Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 13:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
Badrachalam is route u take to warangal-suryapet-khammam , road conditions are ok but less traffic... Shall try get more details..
Warangal means the yadirgutta route, correct?
Old 25th February 2008, 14:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, but I think Warangal road does not come into picture. I remember going to Vizag via Suryapet, Khammam , Sattupalli, and Rajamundry in 2003. Somewhere before Sattupalli, I turned right to go to Rajamundry. If I'd gone straight, I'd have gone to Bhadrachalam, but I am not sure how far it is, and how good the road is.
Old 25th February 2008, 15:18   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen

Here's a list of fun weekend getaways around Hyderabad

1. Srisailam. Located south east of Hyderabad this is about 215 kms from Hyderabad. Things to do, visit the temple, visit Farahabad viewpoint (the place which was blasted by naxals, but now safe to visit) and there's a waterfall just off a village midway between Farahabad and Srisailam. At Srisailam you can visit the temple, lovely ambience, one of 12 jyotirlingas I am told, go for a boat ride around the lake and the best one is a 3 hour boat excursion upstream of the river to some caves and back. This ride is spectacular and I've posted pictures on a friend's website HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE You can book accomodation through temple authorities. Nice stuff ranging from hotel rooms to cottages. Must do trip for families

2. Nagarjunasagar. Located further east of south of Hyderabad lovely getaway for the weekend. The govt hotel Vijay vihar is beautifully restored and has a commanding view of the lake, rooms are spacious with own private balconies. While there you can visit the Ethipothala waterfalls and also plan a boat trip to Nagarjunakonda, an island with a rich collection of Buddisht sculpture and relics.

3. Vikharabad. Located 70 kms south west of Hyderabad, known for the Ananthgiri hills. Lovely for a day trip/picnic. The hilltop is spectacular in August with lush green forest cover. Even during summer its a nice place to go for a picnic. There's an old temple and well. Should you fancy being more adventurous you can visit Kotpalli reservoir further west of the Ananthgiri hills, nice place for fishing.

4. Medak and Pocharam lake. Located about 125 kms north west of Hyderabad Medak has a historic church and Pocharam is a dammed lake. pretty for a picnic along the water. There's a forest belt you cross but need prior permission from the authorities to go in

5. Shamirpet/Siddipet, the best road if you just enjoy driving or riding. Many breakfast joints along the road and some well known resorts too

6. Warangal/Bhongir/Yadgirgutta/Pembarthi/Kulpakji
160 kms from Hyderabad, north east, home of the Kakatiya dynasty with the famed thousand pillar temple, the Ramappa temple and fort. Also known for the carpet weaving industry. Enroute to Warangal you come across the spectacular rock hillfort of Bhongir (50kms) 400 ft high granite hillock. Yadgirgutta further along the road (just off the main road)has a well known temple. Pembarti also along the route was known for relief work in brass and theres a famous Jain temple at Kulpak(not sure about the place name, but temple's known as Kulpakji temple)

7. Devarkonda/Indrakonda/Rajkonda Forts I haven't explored myself but all within 200 kms from Hyderabad toward Nalgonda

If you guys have an appetite for more info I'd be happy to list many more.

If any of you enjoy visiting heritage sites in and around Hyderabad let me know, would be happy to share info
Old 25th February 2008, 16:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats good Info, though most of them are known spots and some hearing for the first time. Do list out all other options that you know.
Old 25th February 2008, 16:26   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

More stuff

1. Pillalamarri tree near mahbubnagar, Massive banyan tree, amongst the greats in India

2. Alampur temples by the impressive Tungabhadra

3. Ahobilam, Mantralayam(?),Belum caves in Kurnool district

4. Umamaheswaram temple atop a hill near Achampet

5. Somashila, Spectacular views of the Srisailam backwaters, the Jatprol temple and the Kollapur palace

6. Bidar, seat of a once famous Bahamani dynasty and famous for Bidriware

A lot of these places don't expect organised tourism, you just have to explore and have fun doing so
Old 25th February 2008, 23:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wow, Yash ( rider60), you sure know how to dig up an old thread

Mohandas, i have been to Basar several times, the last one during Jan'08. Bellam caves sounds interesting, should give it a try sometime soon.

oah yes my addition to tbhp has gone up a level, need to concentrate on other things too.

and on the other hand there are so many awesome threads that are so ignored man they are must see for all.

and more over, DKG i do hope to see you in the next weekend get away we plan!
Old 26th February 2008, 09:46   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
DKG i do hope to see you in the next weekend get away we plan!
Would be my pleasure Sir! We've had two trips to Srisailam with my biker friends, we rent the Satyam guest house, spectacular location overlooking the lake and dam. Weekend before last took some cousins to Nagarjunasagar, they loved the location and the tranquility
Old 10th March 2008, 12:53   #38
BHPian

Best weekend spot around Hyderabad!

Hi Guys,

Thanks cheers: first of all for responding to my earlier query with regards to Papikondalu. Since it doesn't seem to be a good idea to go to that place in the month of April, I would like to know if there are some good weekend spots around Hyderabad where a 2-3 days outing can be planned with friends.

We have been to Nagarjuna Sagar and Srisailam recently so do not intend to go there. Are there any other places around Hyderabad, preferably more than 100 kms from Hyderabad and not more than 400 kms (this aspect is flexible and will not be followed strictly ) as we are planning to start on Saturday and return by Sunday night or Monday morning!

Thanks!
Old 10th March 2008, 14:27   #39
PVS
BHPian

You can check out Suryalanka beach near Bapatla on the Bay Of Bengal . Search for 'Suryalanka' and you will find relevant posts. You can also visit nearby Chirala beach.

You can check out Bellum caves near Alagadda (near Kurnool) ; Vijayawada is also fine; but can get terribly hot.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

how far is chirala from hyd and are there any good resorts or hotels to stay in. by good, i mean at least 3 star and above.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:20   #41
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
how far is chirala from hyd and are there any good resorts or hotels to stay in. by good, i mean at least 3 star and above.

Chirala is close to 312 Kms from Hyderabad via Guntur (Hyderabad - Narketpalle - Nalgonda - Guntur - Bapatla) . The Vodarevu beach is about 6 Kms from Chirala and doesn't have decent lodging facilities. Staying at Guntur (35 Kms away) and travelling to Chirala would be a better option.

Another option would be to book the APTDC's Suryalanka Beach Resort at Bapatla and stay there. Bapatla is again pretty close to Chirala.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:39   #42
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gentlemen

1. Srisailam. boat excursion upstream of the river to some caves Nice stuff ranging from hotel rooms to cottages. Must do trip for families
Those are the caves where the legendary Kannada poet Akkamahadevi chose to meditate. You have to stoop real low to enter the tiny cave - yes the boat ride is worth it.

Accommodation - APTDC's Ganga Sadan & Gowri Sadan offer decent accommodation - can be booked from Hyderabad itself.

Quote:
2. Nagarjunasagar. Located further east of south of Hyderabad lovely getaway for the weekend. The govt hotel Vijay vihar is beautifully restored and has a commanding view of the lake, rooms are spacious with own private balconies. While there you can visit the Ethipothala waterfalls and also plan a boat trip to Nagarjunakonda, an island with a rich collection of Buddisht sculpture and relics.
As an alternative , you can check out Srisailam, take the ghat road via Dornala, and come to Nagarjunsagar - stay there and get back to Hyderabad. I believe the Dornala ghat road is good.

Quote:
3. Vikharabad. Located 70 kms south west of Hyderabad, known for the Ananthgiri hills. Lovely for a day trip/picnic. The hilltop is spectacular in August with lush green forest cover. Even during summer its a nice place to go for a picnic. There's an old temple and well. Should you fancy being more adventurous you can visit Kotpalli reservoir further west of the Ananthgiri hills, nice place for fishing.
Yes - the reservoir is a nice serene place; ideal for a good bath - been there a couple of years back - it is on the road to tandur, if I am not wrong, close to Dharur. The descent from Vikarabad towards Dharur is spectacular.

Quote:
4. Medak and Pocharam lake. Located about 125 kms north west of Hyderabad Medak has a historic church and Pocharam is a dammed lake. pretty for a picnic along the water. There's a forest belt you cross but need prior permission from the authorities to go in
Is this the tiny forest belt just before Narsapur? And from where do we get the permission? Aranya Bhawan at Saifabad?

Quote:
5. Shamirpet/Siddipet, the best road if you just enjoy driving or riding. Many breakfast joints along the road and some well known resorts too
- Alankrita, Celebrity Club(??) and a couple of good dhabas as well.

Quote:
160 kms from Hyderabad, north east, home of the Kakatiya dynasty with the famed thousand pillar temple, the Ramappa temple and fort. Also known for the carpet weaving industry. Enroute to Warangal you come across the spectacular rock hillfort of Bhongir (50kms) 400 ft high granite hillock. Yadgirgutta further along the road (just off the main road)has a well known temple. Pembarti also along the route was known for relief work in brass and theres a famous Jain temple at Kulpak(not sure about the place name, but temple's known as Kulpakji temple)
Ramappa temple is about 60 Kms away from Warangal and definetely forth a visit - both for the temple as well as the smooth road - this is on the abandoned NH 202 which (supposedly) goes all the way to Bhopalapatnam (actually it doesn't!).

The Jain temple is located at a place called KOLANUPAAKA. you have to take a detour to the left on the NH 202 (Hyderabad - Warangal road) after ALER I believe. The Bhongir hill & the fort again are worth a visit and the climb as well. You get a fine view of the Bhongir town and the Railway station deep down below.

Quote:
7. Devarkonda/Indrakonda/Rajkonda Forts I haven't explored myself but all within 200 kms from Hyderabad toward Nalgonda
There is a small temple atop a hillock a few Kilometres after Chityala on the NH - 9 (Hyderabad - Vijayawada); You can start off early from Hyderabad, get to the hillock, spend some time there, get off the hillock, have breakfast at the restaurent close by (can't recollect the name) and get back to Hyderabad by an alternate route via Ramannapet and Bhongir (you have to branch off right from Chityala, as you head back to Hyderabad)
Old 10th March 2008, 20:58   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I've posted some pictures of my srisailam trips with fellow bikers on HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE Do check them out when you have the time. The wilderness along the river is spectacular
Old 10th March 2008, 21:03   #44

Staying options near Hyderabad

Hi,
Where to stay at these places
R.Anand
Quote:
Gentlemen

1. Srisailam. Located south east of Hyderabad this is about 215 kms from Hyderabad. Things to do, visit the temple, visit Farahabad viewpoint (the place which was blasted by naxals, but now safe to visit) and there's a waterfall just off a village midway between Farahabad and Srisailam. At Srisailam you can visit the temple, lovely ambience, one of 12 jyotirlingas I am told, go for a boat ride around the lake and the best one is a 3 hour boat excursion upstream of the river to some caves and back. This ride is spectacular and I've posted pictures on a friend's website HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE You can book accomodation through temple authorities. Nice stuff ranging from hotel rooms to cottages. Must do trip for families

If you guys have an appetite for more info I'd be happy to list many more.

If any of you enjoy visiting heritage sites in and around Hyderabad let me know, would be happy to share info
Old 10th March 2008, 21:12   #45

Weekend Hyderabad

Hi,
Can you give stay options at all these places you suggested in the post.
R.Anand, Around Delhi
Quote:
Gentlemen

1. Srisailam. Located south east of Hyderabad this is about 215 kms from Hyderabad. Things to do, visit the temple, visit Farahabad viewpoint (the place which was blasted by naxals, but now safe to visit) and there's a waterfall just off a village midway between Farahabad and Srisailam. At Srisailam you can visit th

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks