Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 15:24   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Which place is TN 70? I am guessing, some place near Hosur, or Hosur itself.

Over the last few years, a lot of vehicles (private as well as commercial) I see around Sarjapur town are TN 70 registered. Believe me, not a single one is driven sanely. Be it a tipper or a sedan, they are always looking for overtaking any vehicle in front of them, without showing least concern to other road users.

Most of the times when I drive to office, it so happens that there would be one slow moving truck, followed by a number of cars that are waiting for oncoming traffic pass to overtake the truck. I go and join the queue. I'd expect a car behind me to follow me.

Most people follow the queue rules. The only exceptions are cabs and TN 70 vehicles. Even tippers (without load) try overtaking the cars ahead of them.

I think the reason is the frustration of having to drive all the way from Hosur to Whitefield (some 40 km) for work everyday.

A lot of new residential projects have come around Hosur, and taxes for houses as well as vehicles should be lesser in TN. This is quite tempting for those who work in south eastern part of Bangalore.
Old 19th November 2012, 15:42   #4592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
One of the worst kind of behaviour that gets on my nerves is breaking a queue by many rogue drivers
I think that the British and Canadians are the most able when it comes to forming an orderly line; which is why they've made it a part of their citizenship test. I've seen them do it, rain, snow or 10 below, they'll follow it religiously. We don't have any of those extremes here and yet we don't do it.

I confronted a 50ish couple at Jayanagar food world last week for breaking the queue. She very simply said that " there's no sign anywhere telling us to stand in a queue; which is why I won't ". I had no choice but to make way for them. I'm sure they do the same at every other queue they find themselves at.

Last edited by vinu_h : 19th November 2012 at 15:46. Reason: Add'l info
Old 19th November 2012, 17:45   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I think that the British and Canadians are the most able when it comes to forming an orderly line; which is why they've made it a part of their citizenship test. I've seen them do it, rain, snow or 10 below, they'll follow it religiously. We don't have any of those extremes here and yet we don't do it.

I confronted a 50ish couple at Jayanagar food world last week for breaking the queue. She very simply said that " there's no sign anywhere telling us to stand in a queue; which is why I won't ". I had no choice but to make way for them. I'm sure they do the same at every other queue they find themselves at.
It really annoys me when someone jumps queue. For some reason it tends to provoke me. You should have told her that there are no signs for lots of other things that people are expected to follow.

Last week on my return from Chennai, was waiting at the tollgate to take the BETL. Due to the sudden closure of the lane I was in the toll assistant diverted me to join the adjacent lane. The car coming on that lane yielded way for me to merge. I acknowledged and joined in front of him. The moment it happened the car behind me ( a black santro with KA registration I think, could not see all complete number) just tailgated me and joined the queue ahead of the guy who gave way for me. This despite the fact that the guy who gave way honked and indicated that he wants to come. I could see that it was chauffeur driven (an old one) but the passenger on the front who seemed like an educated one was smirking. I am sure the poor guy who gave me way would think twice from now on. I was driving slowly below the speed limit to get a better view of this stupid, but could not get to see him somehow.
Old 19th November 2012, 22:37   #4594
Senior - BHPian

A slew of bad drivers carrying dangerous long objects or heavy loads. They are quite harmful to pedestrians in case of an accident. They don't wear helmets also. Some of their helmets are hung on the rear view mirrors. Quite common on Kerala roads now a days. Another dangerous aspect is that they occasionally change this to the other hand.
The guy in the fourth photo has a kid sitting in front. Pity them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad3.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad4.jpg  

Old 19th November 2012, 22:54   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A slew of bad drivers carrying dangerous long objects or heavy loads. They are quite harmful to pedestrians in case of an accident. They don't wear helmets also. Some of their helmets are hung on the rear view mirrors. Quite common on Kerala roads now a days. Another dangerous aspect is that they occasionally change this to the other hand.
The guy in the fourth photo has a kid sitting in front. Pity them.
Does Ernakulam Traffic Police have a Facebook page ? If not, you could try emailing these photos to the concerned police station.

FYI - >80% of the violators that I've reported, have stopped parking their cars/bikes on the footpath. Goes to show that Bangalore Traffic Police issues challans based on the photos people send to them. That is the motivation I was looking for. I will now double my efforts and get more vehciles off the footpaths.
vinu_h is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 23:34   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf
Which place is TN 70? I am guessing, some place near Hosur, or Hosur itself.

Over the last few years, a lot of vehicles (private as well as commercial) I see around Sarjapur town are TN 70 registered. Believe me, not a single one is driven sanely. Be it a tipper or a sedan, they are always looking for overtaking any vehicle in front of them, without showing least concern to other road users.
If you observe carefully, vehicles from the cities are driven sanely when compared to the ones from sub urban and rural areas.. well,that's as far as i'm concerned. That's because, the smaller towns have lesser vehicles and roads are also kind of free, as a result of which they tend to floor it every now and then. This is very common in south Tamil Nadu and also in Kerala. I had recently been to kochi and munnar, Oh boy! The buses and the cars are driven so rashly even on the dangerous and curvy ghat roads! They hardly touch the brakes in the corners! It was a terrifying experience!
Old 20th November 2012, 13:09   #4597
Senior - BHPian

No point generalizing things. Bad drivers exist everywhere. Period. Nothing to do with cities or rural areas.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:15   #4598
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr
No point generalizing things. Bad drivers exist everywhere. Period. Nothing to do with cities or rural areas.
Coming back home at 1835 hrs today.
Near Agara lake.
A beige I10 with a TBHP Got Bhp? Sticker, ocertakes me aggressively from the left. I was on the inner lane and was forced to brake.
Totally unacceptable behaviour. I was so hassled I forgot to take his number.

Immediately after that a foolish person in a white I 20 again with the same sticker, blundering along at about 35kmph in the extreme right hand lane. And he wasnt turning anywhere along that road because he came along all the way to the Agara Flyover near BDA complex and then only, turned right. Again I did not take his number...
Old 21st November 2012, 02:51   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Spot on.

I have driven many times on rural roads and it's not even half as hectic and mind numbing as driving on urban roads. One has to take in account that the people in rural areas don't venture out daily on the roads as we do in cities. Hence they take it more seriously every time they do.

But beware of the tractor-wallahs on the highway, especially when they are hauling hay, they won't be able to see even a jumbo-jet behind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4233667354_c285651208.jpg  

Old 21st November 2012, 08:22   #4600
Distinguished - BHPian

A moron in a Brio with an L sign on Hinjewadi main road after 9 pm last night, when the traffic was light, insisted on hogging the right lane and doing 35 kmph. I was right behind him and assumed he would give way but the guy started flashing his right indicator instead (there is no turn anywhere on that stretch). I was confused so stayed behind him and then people started overtaking me dangerously from my left so had to wait till the left lane was clear and then overtook him from the left myself.

He was still flashing his right indicator doing 35 after I'd zoomed off. I wonder what goes on in such people's brains.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:37   #4601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
A moron in a Brio with an L sign on Hinjewadi main road after 9 pm last night, when the traffic was light, insisted on hogging the right lane and doing 35 kmph. I was right behind him and assumed he would give way but the guy started flashing his right indicator instead (there is no turn anywhere on that stretch). I was confused so stayed behind him and then people started overtaking me dangerously from my left so had to wait till the left lane was clear and then overtook him from the left myself.

He was still flashing his right indicator doing 35 after I'd zoomed off. I wonder what goes on in such people's brains.
Its simple, their teachers were not the best ones or this fellow was a bad student and did not learn road manners or traffic sense.

Another Bad Driving technic which though in existence from time immemorial but has started happening to me more often (blame it on Murphy) is a car putting lane changing indicators and just changing the lanes without looking in the ovrm on who is behind, all the time I end up braking to avoid any collisions, well as of now I am taking this with a pinch of salt. No point raising any ho-ha.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:30   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Most driving schools will coach you just to get a license. Driving sense and common sense? Who teaches those. Hate it when i see driving school cars with a full load, not stopping at the stop line, no indicators while turning, driving fast through orange light across big junctions. sigh.

edit: that tractor is a sight to behold indeed
Old 21st November 2012, 10:40   #4603
Senior - BHPian

Might be irony, but the fact is, school buses and driving school cars are the most dangerous and ill-mannered ones we see on road.
99% of the school buses won’t give you any indication on whether they are slowing down, stopping to pick up kids, or otherwise, he is simply not in the 'right mood'.
Seeing a school bus, we generally tend to give a little respect, but this guy will suddenly stop on the middle of the road, and since the school stops are very random, will have no way to identify whether he is stopping for his needs, or due to a block.

Driving school cars, drive either atrociously slow, or insanely fast depending on who is driving. Forget signals, most of them are not even in an ok state of road worthiness.

It’s sad, because people drive on roads, depending on their state of mind/need rather than based on rules and etiquette.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:41   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.singh View Post
Spot on.

I have driven many times on rural roads and it's not even half as hectic and mind numbing as driving on urban roads. One has to take in account that the people in rural areas don't venture out daily on the roads as we do in cities. Hence they take it more seriously every time they do.

But beware of the tractor-wallahs on the highway, especially when they are hauling hay, they won't be able to see even a jumbo-jet behind them.
From where did you get that!
Hilarious. Forget a RVM, the driver would have to get down and check anyone behind before making a turn(if at all they check!).

From the pic i thin it is carrying a long trailer. Is it?

How can a tractor pull up such heavy loads, and that too driving in the right lane. He must not be doing anything above 20-25kph.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:53   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
99% of the school buses won’t give you any indication on whether they are slowing down, stopping to pick up kids, or otherwise, he is simply not in the 'right mood'.
Considering the cargo they're carrying they should be the most careful ones on the road. The real reason is that, the driver is put on a very very tight schedule. Kids would be late for their lessons if the bus arrived late.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks