Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 00:23   #151
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichunter View Post
Aug 14
Kalasa->Sringeri->Agumbe->Kundadri Hill->Sakleshpur-> Hassan (Stay overnight)
Kundadri hill is an awesome place for sunset views. In that case you will have to skip the sunset stop at Agumbe sunset point which is fine since that place can get quite crowded and lots of hawkers around. With such a plan you'd be better off staying overnight near Tirthahalli which is about 20 odd km away from Kundadri. Hassan is quite far and you'll be driving in darkness.
Regarding road conditions..
Roads are mostly good on the routes you mentioned but not sure around Kalasa.

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2016 at 00:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:33   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Electronics City(Bangalore)-> Mudigere->Charmady Ghats->Kalasa (Stay overnight)
You dont cross Charmady to reach Kalasa. You exit out of the ghat road before the ghats at Kottigehara.

Quote:
Kalasa->Sringeri->Agumbe->Kundadri Hill->Sakleshpur-> Hassan (Stay overnight)
There are many internal roads. I wont suggest them. Go via Kudremukh.

Quote:
Please let me know if anyone has done this route recently and know the road conditions. Are there any particular things which I need to be aware of while taking this journey?
Easily doable. Have a good drive and treat us to a travelogue!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:36   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You dont cross Charmady to reach Kalasa. You exit out of the ghat road before the ghats at Kottigehara.
You are right. I have been hearing lot about Charmady Ghats. So thought of experiencing it first hand. I will be continuing to Charmady Ghats instead of taking the exit for Kalasa. I plan to go till the highest point of the ghat and return back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are many internal roads. I wont suggest them. Go via Kudremukh.
Easily doable. Have a good drive and treat us to a travelogue!
Sure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hassan is quite far and you'll be driving in darkness.
I was planning to start by 8 or 9 in the morning from Kalasa. Do you think it would be still dark by the time I reach Hassan? Even if I skip sunset point at Kundadri? My initial plan was to stay at Tirthahalli but that would extend my first day's travel time to 9+ hrs. Hence thought of breaking the trip at Kalasa.
Old 1st August 2016, 23:40   #154
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to start by 8 or 9 in the morning from Kalasa. Do you think it would be still dark by the time I reach Hassan? Even if I skip sunset point at Kundadri? My initial plan was to stay at Tirthahalli but that would extend my first day's travel time to 9+ hrs. Hence thought of breaking the trip at Kalasa.
I was only saying that Kundadri Hill is a great place to view sunset, ideal if you're there by 4pm or so. In you do that, you will be driving in darkness after sunset towards Hassan, hence my suggestion to look for a place to stay near Tirthahalli. If you stay at Tirthahalli, next day with a morning start you should be able to reach Bangalore by afternoon.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:33   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to start by 8 or 9 in the morning from Kalasa. Do you think it would be still dark by the time I reach Hassan?
You will be missing a beautiful stretch of road & hills between sringeri - balehonnur - aldur if you plan to take the route that you have outlined. You could consider the below route instead

Day1: Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Mudigere. Stay in one of the many home stays around mudigere. Drive time should be around 6 hours of sedate driving

Day2: Mudigere - Charmadi - Bajegoli - Agumbe - Sringeri. Would recommend Prakruti Home stay just after Sringeri. Not sure about road conditions between Charmadi - Bajegoli - Agumbe due to the rains. Do check on the mangalore/udupi thread. Again should be a 6-7 hours drive

Day3: Sringeri - Balehonnur - Coffee at Bhadra coffee stop - Aldur - Chikmagalur - Belur - Bangalore. Beautiful roads and lovely drive. Should take about 6.5 hours from Sringeri to NICE road.

Gmaps: https://goo.gl/maps/SxLC61wfNxP2

Last edited by procrj : 2nd August 2016 at 08:50.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 12:59   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
You will be missing a beautiful stretch of road & hills between sringeri - balehonnur - aldur if you plan to take the route that you have outlined. You could consider the below route instead
Wow! Thanks for letting me know. I was not aware of this route. Will definitely try. My stay at Hassan and Kalasa are already booked so I have come up with another route plan. This would let me cover the stretch you just mentioned and also Ampere's suggestion of going through kudremukh. Only doubt I have in mind is about Mudar -> Agumbe stretch.

https://goo.gl/maps/bkVN4ppRPq22
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:17   #157
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to drive down to Malnad region during October end, around 4-5 days with my wife and 2 year old kid, as its a long weekend here in Bangalore. Below are the places i wish to cover with my 2007 model WagonR Lxi.
1. Gajanur dam.
2. Mandagadde.
3. Sri Sigandur Chowdeshwari Temple.
4. Linganamakki reservoir.
5. Keladi Temple.
6. Ikkeri.

Please suggest on how to plan for this tour and any other worthy places to visit.
Please also suggest good hotels/lodges/resorts for accommodation and food(Vegetarian only).
Also i'm not inclined to drive during nights.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 2nd September 2016 at 09:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks