Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 15:41   #6121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth
However in the video it looked as though you were engaged in some spirited driving and made a sudden lane change to overtake.
The part where clevermax overtakes the truck 'could' be construed as a sudden lane-change and done from too close behind the truck, but then we have only so much visibility into the situation from the video. Possibly he had a clear view of oncoming traffic and enough gap from the truck during the manouevre.

BTW, it is interesting how sound adds a new dimension to our perception. I first saw this video sans audio & the Nano looked clearly/fully at fault. Then when folks mentioned about the neat exhaust-sound of the Palio, wheel-spin etc, I viewed the video again with audio enabled. And then, while the Nano still remains at fault for wrong overtaking, the sound of clevermax's car seems to give a slightly different impression (of spirited driving, which IMO could be attributed mostly to the exhaust note).

BTW, the Nano guy seriously scared (and put in danger) the Swift guy, by making him move to oncoming-traffic lane.
Old 12th April 2014, 20:18   #6122
BHPian

Well done video

500ContyCruiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 22:28   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We can see a lot of bikers overtaking on the left. I suspect that quite a few nano drivers have moved up from a bike. Overtaking on the left seems to be considered standard practice, even correct practice, by bikers,
Very much true. What is more dangerous is trying to squeeze in between the car which was overtaken through the left and the car in front of it and then trying to overtake it through the right side, kind of zigzagging.. This was what the Nano guy in clevermax's video was attempting to do.

This habit is common among bikers and this is now catching on amongst four wheeler drivers too.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:40   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Bad driving instances spotted on the evening of 6-Apr (Sunday) on NH47 between Oachira and Sakthikulangara (KL), while driving to Kollam with family in our A-Star_AT :

1) I am behind a bus which is trailing a slow-moving truck. Lots of traffic coming from other direction makes it difficult to attempt an overtaking of the bus&truck combo on this 2-lane median-less road that masquerades as an NH. The i10 guy behind me is getting impatient as I can see in my RVM, but he is also not game to overtake the convoy. So he does what comes easy - overtakes me from the left and squeezes in between me and the bus, like a biker. Normally this would irritate me, but I ignore.

At the next T-junction, he puts on the hazard lights (as many do wrongly to indicate they are going-straight), but then keeps it on for the next 20kms or so till the Titanium-junction where he swiftly takes the left, with the hazard lights still blinking.

2) At Karunagapally town, the road widens up quite a bit, but the loads of people / bikes / buses etc criss-crossing the road in all possible directions negates any chances of driving quicker and so I slow down. There is an Etios behind me, driven by a wannabe F1-driver who is getting impatient. Even from the RVM, I can sense that this guy is to be careful with. He is thinking I am driving slowly on purpose and wants to overtake. What he does not see is the biker some 15 metres away in front of me on the left, who is attempting a perpendicular-to-the-road dart across. As I approach slowly, the biker has now crossed my side of the road and is trying to cross the other lane. By this time, Etios-man is royally pissed off and guns his Ferrari to overtake me, only to find the biker land right in front of him. Screech of brakes, a frightened-out-of-his-wits biker, surprised Etios guy, my shocked family etc, but luckily he does not hit the biker. It is now my turn to be irritated because his car's nose is just a few cms away from my driver door and he could have hit me due to his stupidity. I would really like to know what his bloody urgency is, but wifey senses my intention & asks to let go. Etios-man meanwhile has again gunned his car and moved on as if nothing happened.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:58   #6125
Team-BHP Support

^^^^What's worse than the bad driving is the 'no harm, no foul' approach of these morons. As long as there's no damage, these idiots don't care how close everyone involved (including their sorry selves) was to getting hurt, and continue with their rash behavior.

I can only hope they don't take innocent lives when (not if) their actions catch up with them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th April 2014 at 18:59.
Old 15th April 2014, 22:19   #6126
BHPian

Idk if this qualifies but I had to share this. Some days ago on the chandigarh - ludhiana road.
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2014, 07:47   #6127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Idk if this qualifies but I had to share this. Some days ago on the chandigarh - ludhiana road.
I wonder what kind of 'High' these people get by performing / practising these kind of stunts on a traffic infested roads. Why can't they go to an open ground and die there ?

My BP goes up for a toss when I see such idiots, lest they fall on me or my car or bike !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 16th April 2014 at 07:48.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 08:02   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
And this was on the 4-lane NH-6! Gujarat has some of the best roads in the country but poor traffic sense.
From my experience of driving here in Gujarat from the last two years, I would beg to differ on that. Gujarat has some of the best drivers on the highways where they believe in giving you way and everything. What is surprising to me is that they suddenly lose all that driving etiquette as soon as they enter city limits. I found Ahmedabad traffic to me really messed up and lawless for a Metro city.
Old 16th April 2014, 10:28   #6129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
That number plate looks OK to me. What's so faulty in it ? Unless you are looking forward to only IND number plates, which even I don't have !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
But I would still want to know from N.A.GTC, what's wrong with the number plate ?
The numbers are too thin and the font is not as prescribed by police, or DTP at least. I've got many people fined with such number plates by posting on DTP's FB page...
Old 19th April 2014, 18:56   #6130
Oxy
BHPian

Today at 11:45 AM at Manipal Hospital parking lot.

A silver Ritz KA 03 ML 8810 sporting the LTD and LCLC stickers on it's rear got on my nerves. The parking was full so cars were lined up and moving slowly towards the parking lot as the attendants were trying to accommodate as many cars as possible as and when already parked cars were moving out.

This fellow decides he's too cool to queue up, so he jumps the queue driving up the wrong side, from where cars are exiting the lot. His luck quickly runs out when an Indicab followed by two other cars have already started to exit.

Now we have the Indicab and two more cars behind it and this moron facing the Indicab. Adjacent to it is the entry queue where he should have been. Now he decides to argue with the Indicab guy and after some heated exchanges reverses a bit. At this point, on the adjacent queue one gentleman decides to accommodate him once the car ahead has moved. This guy then obliges, and as he is making his way to the right queue, bad mouths the Indicab guy when they are adjacent to each other. The Indicab guy gives it back and more time is wasted. Finally they move on after other cars start honking furiously.

Whoever you are, if and when you read this, I'd like to let you know that you are an utter disgrace to this lovely community. Please get rid of those TBHP stickers from your car.

Last edited by Oxy : 19th April 2014 at 18:58.
Oxy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 20:07   #6131
BHPian

However much I would like to presume that team BHP-ians are good drivers, my weekend experience point otherwise: Friday morning, on Mysore road, a Bolero with TBHP stickers was in a great hurry and was being an aggressive and erratic driver. On Kanakapura road today afternoon, a white Maruti Swift with TBHP stickers was 1) littering on the move - throwing plastic cups and other waste from a moving car and 2) driving dangerously.

I know from posts on this forum that oft times non BHP-ians drive with these stickers maligning reputation of good BHP-ians. Having seen enough of such rash instances, I was all for overlooking these too, but my fellow passengers were very disturbed watching these folks and insisted I post.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 22:43   #6132
BHPian

Spotted a bad and sick audi q7 driver near sindh society pune bearing mh14 .. 11 number white color Q7. Was retuning after dinner at shivsagar around 930pm tonight. This guy was with his friends perhaps and was driving very slow. I was coming from behind and seeing in left lane drive slow overtook him. God know what happened this idiot all of a sudden overtook me from left perhaps driving at maybe 90 and came in front of me and started to brake hard to stall me. This happened couple of minutes and then we came to a red light before Sindh society. I didn't look at the driver but my kids and hubby looked at him and started to laugh ..dunno why.. But then when green light happened, i didn't start ..waited for him to go, but this moron lunatic was still trying to show off his Q7 power. I slowed down as we were with kids and family. My hubby was furious but then better sense prevailed over us. After some time he slowed down so much that i had to honk continuously as he was trying to bully me. He then turned into Sindh society. What a moron.

Bhai whosoever or whomsoever or whatever you are... good luck next time, you better drive safe, Q7 is a expensive car and learn to drive it right and don't bully other's.

-RJ
roadjourno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 01:29   #6133
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly, these expensive SUVs are bringing an even worse breed of bully boys onto the roads than the moderate-priced ones did.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 07:05   #6134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sadly, these expensive SUVs are bringing an even worse breed of bully boys onto the roads than the moderate-priced ones did.
this is a really dangerous trend.This is not the only one of the kinds, there are other kinds too. Seeing fortuner in RVM, they tend to drive slower ahead. e.g imagine this is the lane marked by (|) | . |, the dot is where they tend to drive. Cannot overtake either properly. I wonder what the problem is. I think i need to enlist to learn evasive driving. Does anyone offer this training in mumbai or pune ?

I am very angry still but come to think of it, he was putting my kids and family's life in danger and other fellow motorists too. Sigh i think i need save and invest in IRONMAN 4x4 nudge guard .

I will do anything to protect me and my family if push comes to shove. Time to invest in those dashcams as well.

BTW: I am open to good ideas and suggestions. Off late these new kinds are being met most of the times if not sometimes. We know that they are going to be there.
Old 21st April 2014, 13:50   #6135
Distinguished - BHPian

I had one of those big Audi drivers trying to aggressively overtake me in this city just a few weeks ago. I don't have a problem with someone overtaking; I have a problem with aggressive tailgating and being pushed out of the way.

I know, I lecture myself regularly, safer to have these guys away in front than behind, but I'm human, and although it is not the safe option, my response to being bullied is not to get out of the way.

So far, I have not had a problem with another driver just because I overtook them, in the normal course of driving. Such a person must be puerile in the extreme. Perhaps sadly deficient in some other area of life?

With my wife's encouragement, I have made a lot of progress with "driving yoga," to stay calm and not react aggressively to provocation or stupidity. I really want to catch some bikers and ask them if they actually want to die today, and if so, would they kindly not use my car, and would they also think about how it will affect their families, but I say this more in sorrow than in anger, and of course, they are zig-zagging away in front, so I'll never get the chance. And I'm still working on my own aggression: I have a way to go yet.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st April 2014 at 13:55.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed