Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 11:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Hi. Am planning to go to Mananthavadi next week to get my dog away from the crackers in Bangalore. Planning to drive in a Santro Xing from Bangalore. Have not done much long distance driving. So there will be 3 females, 1 male and a dog in the car. What is the present state of the roads and which would be the best route for us to take? Considering none of us (including the dog) are terribly young, we'd like to take the easiest and safest route.

As hv said, the route via Sultan Bathery is the best option. I had checked with the localites in sultan bathery and they told me the other option is not too good.

So its Bangalore->Mysore Ring road->Nanjangud-> Gundulpet -> Sultan Bathery->Mananthavadi.

Just got back y'day from Wayanad. Mysore to Gundulpet is mostly ok roads. Gundulpet to Forest area starting is bad. Roads are ok in most of the forest areas right uptil a few kms before the Kerala Border. Once you cross Kerala border the roads are absolutely great. Huge difference in road quality once you cross the border.
Old 6th November 2007, 01:42   #32

Thank you for the updated information. Feel much more confident about taking the trip. Intend to have a good time. Wish you all a great time too.
Old 11th November 2007, 16:11   #33

Hi. Am back. Went Bangalore -> Gundalpet -> Sultan Battery -> Mananthavadi and except for a few places, the road is in pretty good shape. In fact, it's much nicer than many of the roads in Bangalore.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:01   #34
BHPian

Thanks @ Hoss for the input,
As I am planning to go to Kannur to get my friend's 800 next week, Will be taking the Mananthavadi-Batttery Route back to bangalore, but unfortunately will have to travel on Hunsur-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattanur route as I am going by bus .
Old 11th November 2007, 19:40   #35
BHPian

Kannur --Virajpet route

Hi all
just came back from kannur, dont take the virajpet route, roads are horrible . For 30 kms it will take 2 .30 hrs to cross, leave the time it took for crossing , the torture of crossing is too much , i took my 2 months old aveo , every bit of it got bumped and that to there are some stretch which made me think how to cross it , my brother was walking faster than my vechile. really a nightmare , please dont go in this route, i have taken some snaps of the road , will post later. i have seen some post which say kerela roads are "mars" , got thorugh this route, i bet u will land in jupiter.

today night i sure to get nightmare of those rodas, deeply shaken by the road which i have seen.

pics will follow soon
Old 11th November 2007, 20:56   #36
BHPian

the road to hell ...
Old 19th November 2007, 14:13   #37

hi going to kannur this weekend could someone give me the exact route from bangalore (good route) ... travelling by car with family and my daughter of 11 months...thanks
Old 19th November 2007, 17:25   #38
BHPian

hi binds
i dont know if i am late, go in the route which hoss is suggesting , bit longer but worth taking it otherwise the route i took virajpet route , it was hell ...
Old 20th November 2007, 18:18   #39

Bangalore to Kannur - Road info needed

thanks a lot but the route hoss is suggesting ends at Manathanvadi - how far is kannur from there...
Old 20th November 2007, 18:29   #40

hi thanks for this but i am not sure if that is the full route (it ends at Manathanvadi) - not sure how far is kannur from here
Old 20th November 2007, 19:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binds View Post
thanks a lot but the route hoss is suggesting ends at Manathanvadi - how far is kannur from there...
The road to Manathavady goes from Mysore via H D Kote. Apparently, the 20-30 kms of Karnataka-Kerala border between H D Kote and M'Vady is as bad as the road through Virajpet. From Manathavady, the road goes to Kannur via Kuthuparamba. Distance from manathavdy to Kannur is approximately 70 kms. It may be a better idea to get to manathavady by taking the Ooty road from Mysore via Gundulpet and Sultan's Battery (upto SB, road is good, although I have no knowledge of roads from SB to M'Vady).
Old 30th November 2007, 13:53   #42

Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg-Kannur road

Has anyone travelled to Kannur via Coorg-Virajpet recently? How's the road condition? I know it was pretty bad last year but has it been repaired? I plan to drive down in my zen estilo during x-mas. Appreciate any pointers....thanx
Old 30th November 2007, 17:43   #43
HKP
BHPian

Don't even think about it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave70 View Post
I plan to drive down in my zen estilo
I went to kannur last weekend, in Bus. Road is non existent after virajpet. While going my bus got stuck in a ditch and the bumper came off!! while coming back the Ashoka travels bus got stuck in a turning and took 1 hour to come out of it.

If the bus is finding it difficult, how a zen esitlo will cope. No small vehicles use this route nowadays. The Wynad (mananthavady) route is better and the Calicut route is the best if you still want to drive down. But it will take more time.

\\hkp
Old 30th November 2007, 18:46   #44
BHPian

Virajpet to kerala border is absolutely horrible.
I drove from kannur to virajpet recently. the worst strech is between kerala border to virajpet.
16kms took me around 3-4 hours, all 1st & 2nd gears on my santro.
road is deserted, forest strech, not even a tea shop.
apart from this strech rest of the route is good.
Old 1st December 2007, 10:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Virajpet to kerala border is absolutely horrible.
I drove from kannur to virajpet recently. the worst strech is between kerala border to virajpet.
16kms took me around 3-4 hours, all 1st & 2nd gears on my santro.
road is deserted, forest strech, not even a tea shop.
apart from this strech rest of the route is good.
Are the trucks taking this route at all, or are they going some other route? Any signs of repair work?

Most Viewed