Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 10:52   #9316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Encountered this idiot Auto driver last weekend. I was going in a two-lane Uttarahalli main road in Bangalore near Chikkalsandra. People who know this road will know that overtaking is almost impossible on this stretch of the road. From my opposite side, this moron cam swerving wildly and was weaving through the traffic. I pulled to the left and almost stopped to allow this moron or else he would've nudged my car for sure. Also in the rear dashcam, you can see he drove past very close to a motorbike and a scooter.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:02   #9317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Encountered this idiot Auto driver last weekend. I was going in a two-lane Uttarahalli main road in Bangalore near Chikkalsandra. People who know this road will know that overtaking is almost impossible on this stretch of the road. From my opposite side, this moron cam swerving wildly and was weaving through the traffic. I pulled to the left and almost stopped to allow this moron or else he would've nudged my car for sure. Also in the rear dashcam, you can see he drove past very close to a motorbike and a scooter.
Give him a medal of honor by filing a few offences against him on public eye. I have been doing this from a while and have added quite a few offenses to such auto driver. Let them get flagged down by the cops some day and get stripped of whatever cash they have.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:27   #9318
Senior - BHPian

The national Highway 1 is becoming a death trap for stupid NCR drivers who do not a zilch of road sense, especially when they are hungry or have stomach filled up with food from Murthal, Sonipat. People slow down abruptly, change lanes without indication, vehicles cross roads from unmarked/ broken section.

In 2 trips in last 3 weeks, the number of times we had to apply the brakes was more than what we had to do in 100+ kms before reaching the spot.

Money can never get sense to most these days.
Old 13th June 2017, 19:20   #9319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The national Highway 1 is becoming a death trap for stupid NCR drivers who do not a zilch of road sense, especially when they are hungry or have stomach filled up with food from Murthal, Sonipat. People slow down abruptly, change lanes without indication, vehicles cross roads from unmarked/ broken section.

In 2 trips in last 3 weeks, the number of times we had to apply the brakes was more than what we had to do in 100+ kms before reaching the spot.

Money can never get sense to most these days.
The need of the day is to have camera's lining the highways as much as possible and/or other arrangements so as to torture people like this mentally and legally as well. Making of fine roads without this is kinda lost cause, or cause of swifter death.
Old 13th June 2017, 19:22   #9320
Senior - BHPian

A clear case of bad road manners, lack of common sense and presence of mind going for a walk.
dailydriver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 14:32   #9321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Wait, what? How was PrasannaDhana at fault for trying a legitimate single lane overtaking move with clear empty way ahead of him?
He's already said in 2 separate posts that he was at fault (ie. created the situation).

I think he handled it well nonetheless.

I'll point out a few things, not to point fingers, but to educate readers/viewers (which is the original aim of PrasannaDahana sharing the video):

1) We're in India, and people don't follow rules. You need to take that into account if you want to stay safe on our roads.

2) Single-lane undivided highways, especially close to villages, are trouble - simply because there's a lot of casual 2-wheeler traffic turning on and off the highway erratically. To them, the highway is no different than a wider piece of road along their usual village commute.

3) When overtaking, do so at a slightly faster speed than traffic around you. If traffic is going at 40 km/h, it's not the safest thing to be passing them at 75 km/h.

4) It's not a good idea to pass multiple vehicles at once. You don't get enough of a chance to see and judge the situation, the road ahead and the vehicles behaviour, as you would if you were overtaking 1 at a time. I know it's thrilling and "efficient" to pass multiple vehicles in one shot - but it's exponentially dangerous, as this video also proves.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2017 at 14:34.
Rehaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 18:33   #9322
BHPian

In an attempt to be the first one to reverse and move out, the Fortuner and the endeavour owners have parked without any consideration for the other drivers. Subsequently, the Dzire and Ciaz owners have no option but to squeeze in the gaps to avoid parking on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20170615_122044-copy.jpg  

Old 21st June 2017, 17:33   #9323
Senior - BHPian

So this happened today afternoon [please ignore the timestamp/datestamp on the video]

Narrow downhill with a blind curve and our man in the yellow board indica decides it's perfectly fine to overtake there and narrowly misses the poor auto and even narrowly misses my car :(

deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 17:49   #9324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
A clear case of bad road manners, lack of common sense and presence of mind going for a walk.
Who do you think is at fault here?

On lighter side, Whoever is at fault, Pardon my lack of seriousness here, I could not control my laughter by seeing the scene! The scene, the man was dragged by the bike and falling down, laughter was just beyond my control
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 18:10   #9325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So this happened today afternoon [please ignore the timestamp/datestamp on the video]

Narrow downhill with a blind curve and our man in the yellow board indica decides it's perfectly fine to overtake there and narrowly misses the poor auto and even narrowly misses my car :(
This is the road infront of Suntec right? I've had the exact same experience numerous times and now when I go up that road (from bakery jn), I usually stick to extreme left to avoid head ons with unexpected oncoming vehicles like that cab.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 21st June 2017 at 18:12.
Old 21st June 2017, 18:43   #9326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Can't zero in on who the bigger fool is. Everybody seems to be confused .

I too laughed my heart out before posting the video. The reaction of the man whose car the rider crashes onto is priceless, to say the least!

Speaking of bad drivers, I have seen vendors of sugarcane juice, cucumber, jackfruit, groundnuts, vegetables and flowers park themselves right after the humps on highways. While it provides them a chance to attract the travellers' attention, a lot of moronic drivers slow down to cross the humps, see the vendors and stop right in middle of the road to transact. This is a clear invitation to disaster. Have seen this happen a lot on my way from Hassan to Mysore via Holenarasipura and to Srirangapatna via Chennarayapatna.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 18:43   #9327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
This is the road infront of Suntec right? I've had the exact same experience numerous times and now when I go up that road (from bakery jn), I usually stick to extreme left to avoid head ons with unexpected oncoming vehicles like that cab.
Yep. That is the spot and i stick to the extreme left as well while going up the hill. Used to be one-way stretch long time back maybe people still think it is.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:26   #9328
BHPian

Blind spot in ORVM is one reason for an accident can happen. So, what exactly is blind spot?
A blind spot is when ( for a few seconds) you would not see a vehicle overtaking you. At a certain angle the vehicle coming from behind would not be seen in both the mirrors by the driver going in a vehicle ahead of you. A blind spot need not occur only when you are taking a turn. A truck driver for example , when going straight on NH in a lane would not see you , coming from behind in a car for a time and you would think he was seeing your vehicle and make a terrible mistake. This happens because the ORVM itself is angled in a particular degree in a such manner that a vehicle exactly parallel may not be reflected for a time , for a simple reason. That road which looks straight is not exactly straight !!! You and the truck driver is not in a show room environment.
venuraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:04   #9329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post

I could not control my laughter by seeing the scene!ust beyond my control
+1 to this! I also was grinning like anything and my colleagues were asking what was the joke!

On a positive note, all actors in the drama behave quite nicely and there is no verbal/physical altercation. The biker also tries to help the poor car fellow to get up!
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:38   #9330
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a traffic safety slogan in UK, many years ago: Think Bike!

Even though I regularly rant that they should not be that close, this is oh-so-true when it comes to opening a car door.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed