Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2023, 20:04   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I maybe wrong here, but i feel ADAS is overkill in city limits. We all are very focussed inside city due to traffic density and the way our 2/3 wheelers and jaywalkers behave.
My daily commute to office is about 38 kms (round trip).
Of this about 25 kms are on a road with a speed limit of 120 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
I don't turn off the auto emergency braking feature any longer and rely on it as an additional useful driving aid that can help prevent accidents. But this is just my opinion and I understand this feature of ADAS may not work for everyone.
I LOVED every word in your post.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 09:21   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: ADAS dangerous in India | Sudden, unexpected braking causes rear-end collision

Yesterday I experienced Tucson ADAS kicking in twice, both times inappropriately.

First: A car was trying to overtake me from the left, and it came a little close when it was still behind me in the next lane. The ADAS braked a little to shed some speed, I have no idea how it helped, other than to scare the car right behind me and also myself. I don't remember the time, so I won't be able to pull out the video of that.

Second: This time I remember the location, so I was able to locate the video easily. I was passing next to a cow, and ADAS kicked in hard, the Brrrrrr sound of braking and the collision warning is captured by the dashcam. The speed reduced from 52kmph to 35kmph. I have removed the following video since I was cursing loudly...

Last edited by Samurai : 12th December 2023 at 09:34.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:30   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I experienced Tucson ADAS kicking in twice, both times inappropriately.

Second: This time I remember the location, so I was able to locate the video easily. I was passing next to a cow, and ADAS kicked in hard, the Brrrrrr sound of braking and the collision warning is captured by the dashcam. The speed reduced from 52kmph to 35kmph. I have removed the following video since I was cursing loudly...

https://Youtu.be/tvr7FtCgU0A
ADAS is designed to recognise vehicles and humans and assumes that nothing else exists on roads. Probably time that someone adapts ADAS for Indian road conditions with cows, dogs etc and also the lack of lane discipline, vehicles running closer to each other and offers it to vehicles sold in India- I would say it is a good start-up opportunity.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
ADAS is designed to recognise vehicles and humans and assumes that nothing else exists on roads. Probably time that someone adapts ADAS for Indian road conditions with cows, dogs etc and also the lack of lane discipline, vehicles running closer to each other and offers it to vehicles sold in India- I would say it is a good start-up opportunity.
Will be difficult. How do you separate people who drive very close like they usually do here or if someone is close on their way to cause an accident ? It cannot adapt to the other guy's thinking. Thats their driving style Most of the time its like who will blink first on 2 way roads.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 12th December 2023 at 10:38.
Old 12th December 2023, 11:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Second: This time I remember the location, so I was able to locate the video easily. I was passing next to a cow, and ADAS kicked in hard, the Brrrrrr sound of braking and the collision warning is captured by the dashcam.
To me it seemed that just before the Thar passed, you instinctively kept a bit left which put you in a direct collision course with the cow ahead(second one) and hence ADAS braked. When you steered right once the Thar had passed now your direction of travel wasn't obstructed and hence the braking didn't continue.

My point is that you knew that once the Thar passes you'll be back on the correct course but ADAS didn't.
Hence with our roads where the variables are very high and the space/margins very low, ADAS is best switched-off if equipped.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 13:45   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Will be difficult. How do you separate people who drive very close like they usually do here or if someone is close on their way to cause an accident ? It cannot adapt to the other guy's thinking. Thats their driving style Most of the time its like who will blink first on 2 way roads.
That would be the beauty of it! It should be made mandatory on all vehicles in India. Vehicle should not start if it is disabled or non operational. It would force drivers to keep safe distance and drive a little safer. Try an unsafe overtake and the vehicle brakes! Lane keep assist should also give a few warnings and then stop the vehicle if the person stays out of a lane for more than a few seconds. This is the only way to create some discipline and knowledge of traffic rules.
Old 12th December 2023, 14:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
It should be made mandatory on all vehicles in India.
Not feasible at all and I don't know of place which mandates it for obvious reasons.
For the purpose of debate let's say even if it does become mandatory, then it would still be only for 4 wheels and above.
2 wheelers, cyclists, pedestrians and animals can't be ADAS equipped considering the costs and issues for 2 wheelers and possibility on others
I understand your sentiment but ground reality is very different.

ADAS is a safety net which needs some prerequisites to function which is driving sense and discipline which makes the traffic predictable and is not a tool to force people to behave by virtue of threat.
Somehow there seems to be a feeling that ADAS is a safety measure in our traffic which it isn't.

The solution is something the enforcing authorities have been running away from since we became independent and effective driver education, training and enforcement is the only way forward.

Last edited by shancz : 12th December 2023 at 14:41. Reason: add snt
Old 12th December 2023, 15:05   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
To me it seemed that just before the Thar passed, you instinctively kept a bit left which put you in a direct collision course with the cow ahead(second one) and hence ADAS braked. When you steered right once the Thar had passed now your direction of travel wasn't obstructed and hence the braking didn't continue.
Yes, I think this is what happened. But this is the reality of Indian roads, isn't it?

If the cars behind ADAS enabled cars are not keeping a good distance, there would be an accident.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:18   #129
BHPian

Quote:

I do not think ADAS did anything inappropriate. If had the Jeep slowed down you would not have got the space to avoid hitting the cow head on. Its not a good idea to overly rely on the fellow road users actions for our safety. I feel ADAS did what it was meant to do, ie risk mitigation.
Old 12th December 2023, 15:27   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I think this is what happened. But this is the reality of Indian roads, isn't it?
Absolutely, that's why I am against its use on our roads and the mindless push by manufacturers on us.
It's like the sunroof with not even a feel good benefit and potentially hazardous consequences for road users in and around the vehicle.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:38   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
I do not think ADAS did anything inappropriate. If had the Jeep slowed down you would not have got the space to avoid hitting the cow head on.
You mean I would have hit the cow head on? Sorry, I don't agree with that analysis. The cow was outside the road, and I had enough space to stay on the roads. I was merely putting extra distance between my car and the Thar. I had enough clearance to straighten the car even if the Thar had stopped instantly. You are thinking like the ADAS right now, as if there is no driver in the car. But I was very much there.

Quote:
Its not a good idea to overly rely on the fellow road users actions for our safety.
I never do, whatever gave you that idea?

Quote:
I feel ADAS did what it was meant to do, ie risk mitigation.
In the above case, it increased the risk, instead of reducing. In order to avoid triggering the ADAS in the above case, I would have had to slow down drastically whenever a cow or a human is standing close to the road. That would be all the time in these roads.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:51   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Was casually checking out for a potential candidate for a future purchase and really liked the Elevate but the moment I saw AEB right from the V variant this was a deal breaker.

Deal breaker ? Seriously ? In my case, Yes.
I did make peace with the fact that I will have to pay for ADAS without using it but the deal breaker is that it comes on every time.

What if in a hurry I forget to switch it off from some menu option ?
What if my father, uncle or a driver took it out without knowing what the car is capable of ?
In XUV7OO, we can keep AEBS off.

I always keep AEBS off and keep the collision warning system, lane change assist e.t.c.; on. This gives me enough time to take appropriate action.

Mind you AEBS doesn't come as default unless selected. The option we select are stored and thus avoids changing each time you start the vehicle. AFAIK it should be the same in all vehicles with ADAS suite. Just check it out with the dealer or sales guy.

Quote:
In the above case, it increased the risk, instead of reducing. In order to avoid triggering the ADAS in the above case, I would have had to slow down drastically whenever a cow or a human is standing close to the road. That would be all the time in these roads.

After watching multiple times, I feel it was the Jeep that caused the system to react in such a way. To avoid the first cow you veered slightly towards the right, thus leading toward the oncoming jeep/traffic for a split second. Yes, such an anomaly is dangerous.

Last edited by Vasuki : 12th December 2023 at 16:02.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 17:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
In XUV7OO, we can keep AEBS off.
This is what I expect to happen across the board but the Honda Sensing at least on Elevate doesn't.
Here's an excerpt from page 17 of the user-manual.
Source : TeamBHP : Honda Elevate Review (Honda Elevate Review)

Name:  cmbs_deact.png
Views: 182
Size:  28.5 KB

Hence my favorite model to buy for the City is the SV(base, without Honda Sensing) and swap out the stock steel wheels and tyres to cool alloys with wider rubber.
Thank You Honda for such a VFM model and Honda Sensing to make me look at the base model in a different light

Last edited by shancz : 12th December 2023 at 17:10. Reason: added city sv
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 19:04   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, that's why I am against its use on our roads and the mindless push by manufacturers on us.
It's like a sunroof with not even a feel-good benefit and potentially hazardous consequences for road users in and around the vehicle.
Most of these ADAS modules are based on computer vision and fusion of active sensors like Lidar / Radar. The detection algorithms are getting more and more accurate( most of the low-end modules are still not using top-of-the-line algorithms which require GPUs) but decision/control algorithms are still rule-based and this inherently creates errors because driving involves hierarchical planning.

Computer vision is by itself complex due to non-linear (non-Euclidean) projection of 3d space to 2d camera Coordinates ( you are losing depth information, that 3rd coordinate which is very crucial in human decision making ). This creates a lot of noisy estimation which will be dangerous in these non-ideal boundary conditions.

Tesla’s approach is to reconstruct the 3d world out of multiple cameras and offline training of models on data sampled from that 3d model, and I have no clue on methods they employed on control tasks

Last edited by greyhound82 : 12th December 2023 at 19:24. Reason: Edited for more clarity
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 20:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

If you all think ADAS in cars is an issue...

We are about 3-5 years from a Successful commercial ADAS on a motorbike. Imagine, 200-300 bikes stuck on silkboard flyover each wondering why their bikes are not moving forward (or backword too, on the up-ramp).

PS - If BS6 mandated a ECM/Injector/CATCON in a TVS Moped, ADAS on a bike will come in 5-7 years too.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks