Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 16:34   #91
BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Before we start bashing ADAS, lets understand, it’s basically built for civilized driving on well-marked roads. Unfortunately, our fellow countryman tend to ask - 'Civilized driving, kilo kithne ka hai ?' .

My cars proximity beeper goes into overdrive on daily commute. There is nothing we can do here unless people start respecting road rules. The one thing that would be reasonable to expect is to have an option to turn it off in city driving conditions and have full control over the car and use the ADAS for highway driving conditions. And when I say use the ADAS for highway, it’s not meant to be used like this moron who thinks his XUV700 is a Tesla!
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0g5ADO5mec0
LOL! I keep safe distance in front, bikers feel its invitation space for them and sometimes even cars chip in.

Personally I have been advocate of autonomous braking to prevent pedestrian being run over by inattentive or Crook drivers drunk on power/animosity.

In Bangalore you won't find a car which is 6 month old and corners are not scratched.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:31   #92
BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

I am awaiting delivery of my Tuscon Signature DL AWD in a couple of weeks. Hence wanted to check with the current owners if the ADAS gets switched on automatically on restart after you turn it off.
Hyundai was claiming their system is tuned to Indian conditions and hence the delay in Indian launch. Looks like they still have a long way to go.
I wonder if improvements can be made through OTA software updates.
Old 12th November 2022, 11:42   #93
BHPian

Here's my take after having driven the new Tucson diesel signature for 1000 kms:

1. Turn off lane departure unless you have amazing, well painted roads
2. Change forward collision warning from normal to late (its performing fine since I changed it to late)- haven't turned it to warn only - it can still intervene
3. Fine tune other settings to warn only if not needed
4. Keep warning volume high but low priority (do not attenuate audio sound)
5. Enjoy your Tucson!

Last edited by reppy : 12th November 2022 at 11:44.
reppy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 02:18   #94
BHPian

My friend got a custom sticker job for his Tucson after his experience with ADAS

Here is experience with ADAS

Quote:
I got the taste of ADAS braking on day-1 itself, when I drove up the ramp in my apartment parking. Driving up, the car slammed brakes so hard hard that people around came running to check if we were ok. The four of us inside the car also got a rude shock, as we were not briefed about such a possibility, during the delivery process. Further, ADAS braking kept on troubling me during my daily drives, with many near rear-end misses.
I wrote to Hyundai with CC to the dealer about the experience, and asked them to do a recall and provide a resolution. Did not get a response from them.
I think a simple thumbnail on the screen to switch it on/off would be sufficient to make it optional for the user. Manoeuvring the menu to switch it off everytime you start the engine is not workable.
For now, I have put up a sticker (attached) saying “ADAS Braking Activated, Please Maintain Distance”

I’m also worried about the location of the rear indicator. We are all used to seeing the indicator somewhere at eye level when viewed from the vehicle behind, but in Tucson’22 it is placed way too low on the bumper. Drivers of large vehicles definitely do not have visibility to that light. In bumper to bumper traffic, even fellow SUV drivers may not be able to see that light. In my email to Hyundai, I asked them if they can incorporate an indicator function in the long LED light running thru the breadth of the car
ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision-whatsapp-image-20221115-21.36.04.jpg
sreejith.j is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 22:24   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post

The four of us inside the car also got a rude shock, as we were not briefed about such a possibility, during the delivery process.

Attachment 2379932
It’s also the job of the driver to familiarise himself with the features of a new car. Did he read the owner’s manual?
There isn’t a fixed set of scenarios where Adas can/cannot activate. Common scenarios encountered on the road are listed in all manuals. They can’t list all possible scenarios.

Finally your friend should consider the possibility that he has gotten into the bad habit of tailgating. Rather than blaming Adas it’d be worthwhile to check his driving habits . Are they to the standards of proven manuals like “Roadcraft”

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 19th November 2022 at 22:26.
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 10:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I predict a roll-back of such features in a few years.
We're already seeing companies going back to physical clicky buttons on the console and steering wheels. The ultra modern touch sensitive ones surely looked like the pinnacle of modern technology but when it comes to the practicalities, most backward.!
Hope and pray your prediction comes true. Actually in Indian roads "Sophistication means Complication' and " Less Tech More Comfort"
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 10:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

Recently drove the new XUV700 with ADAS features. Even though I was apprehensive about the same, I came to like the auto brake and lane assistance features. However, practically speaking, I had to turn off the lane departure / assist feature because lanes were abruptly not marked (Pune-Nashik highway). It used to alert when changing lanes without using an indicator. The auto high beam was also a good feature.

I did get to experience auto braking 2-3 times and realised that keeping it in the late alert mode is best.

For a good driver, these features are probably not needed, but for someone who considers commuting as a chore, or just a way to get to their destination, these are some good to have features. I would rather curse when the car auto brakes in traffic than get into a crash.

I have also been spotting a lot of users who are distracted when driving. The menace of drivers glancing at their phones is just too much. Be it a Maruti or a Mercedes, most people have got so much into the habit of checking their phones that it scares me honestly. And sooner or later, this distracted driving will catch up to them. Hence, such ADAS features are a must-have for my safety and others on the road. I'm sure all these will be compulsory a few years later, just like dual airbags, ABS and rear parking sensors.

Last edited by blackwasp : 20th November 2022 at 10:44.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 02:51   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
It’s also the job of the driver to familiarise himself with the features of a new car. Did he read the owner’s manual?
There isn’t a fixed set of scenarios where Adas can/cannot activate. Common scenarios encountered on the road are listed in all manuals. They can’t list all possible scenarios.

Finally your friend should consider the possibility that he has gotten into the bad habit of tailgating. Rather than blaming Adas it’d be worthwhile to check his driving habits . Are they to the standards of proven manuals like “Roadcraft”

Well coming to a conclusion that he is tailgating might be a little harsh considering that he is driving in peak traffic in Bangalore. You cant expect the liberty of space here to leave a distance of 4 or 2 car lengths. Also the incident in the basement is at a ramp where the sliding entrance of the ramp made the vehicle think its an obstacle.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 18:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Well coming to a conclusion that he is tailgating might be a little harsh considering that he is driving in peak traffic in Bangalore. You cant expect the liberty of space here to leave a distance of 4 or 2 car lengths. Also the incident in the basement is at a ramp where the sliding entrance of the ramp made the vehicle think its an obstacle.
If he's driving in peak Bangalore traffic he'd be driving at 25kph max and 10kph average speed. The passage where you travel from the overbridge near Bayappanahalli to the Mahadevpura ORR through KR Puram comes to mind. Atleast the Auto Emergency Braking in my XUV 700 does not brake aggressively at that speed. Maybe Tuscon has a different setting.

The incident in the ramp is an edge case. With any such system there will be false triggers. Anyway you are supposed to go at 20kph inside an apartment complex. Whatever auto braking does it won't decelerate at more than 1g since at higher deceleration ABS will kick in. What damage will this braking cause at 20kph?

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 21st November 2022 at 18:19.
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:25   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
If he's driving in peak Bangalore traffic he'd be driving at 25kph max and 10kph average speed. The passage where you travel from the overbridge near Bayappanahalli to the Mahadevpura ORR through KR Puram comes to mind. Atleast the Auto Emergency Braking in my XUV 700 does not brake aggressively at that speed. Maybe Tuscon has a different setting.

The incident in the ramp is an edge case. With any such system there will be false triggers. Anyway you are supposed to go at 20kph inside an apartment complex. Whatever auto braking does it won't decelerate at more than 1g since at higher deceleration ABS will kick in. What damage will this braking cause at 20kph?
An aggressive breaking even at 25 kmph highly increases the chances of rear ending by someone in this traffic scenario. As per him the breaking is aggressive . I do not have first hand experience so cant really comment on it. Also, this being a new tech getting in mass markets there would be bugs that need to be ironed out
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 22:43   #101
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
On highways is the key. At least on my Tiguan, AEB is active only below 30 kmph. Agree fully that we should have fines for people driving too slowly on highways or hogging the right lane at low speed. Most accidents are caused by slow traffic rather than smoothly flowing high speed traffic
In our country the average quality of human resources is only slightly better than available in our earlier tree-hopping ancestors; and, given the conditions of law enforcement no amount of stipulated fine can do much to this stock of operators on the road. The best thing would be to alert as much as possible and drive defensively with gigantic amount of forgiveness in head and equally great wish to let the animal kingdom flourish in numbers.
Old 10th November 2023, 10:20   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post

Agreed. The fact you mentioned is actually the 'Rule of thumb': One who hits from behind is the culprit.

It's not just a thumb rule. It's a clause in CMVR. See below. It's the following driver's job to maintain distance so he can stop " if the vehicle
ahead suddenly slows down or stops"

17. Keeping safe distance.- (1)A driver driving behind another vehicle shall keep sufficient distance,
commensurate with the traffic conditions, from the vehicle ahead, so as to be able to stop (pull up) safely if the vehicle
ahead suddenly slows down or stops.
(2) When being followed by another vehicle, not suddenly brake without a compelling reason.
(3)The driver shall during rainfall, snow or storm orice on the road due to severe weather conditions and during
other adverse weather conditions, further increase the distance from the vehicle ahead.

The corollary is that if you didn't brake without reason and the person behind hit you, it's not your fault and you can prove that in the motor vehicles accident tribunal. Get a rear dashcam, turn on Auto Emergency Braking if your car has it and drive prudently without worry. Worrying about getting rear ended due to AEB is like worrying about wearing a helmet because if you fall down you can get a slight neck sprain. People forget that the trade off is having a head injury which is almost always devastating.

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 10th November 2023 at 10:25.
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 10:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHUJNMC View Post
LOL! I keep safe distance in front, bikers feel its invitation space for them and sometimes even cars chip in.

Personally I have been advocate of autonomous braking to prevent pedestrian being run over by inattentive or Crook drivers drunk on power/animosity.

In Bangalore you won't find a car which is 6 month old and corners are not scratched.
Bikers, followed by auto drivers and cabbies are the safety challenges on the road as they sneak in to any tight space and then try to see the way forward.

But I would still say that Bangalore traffic sense is better than NCR having driven myself in both the places. Its just that the scratches there maynot be so evident as people buy white or silver colour cars in order for the inevitable scratches not to show up evidently. The road rage in NCT is also legendary with small arms drawn out at micro arguments.
Old 11th November 2023, 19:23   #104
Team-BHP Support

ADAS and it's inherent risk of getting rear ended.

I was very lucky that the auto behind me managed to save both of us.

bblost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 23:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
ADAS and it's inherent risk of getting rear ended.

I was very lucky that the auto behind me managed to save both of us.

https://Youtu.be/Nv-12PFOfSk
Had you already started breaking as soon the vehicle ahead slowed down? And the ADAS system activated later, despite you already breaking, assuming there'll be a impact?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks