Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2005, 20:05   #136
BHPian

Cool road. However, one thing that strikes out is that it does not have barricades on either side. How safe is a fast road like this without barricades???
Old 24th May 2005, 21:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

u can do comfortably do 3 -figure speeds on this road and average abt 70-80kph.but one has to be careful for some fools coming from the opposite side.yeah you will find lots of people coming from the wrong side.especially near satara.

so one has to be really carfeul while overtaking even though its a one -way traffic..

so the safest thing to do is to be on these roads early in the mornings when there is less of 2,3 wheeler traffic near the cities.
Old 24th May 2005, 23:01   #138
BHPian

The road between Pune and Satara is complete ... But between Satara and Kolhapur Sux ...
Old 28th May 2005, 22:34   #139
BHPian

Well,I recently went to Surat from Mumbai on the National Highway..and man,the road is so so smooth,no traffic at any point during the trip..no pot holes,2 lane road each side,and 3 lane each side at places..expecially in the ghat sections..(probably to check traffic doesn't jam incase some huge truck stalls on the slope)..
I felt the highway was as good as the Mumbai-Pune Expressway..
Even at night,there are well placed lane reflectors..they also have some Emergency no. which we can call incase of any problem/breakdown..!..just like they have a similar emergency service on the espressway..
Suraj
Old 6th June 2005, 09:28   #140

dude it shall be national highway from mumbai to surat its just gr8 the roads are broad and new just fun to drive.
Old 7th June 2005, 22:05   #141

i heard that delhis got nice highways
Old 7th June 2005, 22:09   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny
i heard that delhis got nice highways

yeah delhi has superbb roads around it like the agra expressway,the jaipur expressway,the GT road NHA1 which goes till jammu and the hissar road which is straight like a railway track.

also the noida toll road is good.
Old 8th June 2005, 12:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
The road between Pune and Satara is complete ... But between Satara and Kolhapur Sux ...
Is it complete from Pune to Shirwal? Last time I travelled, it really sucked big time. I could drive from Kolhapur to start of Khambataki ghat in 2.5 hours, but after Shirwal, it took me more than one hour to reach Pune.
Old 8th June 2005, 12:15   #144
BHPian

I think almost all Highways connecting to Delhi are good..
Specially Delhi- Agra, Delhi-Jaipur and delhi-Ambala..
Old 15th September 2005, 15:47   #145
Senior - BHPian

For me its Delhi Manali highway. Due to frequent vacation by Atal Bihari, the IAS officers that used to follow him, have made some excellent roads!
Old 15th September 2005, 17:27   #146
Senior - BHPian

Most people have voted for expressway! But its not what it used to be! Many accidents do occur there! Plus it being cemented is not as smooth as tarmac!

I think for me the best road is the Palm Beach Marg, Starting from Belapur and ending at Vashi! nice crisp corners and smooth roads, but one signal comes before the Vashi overbridge!

Another good road is the Bhopal bypass fast and crisp!

Last edited by BUSA : 15th September 2005 at 17:29.
Old 15th September 2005, 17:32   #147
Senior - BHPian

I used the Kolkata - Bhubaneswar stretch of the golden quadrilateral project around 2003 .. It was being built .. some completed stretches followed by some where work was going on ..
The stretches that were thru , were simply awesome .. I'm sure it's even better two years down the line ..
Old 21st September 2005, 12:31   #148
BHPian

My Choices(where I have driven):

EAST
1)Guwahati - Shillong : For the corners and beautiful ladies donning the roadsides.(Women manage all roadside shops in Meghalaya)

2)Siliguri - Darjeeling: For the breathtaking views and chicks in Darjeeling

3)Tenga Valley(Arunachal Pradesh) - Bomdila(china Border) : For the soft mountains around where only one vehicle can pass at a time and the other has to back up and where a boulder can take you hurtling down to death in seconds.

WEST
1)Pune Mumbai Expressway:For technology and speed.

2)Wai -Mahabaleshwar:For the short thrill.

3)Mumbai- Goa:For long straights and fast corners.

4)Mumbai - Murud/Janjira :For the excellent view of the Arabian Sea.

NORTH

1)Jammu -Srinagar-Leh :For the adventure associated with conquering the highest motorable pass in the world.

CENTRAL

1)Raipur - Jagdalpur:This 300 km road with excellent tarmac is for the petrolheads(Also mentioned in ACI sept issue as one of the best roads)

2)Bhopal - Bandhavgarh : For very little traffic and drive thru forest cover.(For details ACI Aug '05 & Sept '05 issue)

SOUTH

Not yet driven except Belgaum - Goa if that can be called South.
Heard the ECR is good.
Old 21st September 2005, 13:18   #149
BHPian

well if u r talking about best roads i have nothing to talk but the worst road conditions in hyderabad and andhra pradesh ever since the y s rajasekhara reddy led congress govt came to power 18 months back, while in the chandra babu led tdp govt roads were laid every six months, this govts policies have pushed drivers to madness with huge pot holes every where thus also increasing fuel bills and also vehicle wear and tear
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:00   #150
BHPian

ECR...Chennai to Pondy is the best for me.Except for cycles & lungi clad people(too many of them),the road is perfect.
Tirumala-Tirupathi is another excellent stretch I have driven on.
Nelamangala-Mangalore is another favourite of mine.I believe it is one of the best maintained highways in India.

I have not driven in the north,so I donot know much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks