Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 15:16   #6091
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday around 11:15 AM, had a near miss with a red Omni van ferrying young school-kids near Jayanagar iStore junction on ORR (the right turn near the public park, adjacent to Positive Homeopathy). The driver was on the phone, and driving on the left most lane, and suddenly realized he was about to miss his right turn. Swings to the right wildly, misses my stationary car (waiting to take a right) by a few inches, and then stands on the brakes to avoid a head-on collision with a tanker coming from the right side road. The kids are thrown around in the van, some even bump heads and start crying. This guy just shouts at them to shut up, continues his phone conversation and swings around the tanker, narrowly missing a two wheeler behind it and moves on.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th March 2014 at 15:18.
Old 31st March 2014, 07:59   #6092
BHPian

Saw this hit youtube video of a Florida woman who filmed a truck driver who was tailgating her. The angry truck driver loses control after passing the woman and crashes in to a pole.

Old 31st March 2014, 13:47   #6093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Saw this hit Youtube video of a Florida woman who filmed a truck driver who was tailgating her. The angry truck driver loses control after passing the woman and crashes in to a pole...
The video does NOT work!
Old 31st March 2014, 14:08   #6094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The video does NOT work!
Sorry, not sure why youtube link is coming incorrectly. You can search for "instant karma" in youtube.

Also, a CNET article on the topic, which also contains the link to the video: http://www.cnet.com/news/drivers-pho...instant-karma/
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 19:59   #6095
Senior - BHPian

Spotted one today - the Nano guy

Finally, dealt with him nicely at the tool booth (End of the video)

Note: There is no road rage or racing in this video. I didn't even look at him and followed my normal driving.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st April 2014 at 20:01.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:16   #6096
Senior - BHPian

^^^Nano guy got so offended by your overtaking him that he goes about overtaking you and others from the left, putting himself and others at serious risk.
As if overtaking from the left was itself not wrong, he is doing all this idiocy on a single-lane each-way road.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd April 2014 at 11:38.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:32   #6097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Nano guy got so offended by your overtaking him that he goes about overtaking you and others from the left, putting himself and others at serious risk. And on top of this, all this on a single-lane each-way road.
This is a new trend catching up in Kerala roads. Overtaking through the left while you move a little to the right to see if there's an open stretch to overtake the truck in front of you.

Last week, while driving towards Kochi, I encountered a similar dimwit driving a KL-7 registered WagonR. The 4-laning is in progress between Palakkad and Vadakkenchery, where there are quite a few diversions. This not-so-gentleman was in such a tearing hurry that he nosed his way through the left, while I was trying to overtake a car-carrier truck. When the road cleared, the truck moved a little to the left, to let me overtake, and at the same time, the WagonR got pushed off the road. I'm sure it wasn't quite smooth for him. Served him right.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:57   #6098
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I can still understand that in the practical world, there might be people who get offended when overtaken by a Nano...but this guy turns the table!
Looks like he might not have been able to catch up after you drove from the toll booth.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:29   #6099
Team-BHP Support

This is a common sight here:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20140326_12_26_20_pro.jpg

And this was on the 4-lane NH-6! Gujarat has some of the best roads in the country but poor traffic sense.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd April 2014 at 13:53. Reason: post edited. please avoid using cuss words
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:02   #6100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wonder how the Nano user got his driving license when he does not follow simple road ethics.

Note from Support - Please delete the video link when you quote a post containing a video. Quoting such a post as is, inconveniences small screen and mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd April 2014 at 13:56.
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:53   #6101
BHPian

Quote:

Note: There is no road rage or racing in this video. I didn't even look at him and followed my normal driving.
Quote:
^^^Nano guy got so offended by your overtaking him that he goes about overtaking you and others from the left, putting himself and others at serious risk.
As if overtaking from the left was itself not wrong, he is doing all this idiocy on a single-lane each-way road.

The Nano guy was driving correctly as demonstrated in the Nano ads on TV. It is TATA Motors that need to be blamed for making such ads and encouraging such stupidity.

/sarcasm

I don't understand why people are so inconsiderate on road these days ? It is as if they will get reimbursed in $$ for saving few seconds off their travel time ( if at all they save in the first place).

@clevermax :I love what you did( seriously) , but if the nano guy brushed your car and if your car happened to be in the premium zone, it would be a disaster for you. Because there is very little chance that the nano guy would have paid and even lower chance to claim via 3rd party insurance cover .
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:51   #6102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^Nano guy got so offended by your overtaking him that he goes about overtaking you and others from the left,
I wonder how he got offended by my overtaking.. I did it without hindering his way or slowing him down or putting him at risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ I can still understand that in the practical world, there might be people who get offended when overtaken by a Nano...but this guy turns the table!
Looks like he might not have been able to catch up after you drove from the toll booth.
I tried to lose him after the toll booth and successfully put him way behind in my RVM.

One should not get offended by a Nano overtaking you in this kind of traffic, and I didn't. More than Nanos, it is the Auto rickshaws that overtake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
The Nano guy was driving correctly as demonstrated in the Nano ads on TV.
I wanted to tell him that he's driving it worse than an Auto wala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
@clevermax :I love what you did( seriously) , but if the nano guy brushed your car and if your car happened to be in the premium zone, it would be a disaster for you. Because there is very little chance that the nano guy would have paid and even lower chance to claim via 3rd party insurance cover .
Thanks
Our RVMs made contact, but it was his RVM that got folded..! Mine is a Palio

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd April 2014 at 14:53.
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:28   #6103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
I wonder how he got offended by my overtaking.. I did it without hindering his way or slowing him down or putting him at risk!
Not offended due to you overtaking wrongly. But the usual ego-trip kind of being offended. Eg. my sister mentions how most guys get offended when she overtakes them on our M800 leading to an immediate transformation in their driving behaviour - folks who till then were driving sedately/slowly would speed up to overtake her back.
They see it as a double insult - how can a woman overtake macho-me and that too in an M800.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:07   #6104
BHPian

Quote:
Not offended due to you overtaking wrongly. But the usual ego-trip kind of being offended.
Er, what was the wrong overtaking there? I would like to know.
The OP overtook the nano over the divided median lines (perfectly ok) and there was enough gap to merge properly without squishing the overtaken car.
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:17   #6105
Distinguished - BHPian

We can see a lot of bikers overtaking on the left. I suspect that quite a few nano drivers have moved up from a bike. Overtaking on the left seems to be considered standard practice, even correct practice, by bikers, who are often useless at assessing the actual danger in their manoeuvres (danger? what's that?). They even line up to overtake on the left when there is plenty of room on the right. They even do it on flyovers with a lethal drop on one side.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed