Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 16:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
A friend is planning to drive from Mumbai to Nagpur. Please guide on which route should he take? He will be driving a Dzire.
I think he should stick to the plain vanilla route of NH3-NH6, via Nashik, Malegaon, Dhulia, Jalgaon, Khamgaon, Akola & Amaravati.

He should leave early and cross Nashik before 7 am or so because road widening approaching and existing the city is in a mess and sees huge traffic jams by day.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 11:11   #77
BHPian

Thanks Kumar for the response.

I am planning a family trip to Jaisalmer starting next Saturday. What route should I take from Mumbai?

The tentative plan is:

22nd Mumbai - Jaisalmer
23rd Jaisalmer site seeing
24th Jaisalmer Jodhpur
24th Second half, Jodhpur site seeing
25th Jodhpur site seeing and start for Jaipur
26th Diwali at home in Jaipur
30th Start back for Mumbai

The alternate plan is to be at Jaipur first for Diwali

22nd Mumbai - Jaipur
27th Jaipur - Jodhpur
28th Jodhpur site seeing
29th Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
30th Jaisalmer site seeing
31st Jaisalmer - Mumbai

I plan to do a one day trip to the Black Buck Sanctuary in Churu district; post Diwali in first plan, and pre Diwali in second plan.

Request suggestions on routes and ideas on bettering the itineraries proposed. Also if someone could help with places to stay in Jaisalmer. I propose to stick to RTDC hotels. In Jaisalmer though, we may want to spend a night in tents around Sam. How expensive is it? We are on a VERY tight budget.

Cheers!

DM

PS. This thread seems to be dormant, though by the purpose of the thread (as the name suggests), it should be one of the most active threads.
Old 17th October 2011, 11:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am planning a family trip to Jaisalmer starting next Saturday. What route should I take from Mumbai?

The tentative plan is:

22nd Mumbai - Jaisalmer
24th Jaisalmer Jodhpur

22nd Mumbai - Jaipur
27th Jaipur - Jodhpur
28th Jodhpur site seeing
29th Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
31st Jaisalmer - Mumbai

I plan to do a one day trip to the Black Buck Sanctuary in Churu district; post Diwali in first plan, and pre Diwali in second plan.

Request suggestions on routes and ideas on bettering the itineraries proposed. Also if someone could help with places to stay in Jaisalmer. I propose to stick to RTDC hotels. In Jaisalmer though, we may want to spend a night in tents around Sam. How expensive is it? We are on a VERY tight budget.

Cheers!

DM

PS. This thread seems to be dormant, though by the purpose of the thread (as the name suggests), it should be one of the most active threads.
Driving Mumbai-Jaisalmer in one day in this season sounds a little too ambitious. Why? Diwali traffic in South GUjarat will be high. Slower pace on NH8 till Surat will also delay you.

roamingrao who went on the NH15 to Jaislamer recently reported some bad roads around Tharad/Sanchore, but for most part roads are fabulous.

Roads from Ajmer to Kishangarh are terrible thanks to road widening (Jodhpur-Jaipur).
Old 17th October 2011, 12:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Driving Mumbai-Jaisalmer in one day in this season sounds a little too ambitious. Why? Diwali traffic in South GUjarat will be high. Slower pace on NH8 till Surat will also delay you.

roamingrao who went on the NH15 to Jaislamer recently reported some bad roads around Tharad/Sanchore, but for most part roads are fabulous.

Roads from Ajmer to Kishangarh are terrible thanks to road widening (Jodhpur-Jaipur).
I would be following the early morning start so Surat should be done by around 8 am. Will traffic be a problem so early in the morning? Jaisalmer is 1065 km from Mumbai. Past Ahmedabad, I do not expect any traffic till Jaisalmer. The plan is to start at 3:45, be on the Ahmedabad ring road by 11: 30 and then drive through the day to reach Jaisalmer by dinner.

Am not sure of the route beyond Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer. Is it, via Sirohi, Barmer? Is the Road widening done between Beawar and Ajmer? I plan to avoid Ajmer. (approx) 10 km from Beawar there is a right (with adequate signage) that connect to GQ at Nasirabad. Two lane, fantastic toll road, minimal traffic, need to watch out for some unmarked speed breakers though.

Any comments on the schedule?
Old 17th October 2011, 13:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be following the early morning start so Surat should be done by around 8 am. Will traffic be a problem so early in the morning? Jaisalmer is 1065 km from Mumbai. Past Ahmedabad, I do not expect any traffic till Jaisalmer. The plan is to start at 3:45, be on the Ahmedabad ring road by 11: 30 and then drive through the day to reach Jaisalmer by dinner.

Am not sure of the route beyond Ahmedabad to Jaisalmer. Is it, via Sirohi, Barmer? Is the Road widening done between Beawar and Ajmer? I plan to avoid Ajmer. (approx) 10 km from Beawar there is a right (with adequate signage) that connect to GQ at Nasirabad. Two lane, fantastic toll road, minimal traffic, need to watch out for some unmarked speed breakers though.

Any comments on the schedule?
Problem with early morning starts on NH8 is the heavy truck traffic around 1-4 am. However, on certain days - say, Monday - traffic is sparse.

Targeting A'bad by 1130 am is a reasonable timeline.

Get onto the Ahmedabad Sardar Patel Ring Road towards Sarkej/Rajkot, then take the road to Gandhinagar-Mehsana. Route is via Mehsana, Palanpur, Disa (Radhanpur road) and join NH15 at Sanchore. Expect some bad roads in the Disa-Sanchore section. From Sanchore, it is one highway via Barmer to Jaisalmer.

Check out ranjitp1's excellent TL along this route sometime ago.
I can also PM you the links to my own log books on this route, but they are a little old.

Beawar-Ajmer road widening is still on, and it is terrible around Kishangarh, expect traffic jams too. Yes, going via Nasiraabad is a good idea.

You may also evaluate whether it makes sense to take the Jodhpur-Bikaner road till Nagaur, connect with Ladnun and then go to Jaipur from there on the Bkaner-Jaipur highway.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 13:19   #81
BHPian

Looks like a plan. The Ladnun route will give me an opportunity to drive through the desert a little more and I can do the Black Buck Sanctuary near Churu enroute. Saves me a day in all likelyhood. Shall check up the TLs recommended by you. Thanks Kumar!
Old 17th October 2011, 15:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tentative plan is:

22nd Mumbai - Jaisalmer
24th Jaisalmer Jodhpur

22nd Mumbai - Jaipur
27th Jaipur - Jodhpur
28th Jodhpur site seeing
29th Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
31st Jaisalmer - Mumbai

Cheers!

DM

This is the link to my travelogue and we did a similar circuit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...than-m800.html

Your plan to drive to Jaisalmer from Mumbai in one day is a little difficult IMO and specially considering that you are going to be roaming around Jaisalmer the next day.Theres hardly any time to recuperate.Ghodbunder-Amd is a 9hour drive and Amd-Jaisalmer is another 10-11 hour drive and driving the lonely(it really is lonely and isolated)NH15 from Deesa onwards is not something that you would want to do in the late evenings.There would not be a soul in sight.

Even the other plan of driving Mumbai-Jaipur one day is going to be a tiring drive .Mumbai-Amd 9hours at best,Amd-Udaipur:4-5hrs.Udaipur-Jaipur:8hours.That is close to 22hrs of driving.Not sure if thats exciting.Equally difficult is going to be your Jaisalmer-Mumbai drive on the last day.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 12:59   #83
BHPian

Thanks Ranjitp1 for sharing the thread. Info there is invaluable and the pics are lovely. I follow HVK's logs and do Mumbai - Ahmedabad in 7 hours. And Mumbai - Jaipur in 16 hours. Have taken your word of caution about lonely road that leads to Jaisalmer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers!

DM
Old 19th October 2011, 01:43   #84
BHPian

HVK/dushmish
hi
On 16th september when driving from rattangarh to chittaurgarh i passed through Kishangarh town.
It wasnt as bad as when i went from chittaurgarh to rattangarh without going inside the town
Incidentally stopped at pahadia's to have daal kachoris madi in pure ghee.Great
hope this helps
rgds
Old 19th October 2011, 02:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Sir , is it better now , I am planning to commute from Pune - Jaipur on 22nd Oct (Diwali breaks) and would be crossing this junction around late evening hours . Is it advisable to take the Golden Bridge instead ?
HVK/Jealousdiamond
definitely take the golden bridge at bharuch.You save on distance and toll.
On a working day at six in the evening I could drive through 2nd/3rd gear. Did not have to totally stop at any place except had to crawl in the 1st gear before the entrance of the bridge for maybe 5 minutes.
Please do fold your side view mirrors
Hope this helps.
Regards
Old 29th October 2011, 16:06   #86
BHPian

3 days in coastal Karnataka - road condition

The plan is as follows:

Day 0 night/Day 1 - Start from Bangalore. Head directly to Kukke Subramanya, visit temple and head to parent's place at Mangalore.

Route suggested by Google Maps: Bangalore->Jalahalli->Nelamangala->Kunigal (NH 48 starts)->Channarayapattana->Hassan->Sakleshpur->Gundya->Subramanya.
286 kms

Suramanya->Kadaba->Uppinangadi->Bantwal->Mangalore
105 kms

Visit parent's at Mangalore. Have to start early the next day as we have to visit family deities at Neelavara (Padematha between Kota and Hebri) and Kandavara (off Kundapura on the Basrur-Hunsemakki Road).

So, Day2 (and the drive on coastal roads begin)
:
Mangalore->Surathkal (NH17 starts)->Kaup->Pademath
85 kms

Pademath->Dangarudde Forest->Kota (back on NH17)->Kundapura
->Kandavara
44 kms

Kandavara->Kundapura->Join NH17->Hemmadi->Maravanthe
22 kms

P.S: Looking forward to driving on the famous Maravanthe road where - on one side is sea(salt water) and the other side of the road is sweet water.

Attachment 834068

Will spend the night at Maravanthe.

Day 3
Maravanthe->Baindur->Bhatkal->Mavalli->Murudeshwara
51 kms

Spend some time in Murudeshwara, and start to Jog Falls.

Murudeshwara->Mavalli->Bhatkal->Jog Falls
91kms

Since the best place to stay near Jog Falls is Sirsi, we head to Sirisi and spend the night there.

Jog Falls->Siddapura->Sirsi.
63 kms
Halt at Sirsi.

Day4:
Sirsi->Sahasra Linga
14 kms

Sahasra Linga->Sirsi->Bandala->Devimane->Yana
68 kms

Hope to complete Yana trek by lunch time and start back to Bangalore.Yana->Devimane->Bandala->Sirsi->Ranebennur->Harihar->Davangere->Chitradurga->Sira->Tumkur->Nelamangala->Bangalore.
470 kms

Total Trip: 1295 kms

I am new to these routes and all the planning is based on suggestion from google maps. If there is an alternative better route or if the road condition is bad in the selected route, please feel free to suggest. Thanks in advance, Vasanth
Old 30th October 2011, 10:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 days in coastal Karnataka - road condition

Hello Vasant, Since you plan to travel by shiradi ghat which is in worst condition expect similar roads between Bhatkal-Jog falls or bhatkal-honnavar-jog falls hence avoid jog from bhatkal or honnavar instead take it from sirsi. I suggest small tuning of the route plan as follows day3 onwards:

Expect bad roads between maravante - kumta (20% bad roads). If possible stay at murdeshwara on day 2 to save 2 hrs journey on day3. If you want to stay at maravante itself which is fine and plan as follows.

Day3) maravante - murdeshwara 50km (90min) - kumta 50km (90 min. have lunch at panduranga hotel which comes just after town left side of nh17 ) - within 4 km from kumta you cross aghanashani river and then turn right to devimane ghat - reach manjaguni (40km-60min) - there you turn left which goes via very old powerful manjaguni Temple (pay a visit if possible) - from there you get yaana road via devanahalli - mattighatta (decent road condition and you save 20+km) and reach yaana (30km-50min) - this area you get road for your car till last km. drive back via mattigatta - hegde katta - sirsi (45km-70min), if you have time visit sahasra linga on day 3 itself. where you plan to stay in sirsi ? if you trekk 10km in yaana it would eat your time and avoid visiting yaana from kumta side you need to climb steps and trekk long compared to you approach yaana from devanahalli - mattighatta side. Near sahasra linga (just a river and hanging bridge) I know a homestay located in super place. Else stay in pachavati hotel in sirsi. Let me know where you want to stay in sirsi because I can suggest one more short cut route where you can visit sahasra linga also while coming from yaana. Expect amazing single lane road these areas, Watch out for speedy bikes and blind curves.

day 4) sirsi 8am - take kumta road - turn left to unchalli falls in ammenalli (15km) - reach uncalli falls (25km, you will love this falls) 9am and from there ask for siddapura road - jog falls (less water) 11am - shimoga-2pm - bangalore-8pm. I know you will loose 1 hr if you come via shimoga road but still it is worth it since you can visit 2 water falls and both are easily accessible.

I am sure you will love this circuit :-) PM me for more details.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th October 2011 at 10:39.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 19:00   #88
BHPian

Thanks Ravi Bhat.

Taking up almost all of your suggestions, and thanks for all the guidance via PM and call.

Will keep you posted on the final plan.
Old 30th October 2011, 22:43   #89
BHPian

The plan changed slightly based on the feedback from Ravibhat (He is from that area and knows the roads well) and based on parents' schedule.
Day 1: Bangalore-> Kukke Subramanya-> Mangalore
Day 2: Mangalore-> 2 temples at Kundapura -> Maravanthe->Back to Mangalore.
Day 3: Murudeshwara-> Kumta->Devimane Ghat -> Manjaguni -> devanahalli-mattighatta -> Yana.
Day 3 (contd..): mattigatta -> hegde katta -> sirsi -> sahasra linga
Day 4: Sirsi-> unchalli falls in ammenalli -> siddapura road -> jog falls - shimoga - bangalore.

I had some confusion regarding the route to take to go to Kukke Subramanya. I was told the Hassan-Shiradi road is not good and was thinking of taking the Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia route though it is a little longer hoping the road is better. But, I just got to know that the Mysore route is also not good, and the shiradi ghat road is a better option. Shiradi Ghat it is!
Old 31st October 2011, 06:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how is the Karad - Kokrud - Ambeghat - Ratnagiri route? Also how about the road to Lanja and then on to Devi Hasol - Adivare - Ratnagiri?

Are there any alternatives to the above route when returning from either Ratnagiri or Lanja to Pune? Say the Tamhini ghat? How's the road there?

Most Viewed