Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
That's is a good plan.

I have eaten in Kottureshwara opposite BDT college as well as in City. These dosas are to die for any day. Okay, since you are a fooddie and will be in Davanagere, you should taste "Nargis" - Davangere/Harihara variety of "Churmuri" which is spicy and tasty. I dont how how this name got stuck. Possibly the inventer must be a fan of hindi actress nargis.

By any chance, if you get late to reach Davanagere and feel hungry, you eat excellent Benne Masale Dosey in another iconic place in Chitradurga - Laxmi Bhavan. It is closed on Monday.

"Town canteen" is in Chikkamagalur - There is only one in city - and the Benne Masle is heavenly
Yes the Churmuri & Mensanikayi Bajji you get there is awesome. Once it so happened we got delayed by nearly 2 hours as we were helping ourselves to our content. Think i might have tried out Laxmi Bhavan but definitely not in Kotreshwara will give it a shot. Will give the Town Canteen a sure try on this trip.

Talking of Churmuri have you had Girmeet off Railway Office in Hubli? Roadside chap makes it awesome and yes Khanda Bajji / Pav Mirchi near the Medical College Railway gate (around 100 yards down the gate towards the city). Guess you should start another thread on local delicacies.

Eagerly waiting for the next week to subside
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji
I have eaten in Kottureshwara opposite BDT college as well as in City. These dosas are to die for any day. Okay, since you are a fooddie and will be in Davanagere, you should taste "Nargis" - Davangere/Harihara variety of "Churmuri" which is spicy and tasty. I dont how how this name got stuck. Possibly the inventer must be a fan of hindi actress nargis.
Been there done that.
Benne khali is awesome.
I had been there once, we as a family never knew we could ever eat that much of Dosaey's.
Nargis, we had it somewhere near the small Narrow roads.. I don't know the place name, people said that's the best place to have, we had Nargis there itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Sushrutha,

I just had a peep at this eagleeyeholidays website and am very delighted to get there at the ASAP. The treehouse accomodation is the one that has caught my eye. My next getaway with family will definitely be to this place.
By the way, whats the best time of the year to visit this place? Appreciate if you can let me know about it.
Cheers,

KTP
Winter is the best season to visit this place,
Everything is fresh n green the weather is too chilly and can enjoy the barbeque(if they have facility) with campfire.
I would say September - Oct-Nov is the best season to visit.

Rainy season in Malnad is like as if you are entering a bathroom...
The moment you step out, you definetely get drenched ;-)

Last edited by sushrutha : 23rd June 2011 at 10:24.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:30   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Been there done that.
Benne khali is awesome.
I had been there once, we as a family never knew we could ever eat that much of Dosaey's.
Nargis, we had it somewhere near the small Narrow roads.. I don't know the place name, people said that's the best place to have, we had Nargis there itself.

Winter is the best season to visit this place,
Everything is fresh n green the weather is too chilly and can enjoy the barbeque(if they have facility) with campfire.
I would say September - Oct-Nov is the best season to visit.

Rainy season in Malnad is like as if you are entering a bathroom...
The moment you step out, you definetely get drenched ;-)
Thanks for your inputs Sushrutha. We will plan the trip during this winter for sure and post an update as soon as we are done.

Cheers,
KTP
Old 24th June 2011, 18:21   #64
BHPian

Latest update on monsoons in Malnad

Hi, just completed a wonderful trip to CKM, thanks to Fauji. Just to reiterate what Fauji meant when he told about Monsoons and Malnad, a few snaps from my trip are below. I reached back yesterday. All the roads were great except a few bad stretches. No post-production work has been done on photoshop For us this was a real surprise...Chickmaglur is indeed very beautiful at this time of the year

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05225.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05239.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05321.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05346.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05350.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05351.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05368.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05375.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05393.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05394.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05396.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05530.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05532.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05536.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05539.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05544.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05548.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05552.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05557.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05558.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05624.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05628.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05632.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05636.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05637.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05647.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05641.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05651.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05657.jpg

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-dsc05658.jpg

Thanks

VW
Old 24th June 2011, 18:31   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

VW - lovely pictures, thanks for sharing. Definitely seems like you enjoyed the drive during the monsoon !
Hope you're following this up with a nice, detailed Tlog.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 18:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
VW - lovely pictures, thanks for sharing. Definitely seems like you enjoyed the drive during the monsoon !
Hope you're following this up with a nice, detailed Tlog.
+1 to that!
Wow! Such fresh snaps! please share a detailed travelogue with more snaps
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:05   #67
BHPian

Amazing. Enchanting. The pics look so refreshing. Did the road condition take a toll on your car? Any problem you faced on the route due to the rains?
Old 29th June 2011, 11:00   #68
BHPian

Hi Sandy, thanks.

We went for four drives.
1) Kemmanagundi thru the Lingdahalli road - the last 10-15 kms were not good, but definitely manageable. Till then it was great road. We could not go to Hebbe falls due to lack of time(you have to hire a jeep from Kemmanagundi to reach the falls which is 14kms away).
2) Muthodi forest - the roads were good till about a km inside the forest. We had gone for a drive after 7:00pm and it was spooky, adeventurous and fun. But after the roads became too bad, we returned (after 2 kms from the camping site/safari spot inside the forest). This is around 40km from CKM.
3) Bababudangiri - was a mesmerising foggy drive. We were not prepared for the cold weather and hence could not walk down to Manikya dhara, but the drive was amazing. Though the road is not great for last 2 kms, it is definitely driveable. After returning from the Manikyadhara-Baba budangiri route, we continued our drive in the Kemmanagundi direction (this is not the same route mentioned in drive-1). This was a very beautiful route. Again we returned after some 40 mins into the drive when the road became too bad (till then it was amazing road, suddenly it turned bad).
4) Mullainagiri - amazing road all thru. Great vistas.

The car did great and had no issues at all. The rain only made the place more beutiful . I would rate drive-3 as the best followed by drive-4 and drive-2. Do drive-1 only if you intend to take the 14 km jeep ride to Hebbe falls. Klhatti falls is not that great.

Rgds
VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Amazing. Enchanting. The pics look so refreshing. Did the road condition take a toll on your car? Any problem you faced on the route due to the rains?

Last edited by VindyWheels : 29th June 2011 at 11:03.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been there done that.
Benne khali is awesome.

)
You should certainly try the masale mandakki and masale avalakki. They are even better. You can have them at Ram & Co circle or Jayadeva circle.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
This was a very beautiful route. Again we returned after some 40 mins into the drive when the road became too bad (till then it was amazing road, suddenly it turned bad).
That road is very beautiful.. I mean very scenic to drive...
But it's in very bad condition. Hope I had warned you about this.
We had taken this route in I20 sometime back, It was scary at some places due to the potholes and road condition. A Jeep/SUV is fine here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You should certainly try the masale mandakki and masale avalakki. They are even better. You can have them at Ram & Co circle or Jayadeva circle.
Thanks...
Isn't Masaley mandakki = Churumuri ?
Old 29th June 2011, 11:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That road is very beautiful.. I mean very scenic to drive...
But it's in very bad condition. Hope I had warned you about this.
We had taken this route in I20 sometime back, It was scary at some places due to the potholes and road condition. A Jeep/SUV is fine here.

Thanks...
Isn't Masaley mandakki = Churumuri ?
Masale Madakki is much more wetter than churmuri. Its to be eaten sooner when the mandakki is still crisp. They make that out of avalakki too. You wont find this anywhere else outside Davanagere. Girmit is very oily compared to this. Its not that old and seems like developed not more than 15 years ago.
Old 1st July 2011, 15:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You can have them at Ram & Co circle or Jayadeva circle.
Jayadeva Circle in Chikamanglur?

All,
Would be starting off on my trip from tomorrow. Route map has been shared in my earlier posts. Will be starting by 5 in the morning. Will try to keep so live scrapping based on the connections.

@ VW,
Looks like you had a good trip
Old 10th July 2011, 23:51   #73
BHPian

Thank you Fauji for starting this thread and inspiring me to a monsoon trip towards thirthalli
I'm just back from a super trip to agumbe, shall try to post a detailed TL soon.
Old 11th July 2011, 20:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Thank you Fauji for starting this thread and inspiring me to a monsoon trip towards thirthalli
I'm just back from a super trip to agumbe, shall try to post a detailed TL soon.
Welcome Sir!! Waiting to see the refreshing pictures of Agumbe and surroundings from your trip.
Old 11th July 2011, 22:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Welcome Sir!! Waiting to see the refreshing pictures of Agumbe and surroundings from your trip.
Fauji, actually I was expecting some pics from you!! Weren't you supposed to have been in this region by now? If your trip is this weekend, then we will meet in Bananki.

Prasad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks