Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:47   #121
BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Folks, We will be travelling to Kudremukh during 2nd week of OCT. Have booked accomodation at Silent Valley (Kalasa). The route mentioned in their website is:
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldoor-Magundi-Balehole-Kalasa-SilentValley

Please let me know:

1) If the route mentioned above is doable in All New Honda City (2 adults + 2 kids + luggage) according to present road conditions. If not, please suggest alternate routes (scenic, short and comfortable)
2) Resort also mentions about the following places of visit during our stay:

IN AND AROUND KALASA:

Duggapanna Katte
Girijamba Temple
Horanadu Temple
Kaleshwara Temple
Kallubhavi
Pancha Theerthas
Subramanya Temple

IN AND AROUND KUDREMUKH
Bhagawati Forest
Ganga Moola
Hanuman Gundi
Kudremukh (Malleshwar)
Kudremukh Iron Ore Company
Varaha Theertha

Please let me know from your experience whether we can drive to all these places or is it advisable to hire a cab due to bad stretches.

3) Any other places of visit also welcome since we would love to drive and cover maximum that we can during our 3 nights stay over there.

Thanks in advance,
Kiran
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:55   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
The route mentioned in their website is:
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldoor-Magundi-Balehole-Kalasa-SilentValley
A much better alternative is this - should take you no more than 5.5-6 hours from Nelamangala.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A much better alternative is this - should take you no more than 5.5-6 hours from Nelamangala.
Thanks cool_dube. I was just editing the thread to include another route that they had mentioned:
Bangalore -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kelagur -Kalasa
How is this route?
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:00   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks cool_dube. I was just editing the thread to include another route that they had mentioned:
Bangalore -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kelagur -Kalasa
How is this route?
This is the route charted out in the GMap link I posted earlier. Excellent roads most of the way except for the last 8-10 kms before Kalasa.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is the route charted out in the GMap link I posted earlier. Excellent roads most of the way except for the last 8-10 kms before Kalasa.
Yep. I reviewed it soon after I responded to you. How about the visit to near by places that I have mentioned in my initial post? Are they doable in our own car or is it better to hire cab? Any other interesting places apart from these?
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about the visit to near by places that I have mentioned in my initial post? Are they doable in our own car or is it better to hire cab? Any other interesting places apart from these?
Sorry - not much idea. Both the times that I have been to Kudremukha (stayed at Silent Valley once) I have visited Hanuman Gundi falls (which is a mini-trek from the main road) only. Most of my time was spent driving around the main road or lazing around at the resort.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IN AND AROUND KALASA:

Duggapanna Katte
Girijamba Temple
Horanadu Temple
Kaleshwara Temple
Kallubhavi
Pancha Theerthas
Subramanya Temple
You can add Ambu Theertha near Kalasa/Horanadu to the list

Quote:
IN AND AROUND KUDREMUKH
Bhagawati Forest
Ganga Moola
Hanuman Gundi
Kudremukh (Malleshwar)
Varaha Theertha
For the Iron Ore plant, you will have to get permission from the KIOCL office in Bangalore. This is what I heard when I went there a couple of years back.

Ganga Moola and Hanuman Gundi falls are located on the Kudremukh-Karkala main road. You need to park the car on the main road and get down a few steps to reach the falls. For Ganga Moola also, you have to park the car on the main road and walk for almost 1.5-2 kms. There is a dirt road which goes till the edge of the forest, but I doubt if your City can take it.

Malleshwara and Bhagavathi are forest ranges in the Kudremukh National Park and not any specific places as such. When you drive through the National Park on the main road, you will pass both these ranges. AFAIK, there are no other routes where you are allowed to take you private vehicles. IIRC, you pass through Bhagavathi range after the Kudremukh township.

There is a place called Bhagavathi Nature Camp run by the Forest Department. You can go there and spend some time in the Bhadra river which flows by the camp. Some pics can be found here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2089147

One more place to see is Lakya Dam. Unlike other dams, this does not contain water, but the waste products of the Iron Ore plant. You can go to the dam in the City.This is just a few minutes after Kudremukh Township.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:43   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

There is a place called Bhagavathi Nature Camp run by the Forest Department. You can go there and spend some time in the Bhadra river which flows by the camp. Some pics can be found here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2089147

One more place to see is Lakya Dam. Unlike other dams, this does not contain water, but the waste products of the Iron Ore plant. You can go to the dam in the City.This is just a few minutes after Kudremukh Township.
Bhagavathi nature camp appeared deserted. But sounded like a decent place. Just ensure that you have taken permission to spend enough time in all these places at the forest checkpost.

There was not even a drop of water in Lakya dam on 22-Sep as seen in the pic below. You are allowed to walk on dam, but not take pics while on dam. Photography is OK from the gates, didn't understand the logic though.
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-img_2546.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 11:21   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Just ensure that you have taken permission to spend enough time in all these places at the forest checkpost.
@Prasad: what kind of permission do we have to obtain at the checkpost? Any procedures/documents needed or just verbal approval should do?

Quote:
You can add Ambu Theertha near Kalasa/Horanadu to the list
Thanks for your inputs mate. Ambu Theertha added to the list. I visited the link that you had provided and found it real good. Thanks again.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
There was not even a drop of water in Lakya dam on 22-Sep as seen in the pic below. You are allowed to walk on dam, but not take pics while on dam. Photography is OK from the gates, didn't understand the logic though.
Even I have never seen water in this dam. Apparently they are using the dam to dump the waste generated from the Iron pore plant.

Quote:
@Prasad: what kind of permission do we have to obtain at the checkpost? Any procedures/documents needed or just verbal approval should do?

Thanks for your inputs mate. Ambu Theertha added to the list. I visited the link that you had provided and found it real good. Thanks again.
No Problem.

When you enter Kudremukh National Park, the person at the checkpost issues a 'pass' which will be valid for a certain period of time (IIRC 2hrs). You will have to exit the national park within this timeframe. This time will be checked when you exit the National park. When you reach the checkpost, just let them know that you will be visiting these places and will come back. They will issue the 'pass' accordingly.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:01   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Even I have never seen water in this dam. Apparently they are using the dam to dump the waste generated from the Iron pore plant.

No Problem.

When you enter Kudremukh National Park, the person at the checkpost issues a 'pass' which will be valid for a certain period of time (IIRC 2hrs). You will have to exit the national park within this timeframe. This time will be checked when you exit the National park. When you reach the checkpost, just let them know that you will be visiting these places and will come back. They will issue the 'pass' accordingly.
Sorry to bother you again dude. Just to be more specific, it would help if you can tell me whether all the places from the list below come under the national park coverage so that I can include them in the permission request at the checkpost

Bhagawati Forest
Ganga Moola
Hanuman Gundi
Kudremukh (Malleshwar)
Lakya Dam
Varaha Theertha
Old 4th October 2012, 12:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to bother you again dude. Just to be more specific, it would help if you can tell me whether all the places from the list below come under the national park coverage so that I can include them in the permission request at the checkpost

Bhagawati Forest
Ganga Moola
Hanuman Gundi
Kudremukh (Malleshwar)
Lakya Dam
Varaha Theertha
All these places come under the national park limits. Don't know about Varaha theertha though, I haven't heard about it. Just tell the guys at the check post that you intend to visit these places and come back. Also ask if they can suggest any other places. It should not be a problem at all.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 12:23   #133
BHPian

Quote:
All these places come under the national park limits. Don't know about Varaha theertha though, I haven't heard about it. Just tell the guys at the check post that you intend to visit these places and come back. Also ask if they can suggest any other places. It should not be a problem at all.
Now that we are all set with the places of visit, any inputs on stop overs for breakfast during our onward journey to Kalasa from Bangalore?

We are planning to start from Bangalore (Marathhalli) at 5.00AM.

Route: Bangalore -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kelagur -Kalasa
Old 4th October 2012, 13:18   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Now that we are all set with the places of visit, any inputs on stop overs for breakfast during our onward journey to Kalasa from Bangalore?

We are planning to start from Bangalore (Marathhalli) at 5.00AM.

Route: Bangalore -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kelagur -Kalasa
1. Possibly the best place in terms of ambience would be the Kamat
Upachar a few kms after Channarayapatna to your right. You'd be
there by 7:30-7:45AM.

2. If the above is too early there are some decent hotels in Belur in the
main road by about 8:45-9AM.

3. Kottigehara has several shack/hut kind of a thing if you are comfortable.
My favourite is "Udupi hotel" right in front of the bus stand for mouth
watering "neer dosa" and "mangalore buns. You'd be there by
9:30-9:45AM.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 14:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We usually stop at Aadya's (almost bang opposite the Kamath recommended by prasad14) - this is about 20 kms before Hassan. If you have kids traveling with you, they will enjoy the open space, the pigeons, and a play area with some swings. The food there has never disappointed us plus it is less crowded than Kamath.

If that is too early, the next best option is Hoysala Resort which is about 5 kms after Hassan on the Belur road.

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th October 2012 at 14:40.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks