Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2007, 18:01   #16
BHPian

blr kannur

hi all,

i frequently travel by car on this route the best one in all terms is
blr-mysore-nanjangud-gundulpet-sutan battery-meenangadi-mananthavady-koothuparamba-kannur
Old 19th February 2007, 13:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
hi all,

i frequently travel by car on this route the best one in all terms is
blr-mysore-nanjangud-gundulpet-sutan battery-meenangadi-mananthavady-koothuparamba-kannur
After mananthavady you will find buses going towards kannur, you can follow them in the ghats this will ease the pain of watching those blind turns which are plenty in this route,they do speeds upto 60-80kmph on those roads.
Old 20th April 2007, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just to refresh, had been upto the checkpost on the HDKote - Bavalli stretch on the Mysore - Mananthavady road. The road is extremely good till the Nagarhole Park entrance. After which it is reasonably bad till about 5 kms after the Karapura (Kabini River Lodge) turnoff. While speaking with the folks there, they confirmed that the road is non existent beyond the checkpost upto Bavalli on the Karnataka - Kerala border. (It was pretty much the same when I made a mistake to take this road from Mananthavady) With reference to the Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta road, the latest update is after Murkal the road has been relaid for about 10 more kms. Effectively you would have about 20 kms of bad road (from within the the Nagarhole NP upto the Karnataka - Kerala border on the Kutta - Tholpetty Road) It is advisable to avoid the first one at any cost and preferable to avoid the second as well.

I think Ad75's suggestion is the best of all, as I did the same route when I came back from Tholpetty to Bangalore.

Cheers.

Srikanth
Old 19th July 2007, 11:04   #19
BHPian

need help

have dug up an old thread as i did not want to start a new one for this query

im planing to travel bangalore-kannur this saturday.

im told that mananthavady kannur route is blocked due to landslides.
the calicut route also ssems to have water logging in some areas.

does anyone have the lates update on the route?what are the other options other than mangalore & kabini?
kutta route also is having water loggin

need help
Old 19th July 2007, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

There is another route -

Bangalore-Hunsur-Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Kanjangad-Kannur. About 470 kms. The ghats had newly laid roads in March this year, but there are some bad streches as well. Manageable, though.

A lot could have happened between March and now, but should be doable, IMO.
Old 19th July 2007, 19:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
have dug up an old thread as i did not want to start a new one for this query

im planing to travel bangalore-kannur this saturday.

im told that mananthavady kannur route is blocked due to landslides.
the calicut route also ssems to have water logging in some areas.

does anyone have the lates update on the route?what are the other options other than mangalore & kabini?
kutta route also is having water loggin

need help
Ad, there is another route via Kottiyoor isn't it? Where exactly is the road blocked?
Old 19th July 2007, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Ad, there is another route via Kottiyoor isn't it? Where exactly is the road blocked?
no clue on this route(kottiyoor).dont know where the block is.its only the news,which says that kannur waynad route is blocked due to landslides.

I did check with the bus service guys(ashoka/golden) their buses are going via virajpet, but they said roads are bad and would be difficult for a car.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:32   #23
BANNED

Virajpet - Iritty - Mattannur stretch is horrid. Especially during monsoon (At least during 2006 July till November), the roads simply did not exist. First hand experience.
Vehicles not concerned with permit restrictions (that is, all vehicles except route buses) took the Mananthavady route to go to Mysore from Kannur.
See this link - Kannur travel guide - Wikitravel
Mysore - Mangalore - Kasargod is a very long road, but excellent condition.
Old 20th July 2007, 10:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
no clue on this route(kottiyoor).dont know where the block is.its only the news,which says that kannur waynad route is blocked due to landslides.

I did check with the bus service guys(ashoka/golden) their buses are going via virajpet, but they said roads are bad and would be difficult for a car.
Yes, I came by that route some 2 months back, Ghat sections are in %@@%#$(not getting words to describe the dreadful condition) state. This part of the road is in terrible condition for last so many years

why dont you try Mangalroe route, with a diversion to Puthoor and then to NH 17. If I remember correctly, that would be around 100 kms more than Virajpet and almost same as Mananthavady route.
Old 20th July 2007, 16:19   #25
BHPian

sivadas, you are right
mangalore route is the only safest one among the options available.
it will be approx 450kms (blr-puttur -310kms, puttur-kannur - 140kms )

do you know the route from puttur - kannur ?
Old 20th July 2007, 16:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

mysore-nanjangud-gundulpet-sutan battery-meenangadi-mananthavady
or
mysore - hunsur - nagarhole- kutta - tholpetty- mananthavady
__________________________________________________ ___________
which is the better route? can someone put the actual distance between places to get an idea of travel time? what would be the road conditions during next month?
Old 20th July 2007, 18:27   #27
BANNED

Kottiyoor is about 30 or 40 KM from Mananthavady. From Kottiyor, you can reach Thalassery or Mattanoor (your choice), and then proceed to Kanur.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:31   #28
BHPian

hey guys,
had been to kannur and am back

bangalore - kannur
route - hassan - sakleshpur - uppinangadi - puttur - kabaka - vitla -kasargod - payyanur - kannur - 495kms from koramangala.it took me 2 hrs 2 reach nelamangala.sakleshpur ghats were horrble.worst roads i ve ever driven in my life.therez no road.took me 2 hrs and a bent rim to cover 30 kms of ghats.time taken-12hrs -breaks - 1hr (total).

kannur - bangalore

kootuparamba-mananthavady-panamaram - meenangadi - s.battery-gundulpet-nanjangud-mysore-bangalore 408kms.could see signs of landslides,fallen trees.fortunately they had cleared it for traffic.route from kannur-kootuparamba is bad.time 12hrs - breaks 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 5th November 2007, 01:42   #29

Hi. Am planning to go to Mananthavadi next week to get my dog away from the crackers in Bangalore. Planning to drive in a Santro Xing from Bangalore. Have not done much long distance driving. So there will be 3 females, 1 male and a dog in the car. What is the present state of the roads and which would be the best route for us to take? Considering none of us (including the dog) are terribly young, we'd like to take the easiest and safest route.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Bes route in the present circumstances is to go via Mysore, Gundulpet, Sultan's Battery to Manathavadi. This road is in good condition. Better to go this way than the Hunsur-Virajpet route. Does anyone have a curent update on the direct route to Manathavadi via H D Kote - last heard of, the Karnataka-Kerala border roads were non-existent?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks