS has to be thoroughly tested on all vehicles as part of the homologation and the MORTH should establish guidelines for ADAS algorithms to accommodate Indian road conditions, retrofitting tech from western countries may not work on Indian roads and may lead to mishaps. Also there have to be redundancies built around sensors to ensure ADAS does not malfunction like it did in this case.
abaliga is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 10:50   #164
BHPian

As far as I know, the system in the Honda city uses Cameras only for ADAS features. Radar is not employed.
ZenMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 10:57   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post

Attachment 2589984

Since the OP says that there were no obstacles on the road, my question is what caused this accident. The person is lucky enough to not have been rear ended by a truck, otherwise the consequence could have been worser. Is this a limitation of Honda's camera based ADAS suite? It's a serious safety glitch, which Honda should look into immediately. ADAS was meant to increase road safety, but here it is doing the opposite thing. Hope that Honda will investigate the matter and issue a statement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks