Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 22:16   #151
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Trying different/experimental routes for Goa has been disastrous for some of us
You can say that again!

I went ahead with Raichur road in Jan first week this year, more than a thousand speedbreakers greeted me in form of triplets, though the road looked as if it WAS good. Must go through NH if re-laid else Bijapur. NH4A (Londa Ponda) was in good condition except for the mad trucks!
Old 14th April 2011, 23:12   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
You can say that again!

I went ahead with Raichur road in Jan first week this year, more than a thousand speedbreakers greeted me in form of triplets, though the road looked as if it WAS good. Must go through NH if re-laid else Bijapur. NH4A (Londa Ponda) was in good condition except for the mad trucks!
what is the route that you have taken ? Otherthan the speed breakers, have you experienced any bad stretches.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:29   #153
Senior - BHPian

Lingasugur route to Belgaum is good,A friend took it a couple of weeks back and reported it to be very good.NH4A is in good condition as well from Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim.You might encoutner some potholes between Londa & Mollem.Else stick to Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa if your final destination is north Goa.NH63 (Hospet to Hubli) is still not in the best of motoring conditions.However NH63 between Hubli and Ankola has been done up and is in supreme condition.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:35   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I'm driving out on April 22 and returning on April 28 or 29. After much thought I've decided I'm going to be based in Calangute as it's central enough to cover the entire state.

The plan is to do each way in one day each, so I'm looking for a good, fast route that's low-GC-sedan-friendly . Nice scenery is a plus, but given that it's approaching peak summer I don't expect to find too much of it.

The other major concern is harassment by cops when they see an AP-registered car. I've heard here and there that cops on the AP-Mah border are particularly irksome in this regard. This and pointers any other irritants to watch out for - and mitigate - are solicited and will be highly appreciated.

After much researching on the forums I think there are basically three general route options.

Option 1: Hyderabad -> NH9 -> Sholapur -> Mohol -> Pandharpur -> Miraj -> Chikodi -> Nipani (or Hurkeri?) -> Sankeshwar -> Gadhinglaj -> Amboli -> Savantvadi -> Vengurla -> Mapusa -> Calangute

One alternative based on this general route is Homnabad -> Gulbarga -> Jevargi -> Bijapur -> Athni -> Miraj. Another is Sholapur -> Bijapur -> Athni -> Miraj.

Option 2: Hyderabad -> Jadcherla -> Mahbubnagar -> Raichur -> Lingsugur -> Mudgal -> Hungund -> Bagalkot -> Belgaum -> Amboli -> and then as in Option 1

Option 3: Till Mudgal as in Option 2, and then -> Kushtagi -> Gajendragarh -> Gadag -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Polem -> Palolem

I know from a very old bus ride experience not to even think about Hubli -> Dharwad -> Alnavar -> Londa -> Ponda. I also remember from the return bus route that Karwar -> Hubli (reverse in Option 3) was fantastic.

I request the experts, frequent and recent travellers to suggest one of the above routes along with any necessary diversions/alterations that ensure peace of mind (read as: smoother, faster roads and less traffic).

@hvkumar, @mobike008, @ranjitp1, @SILVERWOOD: Guru log, please shine some light .

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th April 2011, 19:57   #155
BHPian

I suggest take option 1, I have used this route 5 times and last time being 7 weeks back.

First 2 times I did this route to and fro from hyd and back, later 3 times it was only return as I went to other places first and from there to goa.

Apart from the first time other 4 return routes were slightly modified between Sangole and Sholapur. Instead of doing Sangole - Pandharpur - Mohol - Sholapur I took Sangole - Mangalwedha - Sholapur. If I remember correctly it reduces only 20 kms of distance but also saves you from going through Pandharpur and avoiding traffic between Mohol and Sholapur.
IndianNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 20:17   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I suggest take option 1, I have used this route 5 times and last time being 7 weeks back.

Instead of doing Sangole - Pandharpur - Mohol - Sholapur I took Sangole - Mangalwedha - Sholapur. If I remember correctly it reduces only 20 kms of distance but also saves you from going through Pandharpur and avoiding traffic between Mohol and Sholapur.
Thank you, IndianNomad! The Mangalwedha "detour" suggestion is as awesome as they come.

The recency of your trip is also comforting.

How about harassment by cops and other irritants? Did you face any such issues at the various state borders?

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th April 2011, 21:32   #157
Senior - BHPian

Yes dont go to Pandharpur,its too chaotic.I take the Mangalwedha route and is usually good but pretty barren.I would suggest start on day 1 in the afternoon and stay the night at Solapur.Hotel City Park and Tripurasundari are the only decent options in town.Tripurasundari has been renovated and so is better now a days.Solapur desperately needs a good hotel(Sarovar is opening one soon)

Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangole Circle-Left Turn-Sangli-Kolhapur-NH4 Left Turn--Belgaum(go through the town,easy)-NH4A(Khanapur)-Londa-Mollem-Ponda

The NH4A is usually in tatters but it has been done up and is good now so you can take that no issues.

The other preferred route should be the Lingusugur one,till Hubli and then onwards to Belgaum.Alnavar section is bad as they are 4 laning the area till Londa.Once thats done it would be a beauty,but for now,stick to either NH4A or Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Calangute.

In Goa be sure not to overtake on the Panjim bridge as 9 times out of 10 you would be fined,and also be sure not to overtake on the sections marked as continuous thick lines,again 9 times out of 10 you would be stopped and fined.No harassment.

Solapur is the only place where you can be expected to be stopped by the cops.But now a days they have gone missing,so dont expect much,Just carry original DL,Insurance,Pollution thats all.Leave the rest to destiny!!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 22:01   #158
Senior - BHPian

Ranjit, first of all thanks for all of that awesome route information! Option 1 is decided now. I had earlier thought of a round trip (Option 1 onward, Option 3 return) but I won't do that now and will stick to Option 1 for both legs.

Thanks also for the Sholapur hotel suggestion. I wanted to have that information as insurance against some unforeseen delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In Goa be sure not to overtake on the Panjim bridge as 9 times out of 10 you would be fined,and also be sure not to overtake on the sections marked as continuous thick lines,again 9 times out of 10 you would be stopped and fined.No harassment.
I have driven before in Goa (rented car) so yeah I've seen this. The traffic there is so orderly and the people in general so peaceful on the roads that it really felt like Europe. There's no way I'll be event tempted to break rules with such nice people around! Even in Hyderabad I manage to stick to my lane 80% of the time. Goa should be a piece of cake that way .

The only vehicle on that bridge that I saw cutting the solid line was a cattle-mover taxi with an MH plate.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th April 2011, 10:21   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

+1 on this.

I love Goa police for this,they do not even spare govt owned transports on this.Driving in Goa has always been a pleasure.I have seen Goa police using interceptors as early as 2000, the cameras mounted on their cool looking contessa's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Ranjit, first of all thanks for all of that awesome route information! Option 1 is decided now.
This route would be ideal for your ride mate.

Drive safe.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:29   #160
Senior - BHPian

Option 1 is fine,just that dont go to Pandharpur,instead go via Mangalwedha-Sangole.Going to Pandharpur is a long detour and you end up coming back to Sangole Circle!

Calangute to Sainikpuri via Mangalwedha took us 13hrs in a M800,it should take the same or an hour more in todays condition.We broke journey at Solapur.So 8hrs (Leela-Solapur,with a break at Amboli) and then 4hrs (Solapur-Home).You should take lesser while going via NH4A
Old 19th April 2011, 13:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, IndianNomad! The Mangalwedha "detour" suggestion is as awesome as they come.

The recency of your trip is also comforting.

How about harassment by cops and other irritants? Did you face any such issues at the various state borders?

Regards,
spadix
The only place I was always stopped during my goa trips was at MH-Goa border checkpost which is near Banda. They just ask you for all the documents and check the car for liquor(if you are coming out of goa) and enter your vehicle details in the register along with the place you are coming for / intend to go.

If you have all the documents i.e DL and RC in original along with PUC and Vehicle Insurance then need not worry, just show them and carry on.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:21   #162
BHPian

Ok. Here is the route map that I did Hyderabad - Goa route. Believe.. the roads are very good.

The best route is

Hyderabad -> Mahabubnagar -> Raichur -> Sindanur -> Gangawati -> Koppur -> Gadag -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Panjim.

I did this trip in 14 hours flat in my innova.

There are lot of speed breakers but, the road is in good conditions leaving a few meters at Thermal power station [Raichur] .

Have fun

Yesterday I returned from Goa and this the latest info for people traveling to Goa.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th May 2011 at 10:23. Reason: back to back posts
contactme27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 11:01   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
The best route is

Hyderabad -> Mahabubnagar -> Raichur -> Sindanur -> Gangawati -> Koppur -> Gadag -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Panjim.
Its Koppal, probably was a typo.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:20   #164
Senior - BHPian

Here's the latest information from my trip. Many thanks to everyone for chipping in with ideas and suggestions! Special thanks to ranjitp1 especially and SILVERWOOD for providing "live" tips and info!

Onward route (Apr. 22): Hyderabad - Solapur - Mangalwedha - Kolhapur - Radhanagari - Phonda - Kankavli - Savantwadi - Mapusa - Calangute

Distance: ~740 kms (included ~10 kms of detours)
Time taken: ~15.5 hrs with breaks (0515 to 2045)
Road condition: Good to very good, except for a couple of kms in Kolhapur town near Phondaghat road entry. The road from Solapur to Kolhapur is not butter-smooth but there are no potholes or craters. Slow-moving traffic can be a pain though because it's an undivided two-lane.

This is actually a 13-14 hr route. I lost time due to two things -
  1. I lost half an hour in Kolhapur town finding out the alternate route to Phonda as the main route was closed due to repair. I started from home at 5:30 am and descended to Kankavli by around 5:45 pm, from where Panjim is around 110 kms away.
  2. There are two forks of the NH17 from Kankavli to Goa and I took the narrower, slower fork (via Savantwadi) by mistake. The Vengurla fork is much faster. It took me ~3 hrs from Kankavli to Calangute via this slower fork. I also slowed down considerably past 7 pm as I have poor night vision.

Return route (Apr. 28): Calangute - Margao - Cancona - Karwar - Ankola - Hubli - Gadag - Gajendragarh - Kushtagi - Sindhanur - Raichur - Mahbubnagar - Jadcherla - Hyderabad

Distance: 800 kms including a detour of around 10-12 km searching for Kamat at Ankola.
Time taken: ~16.25 hrs with breaks :( (0530 to 2145)
Road condition: Gadag - Sindhanur via Gajendragarh - Kushtagi - Sindhanur must be avoided at all costs. This 144 km stretch took me in excess of 3.5 hrs. This was "fast" because thankfully traffic was ultra-sparse. Congress was celebrating some election victories in a town enroute but that didn't cause too huge a hold-up.

For the most part it's just a single lane road with steep edges, which means you must almost come to a standstill in a low-GC sedan whenever there's oncoming traffic, of which there is thankfully little. The road gets progressively worse. Even up to Kushtagi there are enough stretches where one can comfortably do 3 figures, but care must be exercised as potholes and craters and speed-breakers can emerge suddenly. As long as you're on the road and not off it, GC isn't an issue. Beyond Kushtagi however the road is non-existent. There are just a few patches of 40-50 m of road in an endless run of broken, cratered, potholed track. Only two-wheelers and one adventurous KSRTC bus were comfortable on this stretch. Everyone from 3-wheeler transporters to trucks to tractors were busy snaking across the width of the road trying to find the smoothest path.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 2nd May 2011 at 15:21.
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:59   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the latest information from my trip. Many thanks to everyone for chipping in with ideas and suggestions! Special thanks to ranjitp1 especially and SILVERWOOD for providing "live" tips and info!

Onward route (Apr. 22): Hyderabad - Solapur - Mangalwedha - Kolhapur - Radhanagari - Phonda - Kankavli - Savantwadi - Mapusa - Calangute

Return route (Apr. 28): Calangute - Margao - Cancona - Karwar - Ankola - Hubli - Gadag - Gajendragarh - Kushtagi - Sindhanur - Raichur - Mahbubnagar - Jadcherla - Hyderabad

Distance: 800 kms including a detour of around 10-12 km searching for Kamat at Ankola.
Time taken: ~16.25 hrs with breaks :( (0530 to 2145)

I have done the route by which you had come from Goa via Ankola and Hubli.
You should have continued after Gadag upto Koppal and then to Budugumpa cross.From there upto Raichur it is excellent road that you must have encountered between Sindannur to Raichur.
The stretch between Koppal and Budugumpa cross is a single road about 18-20kms but drivable.
How did you miss the Kamat at Ankola

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th May 2011 at 10:22. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large posts. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks