Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 11:14   #616
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

PS: Lots of checking on the way. Not sure for what.

I did a trip in March. Soon as I crossed Kutta, at the Tholpetty checkpost (While entering Wayanad) my car was thoroughly checked for possible drugs and other contraband. Mine is a Pune registered car. I had to open all my bags, wallets, storage spaces, map pockets, boot and the bonnet.

Later, I befriended a Sub Inspector at a shop (Uniappam kada). He did mention about the elections, but also did mention that there are random drug focused checks especially for outstation cars from time to time. I speak Malayalam, so getting along was easy with the cops at the check post and they were very well mannered too. Just that you know, illicit drugs are a major problem in Kerala these days.
Old 8th May 2023, 09:46   #617
BHPian

Drove back from Wayanad to Bengaluru via Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Bavali-HD Kote-Mysuru.
Roads inside Kerala are smooth and awesome.

Bavali to Udbur checkpost - A distance of about 20kms. Roads are narrow and broken badly for about 16kms from Bavali. Large potholes, craters. Need to take many of them is very slow speeds. The shoulders are 5-6 inches below and rough. So getting one set of tyres off the road for giving way to opposite side vehicles is tricky. Only the last 3/4 kms to Udbur checkpost is good and smooth.

Udbur checkpost to HD Kote handpost junction is as usual wide and smooth.

Overall advice is to avoid this route due to the torturous stretch inside the forest. I wonder how the current conditions are in the Kutta - Veerahosanahalli - Hunsur route.

Stayed at Silvergreen resort in Wayanad, near Banasura Sagar Dam. We had a good time. Clean rooms, wonderful courteous staff, superb views of the backwaters. Nice place overall

Last edited by srvm : 8th May 2023 at 09:47.
Old 19th July 2023, 22:55   #618
BHPian

Any "not to miss attractions" on the way to wayanad/kalpetta ? Need some edutainment for kids in our group.
Old 25th July 2023, 12:46   #619
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I would be travelling from Hyderabad to Wayanad for the first time and planning to stay in Wayanad for a night on the 13th of August. Could someone suggest few decent places to stay with friends under a budget of 10k per room.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th July 2023, 22:34   #620
BHPian

Hi Rauiday,
Below is my research n shortlist for different types of accommodation as per my interests. Hope it helps to reduce your research time. Please note I have not necessarily created those for under 10k variety but most of them were. Now, not sure if 13th Aug is a peak date or not for hospitality industry when rates could be jacked up.

Resorts : https://maps.app.goo.gl/oAp36VdSmzBgDM8n7
Budget resorts : https://maps.app.goo.gl/NnXCXC7Sfg6Q8mdQA
Homestay: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SKMcaYuBuCTzWq37A
Awaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 09:53   #621
BHPian

Hi, we are travelling to Wayanad over the weekend from Bangalore and our resort doesn't have liquor license so asked us to carry our own. Would it be an issue at the KL checkpost if we carry a bottle of wine with us?
Old 24th August 2023, 10:00   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hi, we are travelling to Wayanad over the weekend from Bangalore and our resort doesn't have liquor license so asked us to carry our own. Would it be an issue at the KL checkpost if we carry a bottle of wine with us?
By rule, you can bring into Kerala alcohol subject to maximum limits and other constraints (https://keralaexcise.gov.in/en/information). You need to make sure (a) you don't exceed the limits counting only the adults in your party, and (b) you can prove the provenance of the alcohol - bill from the retail outlet that sold it to you should be fine.

Having said that - it is Onam season in Kerala, and you can expect increased checking. The specific officer who checks you might have other ideas and can put you through a lot of heartache should they want to. But a single bottle of wine is not something I would worry too much about.

Last edited by binand : 24th August 2023 at 10:02.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 07:57   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would it be an issue at the KL checkpost if we carry a bottle of wine with us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Having said that - it is Onam season in Kerala, and you can expect increased checking.
Pertinent article: Onam: Excise officials intensify checking at Karnataka-Kerala borders

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...orders-2659962
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 09:10   #624
BHPian

Quote:
We recently travelled to Wayanad through Bandipur, Sulthan Bathery route.

They were stopping vehicles but not the ones with families and kids. I did see a couple of cars parked on the side and the staff going through the suitcases etc. We did slow down as there are barricades and they looked at us but did not even bother to stop.

The resort we were visiting too advised that a bottle per adult is ok even if they stop to check. So just carry the receipt and ensure the count does not increase beyond the permissible number.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:07   #625
BHPian

Planning to travel via Gundlupet -> Tirur tomorrow morning.
Haven't taken this route since years now

Choosing this route to:

1) Try a different Route this time
2) Experience the new Mysore Expressway
3) If time permits visit either of this - Gopalswamy Temple OR Safari at Bandipur / Mudumalai (which one would be better?)
Plan is to start at least by 5am and reach these destinations by 9 / 9:30 (still a dream as I have to travel with a 4 & 1.5 year old )

A concern I have though is the recent road condition of Bandipur & Nadugani stretches as I will be travelling in my low slung Fiesta.
Old 18th October 2023, 10:03   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Planning to travel via Gundlupet -> Tirur tomorrow morning.
Haven't taken this route since years now

3) If time permits visit either of this - Gopalswamy Temple OR Safari at Bandipur / Mudumalai (which one would be better?)

A concern I have though is the recent road condition of Bandipur & Nadugani stretches as I will be travelling in my low slung Fiesta.
My suggestion will be to visit Gopalswamy temple. You will any how be driving through both the national parks and can spot animals depending on your luck

I have recently driven to Devala and the road is great till Nadugani, but not sure about the Nadugani Nilambur stretch
Old 5th November 2023, 19:45   #627
BHPian

Planning for Wild Planet Bana Heights during next week. Which route will be better from Bangalore?

1. Currently Google map by default shows Bangalore > Srirangapatana > Bilikere > Hunsur > Kutta > Manathavadi.

2. Or is it better to go by Bangalore > Mysore > Nanjagud > Gundulpete > Sultan Bathery route?

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 5th November 2023, 20:12   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Planning for Wild Planet Bana Heights during next week. Which route will be better from Bangalore?
Shortest is Bangalore > Mysore > Handpost > Mananthavady > Vellamunda. I drove through this route last week the other way; the road is in pretty bad shape for the 20-odd km it goes through Nagarhole tiger reserve. If you / your car can't stand that second-best is Bangalore > Mysore > Gundlupete > Sulthan Bathery > Kainaty > Vellamunda (there are shorter district roads from Bathery towards Panamaram / Mananthavady but those can be iffy in quality).

The former closes at 5 PM for the night, the latter at 9 PM. Which is why you are seeing a circuitous route now. Set your departure time differently and you should see the shorter routes.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 20:29   #629
BHPian

Quote:
If you / your car can't stand that second-best is Bangalore > Mysore > Gundlupete > Sulthan Bathery > Kainaty > Vellamunda (there are shorter district roads from Bathery towards Panamaram / Mananthavady but those can be iffy in quality).
Thank you Binand. I will prefer the Gundulpete > Sultan Bathery route. Anyway, plan to start early from Bangalore. So, route closure of 5PM/9PM will not be of any issue.
Old 6th November 2023, 07:07   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
2. Or is it better to go by Bangalore > Mysore > Nanjagud > Gundulpete > Sultan Bathery route?
Quote:
If you / your car can't stand that second-best is Bangalore > Mysore > Gundlupete > Sulthan Bathery > Kainaty > Vellamunda (there are shorter district roads from Bathery towards Panamaram / Mananthavady but those can be iffy in quality).
The road from Meenangadi to Panamaram or rather Pachilakkadu where it joins the Kalpetta-Mananthavady road (the right fork at Meenangadi junction) was in very good condition when I travelled that way in April/May - should be shorter by about 10kms compared to traveling all the way to Kainatty and turning right there. (Also I'm not sure if they are not allowing right turns at Kainatty junction now - Google maps seems to suggest going straight and taking a U turn somewhere further ahead - if so, this must be a recent development, it was certainly allowed till a couple of months ago).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks