Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2022, 12:17   #46

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Having experienced irregular emergency braking on my Tucson, I have made it a ritual to turn off the forward emergency braking every time I start my car. I don’t think ADAS is all that practical for our road conditions though it can be helpful and life saving at some point, I luckily got saved from getting my car getting rear ended twice that too on the highway!

Having said that it’s a pain to turn off the forward collision assist as it resets to the default setting every time you start the car (imagine explaining it to your driver).

The manufacturers must update or find a way so that it doesn’t revert back to its original setting just like the other ADAS settings.

I just fear what may happen on a bad day if I forget to turn it off.

Last edited by bimmerboy26 : 6th November 2022 at 12:21.
Old 6th November 2022, 12:42   #47
BHPian

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Generally, who is responsible for ADAS related accidents or deaths ? Owner or manufacturer ?
Ideally The manufacturer. But the burden of proof that ADAS only caused it is very high in developed countries. In India, proving such a thing will be time consuming and quite a headache!

Therefore, practically in India, its the owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Just like the sunroof phenomenon, bragging rights!
And, the average Indian consumer is mostly unaware of technical nitty gritty and loves the bling & badges.

The manufacturer uses "ADAS et al" to justify the highest-end variant with exorbitant pricing.

Simple as that!
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 12:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
this is not true. In most countries there are well defined "brake checking" laws. On highways…
On highways is the key. At least on my Tiguan, AEB is active only below 30 kmph. Agree fully that we should have fines for people driving too slowly on highways or hogging the right lane at low speed. Most accidents are caused by slow traffic rather than smoothly flowing high speed traffic
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 12:57   #49
BHPian

Is it possible to selectively activate a particular feature of ADAS and disable others? For example, I may want to use only Adaptive Cruise Control but not others?
Old 6th November 2022, 13:41   #50
BHPian

The similarity between ADAS in cars and MCAS in Boeing's 737 MAX planes, which caused two crashes and led to the aircraft being grounded for nearly two years, is uncanny!
captain.torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 15:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
Is it possible to selectively activate a particular feature of ADAS and disable others? For example, I may want to use only Adaptive Cruise Control but not others?
It is possible to switch off or choose various ADAS features. You can even change it to just an alarm and no intervention, or switch it off altogether. However, you are forced to switch it off manually every time you restart the car. This feature is both for safety and legal reasons. This varies between manufacturers and their models.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) relies on ADAS features such as Braking and Lane Keep Assist. So its' not possible to disable ADAS and use ACC at the same time. Without those features, it is just like normal cruise control, i.e. the system has control on only the accelerator to increase and decrease speed.
Old 6th November 2022, 15:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

I really don't like ADAS at all. Here in US it makes people lazy (more lazy maybe) and gives them an excuse to do everything else while driving, except driving! Sometimes I have to go into Boston for work and I take the bus. It is rare that a driver is not on their cellphone, texting or scrolling while driving. It may not cause any accidents when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic but it also gives them the confidence to do this when they are cruising down the freeway or driving down rural roads. That's when the unexpected can catch them out and can be fatal.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 15:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
The similarity between ADAS in cars and MCAS in Boeing's 737 MAX planes, which caused two crashes and led to the aircraft being grounded for nearly two years, is uncanny!
I guess it is more akin to TCAS , RNAV kind of systems. MCAS is more akin to FBW protection systems, designed to prevent excursion outside the design envelope. The only semblance is the relative lack of maturity of the system.
Old 6th November 2022, 16:10   #54
BHPian

VW T-Roc 2020 model, CBU in India, comes with some of the driver assistance systems:
  • Front Assist
  • Lane Assist
  • Manoeuvre Braking
Having driven the car for more than 2 years , I found the Front Assist being useful. It warns when the car is getting closer to the vehicle in the front. If this warning is ignored then the vehicle will nudge, by momentarily applying the brakes. If that is ignored as well, then the car will apply brakes to prevent collision. I have had warning scenarios and few times the first nudge. In a way it prevents you from doing mistakes, that we tend to do, even if have in general safer driving habits. The problem really is in cities where there are unexpected pedestrian and two-wheelers crossing.

I have had incidents where the car rammed on the brakes and fully stopped. But luckily so far one hit my car from the rear. Touch wood. But the braking not only alarmed the passengers but also the people around !!
But I know of some T-Roc owners who were rear ended, badly ! This really puts one into dilemma - whether to enable it or disable it!? ( unfortunately I seem to have lost the dashcam record of the incidents )

The Front also seems not to work sometimes. Here is an example of two morons - one overtaking from left ( & because of the truck, realizes late that there a junction ahead ) and another crossing the junction on a highway with traffic, right in front of the truck !

Lane assist kicks in, once the car crosses 65 kmph and de-activates when the speed drops below 60 kmph. I am not sure if the feature is quite useful in isolation. Perhaps it would work better with ACC. But the T-Roc does not come with ACC! But then, I would say, it eases the driving on highways, taking off some load of steering manoeuvres. But it also is a mild hindrance when changing lanes. If we use indicators then there is no resistance. I am used to using indicators while changing lanes though.

The manoeuvre braking intervention happens when the speed is less than 10 kmph. The system has protected the car from hitting a pillar while reversing. So the bumper was saved. On the hand the car also braked in tall grass. Nonetheless it has erred, if we want to call it as, on the preventive side. So its okay.

So far I have not turned off these systems. But then I am also making driving style adjustments given the driving conditions within our country. But I would say, it has made me even more safer driver.

Last edited by tristis2008 : 6th November 2022 at 16:27.
Old 6th November 2022, 16:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Pre-emptive braking feature of ADAS is definitely a curse in the city, especially considering the chaotic Indian traffic. I
FCA doesn't (shouldn't) activate that frequently, or easily. In fact, I have tried to demonstrate it to my friends, but my instincts doesn't allow to go fast and close to a vehicle in front, and your mind automatically brakes. Which means, FCA reacts even later than my threshold(more than as a human what I find dangerous). So, it doesn't activate that easily AFAIK. (I am talking about VW here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy26 View Post
Having experienced irregular emergency braking on my Tucson...
Having said that it’s a pain to turn off the forward collision assist as it resets to the default setting every time you start the car (imagine explaining it to your driver).
But reading these comments, it looks like Hyundai has particularly made a terrible tune and UX for its ADAS features. And can mostly agree with the logical thinking behind asking it to be disabled.
narayanbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 16:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) relies on ADAS features such as Braking and Lane Keep Assist. So its' not possible to disable ADAS and use ACC at the same time. Without those features, it is just like normal cruise control, i.e. the system has control on only the accelerator to increase and decrease speed.
So it means AEB should be in active mode for ACC to work. But to me AEB is dangerous on our roads and driving style!
Old 6th November 2022, 16:31   #57
BHPian

I have been driving a XUV700 in Delhi traffic for a year now with full ADAS suite enabled. There has been only one instance of AEB where it saved me from a potential accident by braking a second before I would have reacted ( car in front slammed the brakes at 100kph on an expressway )

Reading the posts in this thread, I feel it's more to do with the way ADAS has been calibrated for Indian driving conditions than the technology that's at fault.
akg7091 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 16:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
VW T-Roc 2020 model, CBU in India, comes with some of the driver assistance systems:
  • Front Assist
  • Lane Assist
  • Manoeuvre Braking
Having driven the car for more than 2 years , I found the Front Assist being useful.
The problem really is in cities where there are unexpected pedestrian and two-wheelers crossing.

I have had incidents where the car rammed on the brakes and fully stopped.

So far I have not turned off these systems. But then I am also making driving style adjustments given the driving conditions within our country. But I would say, it has made me even more safer driver.
Nice to know this. Wasn't aware the T-Roc came with these features. Good on VW to at least bring it here in its CBU.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 16:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

ADAS as a superior form of cruise control is immensely helpful given the boring highways we have now. It all depends on who has done the testing for Indian conditions and who has been cutting back on the budget.

Given the number of ADAS related stunts by XUV drivers / owners I happened to see online , safe to say that the tech works and has potential, just don't mistake it for autonomous driving - which as we know has it's flaws.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 17:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

ADAS would be very relevant and welcome if it stuck to 'assist' or 'warn' but very disruptive to traffic at large (in Indian context) if it 'acts' basis the logic fed to the system.

The ADAS examples quoted earlier mention that the the driver (of the car in question) was caught by surprise, there is absolutely no doubt that the vehicle trailing this very car would have been caught doubly by surprise. I do not buy the logic of rear end collision guilty party theory with ADAS in the picture.

All said, if ADAS cause incidents (panic braking) and rear end collisions; then it questions the very purpose of introducing such a feature in the first place. Other usually encountered examples of the car ahead braking suddenly (moron, not ADAS triggered)- last minute decision to halt at a wayside joint, lights changing to red etc are still not as severe to the trailing car, as an ADAS triggered panic brake to a full halt
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks