Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 09:56   #526
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries

I was driving with my office colleagues and we stopped several time, for bfast, lunch, tea, dinner and another 6-8 small strech breaks.

I have done this route several times with family for around 13 hrs (margao to airport exit at Hyd). I am sure it is a comfortable <12 hrs drive now if we manage our breaks efficiently.

BTW we started at Palolem at 9:30am and reached Gachibowli at 12:00 midnight due to the frequent breaks...

Last edited by prabingade : 9th April 2013 at 10:01.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:50   #527
BHPian

Which route do the Hyderabad - Goa Volvo buses take? The popular operators are VRL, Paulo, Kesineni, SVR. I feel we can borrow some route ideas from the Volvo guys.
Old 30th April 2013, 08:50   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Came back from Goa yesterday via Karwar, Ankola, Hubli, Kopal, Gangawathi, Manvi, Raichur, Mahbubnagar, Boothpur, Hyd.

I took this road in Oct 12 and what a pleasant surprise yesterday was:
  • The Koppal bridge is done.
  • The Raichur to Mbnr stretch is in excellent condition with most of newly laid roads. Need to watch out for speed breakers around thermal plant and at entry and exit of every town.
  • The entire stretch seems to awesome as I must have taken this route at least once a year since last 6 years but can definitely say that it is at it's best condition till date...
  • The Raichur bypass that shows up in Google maps but doesn't exist is open now. It takes you through few KMs and get you back to almost the circle where the left turn needs to be taken. Seems to have saved around 5 mins time. All trucks are diverted like that and I also got tempted and took that road. Once the complete bypass is open, it should save a good 15-20 mins time.

Few tips which may help:
  • Saw a Udupi cafe on the left side before Karwar. Had bfast there and can be a good bfast point for anyone who is starting from South Goa early in the morning.
  • Had lunch at Kamat after crossing Hubli on the left side. The jawar and bajra roti meals was good.
  • In Koppal, after the BPCL on the left side, saw a hotel called Foodland. Stopped there for tea which was good but the other south Indian dishes like Dosa etc seem to be good as well.

DO you mean the raichur bypass is not open? and we still need to go through the town?
Old 30th April 2013, 10:13   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaholic View Post
DO you mean the raichur bypass is not open? and we still need to go through the town?
Raichur bypass is not open. And the rail over bridge in Raichur town is closed for restoration. The traffic is diverted through a road after gunj circle.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:12   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was in Raichur last weekend.
Raichur bypass is being constructed, from Hyderabad side after crossing the
Govt.Engineering College I could see a flyover and lots of gravel yet to be tarred.

The railway bridge near to the Raichur bus stand which goes towards Manvi-Sindanur is being widened so the bridge is completely broken up and no traffic.

As you come from Hyderabad side after taking the the right turn at the first
signal into the Raichur town and travelling for about 200-300metres you come across a right turn from the main road ask some one if doubtful.This road crosses the railway line and links you towards Manvi-Sindanur route.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gajadonga : 30th April 2013 at 11:26.
Old 2nd May 2013, 04:53   #531

Thanks suresh. I am now in Dandeli. i took the route hyd-mahbubnagar-raichur-sindhanur-Gangawati-Koppal- hubli - dharwad-haliyal-Dandeli. Mahbubnagar - Raichur is in very good shape. started in hyderabad at 4:30 PM reached Raichur by 7:30PM. family didn't want me to continue driving. stayed at Nrupathunga Hotel near ambedkar circle. Bypass is a must for Raichur, leave the traffic we need just to avoid speed breakers in the city. Raichur must be having around 300 speed breakers. I lost most of the time on these and they are present at unimaginable places (The menace of speed breakers start from 24km before the city).

Started in Raichur 5:00 AM Next day. Reached Dandeli by 2:00 PM. Raichur Hubli is straight forward. the road is in good condition. I lost most of my time in Hubli Dharwad section. I had to ask many for directions and This road is under construction. Dharwad to Dandeli is a very good road again.

I am planning to start to goa today. The road i am taking is Dandeli-ganeshgudi- Ramnagar- Ponda. i used NH4A in last oct. It was pathetic. I guess i have to use it again and i dont have a choice.
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:40   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Started in Raichur 5:00 AM Next day. Reached Dandeli by 2:00 PM. Raichur Hubli is straight forward. the road is in good condition. I lost most of my time in Hubli Dharwad section. I had to ask many for directions and This road is under construction. Dharwad to Dandeli is a very good road again.
If you want to avoid Hubli Dharwad towns, then the best way when you are coming from NH63 is :

- When you hit Hubli head for the bypass.
- Continue on NH63 where you would see directions for Ankola. Once you cross Hubli, you would go below the NH4 bypass.
- Take the bypass and drive till the Goa exit (Alnavar road). Turn back towards city.
- Take the first main exit right which would lead to Haliyal road.
- All this pain is because of the fact that there is exit on the bypass for Haliyal road. So you need to get out of the next exit and come back in, to latch on to the Haliyal road.

Route Link
Old 4th May 2013, 08:23   #533

Thanks Ampere. I will try this route on my way back. This post is for update on route Dandeli to Goa. The route i took is via Ramnagar - Ponda- Panjim - Baga.
Actually i wanted to join Chorla route with real good reviews about it and also because i had a very bad experience with NH4A previously. Surprisingly the route is good now. NH4A is patched and is in good shape now. The part i didn't like is a Toll of 250 Rs for a patched road. That too i joined in the middle at Ram nagar

This route can be used as a short cut avoiding ankola - karwar. I have never been on that road but a minus 90 odd kilometrs will be tempting i guess.

I am starting today back to hyderabad. I will update the thread once i am back.
Old 4th May 2013, 08:47   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The part i didn't like is a Toll of 250 Rs for a patched road. That too i joined in the middle at Ram nagar
Yeah, i too paid the same Rs.250 toll when I was there couple of weeks back. This toll is there when you enter Goa from the north side

Anyone knows if similar toll is applicable when you enter goa from south? e.g Karwar?
Old 6th May 2013, 12:04   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part i didn't like is a Toll of 250 Rs for a patched road. That too i joined in the middle at Ram nagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yeah, i too paid the same Rs.250 toll when I was there couple of weeks back. This toll is there when you enter Goa from the north side

Anyone knows if similar toll is applicable when you enter goa from south? e.g Karwar?
The 250 toll isn't for using the patched roads. It's a entry toll into goa from all points. So you pay 250 rs to drive through or enter Goa from any side. This maybe to make up for the loss of mining revenue I believe.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:16   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

This is a Entry Tax that is charged(1000 for heavy vehicles,500 for tempos and 250 for cars,100 for 3 wheelers,bikes are free).The South Goa entry at Polem,Canacona was shut for a couple of days(not sure if it has opened back again)the tax collection booth was closed down due to protests.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:07   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
This is a Entry Tax that is charged(1000 for heavy vehicles,500 for tempos and 250 for cars,100 for 3 wheelers,bikes are free).The South Goa entry at Polem,Canacona was shut for a couple of days(not sure if it has opened back again)the tax collection booth was closed down due to protests.
When did this start? I some how dont remember paying this last year. I drove via South Goa. (HubliAnkola/Karwar).
Old 6th May 2013, 13:16   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When did this start? I some how dont remember paying this last year. I drove via South Goa. (HubliAnkola/Karwar).
This is wef from Apr15,2013.The state govt expects to make close to a 100cr via this.Looks like this is to offset the losses they are making thanks to the mining shutdown.If you are from neigbouring districts and return by 4hours,the taxes are refunded at the gate.Even otherwise,one is supposed to retain the ticket till exit from the state to be produced on demand at the exit gates,else one would have to pay the tax again.Well if you look at it logically,the tax is not much considering the fact that every vehicle entering Goa goes back tanked up which is by itself a huge saving of close to 1000rs!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 14:12   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
The 250 toll isn't for using the patched roads. It's a entry toll into goa from all points. So you pay 250 rs to drive through or enter Goa from any side. This maybe to make up for the loss of mining revenue I believe.
ohh .. ok i came back via chorla route. there was a gate and i asked him whether i need to pay 250 again. He said NO and i simply drove off.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:40   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well if you look at it logically,the tax is not much considering the fact that every vehicle entering Goa goes back tanked up which is by itself a huge saving of close to 1000rs!
the diesel price in Goa is 51 Rs . I saved only 2rs per liter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks