Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 17:39   #9616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
What image do these people take back to their country when they see that an educated IT workforce does not have simple civic sense or common sense regarding traffic.
You are asking questions to which there are no answers. How deep is the ocean, how high is the sky?

IMO, this behaviour has nothing to do with educated/illiterate, male/female, young/old, rich/poor etc. It is just the way we are as a people (Indians), always looking for convenience rather than following rules, always saying "chalta hai" instead of doing the right thing, always having a "me only" attitude without thinking whether our actions are inconveniencing others or not. What is the solution - no one knows!

I could go on and on, but will stop here as I think I've exhausted my quota of off topic rant content for this year.

Have a good evening everyone!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 17:43   #9617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
No offence
None taken either. Like I said, I stay in Ahmedabad and face this situation almost every day.

Parking vehicles without a second thought about others or driving on the wrong side of the road are a very common affair in the city. If that was not all, most of the cops here are fine with the wrong side driving and don't really bother to stop you whatsoever.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:59   #9618
BHPian

Quote:
I simply do not understand this behavior of our fellow citizens. This is an internal road where the posted speed limit is 20kmph. What image do these people take back to their country when they see that an educated IT workforce does not have simple civic sense or common sense regarding traffic.

You seem to have missed my quote a few posts earlier. Here's the snippet from the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
That's why I call our people "Technically Certified" and not "Educated"

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
IMO, this behaviour has nothing to do with educated/illiterate, male/female, young/old, rich/poor etc. It is just the way we are as a people (Indians), always looking for convenience rather than following rules, always saying "chalta hai" instead of doing the right thing, always having a "me only" attitude without thinking whether our actions are inconveniencing others or not
Absolutely. And that's what I had mentioned in the post that I just quoted.., with different set of words of course.

Quote:
What is the solution - no one knows
I believe that if people can make a habit of unlearning things, then there is a possibility of getting oneself changed. Just a simple example would be to use a smart phone from Samsung and switching to a smart phone from LG. Their touch sensor control positions are inverted when compared to each other. People get used to it in a day or two.

But unfortunately, that's not been the case when it comes to driving on the road. We're more like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory and we always want our "SPOT" and we'll have our SPOT no matter what. We tend to forget that we are sharing the road with others. And there are these creatures who mock at us for sharing road with others. Just try and let a pedestrian cross the road.., at a proper zebra crossing when the signal still has 5 seconds more to turn green on you and see how the one behind you reacts for your act! 5 seconds to green is green and 10 seconds after red is still green. New traffic rules I guess. That's what we've stooped down to.

Even I can go on and on and the rants never end.
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 11:35   #9619
BHPian

"One does not stand in a moving car"

So there is this Scorpio in front of me, and a 3-4 year old girl is standing in the middle section -- with two adults in the front. One is driving, other is co - passenger. I was behind the Scorpio for almot 3 km, and was quite shocked. How can someone leave a child unattended (at least ask them to sit), in a vehicle. People are just so careless and stupid. It totally ruins the value of a 14-15L car, by making it a death box.

Value of life is nothing.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:54   #9620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
"One does not stand in a moving car"

So there is this Scorpio in front of me, and a 3-4 year old girl is standing in the middle section -- with two adults in the front. One is driving, other is co - passenger. I was behind the Scorpio for almot 3 km, and was quite shocked. How can someone leave a child unattended (at least ask them to sit), in a vehicle. People are just so careless and stupid. It totally ruins the value of a 14-15L car, by making it a death box.

Value of life is nothing.
Have one better.
Today, on my school run, there was polo in front of me, and the child was standing the front passenger seat footwell, arms crossed over the dashboard and his head resting on them. Right where the airbag would be. I mouthed a "no" while pointing at the child, and got glared at.
Give in to your kids, but mind their well-being too, folks.
Nuts!!!!
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:47   #9621
Senior - BHPian

Some glimpses from the chaos on road through the sad tired eye of my dashcam:

1) Why Flash?

There was no one behind me and yet this guy decides to flash twice. Why?

2) Turn when i want where i want:
Common sight but still a head shaker. Biker decides to turn without checking his mirrors or glancing back, turn on indicator halfway into the turn and think he stops as well. Ah well...

3)Auto! That should say it all i reckon. But this guy takes the cake turning where he is not supposed to. What gets me is that there is a legal u-turn spot just a few meters ahead.

4) Queues are for the stupid!
What to do with guys like this?

5)And this guy?!!?

6) Or this government vehicle?!

7) And him?!?!

8) Ego driven dude:
Had overtaken this guy sometime back without any showing off or whatever but for some reason he took offence and started to drive like a lunatic which was evident by this reckless and totally unnecessary overtaking maneuver. Let him have his moment of joy. After a while i caught up with him only to see him drop speed.

deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:35   #9622
BHPian

This happened today, a driver who was overtaken by a bus, overtook the bus when it was in the town, and he threatened the driver with a revolver. That moronic driver was arrested by the police and he will be now having so many charges slapped, I guess he will have a long holiday to really think over his anger management problem.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 00:17   #9623
Senior - BHPian

This truck driver attempted an overtaking at a blind curve and came right in front of me, while I was driving to Goa on NH-748, lost his left ORVM in the process.

airbus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 11:26   #9624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This truck driver attempted an overtaking at a blind curve and came right in front of me, while I was driving to Goa on NH-748, lost his left ORVM in the process.
It's a small penalty for his circus! I dunno what is with these people, even on blind curve's they dare to bet their life and limbs!
JMaruru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 12:05   #9625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Some glimpses from the chaos on road through the sad tired eye of my dashcam:

1) Why Flash?

I guess he was trying either or both:

1. Hope the flash catches the biker's mirror -- I am overtaking.
2. He is overtaking on a narrow road, so requesting you to maintain your line.

Basically he was overtaking incorrectly, and any flash by, does not deem him legal.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 28th September 2017 at 12:22.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 16:15   #9626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
1) Why Flash?

May be he has got his music wired to the head lights too. It flashes to the beats being played.

Quote:
7) And him?!?!
Oh. This guy was kind enough to wave and direct you to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This happened today, a driver who was overtaken by a bus, overtook the bus when it was in the town, and he threatened the driver with a revolver.
Looking at you location (KL08), just curious to know if this happen in Kerala.
n looking at your handle (sparky), where you a Radio Officer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This truck driver attempted an overtaking at a blind curve ~ lost his left ORVM in the process.
Good he lost his OVRM. Serves him right and hope that at least this will remind him to drive carefully. But where - a dogs tail will never remain straight.

Few from my dash cam over the week.

1. Honda Jazz TN14E8357 - madam comes all the way from the extreme left of the road, and cuts across a parallel row of 3 cars, all turning to the right, to take her turn. Least bothered of the other cars.

2. Nissan Micra TN07BM1155 - I just can not understand why people try and cut 5 metres and come up on the wrong side, expecting only them to be on the road. Or do they expect all the other drivers to do the same and cut across ?

3. Auto rickshaw - Like a cockroach being chased. See a gap, dart into it.

4. School bus - nearly scraped my left while passing. They just dont have the patience to slow down. Anyways, came up to him at the next signal and gave him a dousing, which, from the look on his face did not seem to matter to him. May be what I shouted at him was not any where close to the abuses he gets daily.

5. And finally the way a Police Patrol Gypsy parks on the road. Lots of space on the side of the road where he could park, but no, it has to be on the road. And in addition to that, he places himself also on the road. Would have been posing for some photo.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 28th September 2017 at 16:16. Reason: spelling
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 16:35   #9627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
May be he has got his music wired to the head lights too. It flashes to the beats being played.

Oh. This guy was kind enough to wave and direct you to pass.

Few from my dash cam over the week.

1. Honda Jazz TN14E8357

2. Nissan Micra TN07BM1155

3. Auto rickshaw - Like a cockroach being chased. See a gap, dart into it.

4. School bus - nearly scraped my left while passing.

5. And finally the way a Police Patrol Gypsy parks on the road.
Some guys are addicted to honking needlessly and some new ones are addicted to flashing

Yes he was kind enough to give me way. Heh Heh.

People like the honda jazz driver are dime a dozen these days. They see only where they want to go and others around be damned.

2 and 3 not playing. Check upload please.

4. Scary!

5. Maybe he's been watching too many Singham movies
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:53   #9628
BHPian

Quote:

Looking at you location (KL08), just curious to know if this happen in Kerala.
n looking at your handle (sparky), where you a Radio Officer ?
It happened yesterday in Trichur, was on the news. Yes, i was a RO.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 22:51   #9629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Nissan Micra TN07BM1155 - I just can not understand why people try and cut 5 metres and come up on the wrong side, expecting only them to be on the road. Or do they expect all the other drivers to do the same and cut across ?
I'm amazed. Actually, not so much by the dreadful driving of the Micra, but by the biker in front of you taking that turn from the correct side of the road!

I know it well, and every biker I see there sticks like glue to the right, which make it a completely blind turn for them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 13:33   #9630
PAS
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday while going home from office, I was still inside the IT city area....

...What image do these people take back to their country when they see that an educated IT workforce does not have simple civic sense or common sense regarding traffic.
I guess its not about the education level or skills but about thought process. Situation is no different at any IT Corridor, at least in Pune & Bangalore.

No, they don't take any image back to their country, just laugh it out loud over here itself during tea breaks, and our very own Indian fellas join them (despite of feeling ashamed deep within). Have been part of few such sessions with clients and foreigners seem to enjoy Indian driving manners. Few even bothered to ask, where can they buy the special horns in India, which once pressed can keep on going for few minutes at least.

One client was adamant to drive during a small weekend outing, as he thought all he needed to drive here is skill of continuously honking and vocabulary of few words which cant be written here.

Next time you have clients coming to offshore, just ask how was their drive/ride from hotel to office and in all possibility you might enjoy a good stress buster session.

We can probably teach the illiterate drivers about driving manners but not the educated morons.
PAS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks