Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 06:45   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
This is my first time to Chennai from Bangalore. Based on current conditions, which route is the safest and most comfortable - via Chittoor or via Krishnagiri?

Thanks in advance.
As this happens to be your first drive to Chennai, stick to the Hosur route wherein you have the luxury of driving on 4/6 lane roads. Do remember post Chennasamudiram toll, the roads are pretty average and it can be a bumpy drive.
Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 07:31   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
This is my first time to Chennai from Bangalore. Based on current conditions, which route is the safest and most comfortable - via Chittoor or via Krishnagiri?

Thanks in advance.

Krishnagiri route is the safest and comfortable one due to broad roads and food options. Only thing to note is to take the left turn after krishnagiri. You will need to watch out for it as there is no proper signage. Take the left before the second flyover once you cross the toll gate.
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 10:40   #2328

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
The last time I took the Chittoor route was quite some time back and the trip was to and from Kolar to Chennai. It's scenic but the roads were mostly two-lanes and had dense traffic at a lot of places. I am pretty frequent on the Chennai-Bangalore route and I always go through Krishnagiri. The roads are very nice till Vellore. After that there are quite a few patchworks. Before entering Chennai, the road surface is wavy/undulated and you have to be careful.
Drive safe!
Anand.
Roads&Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 13:10   #2329
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the day/time and whom you are travelling with.

If its in the day and not on a weekend and if you are not driving with family, you can take Chittoor route.
But be prepared for two lane traffic and Crossing Palamaner and BangaruPalayam might will be slow due to town traffic there.
Not much of options for break. Truck traffic might be high, but TOLL rates are low.

If you driving through dusk and also with a family, then its Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur always. Excellent roads after Chennasamudram too, Lot of options to have a decent food, breaks,
A few KMs extra and a bit higher on TOLL rates, but always peaceful to drive and you will sure enjoy your drive.
hamster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:50   #2330
BHPian

Found a new route yesterday on my return from Chennai to Bangalore.

This route is primarily for folks trying to take the Kanchipuram-Walajabad-Oragadam-Vandalur route, and helps in avoiding the Kanchipuram traffic a whole lot.

On my return trip this time, had to pick up a friend from Chromepet and decided to take the Vandalur-Oragadam-Kanchipuram route. We once tried to avoid getting into Kanchipuram town by taking the "Military Road" before Kanchipuram, but ended up getting into Kanchipuram town due to wrong turn.
This time, my friend had saved the routes with offline maps , and since it was not too late into the evening, decided to take the route.

Here is the route :
https://goo.gl/maps/MJ6Mhq1o9932.

Could manage to avoid Kanchipuram traffic and hit the Chennai-Bangalore Highway in about 10 mins from Military Road. The only flip side is the military road has sharp bends and is a village road, but after Sevlimedu (near the Palar river turn off) that there was an awesome road awaited us till about the main highway.

One more word of caution, is that looks to be expansion works are going on around Oragadam industrial corridor. There are couple of places where the traffic is on a single lane.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:02   #2331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
On my return trip this time, had to pick up a friend from Chromepet and decided to take the Vandalur-Oragadam-Kanchipuram route. We once tried to avoid getting into Kanchipuram town by taking the "Military Road" before Kanchipuram, but ended up getting into Kanchipuram town due to wrong turn.
You just validated what I was proposing for Kanchi bypass! Thank you!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3924390

On a different note, what you should try is this: Route Link

This is while going towards Chennai. After Orgadam, turns towards Mudichur and Gandhi road. That will basically avoid Tambaram bus stand totally. (See the route link I attached) (Even I should try this some time! ) I mean Kanchi-Orgadam route. Especially since the Kanchi-Sriperumbudur is so full of trucks and horrible roads.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2016 at 22:47.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:44   #2332
Senior - BHPian

I had to travel to Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore for last 5 weeks everyweek and had noticed lot of pot holes are emerging particularly from Madras-Chennasamudram toll (approximately 100 kms) and the drive has become very bumpy. The other side is also not great either though there are small patches of decent roads for couple of kms. The 6L conversion work is also stopped and came to halt.

The roads were kinda okay thought not great at beginning of this year, but its now back to square one. Not worth paying the tolls as earlier. Complaining is also of no use as it is going to deaf ears and is like this...

-Ravi
Old 12th May 2016, 18:49   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I had to travel to Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore for last 5 weeks everyweek and had noticed lot of pot holes are emerging particularly from Madras-Chennasamudram toll (approximately 100 kms) and the drive has become very bumpy. The other side is also not great either though there are small patches of decent roads for couple of kms. The 6L conversion work is also stopped and came to halt.

The roads were kinda okay thought not great at beginning of this year, but its now back to square one. Not worth paying the tolls as earlier. Complaining is also of no use as it is going to deaf ears and is like this...

-Ravi
Time to follow TOLL FREE SURESH'S policy of not paying tolls.

Jokes apart not able to understand the apathy shown by NHAI on the vellore sriperumbudur stretch
Old 15th May 2016, 11:35   #2334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
At least beat the Sriperumbudur toll. Take the Tambaram SH via Manimangalam. Its a nice road. But if have to head up north, nothing can be done. Walajah-Chennai section is horrible to say the least. Potholes, rough patch work and not to say may sections roads actually caving in. And that apart constant flow of sand-trucks and buses. The traffic makes it even worse. The only solution I think is a 3AM start. That would mean, being past Walajah at about 6/6:30. This stretch of 225km can be done in about 2:30/3 hours. What that gives you is only bad roads and some sandtrucks. Inter-state buses would just be starting and you would be home by 8.

The situation is better on the way back. Typically expect bad situation till the Saint Gobain factory. Here also what I have found is a 12-1 PM start works best. You delay a bit, then the traffic some how builds up (esp the trucks).

Last edited by ampere : 16th May 2016 at 00:42.
Old 15th May 2016, 13:27   #2335
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
At least beat the Sriperumbudur toll. Take the Tambaram SH via Manimangalam. Its a nice road. But if have to head up north, nothing can be done. Walajah-Chennai section is horrible to say the least. Potholes, rough patch work and not to say may sections roads actually caving in. And that apart constant flow of sand-trucks and buses. The traffic makes it even worse. The only solution I think is a 3AM start. That would mean, being past Walajah at about 6/6:30. This stretch of 225km can be done in about 2:30. What that gives you is only bad roads and some sandtrucks. Inter-state buses would just be starting and you would be home by 8.

The situation is better on the way back. Typically expect bad situation till the Saint Gobain factory. Here also what I have found is a 12-1 PM start works best. You delay a bit, then the traffic some how builds up (esp the trucks).
I drove there last week to visit the folks and for some work there.
Left BLR on Thursday at about 745am. Reached the house there at 1pm sharp with just one bio break en route.
The road is lovely except for the last bit from Sriperumbudur onwards where the surfaces are terrible.
Similarly on the way back on Saturday I left at 7 am and got here to Hosur by 12, driving slowly. I also got caught in a lot of traffic outside Madras right up to the Walajapet Toll. Horrible. Lots of halfwits on the road that day! The last one hour was easily consumed between Hosur and Bangalore because of stacks of truck and other traffic, none of whom follow lane discipline.
Old 16th May 2016, 00:42   #2336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Similarly on the way back on Saturday I left at 7 am and got here to Hosur by 12, driving slowly. I also got caught in a lot of traffic outside Madras right up to the Walajapet Toll. Horrible. Lots of halfwits on the road that day!
This is a perennial problem form Chennai. Getting to Ponnamallee and there onto Sriperumbudur toll. Its worse till and the marginally improves till Walaja. But its still. It only becomes good past that once you see that refreshing 6-lane. After that its smooth sailing.

Quote:
The last one hour was easily consumed between Hosur and Bangalore because of stacks of truck and other traffic, none of whom follow lane discipline.
This has improved over the last year; thanks to 6-lane
Old 20th May 2016, 12:35   #2337
BHPian

Will be driving from Chennai to B'lore this weekend with family. This is my first drive on this route, hence sticking to the via Hosur option even though the destination is Whitefield. A few queries:

1. What's the total toll these days via Hosur?

2. If I leave around 2 pm, will I have to spend a lot of time at toll gates?

3. Am planning at least 2 stops enroute, one near Vellore and another near Krishnagiri. The priority is clean rest rooms for the family and maybe some veg snacks near Krishnagiri. Any suggestions?

4. What would the best route to Whitefield once I cross Hosur?

Requesting guidance.
Old 20th May 2016, 13:09   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaanveshi View Post
Will be driving from Chennai to B'lore this weekend with family. This is my first drive on this route, hence sticking to the via Hosur option even though the destination is Whitefield. A few queries:

3. Am planning at least 2 stops enroute, one near Vellore and another near Krishnagiri. The priority is clean rest rooms for the family and maybe some veg snacks near Krishnagiri. Any suggestions?

Requesting guidance.
1.Refer the enclosed image for toll rates.
2. Waiting time is always a variable factor. Difficult to predict
3. There are plenty of options to break for food enroute Krishnagiri like saravana bhavan, Lakshmi nivas or vilas, Kamat, A2B etc
4. From Hosur, come to Attibele and take a turn towards Sarjapur road till you reach Varthur. Next is Whitefield

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chennai-toll.gif

Last edited by suresh_gs : 20th May 2016 at 13:11.
Old 20th May 2016, 13:23   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Requesting guidance.
1. I maybe wrong here, but recollecting from my last trip, I think it is ~400.

2. Depends on the timing. Leaving at 2PM (assuming it is on Saturday, you should not see any abnormal wait times)

3. Regulars may able to guide better, but my preferences were as follows. near Vellore-Hotel Alankar. (Location Map Link). Near Krishnagiri the common option is A2B few km after the Krishnagiri toll. will be on the right side when coming from Chennai. Decent enough, but has been around for some time and the age is showing. There are few other places also in this stretch. Another option which I love is Hotel Sai Sangeet. This is near Ambur-~50km before Krishnagiri (Location Map). Excellent food.

4. Would recommend Hosur-Attibelle-Right turn under the flyover after the toll to Sarjapur Road- Left Turn at Sarjapur Junction- Dommasandra- Right turn to Varthur-Whitefield Road- Whitefield. (Route Link)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th May 2016 at 13:25.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 13:35   #2340
BHPian

Quote:

Requesting guidance.
2. Depends on where are you starting from. Traffic till Sriperumpudur & road condition till Kanchee is bad. If you are coming from south, Take Tambaram -Manimangalam-Sriperumpudur road

3. There are plenty of stop options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
4. From Hosur, come to Attibele and take a turn towards Sarjapur road till you reach Varthur. Next is Whitefield
Remember to take the service lane after paying the toll @toll booth near border after crossing hosur (Don't take the bridge). You need to take right below the bridge to Sarjapur. It's evening time, and it's a veg market place below bridge but not hard to navigate through. but easy to miss. In this you can avoid the Saturday evening madness of blr traffic.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks