Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2005, 19:16   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoslave
For my List of Good Roads (the roads i've been thru or heard). i wud go for ..

Mumbai - Pune
Jaipur - Delhi
L&T Coimbatore
NH 17
Chennai - Pondy (ECR)

And For Awsome Sceneries...

Allepey - Changnasherry (along the side of Backwaters)
Goa - Mangalore
Thekaddy - Munnar (all thru tea/cardamom estates)
Mandi - Manali

_rG.
I second you on the Thekkady-Munnar route.. awesome in one word!!!
Old 26th November 2005, 20:02   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saajan_20
krish
nice pic man it s wholesome
ok lemme know how s the road that s what the whole road from pune till belgaum is like or it has a few slow section s ? or almost the whole roads like that ?
regards
saajan

except for a few kms ,say 20-0 kms from katraj...the whole 330 kms from pune-belagum is superbbb...it can be done in less than 4 hours provided you have a car witha decent set of wheels ....though there are a few diversions in between before satara..u can easily maintain average speeds of 100kph
Old 27th November 2005, 09:30   #183
Senior - BHPian

Dunno whether anyone else has mentioned this already or not, but NH 206 between Sagar and Honnavar is awesome too. Not too wide a road when u get close to Honnavar, but still pretty smooth surface, and get this, 90 kms of ghat section roads!!! I did this part this week on the way to Karwar. Same goes for the road between Karwar and Ankola, NH 17 i think, but that stretch isnt that long.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 18th December 2005, 19:57   #184
BHPian

Recently I travelled from Udupi to Mumbai by a Volvo. I was simply stunned by the speed of these buses. It covered the distance from Hubli to Sion (around 600 kms) in about 9 hour (incl around half an hour stoppage). Of course it was night time. I wonder what is the top speed of these B7Rs.

I think the HW from Hubli to Karwar is NH63. Once upon a time, one of the best roads, but the surface is wearing off at many places. But still very scenic.

M
Old 19th December 2005, 12:50   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Recently I travelled from Udupi to Mumbai by a Volvo. I was simply stunned by the speed of these buses. It covered the distance from Hubli to Sion (around 600 kms) in about 9 hour (incl around half an hour stoppage). Of course it was night time. I wonder what is the top speed of these B7Rs.

M

hehhe...that's sort of ok speeds...FYI...volvo buses easily do mumbai-mangalore in 14-15 hours with all pit stops....and i have travelled in a volvo bus which left pune at 12 pm in the nite and reached bangalore about 900 kms away in about 12 hours ....i.e i reached bangalore before 12 pm....and this again included the various diversions on teh nh4 and the pit stops....
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:03   #186
BHPian

I drove on NH 17 (Goa to Mumbai), just before the monsoons hit bbay..twas one of the best drives i ever went on.....
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:45   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1
Here's a link to Belgaum - Pune Road.

http://img506.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ac2pune8sy.jpg

-- Ramky

=========
This particular stretch seen in the pic, was one of THE ghats which used to take lot of time and all the vehicles used to take long breaths while climbing the ghat. Now, after 6 laning this section, no one even feels that this is a ghat!!! Finally, people could see the change(progress) happening atleast for the highways.

Selective
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:58   #188
BHPian

the Cuddapa - renigunta road in AP is also awesome, wide, smooth, no traffic, the best i have seen in AP and its quite a long one with some hilly places too.
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:24   #189
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For those who think chandigarh roads are very good http://www.chandigarhpothole.com/.

Old 23rd December 2005, 22:33   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Hi,

For those who think chandigarh roads are very good http://www.chandigarhpothole.com/.

We don't have any city without pothole. I think we should have web site listing the best roads with the pictures :-)

bangalorebestroads.com
chandigarhbestroads.com

Selective
Old 23rd December 2005, 22:41   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

best ive seen greater noida expressway,it has vitually no traffic most of the times,in nights its perfect venue for drags.
Old 29th December 2005, 16:22   #192
BHPian

Recently got back from a wonderful trip to Hyderabad. A historic, cultural and gastronomic experience.

We made a side trip to Nagarjunasagar dam also (150+ kms). Although we took a cab and went, I found the road very good and enjoyable. Mind you, its not super smooth like the Kolhapur- Belgaum stretch on NH4, but eminently driveable nevertheless.

What makes the road notable is the sparse population along the road. There are probably a total of 5 villages along the entire 150 kms stretch! That translates to less people ambulating on the roads. The scenery is beautiful too. The sides of the road have rocky outgrowths (not unlike those near Bengalooru) and savannah like grasses. It must have been at its verdant best during the rains.

As Nagarjunasagar nears, the road climbs up slightly and thats when the magic unfolds before your eyes. The reservoir occupies close to 300 sq. km. of valley land and all this resplendent beauty leaves you stunned as the car nears the top of the hill. And then you let the car meander lazily down the road towards the dam wall.

Its an awesome experience. Anybody visiting Hyderabad should try it!
camry93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2006, 19:14   #193
BHPian

nh24 & nh87 connecting delhi-nainital. its got to be the most picturesque drive in north india. havent been to south india on a driving tour. how i wish to do mumbai-goa on a dil chahta hai merc
cheers
anuj
Old 30th January 2006, 11:18   #194
Senior - BHPian

guys living in mumbai and pune might know this. . .the road from lonavala up till tigre hills (Sahara ambey valley) is rocking it is a 16 km strech, but all 16 kms are full of winding curls, 360 degree turns, swooping lefts and rights. . . i drove the skoda octavia on that strech . . .brilliant road. . it really tests the car in all respects, handling, accelration, braking. . . .one of the best roads ever. . .
Old 30th January 2006, 15:29   #195
BHPian

Hi All,

Old mumbai pune road....the old khandala ghat is a feast to drive on !!!

Regards,

Turbofreak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks