Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 11:45   #241

I have given vote for GT road...The Grand Trunk Road is the Indian Subcontinent's first, largest and oldest major road, linking Sonargaon in Bengal (now in Bangladesh) with Kabul in Afghanistan via the Khyber Pass. The Grand Trunk Road spans a distance of over 2,500 km, and connects up the important cities of Benaras, Kanpur, Delhi, Amritsar and Lahore. While browsing i came across a website Easy Drive Forum, having lots of thoughts and views based on indian roads, indian traffic, and many more. I like both websites teambhp as well as easy drive forum. Any comment??
Old 7th November 2006, 13:42   #242
BHPian

Apart from the Pune -Mumbai Express highway which used to be a blast to drive on I also like the following:

On the Pune Goa stretch I find the Koyna Ghat the most satisfying to drive.
a)Nice road surface b) wide corners c) sweeping curves+ d) very few blind corners which allow you to drive at decent clip

I also find the Ghat between Pune and Kolhapur ( Khambatki --if I am not mistaken) to be a blast for the simple reason that its a one way and you can really drive to the limit going up.
Old 7th November 2006, 15:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

greater noida expressway.!

its a blast to drive on it.
Old 7th November 2006, 20:12   #244
BHPian

Yes, the Noida expressway is the only option or the Hotel Grand's outside road from Vasant Vihar to Vasant Kunj.
Old 8th November 2006, 20:35   #245
Senior - BHPian

Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway is one of the best roads in India, all 100 kms of it. Is straight, fast and has good signages. Exit signs are well-marked. It also has 2 modern Reliance Petrol Pumps (with both A1 and Refresh Plazas) at either ends. Speed limits are realistically 100 kmph. It makes a significant difference to how you travel to/fro Ahmedabad/Vadodara. At both ends, exits are very rapid, and for those proceeding further (Rajkot/Udaipur/Gandhinagar/Mehsana/Godhra), you can get into the Sardar Patel Ring Road without being disturbed by the Ahmedabad City traffic. For Mumbai guys like me who drive to Delhi, the expresswa and the quick exits save us almost 2 hours in journey time.
Old 11th November 2006, 10:01   #246
Senior - BHPian

i never came across a road, which i can call it as the best road, but lets hope our city(hyd) comesup with a good one owing to recent growth in the real estate market.

but heard the bombay pune highway is really good. wish to drive on it ( probably as guest from hyd to mumbai tbhp meet )
Old 14th November 2006, 22:51   #247
BHPian

Ahemdabad->Baroda expressway is really great road..Very well built and very less traffic too...
Old 6th December 2006, 17:50   #248
BHPian

If any body been to jaisal mer The road from jodh pur to jaisal mer is too to good virtually no speed limit and trafic is like one car in 10 minutes if you love to drive and are somewhere near delhi or north india you should drive at that road if you have the car 200 + is no big deal
Old 5th January 2007, 19:31   #249
BHPian

I believe the Mumbai Pune expressway is the best, I got a chance 6 years back on a sumo...
Apart from that I would rate the Noida express Highway also...
Please also wait for some more months for the Dhaula Kuan ~ Maneasar 8 lane Expressway to be opened which I supposse is going to have 8 flyovers in total, out of which three are already open on trial runs and two more are expected in a couple of days (relief from the heavy duty traffic at Shankar chowk and IFFCO round-about). It is going to be a real pleasure travelling from Delhi to Gurgaon then....
Old 8th January 2007, 16:02   #250
BHPian

another was the Highway - Nainital to Jim Corbett National Park. It was just by luck I got this route to come back to delhi from Nainital and it was a marvellous 4 lane road with no traffic. Almost 2 and half hours from Nainital to Corbett.
Old 8th January 2007, 18:18   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post
another was the Highway - Nainital to Jim Corbett National Park. It was just by luck I got this route to come back to delhi from Nainital and it was a marvellous 4 lane road with no traffic. Almost 2 and half hours from Nainital to Corbett.
Now where did you enounter a 4-lane road that route? The only completed 4-lane road on that route is from Noida to Hapur & the Moradabad-Gajraula-Hapur stretch is under construction & is expected to be finished by September this year.

The road you're talking about is the Ramnagar-Kaladhungi-Nainital road which runs on the periphery of Corbett park & is gorgeous to drive on with hardly any traffic. But it's a wide 2 lane road not a 4-lane one. That road is very sparsely known & I too do not tell too many people about it since I would like to kepp it as much traffic free as possible when I go on that route Though some team-bhpians have gone through that route on my recommendation!
Old 8th January 2007, 19:20   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Freak View Post
hey
i think u forgot to ask abt PALM BEACH ROAD. its in new mumbai & its 13km long..... without any speed breaker

Power Freak
yeah.. but it has about 3 signals..
Old 8th January 2007, 21:16   #253
BHPian

Hello iraghava,
Sorry for the confusion..
by a 4 lane road I did not mean the proper highway with dividers but Its a very well maintained highway from Nainital to Kaladhungi. Yes I agree there are no dividers but there is enough space for four cars to travel side by side at a very nice speed..

I wonder no-one recommended that route to me when I was going to nainital and even people in nainital did not know much about that route to be so marverllous. Yes from Ram nagar to kaladhungi , the road is not that good these days as you have to bypass some villeges till ramnagar to follow a clear road, I dont remember the exact route right now, may be need to look into the maps again for that. Actually I was suppossed to visit some relative's farm house near kaladhungi, so I had to come that way from Nainital exploring the new great route...
Old 9th January 2007, 15:20   #254
BHPian

I took this Kaladhungi - Nainital route around 2 years ago - it's a very nice drive. We had almost reached the top when we were flagged down by another driver. Apparently there had been a huge snowfall and the road ahead was blocked. Had to go all the way down again and up via Haldwani All this at around 9 in the night after driving from Delhi. Quite an experience it was!
Old 9th January 2007, 16:47   #255

Best road for driving pleasure

I have driven on some good expressways, Mumbai-Pune being the best of the lot. It gets very scenic in Monsoon but special care need to be taken to avoid slippery patches of the road specifically on the small bridges.

But IMO that is not the best road in India.. two years back we drove from Shillong to Cherrapunji and that was the best maintained road I have ever seen!! It is maintained by BRO (Border Road Organization) and they do it with Army precision. On top of that the green meadows around and absolutely no pollution of any sort adds to the beauty of it. It is not exactly an expressway and one needs to be careful before going overboard as there are villages on the road. But the road condition and sheer beauty around wins it hands down for the best road I have driven in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks