Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 10:57   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ark View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,
I'm planning for a road trip from Hyderabad to Goa in my Scorpio.
I prefer daytime driving(early start-off) & smooth roads.
Need help regarding which route to take.
I too prefer driving during day times and if your going to North Goa then take this route outlined in my Goa travelogue:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2703248

I started from home at 5am and reached by 5pm to Goa. Flat 10 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
I was also under the impression that this road is good throughout.
Krishnan, I note your taking the same route. But, why do you want to stop at Bijapur? you can do it in one stretch if you start early from hyderabad.

Btw, since your staying in S.Goa this route will be longer too as you will first hit N.Goa then you cross Panjim city then move towards S.Goa which is a good 80kms away.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 12:32   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Krishnan, I note your taking the same route. But, why do you want to stop at Bijapur? you can do it in one stretch if you start early from hyderabad.

Btw, since your staying in S.Goa this route will be longer too as you will first hit N.Goa then you cross Panjim city then move towards S.Goa which is a good 80kms away.
I guess he is headed to Hyatt,which is just about 30kms from Panjim.So this route should be ok as the other two options are longer and roads suspect.NH4A is prone to potholes and NH63 is too much of a detour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
Park Hyatt.
I dont think you would want to venture out of the hotel.It has the longest pool in Goa winding its way all through the property and plus an outdoor jacuzzi.Do not opt for the sea facing rooms as like any Goa hotel,the beach is miles away from the closest building.Service is topnotch,opt for the 1st floor rooms as they come with better views and balconies and privacy(the hotel has individual blocks of 4 rooms-2 on the top and 2 below).No outside eateries closeby.The only thing that would be open at this time of the year would be Martins.I would reccomend a dinner or a lunch at Martins one time https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

If you intend on venturing out,Mangeshi/Mahalsa/Shantadurga temples are very nice in terms of architecture and surroundings.The 1st one being in the village of the legendary Lata Mangeshkar.

On an unrelated note,its good that you are staying at Hyatt after Bijapur and not the other way round(Bijapur after Hyatt)because it can be quite a rude shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ark View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,
I'm planning for a road trip from Hyderabad to Goa in my Scorpio.
I prefer daytime driving(early start-off) & smooth roads.
Need help regarding which route to take.
My vote goes for the Bijapur route,as roads are better(last heard 2 weeks back) and traffic less.If you want to stay over,Hotel Pearl at Bijapur is an ok option.Hotel Pearl -Hotels in bijapur hotel in bijapur hotels in karnataka karnataka hotels Hotel Pearl Ask for rooms in the new annexe(update from a friend who stayed)
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 16:27   #378
BHPian

If you're planning to hit Belgaum, do the Chorla Ghat route. Except for two km, the entire route is fantastic. You'll do Belgaum - Goa in two and a half hours.
Old 25th August 2012, 18:10   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
We took the following route on the way to Goa:
Hyderabad - Gadwal - Raichur - Hubli (Via Gangavati, Gadag) - Belgaum - Panaji - Varca
Attachment 974496
The ghat section after Belgaum are quite bad. I picked up a puncture on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
If you're planning to hit Belgaum, do the Chorla Ghat route. Except for two km, the entire route is fantastic. You'll do Belgaum - Goa in two and a half hours.
Belgaum to Goa via Chorla Ghat :

Ardy says that this route is quite bad while Midlifecrisis says that this route is fantastic.

Now what?
Old 25th August 2012, 19:07   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller

Belgaum to Goa via Chorla Ghat :

Ardy says that this route is quite bad while Midlifecrisis says that this route is fantastic.

Now what?
They are two different routes.The one that Ardy took is/must be the normal NH4A route via Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim.That always goes bad in certain sections during the monsoons due to traffic volumes and poor road quality at KA border and the ghat that he has taken is the Mollem ghat and not the Chorla ghat.

The one that Midlifecrisis has taken is the one via Chorla ghats.This is a spectacular route to goa and was written off as roads had gone bad and was being relaid.The work is over on this route and the road is good now.Hardly anyone takes Chorla route to goa from belgaum as it is almost like a secret option and completely devoid of traffic as only private traffic and a few estate tempos travel on this route.But its a very memorable route.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:53   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The one that Ardy took is/must be the normal NH4A route via Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim.

The one that Midlifecrisis has taken is the one via Chorla ghats.

Hardly anyone takes Chorla route to goa from belgaum as it is almost like a secret option and completely devoid of traffic as only private traffic and a few estate tempos travel on this route.
Lets wait for Ardy and / or Sabby-069 (both did it together but different cars) to respond.

Though I am not 100% sure, as was never discussed with them, but have a feeling that he and Sabby-69 did it via Chorla while going to Goa because, if I recollect, I had seen Ardy on that road on Google Latitude on 15th August evening.

Neilguy and Lucifer1881, on the same date, did it via Khanapur-Londa-Ponda and reported the road to be in good condition.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:16   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I too prefer driving during day times and if your going to North Goa then take this route outlined in my Goa travelogue:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2703248

I started from home at 5am and reached by 5pm to Goa. Flat 10 hours

Sorry I was in Bangalore yesterday. Mobike - We are traveling with 2 teenagers 14 and 11 boys. At that age, being cooped up in a closed vehicle is a recipe for disaster. You will know when you have kids of that age. I also thought I would show them the Gol Gumbaz, as part of some history lesson.

I dont mind driving a bit more since this is going to be a relaxed vacation. In many ways, the journey itself is a vacation since with our busy lives, despite our best efforts, we dont get to spend quality time as a family together. That is why I opted to drive to Goa rather than fly. Moreover, from the various inputs of BHPians the route via Bijapur, Ankola, Karwar etc seems to be the best of all routes to South Goa

cheers

Krishnan
Old 26th August 2012, 13:22   #383
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think you would want to venture out of the hotel.It has the longest pool in Goa winding its way all through the property and plus an outdoor jacuzzi.Do not opt for the sea facing rooms as like any Goa hotel,the beach is miles away from the closest building.Service is topnotch,opt for the 1st floor rooms as they come with better views and balconies and privacy(the hotel has individual blocks of 4 rooms-2 on the top and 2 below).No outside eateries closeby.The only thing that would be open at this time of the year would be Martins.I would reccomend a dinner or a lunch at Martins one time https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=Park+Hyatt+Goa+Resort+And+Spa,+South+Go a,+Goa&daddr=Martin's+Corner,+South+Goa,+Goa&hl=en &sll=15.326737,73.876877&sspn=0.09685,0.154324&geo code=FfLh6QAdV5RnBCHXKQkDbnH07ylJUN-D_ba_OzHXKQkDbnH07w%3BFWiE6QAd7tdnBCmhM45Mvra_OzFd kV_cTHEauA&oq=martin&mra=ls&t=m&z=14

If you intend on venturing out,Mangeshi/Mahalsa/Shantadurga temples are very nice in terms of architecture and surroundings.The 1st one being in the village of the legendary Lata Mangeshkar.

On an unrelated note,its good that you are staying at Hyatt after Bijapur and not the other way round(Bijapur after Hyatt)because it can be quite a rude shock

My vote goes for the Bijapur route,as roads are better(last heard 2 weeks back) and traffic less.If you want to stay over,Hotel Pearl at Bijapur is an ok option.Hotel Pearl -Hotels in bijapur hotel in bijapur hotels in karnataka karnataka hotels Hotel Pearl Ask for rooms in the new annexe(update from a friend who stayed)
Ranjit,

Thanks for your tips. Yes, we are doing Bijapur and then Hyatt and we are staying in the 3-Bed AC Family Annexe at Bijapur. At Hyatt, I and the kids are planning to make the pool our second home at the hotel. I was also told Fisherman's Cove is also a good food joint and is in South Goa. We do plan on driving up to N.Goa for half a day.

While on the Goa subject, I have a slightly OT question about the police checks along the way. See the reason is, My old RC original is with Ranga Reddy RTO as part of the process to get it changed from a MH registration to Hyd registration. Every process is complete, except the final confirmation from Pune RTO to RR RTO stating that the NOC they issued me while transferring the Qualis was indeed genuine. Apparently this takes 45 days. I have completed only 1 month, and all indications are I will not get the smart card and new number in time for my trip (on Monday). However, I have the letter that RR RTO issued to Pune RTO asking for this confirmation. I was told that I can drive the car but to carry this letter, original tax receipts, PUC, Insurance, license etc, which I plan to do so anyway.

So do I have to be mentally prepared to bribe the cops when there is a checking since I dont have the original Smart Card? OR can I argue my way saying I am doing every thing according to the process stipulated by the RTO? My worry is about the cops in Karnataka.

Any advice? thanks in advance.

- Krishnan
Old 26th August 2012, 14:36   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai

While on the Goa subject, I have a slightly OT question about the police checks along the way. See the reason is, My old RC original is with Ranga Reddy RTO as part of the process to get it changed from a MH registration to Hyd registration. Every process is complete, except the final confirmation from Pune RTO to RR RTO stating that the NOC they issued me while transferring the Qualis was indeed genuine. Apparently this takes 45 days. I have completed only 1 month, and all indications are I will not get the smart card and new number in time for my trip (on Monday). However, I have the letter that RR RTO issued to Pune RTO asking for this confirmation. I was told that I can drive the car but to carry this letter, original tax receipts, PUC, Insurance, license etc, which I plan to do so anyway.

So do I have to be mentally prepared to bribe the cops when there is a checking since I dont have the original Smart Card? OR can I argue my way saying I am doing every thing according to the process stipulated by the RTO? My worry is about the cops in Karnataka.
i dont think in the first place you would be stopped since you have your wife and kids with you.All this process thing would not go well with any state border check post guys.For them its simple,the number on your vehicle must match the number on the RC,insurance,PUC-Period.Argument works only if there is a senior ranking officer at the CP.As long as you have documents inter-relating all these you are good,otherwise be prepared to pay a 100-200rs.keep the old RC copy with you.AFAIK in case of such transfers,you are only allowed to drive in the two concerned state territories and not in a third state.(i am not sure of this but remember reading it up on some forum)

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 26th August 2012 at 14:39.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 15:26   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Lets wait for Ardy and / or Sabby-069 (both did it together but different cars) to respond.

Though I am not 100% sure, as was never discussed with them, but have a feeling that he and Sabby-69 did it via Chorla while going to Goa because, if I recollect, I had seen Ardy on that road on Google Latitude on 15th August evening.

Neilguy and Lucifer1881, on the same date, did it via Khanapur-Londa-Ponda and reported the road to be in good condition.
I remember Ardy taking the route via Yashwantnagar from Belgaum. I am not sure if that is the Chorla route, but it is certainly not the one via Ponda and Londa.
Old 27th August 2012, 08:45   #386
BHPian

Quote:
i dont think in the first place you would be stopped since you have your wife and kids with you.All this process thing would not go well with any state border check post guys.For them its simple,the number on your vehicle must match the number on the RC,insurance,PUC-Period.Argument works only if there is a senior ranking officer at the CP.As long as you have documents inter-relating all these you are good,otherwise be prepared to pay a 100-200rs.keep the old RC copy with you.AFAIK in case of such transfers,you are only allowed to drive in the two concerned state territories and not in a third state.(i am not sure of this but remember reading it up on some forum)
Thanks, Ranjit. I was told by the RTO that I can drive anywhere. Anyway, mentally I am prepared. Its raining along the way and so reckon drive is going to be a bit slow.

Off to Goa in another 3 hours!!!

- Krishnan
Old 1st September 2012, 16:01   #387
BHPian

Krishnan - How was the trip on the route to the Hyatt? We're planning this exact same trip next month and thought of checking with you on your experience ...
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:34   #388

Route query? Hyderabad to Goa covering NW and coastal Karnataka

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Goa in mid October with 5 yr old kids from Hyderabad. Someone suggested us to drive through Jog Falls, Maravanthe, Murudeswar and Gokrna. So, thinking of leaving Hyderabad by 7:00AM and reach Shimoga before sunset for night stay. Start from Shimoga in the morning of day-2 to jog falls and from Jog falls visit Maravanthe and finally Goa by 6:00PM via Murudeswar and Gokarna. Is this doable in a day? Like to drive through the scenic routes but don’t like to drive after the dark during the long journeys. Is it worth spending a day through these routes or go to Goa directly via Hubli?

Thanks
-lb
Old 2nd September 2012, 23:10   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
Krishnan - How was the trip on the route to the Hyatt? We're planning this exact same trip next month and thought of checking with you on your experience ...
Hyatt was fantastic. However, we overshot time estimates for the journey by a long margin. Will post the travelogue and experiences shortly.

- Krishnan
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:42   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhavani
Hi,

We are planning a trip to Goa in mid October with 5 yr old kids from Hyderabad. Someone suggested us to drive through Jog Falls, Maravanthe, Murudeswar and Gokrna. So, thinking of leaving Hyderabad by 7:00AM and reach Shimoga before sunset for night stay. Start from Shimoga in the morning of day-2 to jog falls and from Jog falls visit Maravanthe and finally Goa by 6:00PM via Murudeswar and Gokarna. Is this doable in a day? Like to drive through the scenic routes but don’t like to drive after the dark during the long journeys. Is it worth spending a day through these routes or go to Goa directly via Hubli?

Thanks
-lb
Day2 plan is tough specially considering the bad state of roads esp the NH17 and plus you would need to spend time at each location.taking into account these factors jog,murudeshwar,gokarna and reach Goa(atleast Karwar by 6pm)looks slightly ambitious IMHO.Roads in those parts would not be repaired so soon by October after the monsoons.I would reccomend you do Goa separately and then do a separate drive covering Jog-Chikmagalur,Murudeshwar,marvanthe,Gokarna and back to Hyderabad.The drives to those parts would be tiring and time consuming.Just my two paisa!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks