Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2005, 00:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Another real scenic road is on the way to mangalore from mumbai where its a coastal area and your travelling with the sea on one side and backwaters on the other. Harrie who is from Mangalore might be able to tell me what road that was.
Its NH17 once again, the route I was talking about earlier. The part you're talking about (sea on on side, backwater on the other) is about 9 km off Kundapur (or Coondapur), just after you pass the Turtle Bay resort.

I think we could start an NH17 fans association here, leaving out the part in Kerala which is infested by maniac bus drivers.

Cheers

Steer
Old 17th March 2005, 10:01   #107
BHPian

Yesterday came from Athirapally to Chalakudi..
This stretch of 30odd km for me its the best road i'v seen in kerala.. Has to be.. This rubberized road had excellent finish.. The only sad part being its single lane.. But my frind pushed the limits on his zen.. Amazing drive..
Old 19th March 2005, 10:30   #108
BHPian

nh17

NH17 Rocks!!!!!

A beautiful blend of straights, curves, stretches, ghats... drive witha good set of wheels.. n hey.. its driving nirvana!

one more road.. which i have just seen on the tube n pics, is the ladakh leh road... n man it is mindblowing.

the plains, the flat river , an open gypsy n floyd!!!.. man m on a high already
Old 19th March 2005, 11:49   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think we could start an NH17 fans association here, leaving out the part in Kerala which is infested by maniac bus drivers.

Cheers

Steer

hey steer,
have u ever driven on the mangalore -kundapur stretch during day time.
there are express buses plying at 2 minute intervals.and these drivers are as mad as those mangalore -kasargod buses,its as if you are a character in video game--the way they go in and out of traffic.

Quote:
Another real scenic road is on the way to mangalore from mumbai where its a coastal area and your travelling with the sea on one side and backwaters on the other.

this is just after coondapur and u can easily do 120-140 on this straight stretch.

actually the road after bhatkal is awesome,with so many turns which you can starightline.
after honavar there is this stretch ,where you have the river on side of the winding road and the green mountains on the other.
instead of NH17 fans association we can form a South India NH fans association as where ever you go in the south especially kerala,karnataka the roads are just awesome.

if you start from panvel then the Nh17 has no comparison.but if you go via NH4,then the actual fun starts from dharwad after you turn right for the hubli bypass.
Old 19th March 2005, 13:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another real scenic road is on the way to mangalore from mumbai where its a coastal area and your travelling with the sea on one side and backwaters on the other.
Well, i don't really fancy or reccomend high speed driving on that stretch. There's far too much crosswind there (especially in the evenings) and don't think that just bcoz your car weighs 1-1.5 tons it wont be affected. I've seen buses being affected by those winds.

Plus you don't have any run off area since both sides are filled with water.

Quote:
if you start from panvel then the Nh17 has no comparison.but if you go via NH4,then the actual fun starts from dharwad after you turn right for the hubli bypass.
Right on. U get the bypass, Hubli-Ankola road and finally the NH 17 from Ankola to Mangalore.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd April 2005, 14:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

has any one gon to Amby Valley road?
its a single lane road but very less traffic only few cars of ambey valley & few tourists
in rainy season great scenery.
its not a speed lovers road but a nice road to unwind or to relax very nice road. just love it

also love raod leading to Pune - Mumbai Express way from Chandani Chowk Pune. nice road but due to crazy peoples can not really go above 120. too rsiky
Old 23rd April 2005, 15:50   #112
BHPian

been on the amby valley road twice...once as a passenger and once while driving.its just like any normal road on a hill only difference being its rarely got any cars on it.
Old 23rd April 2005, 19:36   #113
Senior - BHPian

actually thats beauty of that road.
sometimes even on express way you may get traffic.

also the scenery is very good on ambey valley road.
Old 23rd April 2005, 20:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

The Amby valley has loads of traffic now...gone are the days of low traffic density !

earlier was a great road to drive - zig zag road , nice corners , awesome scenery .....almost a potential disaster zone ;-)

cheers
Old 23rd April 2005, 21:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see no posts on north indian roads... Leh - Nimmu road by the bsf (voted as the number one by autocar india) Part of it is a section in the Raid de Himalaya rally, its a breath taking stretch to say the least.

Also the NH8 - Delhi Jaipur highway is known for its smooth trouble free driving done many a tests there... full of surprises too like the occasional opposite coming loaded tempo traxes and trucks taking u turns without signals!

Also good fun are lots of roads in punjab along the Grand Trunk Road, stretch from karnal to ambala is a beauty to drive on with 160kph cruising speed and ocassional burts to 200+ on a worthy car. Ive done delhi border to jalandhar in 4.5 hrs thats more than 400kms without any trouble or going beyond 160 in my skoda. The smooth roads carry on to Amritsar till the Wagah border.
Old 23rd April 2005, 22:24   #116
Senior - BHPian

yeah the gt road is also good.but u dont need any skill to drive there.its just straight.
in the north the Hissar-bhatinda road is also good.the agra -delhi expressway is also good.

but it just cannot be compared with any of the above mentioned roads .
Old 23rd April 2005, 22:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
Also good fun are lots of roads in punjab along the Grand Trunk Road, stretch from karnal to ambala is a beauty to drive on with 160kph cruising speed and ocassional burts to 200+ on a worthy car. Ive done delhi border to jalandhar in 4.5 hrs thats more than 400kms without any trouble or going beyond 160 in my skoda. The smooth roads carry on to Amritsar till the Wagah border.

Correct. Delhi-Ambala-Punjab is capable of really good speeds . Though does not have that much of scenic presence , just cruise.
Are u sure ?? 4.5 hurs to Jullundhar !! man that’s incredibly fast. What time you choose to drive ?

Tarun
Old 24th April 2005, 01:47   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
Ive done delhi border to jalandhar in 4.5 hrs thats more than 400kms without any trouble or going beyond 160 in my skoda.
160+kmph in an octavia !! Well , is it a petrol one or a diesel ?
If a diesel , then autophyche you are commiting a BLUNDER MISTAKE or rather i should say SUICIDE by taking a car which is not meant to be driven so fast . I know it is a brilliant diesel engine but man what about the ABS !!! Coz if you ask me ,its the most important/crucial thing a car needs to 've ,espically when you are driving on a highway .

After i met with an accident i swore not to drive a non ABS equipped car above 100 , its damn risky man !!! I ve shared my horrible experience in the following thread , hope you learn something outta this ....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4215
Old 24th April 2005, 20:05   #119
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai - Karwar thats the NH-17.
Old 29th April 2005, 15:58   #120
BHPian

The most Fun & the best road i have driven in India in the Khambatkhi Ghat.
(Its on the Pune-Mahabaleshwar route)
Its a toll road, 10 bucks (I could go up and down all day)
The original ghat road has been made one way uphill, resurfaced brilliantly and is dead smooth with challenging curves and corners

The Downhill section is a thing of amazing beauty, Its a Thru the ghat F1 track. Its Brand new WIDE, one way and along the mountain along with a few tunnels thrown in.
Its got the 90deg curves and great corners where the road widens

But be warned: It fools you into driving faster than you should esp along the turns, coz they are so beautifully banked and widened. I got a warning from my Tyres and car after i took one of the curves at 90 , and then i backed of a wee bit, as i reaslised that i had been lulled into taking a right angled turn at 90.

This road is not about Top speed, its all about tackling it the fastest you can ( I was doin 110 in my matiz, bless her handling) , You wanna go and stretch the sppedo, Do the expressway, But that just boring. You wanna see how well you can drive , do the downhill on the Khambatki, Believe me i'd race anything from a palio - lancer range and the cars will be equal, but will the drivers???????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks