Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:41   #10636
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I wanted to test out a new set of headlights on the car and hence took the car out for a spin on NICE road.

It is surprising to see so many private vehicles illegally overtaking on the emergency lane without any hesitation. What if some vehicle is stopped and he/she cannot see? Is this common nowadays?
I commute daily on NICE road. A piece of advice to 2 wheelers, please ignore this highway and take it as a last resort. Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:17   #10637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to test out a new set of headlights on the car and hence took the car out for a spin on NICE road.

It is surprising to see so many private vehicles illegally overtaking on the emergency lane without any hesitation. What if some vehicle is stopped and he/she cannot see? Is this common nowadays?
Ive noticed this very often too - it happens in daytime too and on both sides!
BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 00:04   #10638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yeah this is what I also came up with. Even if I approach the cops here can they trace this car and its occupants? or is it a lost cause I am staring at?

As much as I'd like to see action taken against such idiots, it will be a wild goose chase in my opinion. The picture in itself cannot be admitted as evidence as it does not show any violation taking place. On the other hand, if you had a video that captured what they did, then there might have been a chance.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 08:27   #10639
BHPian

Many a times it is irritating to see lorry drivers on highways, who mostly travel on right side of the roads irrespective of their speed.

Some lorries travel at 30 - 40 km speed but they drive on right side only, deliberately making us to pass from their left side, which is wrong way of overtaking.

Is it fleet owners instruction to these drivers to move always on right side of the road ? so that in case of accidents it is always to blame a persons who are overtaking lorries from wrong side.

How to deal with such situations and when these things will be corrected on Indian roads ?

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 20:59   #10640
BHPian

Spotted this blind and deaf biker on the road when heading home. Blind since he jumps a red signal in broad daylight. Also deaf since he seems to be busy adjusting his phone volume in his pant and listening to loud music, ignorant of the world around him.

I purposely did not mute the video. He still does not hear me when I scold him. What sort of road manners are people learning these days? Only one sensory organ is sufficient when riding a motorcycle?

nikhn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 21:53   #10641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I purposely did not mute the video. He still does not hear me when I scold him.
Looks like your knowledge about Birds and Animals is not that great...Owl is a nocturnal animal

Quote:
What sort of road manners are people learning these days? Only one sensory organ is sufficient when riding a motorcycle?
This is one common thing I'm observing...there is a gap of less than a second after traffic on one side of a junction stops for red and some other side start for green. In this small time gap, morons like this sneak through.

Signal jumping has sadly become so common that I'm not surprised one bit. But I'm surprised how someone can be so unaware or ignorant at someone honking so loud and for so long at them
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:01   #10642
BHPian

The only aim of 2-wheeler riders and rickshaw drivers nowadays is to get ahead no matter what the traffic situation is around them. This also applies to some 4 wheeler drivers but the size of the vehicle restricts their movements in bumper to bumper traffic.

Today I observed a genius daddy (wearing a helmet) on a scooter with 2 school boys riding pillion. He was coming from a side lane on the left and he wanted to turn right after joining the main road. He literally zoomed from the side lane onto the main road without a care for traffic or his boys.

All the vehicles had to panic brake and this genius madman had vanished before anyone could react, thanks to the opposite lane being traffic free. Routinely I observe rickshaw drivers trying to create a third lane where there is no space or ITzens cutting through traffic like their lives depended on reaching the office in time.

Traffic Signals in Pune were already a guideline but now it seems they have become a showpiece. Interestingly, I have not observed lady drivers driving as rashly as men. Yes, they will drive in the middle of the right lane even if they want to turn right three signals after the current or they will try a maneuver which will bring your heart into your throat but the way college boys with multi-leveled-haircuts and helmet wearing ITzen gents cut through traffic, that is unparalleled.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:18   #10643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
... Interestingly, I have not observed lady drivers driving as rashly as men. Yes, they will drive in the middle of the right lane even if they want to turn right three signals after the current or they will try a maneuver which will bring your heart into your throat but the way college boys with multi-leveled-haircuts and helmet wearing ITzen gents cut through traffic, that is unparalleled.
As I try to stand against gender discrimination, I tell myself off for expecting female drivers to have more sense, more care for their family, less macho driving urge, etc, than the guys.

Anyway, whether I should expect it or not, I am increasingly disappointed. The women here on two wheelers drive with the same fixed-neck refusal to look before turning, and perform the same stupid and dangerous tricks as the men. No difference.

And, yes of course there are good riders, and they are the ones that largely go completely unnoticed. Still, they are eclipsed by the large numbers of bad riders, of all genders.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 20:31   #10644
BHPian

Yes! Good drivers and good wicket keepers go unnoticed ! That is what the minimum expectation is. In fact they are called good only because of the 'bad' around !.

The lady drivers are much safer and a lesser threat than the lady riders. Lady riders move in and out, left and right without even a slight peripheral vision look. Mirrors? What are they?
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:23   #10645
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, while out walking, I yelled at a woman rider for cutting across me to take a turn. She stopped and glared at me. See! The gender makes no difference, the behaviour is the same. This has to remembered for the bad reasons as well as the good.

Whether it is a car, a walker, or another bike, why can't 2-wheelers think of going behind rather than cutting across? They just don't even have that idea. It is not as if it is any inconvenience, and it is much safer for them.
Old 4th May 2019, 23:29   #10646
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this maniac:

No helmet. Crossing road on bike, one hand busy fiddling with mobile. He had actually crossed one lane like that. When I honked, he looked up!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 4th May 2019 at 23:35.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:34   #10647
Distinguished - BHPian

We'd been on a package darshan trip to Tirupati last week. The Tempo Traveler we were put in was driven by an experienced ex-bus driver. He'd been a regular on the Chennai-Karaikudi route with Kannathal Travels for a long time, he told us. Yet, for all his experience and wisdom, he slotted the van into neutral gear and coasted downhill on the return journey. I didn't try telling him not to do it as he wouldn't listen to me; I'd earlier asked him if it is okay to abruptly turn off the engine the way he was doing it on our trip and he turned out to be oblivious to the existence of a turbocharger beneath the hood. He continued to turn off the engine abruptly multiple times in our trip.

PS: I'm pretty sure I could hear a turbo spooling in the vehicle...I'll be damned if it doesn't have one.
Old 6th May 2019, 13:43   #10648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whether it is a car, a walker, or another bike, why can't 2-wheelers think of going behind rather than cutting across?
After observing dozens of bad drivers (and riders) on my daily commute to and from office, I think the reason is that no one wants to be behind another vehicle (save for those few sane drivers who do so). Ego may be the major cause.

Else why would anyone blow the horn in an office / mall parking ! Just the other day I was halted at the main gate of a gated city here in Pune and I was giving the details of the apartment that I was visiting. Just then a resident (I think) came from behind and started honking. As usual I ignored him but it did come close to yanking my chain. These guys (and girls) come in the same category as those honking at a city bus halting at a bus stop.
Old 6th May 2019, 13:53   #10649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
... Yet, for all his experience and wisdom...
The 'experienced ex-bus driver' had experience driving NA engined buses of yore. The powertrain was fairly simple, without turbochargers, synchromesh gearboxes, OD ratios, hub reduction etc. I'm sure he would have no qualms starting off from 2nd gear, if the TT could take it.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:09   #10650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The Tempo Traveler we were put in was driven by an experienced ex-bus driver.

he slotted the van into neutral gear and coasted downhill on the return journey
This could also be to return a better FE for the trip. Quite a few reports have mentioned how bus corporations reward drivers for fuel saving measures; coasting is one way.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks