Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 11:39   #9736
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Yeah. He could have simply picked a stone and smashed the Thar's windscreen and rode away from scene.
For the sarcasm.

This is a classic case of to act or not to act. We as drivers have come across so many such instances where a vehicle driving in the wrong direction pushes it way through. And I am sure we have all cursed them when it occurs. Now, if every time people just make way and do nothing, it will encourage such drivers and others too would be inspired by them. Hence i appreciate the guts and determination of the biker to stick to his principles, in spite of knowing things can take a dangerous turn.

I know i would have never blocked the way, if i were in his place. So i truly appreciate it when some one stands up, ready to face the consequences for what they believe in. They are a stronger person than me.

Last edited by DriverR : 7th November 2017 at 11:42.
DriverR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:57   #9737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Hence i appreciate the guts and determination of the biker to stick to his principles, in spite of knowing things can take a dangerous turn.
Completely agree with you on this. Unless the people stand up for themselves in such situations, such wrongdoers will continue doing what they have been doing all this while.

I totally appreciate the amount of cool the biker maintained, it was almost like watching a "Satyagraha"; he was patient, stood his ground and hit the car driver ONLY in self-defence.

Would I have done the same?

No, simply because I m not as patient as him, non-violence takes immense patience and guts. I would have cursed him and gone my way, something I do when facing such morons.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 12:49   #9738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
For the sarcasm.

This is a classic case of to act or not to act. We as drivers have come across so many such instances where a vehicle driving in the wrong direction pushes it way through. And I am sure we have all cursed them when it occurs. Now, if every time people just make way and do nothing, it will encourage such drivers and others too would be inspired by them. Hence i appreciate the guts and determination of the biker to stick to his principles, in spite of knowing things can take a dangerous turn.

I know i would have never blocked the way, if i were in his place. So i truly appreciate it when some one stands up, ready to face the consequences for what they believe in. They are a stronger person than me.
Considering the fact that the Thar guy looked like Hulk in black color, it takes some guts to even try to blow a punch on him.
Old 7th November 2017, 13:23   #9739
BHPian

There is a news report on this in Deccan Herald:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ds-up-suv.html
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 14:26   #9740
Senior - BHPian

I applaud the biker's courage. In a country where the government officials are so corrupt, sometimes it is up to us to take matters into our own hands. Biker should not have taken his helmet off in my opinion. Few headbuts with the helmet would have given the biker a fighting chance and caused the jeep goon some pain as well.
Old 7th November 2017, 15:10   #9741
Senior - BHPian

While the jury is out on whether the biker has done the correct thing or not, what is infinitely more annoying is the indifference of the other road users headed in the same direction. Why did they not just wait behind the biker and see what happened next? It is only too convenient to turn away and take the compromised way out of confrontation.

If any of the car drivers had stopped behind the biker and honked a few times, the sheer number of people standing up to a bully would force him to reconsider his actions. In my opinion, satyagraha can work with numbers. Else it is only a protest which can be quashed sooner.
There are many occasions where we try to support a rule abiding fellow citizen just by standing beside him.

For example, the first person waiting at a red traffic light may get people to think if they should stop or not. But the second and third person stopping there forces them to think harder. If there are 3 people waiting and following rules, I better do so. Or who knows, maybe they have seen a cop around the corner that I have not. In either case, it is upto us to support such people who stand their ground. It is not necessary that we turn to vigilante justice deliverers, but just by standing beside them in their hour of unasked need.

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th November 2017 at 15:11. Reason: typo
selfdrive is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 15:53   #9742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Why did they not just wait behind the biker and see what happened next? It is only too convenient to turn away and take the compromised way out of confrontation.
Agree with this. Unfortunately people just want to watch the "show" going on whether it is this incident, an accident or in general any injustice that is meted out right in front of their eyes. This very dissonance among people encourages the law breakers to continue with their acts. If people had supported the biker the bully would not have behaved the way he had or at least not with the same aggressiveness.

There is this interesting psychological phenomena called "Bystander effect".

Quote:
The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon in which individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Several factors contribute to the bystander effect, including ambiguity, cohesiveness and diffusion of responsibility.
Link

Quote:
For example, the first person waiting at a red traffic light may get people to think if they should stop or not. But the second and third person stopping there forces them to think harder. If there are 3 people waiting and following rules, I better do so. Or who knows, maybe they have seen a cop around the corner that I have not. In either case, it is upto us to support such people who stand their ground. It is not necessary that we turn to vigilante justice deliverers, but just by standing beside them in their hour of unasked need.
Yes this is interesting . I try this every time I stop my two wheeler at the stop line when the signal turns Red and do not move an inch ahead of the line and this has led to me getting cursed by those behind me for "following the rules". Some people who cross the line and stop far ahead, look back, see that there is a large gap and push the bikes back not aware why everybody is stopping on the line.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 7th November 2017 at 15:58.
Old 7th November 2017, 17:43   #9743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. He could have simply picked a stone and smashed the Thar's windscreen and rode away from scene.
That is exactly what the Thar Driver did in the end. I mean handling a situation like neanderthal.

Best solution is to not bother about society ever. Just live your life and move on. This society is absolutely gone to the dogs and there is no returning back. We have passed the point of revival and have entered the zone of survival.
VW2010 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:11   #9744
Distinguished - BHPian

How's this protest for a bad driver? 32 Traffic violations and still counting:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20171108-09.09.25.jpg

Source :Today's edition of Deccan Herald (P3)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:57   #9745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
How's this protest for a bad driver? 32 Traffic violations and still counting:
Looks like a person who is overwhelmed by his own conditions and continues to resist by flouting rules. Reminds me of the character Ishan Awasthi from the movie Taare zameen par. (there should be an emoticon for depicting sadness too, though technically it wouldnt be a smilie )

Considering how these people are treated/ abused by fellow road users almost every other minute, somebody is bound to snap. The only difference in this case is this guy threw a tantrum, on another day someone elsewhere would have probably hit the cop or continued to argue.

I am in no way justifying his earlier traffic offences; I am only saying he probably continued to pile them up as his way of defying the rules. Once you reach breaking point, at his income level I don't think he would have any support or counselling to turn his life around.

The situation is not getting any better with the rising disparity in incomes and perceptions of the have-nots towards those who are more well off. I dont know if there are any hotlines where drivers in stress can speak up and get counselled. If there are, they should be publicised more so that we try to return some sanity to the roads.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:31   #9746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
This video is viral in the social media as well as news apps now. A jeep comes in the wrong lane and a biker stops him. Jeeper tries to scare him, but the biker does not move a bit. Eventually, the jeeper comes out and starts beating him up.
Here is the boy speaking.

Apparently, culprit was caught, car detained for 3 days at the station.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:45   #9747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Here is the boy speaking.

Apparently, culprit was caught, car detained for 3 days at the station.
Nice to hear that some action was taken. Though I think it would have been better to hear that they let the vehicle go and detained the guy. In my opinion the guy was more at fault than the vehicle itself.

Maybe Arnab should invite this guy and the thrasher/ (so called) jeeper together to his show.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 17:17   #9748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to hear that some action was taken. Though I think it would have been better to hear that they let the vehicle go and detained the guy. In my opinion the guy was more at fault than the vehicle itself.

Maybe Arnab should invite this guy and the thrasher/ (so called) jeeper together to his show.
True that! But am happy, the boy got justice, and didn't feel like his stand was for nothing.

And I absolutely agree with your point of fellow road users standing by the biker. I did it once, was a car, not bike. It started building up traffic and soon a cop was on the scene who gave an earful to the offender and made him get in line.

If you see someone taking a stand for the right thing, do support him if you are not brave enough to take the stand yourself.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 11:12   #9749
BHPian

Just like in the film Unstoppable, an electric engine of the Chennai-Mumbai train travelled for 13 kms on its own before the staff chased it on bike and stopped it.

Article
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:11   #9750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Just like in the film Unstoppable, an electric engine of the Chennai-Mumbai train travelled for 13 kms on its own before the staff chased it on bike and stopped it.

Article
This is a good example of why we should take information in news articles with truckloads of salt. Wadi and Nalwar both are in Karnataka and not in Maharashtra!!!

One noob question. It is an electric Engine they say, then couldn't they have just stopped the power supply to the overhead lines instead of clearing signals and tracks and stopping trains?
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks